|By Jeremy Geelan||
|March 4, 2009 11:30 AM EST||
Sun is joining Amazon and IBM in the top industry keynote lineup for SYS-CON's 2nd International Cloud Computing Conference & Expo in New York, March 30-April 1, co-located with the 5th International Virtualization Conference & Expo. Sun's Sr. VP of Cloud Computing, David Douglas, will be joining Amazon's CTO Dr Werner Vogels and IBM's Cloud Computing CTO Kristof Kloeckner. Between them these three industry thought leaders represent extremely well the steadily growing importance of Cloud Computing in the world of Enterprise IT.
Douglas's keynote will be entitled "A World of Many Clouds."
Sun is committed to making cloud computing a pervasive reality. Sun's open source philosophy and Java principles form the core of a strategy to provide interoperability for large-scale computing resources through open and transparent cloud platforms that minimize lock-in.
Sun envisions a world of many clouds, delivered by different service providers, to meet a variety of business needs:
- Public: A scalable, multi-tenant environment you can leverage with minimal upfront resources to deploy applications quickly
- Private: A data center you that you own/operate, built to cloud standards, to service both internal and external customers, control costs, and smooth demand
- Hybrid: You own some, retaining control over key parts of your infrastructure. And you use some, leveraging public resources to test applications, add additional capacity when needed, and offload non-critical resources.
In his keynote session, Douglas will investigate how enterprise IT operations can take advantage of this emerging world of many clouds to achieve the cost and flexibility advantages that cloud computing allows while maintaining control of their IT infrastructure.
Cloud computing, Sun reminds the industry on its corporate web site devoted to the subject, "is about managing petascale data" - and its server and storage systems are all designed "to radically improve the data-intensive computing emerging in the cloud." All without having to invest in new infrastructure, train new personnel, or license new software.
Douglas, who also serves as Sun's Chief Sustainability Officer, will be speaking on April 1, 2009 at 8:30AM. Cloud Computing Conference & Expo 2009 East is a three-day event, and is being held at The Roosevelt Hotel in New York City.
Sun CEO Jonathan Schwartz recently expressed his vision for Java and stressed the new role that Cloud Computing is beginning to play in the company's technology roadmap. "At Sun, we're planning on maintaining Java's ubiquity as the number one runtime environment, backed by the world's most price performant datacenter infrastructure, all powered by Sun's cloud," he wrote.
SYS-CON's 1st International Cloud Computing Conference & Expo took place last November in San Jose, CA, with more than 1,200 delegates. See conference photo album here.
In addition to Sun's keynote, and the keynotes by Amazon and IBM, the Conference offers over 100 technical breakout sessions, general sessions, SYS-CON.TV "Power Panels," and more. Below is a selection of the technical- and strategy-focused sessions we have on offer March 30-April 1.
You can follow the Event - and those planning to attend - by connecting to the Event on LinkedIn.
About the Speaker: Dave Douglas is Senior Vice President of Cloud Computing and is also Chief Sustainability Officer at Sun Microsystems. He is responsible for Sun's cloud computing business, with a focus on creating reliable, scalable and sustainable computing and storage servers, as well as the company's developer tools and services. In addition, Dave oversees the strategy and execution of environmental initiatives across the company, including enhancements to Sun's products in the areas of energy efficiency, cooling technologies, product recycling and clean manufacturing.
Douglas has been in the high-tech industry for more than two decades, including more than ten years of experience leading organizations to build more innovative, efficient, and eco responsible products and has a long-standing passion about environmental issues. He earned both B.S. and M.S. degrees in Electrical Engineering and Computer Science from MIT. Dave is on the board of the National Ecological Observatory Network (NEON) and a Sr. Fellow at the Breakthrough Institute.
Cloud Computing Conference & Expo 2009 East features a top-notch lineup of speakers from the leading industry players of the main layers of the Cloud ecosystem - the infrastructure players, the platform providers, and those offering applications and services. The lineup includes, among others:
- Vik Chaudhary - VP of Corporate Development, Keynote Systems
- Peter Coffee - Director of Platform Research, Salesforce.com
- Doug Tidwell - Senior Software Engineer, IBM
- Prasad Rampalli - VP, Digital Enterprise Group, Intel
- David Bernstein - VP & GM of Cloud Computing, Cisco
- Glenn Brunette - Chief Security Architect, Sun
- Sajai Krishnan - CEO, ParaScale
- Ken Oestreich - Vice President, Egenera
- Patrick Kerpan - CTO, CohesiveFT
- Thorsten von Eicken - CTO and Co-Founder, RightScale
- Scott Sanchez - Chief Technology Architect, Unisys
- Scott Wiener - Co-Founder & CTO, Cloud9 Analytics
- Jeff Bauer - Creative Director, Forbes.com
- Anthony Arrott - Special Assistant to the CTO, Trend Micro
- Stuart Charlton - Chief Software Architect, Elastra
- David Bressler - Principal Architect, Progress Software
- Raghavan Srinivas - Technology Evangelist, Intuit
- Brian Zanghi - President & CEO, Kadient
- Kevin Jackson - Director of Business Development, Dataline
- Bob Quinn - Founder, Chairman & CTO of 3Leaf Systems
- David Linthicum - Editor-in-Chief, Virtualization Journal
- Bill McColl - Founder & CEO, Cloudscale
- Omer Trajman - Director of Field Engineering, Vertica Systems
- Jon Pyke - Chief Strategy Officer, Cordys
The organizing principle of each Cloud Computing Conference & Expo is that through our intensive 3-day schedule of keynotes, general and breakout sessions, attending delegates will be assured of leaving the Conference with abundant resources, ideas and examples they can apply immediately to leveraging the Cloud, helping them to maximize performance, minimize cost and improve the scale of their endeavors.
Jul. 1, 2015 05:00 PM EDT Reads: 802
Jul. 1, 2015 03:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,046
Jul. 1, 2015 02:21 PM EDT Reads: 569
Jul. 1, 2015 11:30 AM EDT Reads: 2,242
Jul. 1, 2015 11:30 AM EDT Reads: 788
Jul. 1, 2015 10:30 AM EDT Reads: 2,131
Jul. 1, 2015 09:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,946
Jul. 1, 2015 08:00 AM EDT Reads: 934
Jun. 29, 2015 12:15 PM EDT Reads: 2,702
Jun. 29, 2015 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,191
Jun. 29, 2015 09:45 AM EDT Reads: 2,541
Jun. 28, 2015 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,241
Jun. 27, 2015 10:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,261
Jun. 26, 2015 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,251
Jun. 26, 2015 10:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,127
Jun. 25, 2015 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,040
Jun. 25, 2015 01:30 PM EDT Reads: 2,194
Jun. 22, 2015 02:15 PM EDT Reads: 2,837
Jun. 20, 2015 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 3,906
Jun. 15, 2015 08:45 PM EDT Reads: 4,159