|By Cloud News Desk||
|November 15, 2008 08:35 AM EST||
"These are still the early days of Cloud Computing, where delivery has so far focused primarily on price, as set by the market leader, Amazon," notes Dave Durkee, Founder, CEO & Technical Director of ENKI Consulting. "However, while successful in the Web 2.0 market," he adds, "price-based cloud computing is falling short of the expectations held by the Enterprise." He will be giving a breakout session next week at SYS-CON's 1st International Cloud Computing Conference & Expo (November 19-21, 2008) being held at The Fairmont Hotel in San Jose, CA.
To address the Enterprise market, in Durkee's view, cloud offerings will begin to move to address the separate market segments that are focused on price and value.
"Value-based cloud offerings will focus on Enterprise requirements, including reliability, performance, deployability, security, and services. This means providing trusted 4- and 5-nines computing together with operations services as a total solution to lowering the barriers for Enterprises to move part or all of their applications to the cloud," he asserts.
These new 4- and 5-nines cloud vendors, Durkee will explain in his session, will leverage and deliver tried and true corporate IT best practices together with new cloud-enabling technologies to provide carrier-grade service to their Enterprise customer, moving up the value chain from providing inexpensive compute cycles to collaborative solutions to their customers.
Durkee is Founder, CEO & Technical Director of ENKI. He has over 20 years of experience in networking, business applications development, IT infrastructure, and executive corporate management. He has held several senior management positions in IT, including most recently being CIO of a successful hosted ERP application service provider, Netsuite.com. Durkee has also designed and managed the build-out of an award-winning million-customer data center based on multitier redundant arrays of servers and network-attached storage. He also has extensive experience with enterprise applications development and deployment on Microsoft and Linux platforms for large and small customers, including large client-server database applications.
Between them, Durkee and the other distinguished speakers at SYS-CON's 1st International Cloud Computing Conference & Expo will be covering every aspect of the hottest IT topic for years, with not just Amazon but also IBM, Microsoft, Google, Yahoo, Intel, HP and a host of others all offering, using or developing high-end computing services typically described as “cloud computing” - through which massively scalable IT-related capabilities are provided as a service using Internet technologies.
Forrester Research analyst James Staten calls cloud computing "classic disruptive innovation - where the mainstream dismisses the product and small companies have time to create a real differentiated value." But there are so many offerings just now that what infrastructure architects are looking for above all is a set of organizing principles they can use to guide them in choosing between them all.
Such principles. and a host of associated topics, will be addressed in San Jose by a Top Speaker Faculty that includes:
- Dr Werner Vogels - VP & CTO, Amazon.com (Keynote)
- Mike Feinberg - Senior Vice President, Cloud Infrastructure Group, EMC
- Steve Herrod - CTO, VMware
- David Bernstein - VP & GM of Network Applications Infrastructure, Cisco
- Rob Weltman - Director of Grid Services, Yahoo!
- Peter Nickolov - President CTO, 3tera
- Kevin Haar - President & CEO, Appistry
- Songnian Zhou - Co-Founder & CEO, Platform Computing
- Patrick Harr - CEO, Nirvanix
- Gerrit Huizenga - Cloud Solutions Architect, IBM
- John Keagy - CEO & Co-Founder, GoGrid/ServePath
- Sajai Krishnan - CEO, ParaScale
- Reuven Cohen - Founder & Chief Technologist, Enomaly
- Mike Eaton - CEO, Cloudworks
- Jonathan Bryce - Founder at Mosso (Rackspace)
- Nati Shalom - CTO, GigaSpaces
- Don MacAskill - CEO & Chief Geek, SmugMug
- Billy Marshall - Founder & Chief Strategy Officer, rPath
- Dr Thorsten von Eicken - CTO & Founder, RightScale
- Jonathan Pyke - Chief Strategy Office, Cordys
- Jason Stowe - Founder & CEO, Cycle Computing
- David Young - Co-Founder & CEO, Joyent
- Dave Durkee - Founder, CEO & Technical Director, ENKI
- John Janakiraman - CTO, Skytap
- Stuart Charlton - Chief Software Architect, Elastra
- Lars Leckie, Principal, Hummer Winblad Venture Partners
- Dr Rich Wolski - Professor, U.C. Santa Barbara
- Javier Soltero - Co-Founder & CEO of Hyperic
- Omer Trajman - Director of Field Engineering, Vertica Systems
- Rachel Chalmers - Senior Analyst, Enterprise Software, The 451 Group
and with a special Cloud Bootcamp on November 20 led by
- Alan Williamson, Founder at Blog-City.com, Creator of BlueDragon
All breakout sessions are all listed in further detail here.
Speaker Faculty - SYS-CON's 1st International Cloud Computing Conference & Expo
Register Today for Cloud Computing Expo and Save $100 !
Sponsorship and Exhibit Opportunities
Sponsorship and Exhibit Opportunities Offered on a First-Come First-Served Basis. To inquire about sponsorship and exhibit opportunities please contact Carmen Gonzalez at 201-802-3021 or by email at events(at)sys-con.com. Currently, a limited number of sponsorship and exhibition packages with multiple sponsorship discounts are available for the upcoming events.
|ericnovikoff 10/29/08 06:19:41 PM EDT|
Great article - but that's not a picture of Dave Durkee!
- The Odd Couple: Marrying Agile and Waterfall
- Fanning the Flames of Agile
- Internet of @ThingsExpo Silicon Valley Call for Papers Now Open
- April and May 2014 Server and StorageIO Update newsletter
- MangoApps to Exhibit at Cloud Expo New York
- WSO2 Introduces Industry’s First Enterprise Identity Bus With the Launch of WSO2 Identity Server 5.0
- Practical WebRTC: From API to Solution
- Last Chance to Register for LTE World Summit
- The Butterfly Effect Within IT
- The Business Challenges Impacting Digital Transformation
- Stay Current on the Internet of Things
- Setting the Bar for Agile Architecture
- How to Get the Best From Virtual Employees
- Global Financial Firms Can Effectively Address Technology Risk Guidelines
- .CLUB Domain Name Extension Now Available for General Registration
- MapR Technologies Announces Upcoming June Conferences
- More Mainstream Businesses Depend on Open Source
- AMAG, HP, ImageWare Systems, March Networks and StrikeForce Discuss Security Solutions in SecuritySolutionsWatch.com Interviews
- F5 to Present at Upcoming Technology and Investor Conferences
- The Odd Couple: Marrying Agile and Waterfall
- Flexera Software’s InstallShield 2014 Release Introduces New Support of Cloud and Virtualised Installations, High-DPI Displays and Touch Devices, and Agile Development
- FlexNet Manager Suite Wins CODiE Award for Best Asset Management Solution - 4th CODiE Award for Flexera Software
- Fanning the Flames of Agile
- WSO2 Guest Speakers at WSO2Con Europe 2014 Will Examine Technology Developments and Best Practices Enabling the Connected Business
- The Top 150 Players in Cloud Computing
- Who Are The All-Time Heroes of i-Technology?
- Where Are RIA Technologies Headed in 2008?
- Success, Arrogance, Rise and Fall
- AJAX World RIA Conference & Expo Kicks Off in New York City
- The Top 250 Players in the Cloud Computing Ecosystem
- Personal Branding Checklist
- i-Technology Viewpoint: Attack of the Blogs
- Exclusive Q&A with Jeff Haynie, Co-Founder & CEO, Appcelerator
- Cloud People: A Who's Who of Cloud Computing
- Ulitzer Names the World's 30 Most Influential Cloud Computing Bloggers
- Web 2.0 News and Wrapping Up "Real-World AJAX" Seminar