|By PR Newswire||
|August 12, 2014 04:00 PM EDT||
DAYTONA BEACH, Fla., Aug. 12, 2014 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- The world-renowned U.S. Air Force Thunderbirds will join an action-packed weekend of aerial performances by more than 40 aircraft over the Atlantic Ocean at Embry-Riddle's Wings & Waves Air Show on Oct. 11-12, 2014, in Daytona Beach.
The air show begins at 11:30 a.m. daily on the shore in front of the Hilton Daytona Beach Oceanfront Resort. The event is free and open to the public.
Numerous Embry-Riddle alumni are scheduled to participate, including three Embry-Riddle 2011 Worldwide graduates as lead pilots of the Thunderbirds, GEICO Skytyper lead solo pilot Steve Salmirs and Quick Silver P-51 Mustang pilot Scott "Scooter" Yoak along with Embry-Riddle sponsored aerobatic performer Matt Chapman.
"Embry-Riddle's Wings & Waves is more than your average air show," said Embry-Riddle President Dr. John P. Johnson. "It's a celebration of our students, the community we call home and a deep-rooted love of aviation. This year is especially exciting as we are proud of the Embry-Riddle graduates in the show."
- U.S. Air Force Thunderbirds – Now in its 61st year of wowing audiences with combat fighter pilot skills, the 130-person squadron known as the "Ambassadors in Blue" represents nearly 700,000 active-duty, guard and reserve airmen serving at home and abroad – including several team members who are Embry-Riddle graduates (Worldwide, '11). Graduates Capt. Joshua Boudreaux (Thunderbird No. 2, Left Wing), Maj. Curtis Dougherty (Thunderbird No. 4, Slot) and Maj. Jason Curtis (Thunderbird No. 6, Opposing Solo) join other Embry-Riddle alumni including a Maintenance Support Flight Chief, Assistant Dedicated Crew Chief, Aerospace Ground Equipment Technician and Maintenance Officer. The demonstration is a mix of six aircraft performing formation flying and solo routines. www.afthunderbirds.com
- GEICO Skytypers – A flight squadron of six vintage World War II airplanes performing a precision-flight demonstration, the GEICO Skytypers are the only civilian squadron typing their giant dot-matrix style messages at air shows across the U.S. Their 18-minute demonstration highlights the unique features of the aircraft in addition to maneuvers utilized during WWII. Embry-Riddle Daytona Beach Campus alumnus Steve Salmirs is the lead solo. www.geicoskytypers.com
- Jack Link's Screamin' Sasquatch Jet Waco – Sponsored by Jack Link's and John Klatt Airshows, this aircraft is one-of-a-kind – a biplane with a jet engine that performs maneuvers no other aircraft can, including extreme vertical climbs, flat spins, snap rolls, torque rolls and even a hover. The pilot, Jeff Boerboon, is a two-time Advanced National Champion, past member of the U.S. Advanced Aerobatic Team, past member and captain of the U.S. Unlimited Aerobatic Team and U.S. Unlimited Aerobatic Champion. He joined John Klatt Airshows in 2012, flying both formation and solo performances. Jack Link's: www.jacklinks.com/the-wild-side/screamin-sasquatch.aspx John Klatt Airshows: www.johnklattairshows.com
- Matt Chapman – An airline pilot who began flying aerobatics in 1984, Chapman quickly worked his way up to the highest level of competition aerobatics – the Unlimited category. At the 1998 World Aerobatic Championships, Chapman was the highest-ranking American pilot, finishing third in the world with a bronze medal, and leading the men's team to a silver medal. He performs around the country in more than a dozen air shows annually representing Embry-Riddle. www.mattchapman.com
- Rob Holland – Flying the MX2 aerobatic aircraft by MX Aircraft Ultimate Airshows, Holland earned his title as current U.S. National Unlimited Aerobatic Champion and World Gold Medal winner in freestyle aerobatics by pushing the envelope of advanced aerobatic aircraft with a mixture of high and low altitude maneuvers. www.ultimateairshows.com
- Patty Wagstaff – A six-time member of the U.S. Aerobatic Team, Wagstaff has won gold, silver and bronze medals in Olympic-level international aerobatic competitions. She is the first woman to win the title of U.S. National Aerobatic Champion and one of the few people to win it three times. www.pattywagstaff.com
- Miss G Offshore Racing Boat – Sponsored by GEICO Insurance and owned by the country's premier and fastest-performing powerboat racing team, AMF (America Moving Forward) Offshore racing, has won seven World Championship titles since the team's inception in 2005. With the duo of Driver Marc Granet and Throttleman Scott Begovich, Miss GEICO holds numerous world speed runs and records. www.missgeicoracing.com
- Firebirds Xtreme – The internationally renowned aerobatics team of Jack Knutson in his Extra 300/s and Rob Holland in his MXS-RH delivers a high-energy, nonstop performance combining the precision of formation aerobatics with radical gyroscopic tumbles and dramatic head-on maneuvers. Their act also includes choreographed music and cockpit narration. Facebook: www.facebook.com/FirebirdsXtreme Rob Holland Ultimate Airshows: www.ultimateairshows.com
- 4CE Formation Aerobatics – The 4CE is a formation aerobatic team with Matt Chapman in lead, Jack Knutson on left wing and Rob Holland on right wing. These aerobatic stars have combined their talents to form one of the newest and most exciting formation teams in aviation. Facebook: www.facebook.com/The4CETeam
- Lucas Oil Skydivers – This precision skydiving team is led by jumper Nick Halseth, who also works as a freefall videographer and Cirrus parachute packer with three saves. The other skydivers include Luke Evens, who is a skydive instructor and videographer; instructor and tandem instructor Ryan Albrecht; medical device engineer and jump instructor Andy Junghans; and mechanical engineer-inventor-author Jim Skakoon. Halseth, Junghans and Skakoon are gold medal winners. www.lucasoilairshows.com
- Scooter Yoak, Quick Silver P-51 Mustang – Quick Silver P-51 Mustang, piloted by Scott "Scooter" Yoak, is a special commemoration of our nation's armed forces. Every aspect of the aircraft represents those individuals who have served and those who made the ultimate sacrifice. This aircraft was built from more than 200 Mustang parts and projects – the remanufactured parts were handmade with the great attention to detail necessary to restore the Mustang to a condition better than factory-new in 1945. http://quicksilvermustang.com
- Jim Tobul, F4U-4 Corsair – This 1945 aircraft, dubbed the "Korean War Hero," is piloted by Jim Tobul in air shows across the country. Restored by Jim and Joe Tobul over the course of 10 years, the plane still bears the marks of its history – three combat flak repair patches on the starboard wing and rear fuselage. www.koreanwarhero.com
- Gene McNeely T-6 Aerobatics – Gene McNeely is a world-renowned air show performer with the award-winning Aeroshell Aerobatic Team, executing his high-energy solo routines in a World War II-era T-6 Texan trainer. In addition to performing at air shows, Gene flies a T-6 in the Reno Air Races and has finished in the top five since 1986. www.naat.net/Newsite2012/Team/Gene/Gene.html
- Paul Schulten, Eagle Aerobatics – Paul Schulten's experimental category 2001 Christen Eagle was built by Pete Gnaedinger of Glide Aero in 2001. Schulten has flown a wide variety of aircraft, including gliders, most general aviation planes, business jets and the 737 and DC-9. He has flown for Southwest Airlines for 21 years. http://eagleairshow.com
Aviator, author and broadcaster Sonny Everett will be the Master of Ceremonies. Hired for his first air show announcing gig in 1963 at age 17, Everett has been a guest on numerous TV and radio shows; has been featured in movies as an actor and stuntman; and serves as an expert commentator on aviation safety matters.
In addition to Embry-Riddle's title sponsorship, other sponsors include Hilton Daytona Beach Oceanfront Resort, GEICO, City of Daytona Beach, Bright House, Volusia County, Sheltair, Daytona Beach International Airport, Lucas Oil and Jack Link's Beef Jerky.
For sponsorship involvement and volunteer opportunities, contact Rick Grissom at [email protected]. For visitor information and media registration, go to the event's official website at wingsandwaves.com.
About Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University
Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University, the world's largest, fully accredited university specializing in aviation and aerospace, is a nonprofit, independent institution offering more than 70 baccalaureate, master's and Ph.D. degree programs in its colleges of Arts & Sciences, Aviation, Business, Engineering and Security & Intelligence. Embry-Riddle educates students at residential campuses in Daytona Beach, Fla., and Prescott, Ariz., through the Worldwide Campus with more than 150 locations in the United States, Europe, Asia and the Middle East, and through online programs. The university is a major research center, seeking solutions to real-world problems in partnership with the aerospace industry, other universities and government agencies. For more information, visit http://www.embryriddle.edu, follow us on Twitter (@EmbryRiddle) and facebook.com/EmbryRiddleUniversity, and find expert videos at YouTube.com/EmbryRiddleUniv.
Director, University Communications
Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University
Office: (386) 226-7538
Cell: (386) 283-0753
Communications & Media Relations Manager, Daytona Beach Campus
Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University
Office: (386) 226-6198
Cell: (386) 846-1835
SOURCE Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University
SYS-CON Events announced today that On the Avenue Marketing Group, a sales and marketing firm that utilizes events to market and sell products to consumers, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. On the Avenue Marketing Group (OTA) is a sales and marketing firm that utilizes events to market and sell products to consumers. On behalf of our clients, we attend thousands of fairs, festivals, expos, concerts, conferences, and sporting events annually, helping them reach millions of individuals ...
Apr. 26, 2015 07:30 PM EDT Reads: 3,507
Containers and microservices have become topics of intense interest throughout the cloud developer and enterprise IT communities. Accordingly, attendees at the upcoming 16th Cloud Expo at the Javits Center in New York June 9-11 will find fresh new content in a new track called PaaS | Containers & Microservices Containers are not being considered for the first time by the cloud community, but a current era of re-consideration has pushed them to the top of the cloud agenda. With the launch of Docker's initial release in March of 2013, interest was revved up several notches. Then late last...
Apr. 26, 2015 07:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,892
“In the past year we've seen a lot of stabilization of WebRTC. You can now use it in production with a far greater degree of certainty. A lot of the real developments in the past year have been in things like the data channel, which will enable a whole new type of application," explained Peter Dunkley, Technical Director at Acision, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at @ThingsExpo, held Nov 4–6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Apr. 26, 2015 05:00 PM EDT Reads: 4,492
SYS-CON Media announced today that @WebRTCSummit Blog, the largest WebRTC resource in the world, has been launched. @WebRTCSummit Blog offers top articles, news stories, and blog posts from the world's well-known experts and guarantees better exposure for its authors than any other publication. @WebRTCSummit Blog can be bookmarked ▸ Here @WebRTCSummit conference site can be bookmarked ▸ Here
Apr. 26, 2015 03:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,515
SYS-CON Events announced today that Ciqada will exhibit at SYS-CON's @ThingsExpo, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Ciqada™ makes it easy to connect your products to the Internet. By integrating key components - hardware, servers, dashboards, and mobile apps - into an easy-to-use, configurable system, your products can quickly and securely join the internet of things. With remote monitoring, control, and alert messaging capability, you will meet your customers' needs of tomorrow - today! Ciqada. Let your products take flight. For more inform...
Apr. 26, 2015 03:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,934
Health care systems across the globe are under enormous strain, as facilities reach capacity and costs continue to rise. M2M and the Internet of Things have the potential to transform the industry through connected health solutions that can make care more efficient while reducing costs. In fact, Vodafone's annual M2M Barometer Report forecasts M2M applications rising to 57 percent in health care and life sciences by 2016. Lively is one of Vodafone's health care partners, whose solutions enable older adults to live independent lives while staying connected to loved ones. M2M will continue to gr...
Apr. 26, 2015 03:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,535
SYS-CON Events announced today that GENBAND, a leading developer of real time communications software solutions, has been named “Silver Sponsor” of SYS-CON's WebRTC Summit, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. The GENBAND team will be on hand to demonstrate their newest product, Kandy. Kandy is a communications Platform-as-a-Service (PaaS) that enables companies to seamlessly integrate more human communications into their Web and mobile applications - creating more engaging experiences for their customers and boosting collaboration and productiv...
Apr. 26, 2015 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,752
Dave will share his insights on how Internet of Things for Enterprises are transforming and making more productive and efficient operations and maintenance (O&M) procedures in the cleantech industry and beyond. Speaker Bio: Dave Landa is chief operating officer of Cybozu Corp (kintone US). Based in the San Francisco Bay Area, Dave has been on the forefront of the Cloud revolution driving strategic business development on the executive teams of multiple leading Software as a Services (SaaS) application providers dating back to 2004. Cybozu's kintone.com is a leading global BYOA (Build Your O...
Apr. 26, 2015 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,579
The best mobile applications are augmented by dedicated servers, the Internet and Cloud services. Mobile developers should focus on one thing: writing the next socially disruptive viral app. Thanks to the cloud, they can focus on the overall solution, not the underlying plumbing. From iOS to Android and Windows, developers can leverage cloud services to create a common cross-platform backend to persist user settings, app data, broadcast notifications, run jobs, etc. This session provides a high level technical overview of many cloud services available to mobile app developers, includi...
Apr. 26, 2015 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,429
SYS-CON Events announced today that BroadSoft, the leading global provider of Unified Communications and Collaboration (UCC) services to operators worldwide, has been named “Gold Sponsor” of SYS-CON's WebRTC Summit, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. BroadSoft is the leading provider of software and services that enable mobile, fixed-line and cable service providers to offer Unified Communications over their Internet Protocol networks. The Company’s core communications platform enables the delivery of a range of enterprise and consumer calling...
Apr. 26, 2015 01:30 PM EDT Reads: 2,562
While not quite mainstream yet, WebRTC is starting to gain ground with Carriers, Enterprises and Independent Software Vendors (ISV’s) alike. WebRTC makes it easy for developers to add audio and video communications into their applications by using Web browsers as their platform. But like any market, every customer engagement has unique requirements, as well as constraints. And of course, one size does not fit all. In her session at WebRTC Summit, Dr. Natasha Tamaskar, Vice President, Head of Cloud and Mobile Strategy at GENBAND, will explore what is needed to take a real time communications ...
Apr. 26, 2015 01:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,801
What exactly is a cognitive application? In her session at 16th Cloud Expo, Ashley Hathaway, Product Manager at IBM Watson, will look at the services being offered by the IBM Watson Developer Cloud and what that means for developers and Big Data. She'll explore how IBM Watson and its partnerships will continue to grow and help define what it means to be a cognitive service, as well as take a look at the offerings on Bluemix. She will also check out how Watson and the Alchemy API team up to offer disruptive APIs to developers.
Apr. 26, 2015 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,869
The IoT Bootcamp is coming to Cloud Expo | @ThingsExpo on June 9-10 at the Javits Center in New York. Instructor. Registration is now available at http://iotbootcamp.sys-con.com/ Instructor Janakiram MSV previously taught the famously successful Multi-Cloud Bootcamp at Cloud Expo | @ThingsExpo in November in Santa Clara. Now he is expanding the focus to Janakiram is the founder and CTO of Get Cloud Ready Consulting, a niche Cloud Migration and Cloud Operations firm that recently got acquired by Aditi Technologies. He is a Microsoft Regional Director for Hyderabad, India, and one of the f...
Apr. 26, 2015 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,678
The 17th International Cloud Expo has announced that its Call for Papers is open. 17th International Cloud Expo, to be held November 3-5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, brings together Cloud Computing, APM, APIs, Microservices, Security, Big Data, Internet of Things, DevOps and WebRTC to one location. With cloud computing driving a higher percentage of enterprise IT budgets every year, it becomes increasingly important to plant your flag in this fast-expanding business opportunity. Submit your speaking proposal today!
Apr. 26, 2015 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,329
WebRTC is an up-and-coming standard that enables real-time voice and video to be directly embedded into browsers making the browser a primary user interface for communications and collaboration. WebRTC runs in a number of browsers today and is currently supported in over a billion installed browsers globally, across a range of platform OS and devices. Today, organizations that choose to deploy WebRTC applications and use a host machine that supports audio through USB or Bluetooth can use Plantronics products to connect and transit or receive the audio associated with the WebRTC session.
Apr. 26, 2015 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,913
As enterprises move to all-IP networks and cloud-based applications, communications service providers (CSPs) – facing increased competition from over-the-top providers delivering content via the Internet and independently of CSPs – must be able to offer seamless cloud-based communication and collaboration solutions that can scale for small, midsize, and large enterprises, as well as public sector organizations, in order to keep and grow market share. The latest version of Oracle Communications Unified Communications Suite gives CSPs the capability to do just that. In addition, its integration ...
Apr. 26, 2015 11:30 AM EDT Reads: 4,429
SYS-CON Media announced today that @ThingsExpo Blog launched with 7,788 original stories. @ThingsExpo Blog offers top articles, news stories, and blog posts from the world's well-known experts and guarantees better exposure for its authors than any other publication. @ThingsExpo Blog can be bookmarked. The Internet of Things (IoT) is the most profound change in personal and enterprise IT since the creation of the Worldwide Web more than 20 years ago.
Apr. 26, 2015 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,573
The world's leading Cloud event, Cloud Expo has launched Microservices Journal on the SYS-CON.com portal, featuring over 19,000 original articles, news stories, features, and blog entries. DevOps Journal is focused on this critical enterprise IT topic in the world of cloud computing. Microservices Journal offers top articles, news stories, and blog posts from the world's well-known experts and guarantees better exposure for its authors than any other publication. Follow new article posts on Twitter at @MicroservicesE
Apr. 26, 2015 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,117
SYS-CON Events announced today that robomq.io will exhibit at SYS-CON's @ThingsExpo, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. robomq.io is an interoperable and composable platform that connects any device to any application. It helps systems integrators and the solution providers build new and innovative products and service for industries requiring monitoring or intelligence from devices and sensors.
Apr. 26, 2015 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,105
Wearable technology was dominant at this year’s International Consumer Electronics Show (CES) , and MWC was no exception to this trend. New versions of favorites, such as the Samsung Gear (three new products were released: the Gear 2, the Gear 2 Neo and the Gear Fit), shared the limelight with new wearables like Pebble Time Steel (the new premium version of the company’s previously released smartwatch) and the LG Watch Urbane. The most dramatic difference at MWC was an emphasis on presenting wearables as fashion accessories and moving away from the original clunky technology associated with t...
Apr. 26, 2015 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,117