|By PR Newswire||
|August 12, 2014 04:00 PM EDT||
DAYTONA BEACH, Fla., Aug. 12, 2014 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- The world-renowned U.S. Air Force Thunderbirds will join an action-packed weekend of aerial performances by more than 40 aircraft over the Atlantic Ocean at Embry-Riddle's Wings & Waves Air Show on Oct. 11-12, 2014, in Daytona Beach.
The air show begins at 11:30 a.m. daily on the shore in front of the Hilton Daytona Beach Oceanfront Resort. The event is free and open to the public.
Numerous Embry-Riddle alumni are scheduled to participate, including three Embry-Riddle 2011 Worldwide graduates as lead pilots of the Thunderbirds, GEICO Skytyper lead solo pilot Steve Salmirs and Quick Silver P-51 Mustang pilot Scott "Scooter" Yoak along with Embry-Riddle sponsored aerobatic performer Matt Chapman.
"Embry-Riddle's Wings & Waves is more than your average air show," said Embry-Riddle President Dr. John P. Johnson. "It's a celebration of our students, the community we call home and a deep-rooted love of aviation. This year is especially exciting as we are proud of the Embry-Riddle graduates in the show."
- U.S. Air Force Thunderbirds – Now in its 61st year of wowing audiences with combat fighter pilot skills, the 130-person squadron known as the "Ambassadors in Blue" represents nearly 700,000 active-duty, guard and reserve airmen serving at home and abroad – including several team members who are Embry-Riddle graduates (Worldwide, '11). Graduates Capt. Joshua Boudreaux (Thunderbird No. 2, Left Wing), Maj. Curtis Dougherty (Thunderbird No. 4, Slot) and Maj. Jason Curtis (Thunderbird No. 6, Opposing Solo) join other Embry-Riddle alumni including a Maintenance Support Flight Chief, Assistant Dedicated Crew Chief, Aerospace Ground Equipment Technician and Maintenance Officer. The demonstration is a mix of six aircraft performing formation flying and solo routines. www.afthunderbirds.com
- GEICO Skytypers – A flight squadron of six vintage World War II airplanes performing a precision-flight demonstration, the GEICO Skytypers are the only civilian squadron typing their giant dot-matrix style messages at air shows across the U.S. Their 18-minute demonstration highlights the unique features of the aircraft in addition to maneuvers utilized during WWII. Embry-Riddle Daytona Beach Campus alumnus Steve Salmirs is the lead solo. www.geicoskytypers.com
- Jack Link's Screamin' Sasquatch Jet Waco – Sponsored by Jack Link's and John Klatt Airshows, this aircraft is one-of-a-kind – a biplane with a jet engine that performs maneuvers no other aircraft can, including extreme vertical climbs, flat spins, snap rolls, torque rolls and even a hover. The pilot, Jeff Boerboon, is a two-time Advanced National Champion, past member of the U.S. Advanced Aerobatic Team, past member and captain of the U.S. Unlimited Aerobatic Team and U.S. Unlimited Aerobatic Champion. He joined John Klatt Airshows in 2012, flying both formation and solo performances. Jack Link's: www.jacklinks.com/the-wild-side/screamin-sasquatch.aspx John Klatt Airshows: www.johnklattairshows.com
- Matt Chapman – An airline pilot who began flying aerobatics in 1984, Chapman quickly worked his way up to the highest level of competition aerobatics – the Unlimited category. At the 1998 World Aerobatic Championships, Chapman was the highest-ranking American pilot, finishing third in the world with a bronze medal, and leading the men's team to a silver medal. He performs around the country in more than a dozen air shows annually representing Embry-Riddle. www.mattchapman.com
- Rob Holland – Flying the MX2 aerobatic aircraft by MX Aircraft Ultimate Airshows, Holland earned his title as current U.S. National Unlimited Aerobatic Champion and World Gold Medal winner in freestyle aerobatics by pushing the envelope of advanced aerobatic aircraft with a mixture of high and low altitude maneuvers. www.ultimateairshows.com
- Patty Wagstaff – A six-time member of the U.S. Aerobatic Team, Wagstaff has won gold, silver and bronze medals in Olympic-level international aerobatic competitions. She is the first woman to win the title of U.S. National Aerobatic Champion and one of the few people to win it three times. www.pattywagstaff.com
- Miss G Offshore Racing Boat – Sponsored by GEICO Insurance and owned by the country's premier and fastest-performing powerboat racing team, AMF (America Moving Forward) Offshore racing, has won seven World Championship titles since the team's inception in 2005. With the duo of Driver Marc Granet and Throttleman Scott Begovich, Miss GEICO holds numerous world speed runs and records. www.missgeicoracing.com
- Firebirds Xtreme – The internationally renowned aerobatics team of Jack Knutson in his Extra 300/s and Rob Holland in his MXS-RH delivers a high-energy, nonstop performance combining the precision of formation aerobatics with radical gyroscopic tumbles and dramatic head-on maneuvers. Their act also includes choreographed music and cockpit narration. Facebook: www.facebook.com/FirebirdsXtreme Rob Holland Ultimate Airshows: www.ultimateairshows.com
- 4CE Formation Aerobatics – The 4CE is a formation aerobatic team with Matt Chapman in lead, Jack Knutson on left wing and Rob Holland on right wing. These aerobatic stars have combined their talents to form one of the newest and most exciting formation teams in aviation. Facebook: www.facebook.com/The4CETeam
- Lucas Oil Skydivers – This precision skydiving team is led by jumper Nick Halseth, who also works as a freefall videographer and Cirrus parachute packer with three saves. The other skydivers include Luke Evens, who is a skydive instructor and videographer; instructor and tandem instructor Ryan Albrecht; medical device engineer and jump instructor Andy Junghans; and mechanical engineer-inventor-author Jim Skakoon. Halseth, Junghans and Skakoon are gold medal winners. www.lucasoilairshows.com
- Scooter Yoak, Quick Silver P-51 Mustang – Quick Silver P-51 Mustang, piloted by Scott "Scooter" Yoak, is a special commemoration of our nation's armed forces. Every aspect of the aircraft represents those individuals who have served and those who made the ultimate sacrifice. This aircraft was built from more than 200 Mustang parts and projects – the remanufactured parts were handmade with the great attention to detail necessary to restore the Mustang to a condition better than factory-new in 1945. http://quicksilvermustang.com
- Jim Tobul, F4U-4 Corsair – This 1945 aircraft, dubbed the "Korean War Hero," is piloted by Jim Tobul in air shows across the country. Restored by Jim and Joe Tobul over the course of 10 years, the plane still bears the marks of its history – three combat flak repair patches on the starboard wing and rear fuselage. www.koreanwarhero.com
- Gene McNeely T-6 Aerobatics – Gene McNeely is a world-renowned air show performer with the award-winning Aeroshell Aerobatic Team, executing his high-energy solo routines in a World War II-era T-6 Texan trainer. In addition to performing at air shows, Gene flies a T-6 in the Reno Air Races and has finished in the top five since 1986. www.naat.net/Newsite2012/Team/Gene/Gene.html
- Paul Schulten, Eagle Aerobatics – Paul Schulten's experimental category 2001 Christen Eagle was built by Pete Gnaedinger of Glide Aero in 2001. Schulten has flown a wide variety of aircraft, including gliders, most general aviation planes, business jets and the 737 and DC-9. He has flown for Southwest Airlines for 21 years. http://eagleairshow.com
Aviator, author and broadcaster Sonny Everett will be the Master of Ceremonies. Hired for his first air show announcing gig in 1963 at age 17, Everett has been a guest on numerous TV and radio shows; has been featured in movies as an actor and stuntman; and serves as an expert commentator on aviation safety matters.
In addition to Embry-Riddle's title sponsorship, other sponsors include Hilton Daytona Beach Oceanfront Resort, GEICO, City of Daytona Beach, Bright House, Volusia County, Sheltair, Daytona Beach International Airport, Lucas Oil and Jack Link's Beef Jerky.
For sponsorship involvement and volunteer opportunities, contact Rick Grissom at [email protected]. For visitor information and media registration, go to the event's official website at wingsandwaves.com.
About Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University
Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University, the world's largest, fully accredited university specializing in aviation and aerospace, is a nonprofit, independent institution offering more than 70 baccalaureate, master's and Ph.D. degree programs in its colleges of Arts & Sciences, Aviation, Business, Engineering and Security & Intelligence. Embry-Riddle educates students at residential campuses in Daytona Beach, Fla., and Prescott, Ariz., through the Worldwide Campus with more than 150 locations in the United States, Europe, Asia and the Middle East, and through online programs. The university is a major research center, seeking solutions to real-world problems in partnership with the aerospace industry, other universities and government agencies. For more information, visit http://www.embryriddle.edu, follow us on Twitter (@EmbryRiddle) and facebook.com/EmbryRiddleUniversity, and find expert videos at YouTube.com/EmbryRiddleUniv.
Director, University Communications
Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University
Office: (386) 226-7538
Cell: (386) 283-0753
Communications & Media Relations Manager, Daytona Beach Campus
Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University
Office: (386) 226-6198
Cell: (386) 846-1835
SOURCE Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University
SYS-CON Events announced today that SoftLayer, an IBM Company, has been named “Gold Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 18th Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York, New York. SoftLayer, an IBM Company, provides cloud infrastructure as a service from a growing number of data centers and network points of presence around the world. SoftLayer’s customers range from Web startups to global enterprises.
Apr. 29, 2017 11:15 AM EDT Reads: 2,359
SYS-CON Events announced today that Juniper Networks (NYSE: JNPR), an industry leader in automated, scalable and secure networks, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Juniper Networks challenges the status quo with products, solutions and services that transform the economics of networking. The company co-innovates with customers and partners to deliver automated, scalable and secure network...
Apr. 29, 2017 08:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,780
Five years ago development was seen as a dead-end career, now it’s anything but – with an explosion in mobile and IoT initiatives increasing the demand for skilled engineers. But apart from having a ready supply of great coders, what constitutes true ‘DevOps Royalty’? It’ll be the ability to craft resilient architectures, supportability, security everywhere across the software lifecycle. In his keynote at @DevOpsSummit at 20th Cloud Expo, Jeffrey Scheaffer, GM and SVP, Continuous Delivery Busine...
Apr. 29, 2017 08:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,297
Bert Loomis was a visionary. This general session will highlight how Bert Loomis and people like him inspire us to build great things with small inventions. In their general session at 19th Cloud Expo, Harold Hannon, Architect at IBM Bluemix, and Michael O'Neill, Strategic Business Development at Nvidia, discussed the accelerating pace of AI development and how IBM Cloud and NVIDIA are partnering to bring AI capabilities to "every day," on-demand. They also reviewed two "free infrastructure" pr...
Apr. 29, 2017 07:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,758
SYS-CON Events announced today that T-Mobile will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. As America's Un-carrier, T-Mobile US, Inc., is redefining the way consumers and businesses buy wireless services through leading product and service innovation. The Company's advanced nationwide 4G LTE network delivers outstanding wireless experiences to 67.4 million customers who are unwilling to compromise on ...
Apr. 29, 2017 07:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,530
SYS-CON Events announced today that Super Micro Computer, Inc., a global leader in compute, storage and networking technologies, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Supermicro (NASDAQ: SMCI), the leading innovator in high-performance, high-efficiency server technology, is a premier provider of advanced server Building Block Solutions® for Data Center, Cloud Computing, Enterprise IT, Hadoop/...
Apr. 29, 2017 05:30 AM EDT Reads: 2,584
With major technology companies and startups seriously embracing IoT strategies, now is the perfect time to attend @ThingsExpo 2016 in New York. Learn what is going on, contribute to the discussions, and ensure that your enterprise is as "IoT-Ready" as it can be! Internet of @ThingsExpo, taking place June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, New York, is co-located with 20th Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry p...
Apr. 29, 2017 05:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,590
Judith Hurwitz is president and CEO of Hurwitz & Associates, a Needham, Mass., research and consulting firm focused on emerging technology, including big data, cognitive computing and governance. She is co-author of the book Cognitive Computing and Big Data Analytics, published in 2015. Her Cloud Expo session, "What Is the Business Imperative for Cognitive Computing?" is scheduled for Wednesday, June 8, at 8:40 a.m. In it, she puts cognitive computing into perspective with its value to the busin...
Apr. 29, 2017 04:00 AM EDT Reads: 3,863
NHK, Japan Broadcasting, will feature the upcoming @ThingsExpo Silicon Valley in a special 'Internet of Things' and smart technology documentary that will be filmed on the expo floor between November 3 to 5, 2015, in Santa Clara. NHK is the sole public TV network in Japan equivalent to the BBC in the UK and the largest in Asia with many award-winning science and technology programs. Japanese TV is producing a documentary about IoT and Smart technology and will be covering @ThingsExpo Silicon Val...
Apr. 29, 2017 02:30 AM EDT Reads: 9,399
The 20th International Cloud Expo has announced that its Call for Papers is open. Cloud Expo, to be held June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, brings together Cloud Computing, Big Data, Internet of Things, DevOps, Containers, Microservices and WebRTC to one location. With cloud computing driving a higher percentage of enterprise IT budgets every year, it becomes increasingly important to plant your flag in this fast-expanding business opportunity. Submit your speaking proposal ...
Apr. 29, 2017 01:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,675
SYS-CON Events announced today that CollabNet, a global leader in enterprise software development, release automation and DevOps solutions, will be a Bronze Sponsor of SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, taking place from June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. CollabNet offers a broad range of solutions with the mission of helping modern organizations deliver quality software at speed. The company’s latest innovation, the DevOps Lifecycle Manager (DLM), supports Value S...
Apr. 29, 2017 01:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,365
The age of Digital Disruption is evolving into the next era – Digital Cohesion, an age in which applications securely self-assemble and deliver predictive services that continuously adapt to user behavior. Information from devices, sensors and applications around us will drive services seamlessly across mobile and fixed devices/infrastructure. This evolution is happening now in software defined services and secure networking. Four key drivers – Performance, Economics, Interoperability and Trust ...
Apr. 29, 2017 12:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,012
With billions of sensors deployed worldwide, the amount of machine-generated data will soon exceed what our networks can handle. But consumers and businesses will expect seamless experiences and real-time responsiveness. What does this mean for IoT devices and the infrastructure that supports them? More of the data will need to be handled at - or closer to - the devices themselves.
Apr. 29, 2017 12:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,129
In his keynote at @ThingsExpo, Chris Matthieu, Director of IoT Engineering at Citrix and co-founder and CTO of Octoblu, focused on building an IoT platform and company. He provided a behind-the-scenes look at Octoblu’s platform, business, and pivots along the way (including the Citrix acquisition of Octoblu).
Apr. 28, 2017 10:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,717
Grape Up is a software company, specialized in cloud native application development and professional services related to Cloud Foundry PaaS. With five expert teams that operate in various sectors of the market across the USA and Europe, we work with a variety of customers from emerging startups to Fortune 1000 companies.
Apr. 28, 2017 10:30 PM EDT Reads: 2,561
Financial Technology has become a topic of intense interest throughout the cloud developer and enterprise IT communities. Accordingly, attendees at the upcoming 20th Cloud Expo at the Javits Center in New York, June 6-8, 2017, will find fresh new content in a new track called FinTech.
Apr. 28, 2017 10:15 PM EDT Reads: 2,595
SYS-CON Events announced today that Interoute, owner-operator of one of Europe's largest networks and a global cloud services platform, has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 20th Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017 at the Javits Center in New York, New York. Interoute is the owner-operator of one of Europe's largest networks and a global cloud services platform which encompasses 12 data centers, 14 virtual data centers and 31 colocation centers, with connections to 195 add...
Apr. 28, 2017 09:45 PM EDT Reads: 2,257
Multiple data types are pouring into IoT deployments. Data is coming in small packages as well as enormous files and data streams of many sizes. Widespread use of mobile devices adds to the total. In this power panel at @ThingsExpo, moderated by Conference Chair Roger Strukhoff, panelists will look at the tools and environments that are being put to use in IoT deployments, as well as the team skills a modern enterprise IT shop needs to keep things running, get a handle on all this data, and deli...
Apr. 28, 2017 09:15 PM EDT Reads: 2,735
The Internet of Things is clearly many things: data collection and analytics, wearables, Smart Grids and Smart Cities, the Industrial Internet, and more. Cool platforms like Arduino, Raspberry Pi, Intel's Galileo and Edison, and a diverse world of sensors are making the IoT a great toy box for developers in all these areas. In this Power Panel at @ThingsExpo, moderated by Conference Chair Roger Strukhoff, panelists discussed what things are the most important, which will have the most profound e...
Apr. 28, 2017 08:15 PM EDT Reads: 2,490
@ThingsExpo has been named the Most Influential ‘Smart Cities - IIoT' Account and @BigDataExpo has been named fourteenth by Right Relevance (RR), which provides curated information and intelligence on approximately 50,000 topics. In addition, Right Relevance provides an Insights offering that combines the above Topics and Influencers information with real time conversations to provide actionable intelligence with visualizations to enable decision making. The Insights service is applicable to eve...
Apr. 28, 2017 07:45 PM EDT Reads: 3,039