|By Marketwired .||
|June 6, 2014 08:00 AM EDT||
MADRID, SPAIN -- (Marketwired) -- 06/06/14 -- Cisco (NASDAQ: CSCO) -- Andorra Telecom has deployed a Wi-Fi network that offers two levels of service for visitors and residents in Andorra: a free basic connection to the Internet (for picking up local, commercial and tourist information about the country) and high-quality Premium Internet access (to contact and use any Web page or application, including instant messaging and voice-over-IP).
In full operation since January, and with coverage in the central area of Andorra La Vella and Escaldes-Engordany, which has the highest density of visitors, Andorra Wi-Fi is a next-generation public network based on the Cisco Service Provider (SP) Wi-Fi platform.
As exclusive public operator on Andorran territory, Andorra Telecom provides innovative telecommunications services with the best quality and price. The objective of the new Wi-Fi network is to complement the service already being offered to its residential clients, upgrade the range of offerings to tourists, and reinforce the competitiveness of the country's companies and institutions with integrated management for any kind of access.
Key points of the announcement
- The Wi-Fi network is based on the complete Cisco Service Provider (SP) Wi-Fi platform, which forms part of the Cisco Small Cell portfolio and supports millions of users, offering a high-quality mobile experience. Cisco SP Wi-Fi consists of the Cisco ASR 1000 access router, the Cisco Wireless LAN Controller and the Cisco Mobility Services Engine, which captures contextual information provided by Cisco Aironet Access Points.
- As added value, Andorra Wi-Fi also includes the Cisco Connected Mobile Experience (CMX) platform with ThinkSmart which provides greater intelligence and analytical capacity (Big Data) to offer customized services based on location. This functionality makes it possible to offer contextual data about network usage to the Ministry of Tourism, with the aim of optimizing the information and services for users, and it will also be possible for shops in the area to use it in the future, while safeguarding identity and privacy.
- The deployment has been completed with Cisco Prime as network management platform and with Cisco Quantum Policy Suite for session and data traffic control and for managing the micro-pages of the Premium service. Furthermore, the network is certified for Passpoint technology, which provides transparent coverage and authentication for users as they move from one hot spot to another.
- Andorra Telecom intends in a second phase to extend the Wi-Fi network service to ski resorts, shops and hotels in the area, which will enable it to improve the opportunities for marketing local industry.
- Cisco Advanced Services, Acuntia -- a Cisco Gold partner -- and Satec -- a Cisco Gold partner -- have collaborated in implementing the solution, including project management and the planning, integration, deployment and support of the network.
Statements in support
- Jordi Nadal, Chief Executive Officer of Andorra Telecom:
"As operator for the Andorran territory, we have undertaken to extend the service we already offer to our telecommunications clients, at the same time as contributing to promoting tourism and improving awareness of our country, by offering visitors free access to shop Web pages and to applications at up to 20 Mbps. The Cisco SP Wi-Fi platform has enabled us to achieve this double objective in record time, and guarantees that we have the capacity to extend the network with great ease in order to respond to a future exponential growth of users."
- Santiago López, Director of Sales and Operations at Cisco España for Service Providers:
"Cisco Service Provider Wi-Fi is an end-to-end solution that enables operators to get the maximum performance from mobile communications, including the analytical capacity to implement innovative customized services based on location. Cisco technology, combined with the vision and commitment of Andorra Telecom, offers residents and visitors in Andorra a mobile experience of the highest quality, by converting the Wi-Fi network into a technology with a similar functionality to that of cellular networks."
- Cisco ASR 1000 family.
- Cisco Service Provider Wi-Fi.
- Information for Service Providers about Cisco products and technologies.
- Cisco Service Provider Mobility Community.
- Discover Cisco's latest predictions of an exponential growth in mobile data.
- Visit the Cisco SP360 blog, and follow us on Twitter.
Cisco (NASDAQ: CSCO) is the worldwide leader in IT that helps companies seize the opportunities of tomorrow by proving that amazing things can happen when you connect the previously unconnected. For ongoing news, please go to http://thenetwork.cisco.com
RSS Feed for Cisco: http://newsroom.cisco.com/rss-feeds
Apr. 29, 2016 09:15 PM EDT Reads: 320
Apr. 29, 2016 09:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,545
Apr. 29, 2016 04:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,779
Apr. 29, 2016 03:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,629
Apr. 29, 2016 03:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,671
Apr. 29, 2016 02:45 PM EDT Reads: 876
Apr. 29, 2016 02:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,418
Apr. 29, 2016 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 983
Apr. 29, 2016 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,548
Apr. 29, 2016 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 848
Apr. 29, 2016 01:30 PM EDT Reads: 795
Apr. 29, 2016 01:00 PM EDT Reads: 777
Apr. 29, 2016 01:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,493
Apr. 29, 2016 12:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,657
Apr. 29, 2016 11:45 AM EDT Reads: 2,239
Apr. 29, 2016 11:30 AM EDT Reads: 496
Apr. 29, 2016 11:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,426
Apr. 29, 2016 10:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,120
Apr. 29, 2016 09:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,005
Apr. 29, 2016 09:00 AM EDT Reads: 857