|By RealWire News Distribution||
|June 3, 2014 04:15 AM EDT||
New features in EnterpriseDB's replication and failover utilities for Postgres boosts performance and flexibility
EnterpriseDB releases to the open source community tools that address common challenges of Postgres database administrators
London, UK - June 3, 2014 - EnterpriseDB (EDB), the leading worldwide provider of enterprise-class Postgres products and Oracle database compatibility solutions, today announced the release of a series of tools that enhance the performance, flexibility and management of Postgres deployments. The releases include new versions of EDB Failover Manager and EDB xDB Replication Server that boost performance and give database administrators (DBAs) more flexibility in managing mission-critical deployments.
EnterpriseDB also developed and released to the open source PostgreSQL community two new utilities that solve problems database administrators could encounter with performance and potential database corruption. pg_hibernator preserves the performance gains of a warmed database cache following database restarts and pg_catcheck identifies catalog meta-data that may be corrupt, preventing normal database maintenance and operations.
With an expanding network of over 2,500 customers worldwide and deep ties to the PostgreSQL community, EnterpriseDB is uniquely positioned to gather extensive end user feedback. Using that insight, EDB develops tools that help PostgreSQL users as well as EDB customers, especially large and global enterprises, manage more deployments with greater efficiency. The new releases were developed in direct response to customer input or feedback from the community at large.
"Tools are critical to ensuring organisations can successfully deploy Postgres and they comprise a large part of our development efforts," said Marc Linster, senior vice president of products and services at EnterpriseDB. "The needs of our customers guide our development priorities and we're able to respond very quickly with new features. And in some cases, we're able to share what we've built with the open source PostgreSQL community."
The new EDB product releases and features added are:
EDB xDB Replication Server 5.1, which features reduced latency for better performance, resulting in improved scalability for multi-master replication with increased throughput. The release also includes enhanced row level filtering and custom conflict handlers, giving DBAs greater flexibility in managing multi-master configurations.
EDB Failover Manager 1.1, which adds specific customer requests for new security and customisation capabilities. These include a JGroups authentication mechanism based on IP address to block unauthorized JGroups processes from accessing the database High Availability configuration. In addition, EFM 1.1 agents now run as operating system services, ensuring agents continue to monitor the cluster after a failover event occurs. This gives DBAs greater flexibility with enhanced cluster and replica promotion status.
The tools EDB developed and released to the open source community are:
pg_catcheck, which checks the integrity of system catalog data when DBAs suspect database corruption, may be present. The diagnostic tool verifies catalog data, pinpointing errors that disrupt normal database use or maintenance and identifying areas for potential corrective measures.
pg_hibernator, which helps preserve database performance following the shutdown of a database. The tool does an automatic save and restore of the data that is in the database server's memory at the time of the shutdown. When the database fires back up, users no longer experience performance loss as applications re-populate the database cache with commonly used data.
Learn more about xDB Replication Server, Failover Manager and EnterpriseDB's entire suite of enterprise-class tools, which help DBAs manage, tune and secure Postgres deployments here.
Learn more about the tools EnterpriseDB has developed released to the open source community.
Connect with EnterpriseDB
Learn more about EnterpriseDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com
Read the blog: http://blogs.enterprisedb.com/
Follow us on Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/enterprisedb
Become a fan on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/EnterpriseDB?ref=ts
Join us on Google+: https://plus.google.com/108046988421677398468
Connect on LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/company/enterprisedb
About EnterpriseDB Corporation
EnterpriseDB is the leading worldwide provider of Postgres software and services that enable enterprises to reduce their reliance on costly proprietary solutions and slash their database spend by 80% or more. With powerful performance and security enhancements for PostgreSQL, sophisticated management tools for global deployments and Oracle compatibility, EnterpriseDB software supports both mission and non-mission critical enterprise applications. More than 2,500 enterprises, governments and other organisations worldwide use EnterpriseDB software, support, training and professional services to integrate open source software into their existing data infrastructures. Based in Bedford, MA, EnterpriseDB is backed by top-tier venture capitalists and strategic investors like Red Hat and IBM. For more information, please visit http://www.enterprisedb.com.
EnterpriseDB Media Contact:
+44 (0) 208 392 4073
- The Odd Couple: Marrying Agile and Waterfall
- Fanning the Flames of Agile
- Internet of @ThingsExpo Silicon Valley Call for Papers Now Open
- April and May 2014 Server and StorageIO Update newsletter
- MangoApps to Exhibit at Cloud Expo New York
- WSO2 Introduces Industry’s First Enterprise Identity Bus With the Launch of WSO2 Identity Server 5.0
- Practical WebRTC: From API to Solution
- Last Chance to Register for LTE World Summit
- The Butterfly Effect Within IT
- The Business Challenges Impacting Digital Transformation
- Stay Current on the Internet of Things
- Setting the Bar for Agile Architecture
- How to Get the Best From Virtual Employees
- Global Financial Firms Can Effectively Address Technology Risk Guidelines
- .CLUB Domain Name Extension Now Available for General Registration
- MapR Technologies Announces Upcoming June Conferences
- More Mainstream Businesses Depend on Open Source
- AMAG, HP, ImageWare Systems, March Networks and StrikeForce Discuss Security Solutions in SecuritySolutionsWatch.com Interviews
- F5 to Present at Upcoming Technology and Investor Conferences
- The Odd Couple: Marrying Agile and Waterfall
- Flexera Software’s InstallShield 2014 Release Introduces New Support of Cloud and Virtualised Installations, High-DPI Displays and Touch Devices, and Agile Development
- FlexNet Manager Suite Wins CODiE Award for Best Asset Management Solution - 4th CODiE Award for Flexera Software
- Fanning the Flames of Agile
- WSO2 Guest Speakers at WSO2Con Europe 2014 Will Examine Technology Developments and Best Practices Enabling the Connected Business
- The Top 150 Players in Cloud Computing
- Who Are The All-Time Heroes of i-Technology?
- Where Are RIA Technologies Headed in 2008?
- Success, Arrogance, Rise and Fall
- AJAX World RIA Conference & Expo Kicks Off in New York City
- The Top 250 Players in the Cloud Computing Ecosystem
- Personal Branding Checklist
- i-Technology Viewpoint: Attack of the Blogs
- Exclusive Q&A with Jeff Haynie, Co-Founder & CEO, Appcelerator
- Cloud People: A Who's Who of Cloud Computing
- Ulitzer Names the World's 30 Most Influential Cloud Computing Bloggers
- Web 2.0 News and Wrapping Up "Real-World AJAX" Seminar