|By Matthew Lobas||
|May 8, 2014 08:00 PM EDT||
The most creative, innovative and commercially successful work from the UK sport industry over the last year was rewarded at the BT Sport Industry Awards on Thursday evening, as those responsible for the greatest campaigns and brand performances of the year were presented with the coveted trophies in front of 1,750 industry peers, media and celebrities.
Although the full house included some of the biggest names from British and world sport, the sporting stars relinquished the limelight to recognise the contribution of those working behind the scenes in the world's most dynamic sports marketplace.
Campaigns and brands from across eight sports were rewarded, with the inclusion of winners from basketball and American football alongside the more traditional British sports of tennis, rugby, netball, football, sailing and cycling perhaps underlining the continuing internationalisation of the UK's sport industry.
But it was one of British sport's most traditional events that captured arguably the evening's biggest prize. Following Andy Murray's win, record viewing figures across the board and some of the most innovative digital work in the country, The Championships, Wimbledon, secured the coveted BT Sport Industry Award for Brand of the Year, Sponsored by Pinsent Masons.
It was not the only prize for tennis on the night, with adidas' sponsorship of Andy Murray named Best Sponsorship of a Team or Individual, Sponsored by Kantar Media. And adidas repeated its feat from the previous year of capturing a double, adding the Award for Best Use of PR, Sponsored by Action Images, for its colourful Chelsea FC kit launch campaign - 'It's Blue. What Else Matters?'
Liverpool and QPR joined Chelsea on the honours board by respectively winning Best International Marketing Campaign, Sponsored by London & Partners, and Best Use of Social Media, Sponsored by Sportlobster. Rugby matched football in terms of numbers, with Aviva's sponsorship of the Aviva Premiership, Essentially's management of Wales and Lions star Leigh Halfpenny, and HSBC's backing of the Lions all amongst the winners.
In the individual Awards, two men who have given decades of their lives to sport were rewarded and earned standing ovations from the room. Alan Pascoe, who recently retired as President of CSM and is one of the founding fathers of British sports marketing, received the Barclays Lifetime Achievement Award, while former NBA Commissioner David Stern received the inaugural International Impact Award. Meanwhile, Sir Ben Ainslie also added a BT Sport Industry Award to his long and illustrious honour roll, securing the Leadership in Sport Award, Sponsored by The Inzito Partnership, for his incredible feats with Team Oracle USA in the 2013 America's Cup.
The evening was a culmination of more than 60 hours of intensive judging, with the intricate judging process involving more than 50 key figures from across the industry - fully overseen by Deloitte, the Official Independent Scrutineer of the BT Sport Industry Awards.
Nick Keller, Chairman of the Sport Industry Group, commented: "The winners of the BT Sport Industry Awards 2014 reflect the international nature of this fantastic sector, and are testament to the unique place the British sport industry occupies on a global scale. From London to Australia, Dunblane to New York and Liverpool to South-East Asia, the work rewarded tonight has been selected from an absolutely stellar shortlist in which the quality has been higher than ever."
Simon Green, head of BT Sport, commented: "BT is proud to be part of such a dynamic, creative and exciting industry. With BT Sport approaching its first birthday, we have been thrilled to work with so many of the winners, shortlisters and attendees tonight over the past 12 months. Congratulations to all the winners and good luck for the year ahead."
Alan Pascoe, who won the Barclays Lifetime Achievement Award, summed up the mood in the room when he said: "I'm jealous of the young people starting in this business, because I wish I was starting again. You've got a great industry - most people would give their right arm to be in this business."
BT is the Headline Partner of the BT Sport Industry Award. Official Partners include Barclays, Deloitte and Eurosport. For more information on the event and the winners, go to www.sportindustry.biz
The full list of award winners is detailed below:
Best Sponsorship of a Team or Individual, sponsored by Kantar Media
adidas - Andy Murray - Hit The Winner
Best Management of a Sportsperson
Essentially - Leigh Halfpenny
Governing Body of the Year, sponsored by the Daily Telegraph
Best Live Experience, sponsored by Eurosport
NFL on Regent Street
Participation Event of the Year, sponsored by Robertson Taylor W&P Longreach
Community Programme of the Year
Join In Trust - The Join In Summer
Digital Platform of the Year, sponsored by Loughborough University in London
Sky Sports Digital Media
Best Use of Social Media, sponsored by Sportlobster
QPR - In A League of Their Own
Best Use of PR, sponsored by Action Images
adidas - 'It's Blue. What Else Matters?'
Best Sponsorship of an Event or Competition, sponsored by ICON
Aviva - Aviva Premiership Rugby
Best International Marketing Campaign, sponsored by London & Partners
Standard Chartered Bank - Road to Anfield 2013
Best Integrated Marketing Campaign, sponsored by Battersea Evolution
HSBC - British and Irish Lions - A Legendary Journey
Brand of the Year, sponsored by Pinsent Masons
The Championships, Wimbledon
Agency of the Year, sponsored by Colouration
The International Impact Award
The Barclays Lifetime Achievement Award
Alan Pascoe MBE
The Leadership in Sport Award, sponsored by The Inzito Partnership
Sir Ben Ainslie
Outstanding Contribution to Sport, sponsored by Singha Beer
For more information, please contact:
Sport Industry Group
Email: [email protected]
0207 240 7700
NOTES TO EDITORS:
BT Sport Industry Awards
The BT Sport Industry Awards recognise and reward the best the sport business has to offer in marketing, PR, sponsorship, new media, publishing, advertising and design. The flagship event is Europe's largest and most prestigious commercial sport awards. To the attendees it is also the most important networking occasion in the sport business calendar where the highest profile sporting celebrities mix with the key decision-makers from governing bodies, brands, media companies and agencies.
Pictures are available at:
Login Name: BTSIA14
Once logged in, tick the click box in the My Collections section down the left hand side of the screen, and press the red search button for the images to appear. You will have view and download access to the imagery.
Distributed by http://www.pressat.co.uk/
- The Odd Couple: Marrying Agile and Waterfall
- Fanning the Flames of Agile
- Internet of @ThingsExpo Silicon Valley Call for Papers Now Open
- April and May 2014 Server and StorageIO Update newsletter
- MangoApps to Exhibit at Cloud Expo New York
- WSO2 Introduces Industry’s First Enterprise Identity Bus With the Launch of WSO2 Identity Server 5.0
- Practical WebRTC: From API to Solution
- Last Chance to Register for LTE World Summit
- The Butterfly Effect Within IT
- The Business Challenges Impacting Digital Transformation
- Stay Current on the Internet of Things
- Setting the Bar for Agile Architecture
- How to Get the Best From Virtual Employees
- Global Financial Firms Can Effectively Address Technology Risk Guidelines
- .CLUB Domain Name Extension Now Available for General Registration
- MapR Technologies Announces Upcoming June Conferences
- More Mainstream Businesses Depend on Open Source
- AMAG, HP, ImageWare Systems, March Networks and StrikeForce Discuss Security Solutions in SecuritySolutionsWatch.com Interviews
- F5 to Present at Upcoming Technology and Investor Conferences
- The Odd Couple: Marrying Agile and Waterfall
- Flexera Software’s InstallShield 2014 Release Introduces New Support of Cloud and Virtualised Installations, High-DPI Displays and Touch Devices, and Agile Development
- FlexNet Manager Suite Wins CODiE Award for Best Asset Management Solution - 4th CODiE Award for Flexera Software
- Fanning the Flames of Agile
- WSO2 Guest Speakers at WSO2Con Europe 2014 Will Examine Technology Developments and Best Practices Enabling the Connected Business
- The Top 150 Players in Cloud Computing
- Who Are The All-Time Heroes of i-Technology?
- Where Are RIA Technologies Headed in 2008?
- Success, Arrogance, Rise and Fall
- AJAX World RIA Conference & Expo Kicks Off in New York City
- The Top 250 Players in the Cloud Computing Ecosystem
- Personal Branding Checklist
- i-Technology Viewpoint: Attack of the Blogs
- Exclusive Q&A with Jeff Haynie, Co-Founder & CEO, Appcelerator
- Cloud People: A Who's Who of Cloud Computing
- Ulitzer Names the World's 30 Most Influential Cloud Computing Bloggers
- Web 2.0 News and Wrapping Up "Real-World AJAX" Seminar