|By Rebel Brown||
|April 3, 2014 10:44 AM EDT||
That’s why I’m sharing the practices and tools I used to get myself (and clients) back into focus and away from a nasty addiction to screens, multi-tasking and the scatterbrain program that’s rampant in our modern world.
How to Get Your Focus On
I’ve successfully retrieved my focus. I still have to work on it every day, but I’m finally back to my productive self. It was frustrating and at times. I wanted to throw in the towel and boot up my favorite Sci Fi series, sit on the couch and search the web with 10 open browser windows and chat with my Google+ buddies as I wrote and surfed. But I persisted. I’m grateful I did.
Getting our focus back is like creating a new habit. We want to create a habit to focus on our moment, our priorities and the task at hand. We want to break the habit of being interrupt-driven by the distractions (and perceived opportunities) all around us.
If you want to ditch your scatterbrain and regain your focus – here are the practices and tools I used to get my focus on.
- Put yourself in Learning State: One of the most powerful tools for focus I’ve ever found is right there in your mind. It’s called Learning State and you can trigger it yourself. Every morning I put myself into Learning State. It takes 2 minutes and the results are simply Outstanding. Here’s how to trigger your mind’s Learning State.
- Make a list and stick to it. I know you make lists. I did. But do you stick to them? Or do you allow yourself to flow through your day based on interrupts from your screens, your fellow workers and the world at large. Every morning, make your list of what you need to focus on that day. Then only do what’s on that list. When your list is finished you can do whatever you want. But focus on the list until it’s completed. While you’re at it – tell you unconscious mind that you want to ONLY focus on that list and ask it to ignore any and all distractions. Remember, your unconscious mind follows your directions.
- Shut down everything but what you are working on. Yes, I mean everything. If you’re writing a document, shut down everything but that program. If you’re writing an email, write the email and don’t check whatever comes in. Then shut down email when you’re done so you don’t have the distraction of new incoming emails. If you’re on a conference call, put everything down, turn off your screen and be on your conference call. Think you can do more things than listen? Your mind can’t. Your conscious mind can only process ~ 58/bits/second. So shut everything down except the one thing that requires your focus.
- Do one thing at a time. In a world filled with jugglers, the art of doing a single thing well has been maligned. Those who succeed multi-task, right? Not really. Any great writer, designer, leader, speaker, executive or worker will tell you that their key to great results is their ability to do one thing at a time and do it well. Sure there are times when you have to juggle. Focus on juggling and then go back to doing one thing at a time. You’ll get more done with higher quality. Plus you’ll train your mind in the habit of focus.
- Set a Timer. All work and no play makes anyone a dull unhappy soul. So give yourself the time to go surf all the sites to find out what you’ve missed in the last two hours. Just do it within limits. Set a timer and stick with it. I give myself 15 minutes a couple of times a day to check social media, google that new horse accessory I want or read the news (from sources I trust, not mass media.) So let your mind go wander, and when the buzzer rings go back to focus.
- Block out times in your day. Even with the timer idea I still wanted more time to search and research. So I began to create blocks of time in my day that I could essentially waste, browsing, searching, staring at realtor.com wondering where my buyers are. So I gave myself a block of time to do just that. First thing in the morning after I do my daily meditations and mind magic, I spend 30 minutes cruising the web. Whatever I want to google, read, share – I get to do it then. Once that 30 minutes is over, I’m done for the day, except for a couple of 5 minute windows for social media and other distractions. Then it’s back to focus.
Then there’s an amazing tool I use call BrainWave. This program (available for mobile devices) puts the power of neuroscience to use in training our minds through sound. The package consists of 30 programs, designed to do everything from giving you an afternoon Espresso Shot to increasing your Creativity to programming your mind to be Focused and Alert. Needless to say, I use the last one a lot.
You can find more information about BrainWave for Apple devices here.
But I Have to….
If you’re like me, you’ll have a knee-jerk reaction about how you need that time on Google + and Twitter, or you’ll rationalize why social media and email are so important to your success in life. Or there’s that infatuation with that television show that shares how Real Housewives behave.. You deserve the mental break, right? Uh huh.
Here’s my challenge to you.
Turn off the television, social media, email and anything else that distracts you. Limit your time exposed to any of these programs or forms of entertainment. And I do mean limit. Forget hours, think in minutes.
Take a break for just one month. Take that time to practice regaining your focus.
Then check back and see if you still feel that same necessity and importance about that 140 character message or Survivor episode.
Let me know how you do. I’d love to hear your stories!
WebRTC is bringing significant change to the communications landscape that will bridge the worlds of web and telephony, making the Internet the new standard for communications. Cloud9 took the road less traveled and used WebRTC to create a downloadable enterprise-grade communications platform that is changing the communication dynamic in the financial sector. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Leo Papadopoulos, CTO of Cloud9, will discuss the importance of WebRTC and how it enables companies to fo...
May. 28, 2016 03:45 PM EDT Reads: 2,528
The IoT is changing the way enterprises conduct business. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Eric Hoffman, Vice President at EastBanc Technologies, discuss how businesses can gain an edge over competitors by empowering consumers to take control through IoT. We'll cite examples such as a Washington, D.C.-based sports club that leveraged IoT and the cloud to develop a comprehensive booking system. He'll also highlight how IoT can revitalize and restore outdated business models, making them profitable...
May. 28, 2016 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,918
In his session at 18th Cloud Expo, Bruce Swann, Senior Product Marketing Manager at Adobe, will discuss how the Adobe Marketing Cloud can help marketers embrace opportunities for personalized, relevant and real-time customer engagement across offline (direct mail, point of sale, call center) and digital (email, website, SMS, mobile apps, social networks, connected objects). Bruce Swann has more than 15 years of experience working with digital marketing disciplines like web analytics, social med...
May. 28, 2016 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,353
IoT generates lots of temporal data. But how do you unlock its value? How do you coordinate the diverse moving parts that must come together when developing your IoT product? What are the key challenges addressed by Data as a Service? How does cloud computing underlie and connect the notions of Digital and DevOps What is the impact of the API economy? What is the business imperative for Cognitive Computing? Get all these questions and hundreds more like them answered at the 18th Cloud Expo...
May. 28, 2016 01:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,327
SYS-CON Events announced today that ContentMX, the marketing technology and services company with a singular mission to increase engagement and drive more conversations for enterprise, channel and SMB technology marketers, has been named “Sponsor & Exhibitor Lounge Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 18th Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, New York. “CloudExpo is a great opportunity to start a conversation with new prospects, but what happens after the...
May. 28, 2016 11:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,237
SYS-CON Events announced today the How to Create Angular 2 Clients for the Cloud Workshop, being held June 7, 2016, in conjunction with 18th Cloud Expo | @ThingsExpo, at the Javits Center in New York, NY. Angular 2 is a complete re-write of the popular framework AngularJS. Programming in Angular 2 is greatly simplified. Now it’s a component-based well-performing framework. The immersive one-day workshop led by Yakov Fain, a Java Champion and a co-founder of the IT consultancy Farata Systems and...
May. 28, 2016 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 4,049
Customer experience has become a competitive differentiator for companies, and it’s imperative that brands seamlessly connect the customer journey across all platforms. With the continued explosion of IoT, join us for a look at how to build a winning digital foundation in the connected era – today and in the future. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Chris Nguyen, Group Product Marketing Manager at Adobe, will discuss how to successfully leverage mobile, rapidly deploy content, capture real-time d...
May. 28, 2016 10:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,621
SYS-CON Events announced today that BMC Software has been named "Siver Sponsor" of SYS-CON's 18th Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7-9, 2015 at the Javits Center in New York, New York. BMC is a global leader in innovative software solutions that help businesses transform into digital enterprises for the ultimate competitive advantage. BMC Digital Enterprise Management is a set of innovative IT solutions designed to make digital business fast, seamless, and optimized from mainframe to mo...
May. 28, 2016 09:45 AM EDT Reads: 2,263
What a difference a year makes. Organizations aren’t just talking about IoT possibilities, it is now baked into their core business strategy. With IoT, billions of devices generating data from different companies on different networks around the globe need to interact. From efficiency to better customer insights to completely new business models, IoT will turn traditional business models upside down. In the new customer-centric age, the key to success is delivering critical services and apps wit...
May. 28, 2016 09:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,191
Join us at Cloud Expo | @ThingsExpo 2016 – June 7-9 at the Javits Center in New York City and November 1-3 at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA – and deliver your unique message in a way that is striking and unforgettable by taking advantage of SYS-CON's unmatched high-impact, result-driven event / media packages.
May. 28, 2016 09:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,431
In his keynote at 18th Cloud Expo, Andrew Keys, Co-Founder of ConsenSys Enterprise, will provide an overview of the evolution of the Internet and the Database and the future of their combination – the Blockchain. Andrew Keys is Co-Founder of ConsenSys Enterprise. He comes to ConsenSys Enterprise with capital markets, technology and entrepreneurial experience. Previously, he worked for UBS investment bank in equities analysis. Later, he was responsible for the creation and distribution of life ...
May. 28, 2016 08:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,979
SYS-CON Events announced today that MobiDev will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. MobiDev is a software company that develops and delivers turn-key mobile apps, websites, web services, and complex software systems for startups and enterprises. Since 2009 it has grown from a small group of passionate engineers and business managers to a full-scale mobile software company with over 200 develope...
May. 28, 2016 07:15 AM EDT Reads: 2,685
SoftLayer operates a global cloud infrastructure platform built for Internet scale. With a global footprint of data centers and network points of presence, SoftLayer provides infrastructure as a service to leading-edge customers ranging from Web startups to global enterprises. SoftLayer's modular architecture, full-featured API, and sophisticated automation provide unparalleled performance and control. Its flexible unified platform seamlessly spans physical and virtual devices linked via a world...
May. 28, 2016 06:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,256
Companies can harness IoT and predictive analytics to sustain business continuity; predict and manage site performance during emergencies; minimize expensive reactive maintenance; and forecast equipment and maintenance budgets and expenditures. Providing cost-effective, uninterrupted service is challenging, particularly for organizations with geographically dispersed operations.
May. 28, 2016 05:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,116
SYS-CON Events announced today TechTarget has been named “Media Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7–9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, and the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. TechTarget is the Web’s leading destination for serious technology buyers researching and making enterprise technology decisions. Its extensive global networ...
May. 28, 2016 05:00 AM EDT Reads: 3,245
SYS-CON Events announced today that Commvault, a global leader in enterprise data protection and information management, has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7–9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, and the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Commvault is a leading provider of data protection and information management...
May. 28, 2016 04:15 AM EDT Reads: 3,196
SYS-CON Events announced today Object Management Group® has been named “Media Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7–9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, and the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
May. 28, 2016 03:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,581
As cloud and storage projections continue to rise, the number of organizations moving to the cloud is escalating and it is clear cloud storage is here to stay. However, is it secure? Data is the lifeblood for government entities, countries, cloud service providers and enterprises alike and losing or exposing that data can have disastrous results. There are new concepts for data storage on the horizon that will deliver secure solutions for storing and moving sensitive data around the world. ...
May. 28, 2016 03:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,321
SYS-CON Events announced today that MangoApps will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. MangoApps provides modern company intranets and team collaboration software, allowing workers to stay connected and productive from anywhere in the world and from any device. For more information, please visit https://www.mangoapps.com/.
May. 28, 2016 02:30 AM EDT Reads: 857
The essence of data analysis involves setting up data pipelines that consist of several operations that are chained together – starting from data collection, data quality checks, data integration, data analysis and data visualization (including the setting up of interaction paths in that visualization). In our opinion, the challenges stem from the technology diversity at each stage of the data pipeline as well as the lack of process around the analysis.
May. 28, 2016 01:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,465