|By Matthew Lobas||
|March 10, 2014 08:00 PM EDT||
- 214 young leaders from 66 countries honoured for leadership and service to society; 109 are women.
- Half of the YGL Class of 2014 comes from the private sector and half from the public sector.
- Find out what it means to be a YGL at www.younggloballeaders.org.
- Watch the YGL video http://wef.ch/yglvideo14 or download the brochure.
The World Economic Forum announced today the new members selected to join the Forum of Young Global Leaders. The 214 exceptional young individuals have been recognized for their achievements and contribution to society.
The Young Global Leaders (YGLs) come from diverse backgrounds and bring a range of expertise to the community from across the world. Over 50% of the new intake are women, half come from the private sector and half from the public sector, including academia, arts and culture, civil society, government, media and not-for-profit organizations.
"The YGL Community assembles the world's most outstanding next-generation leaders who have a proven record of extraordinary achievement and helps them further develop in their leadership journey," said David Aikman, Managing Director and Head of New Champions at the World Economic Forum.
"The community provides its members with a peer network that challenges them to not only do more, but to be more. Being part of the YGL community is a transformational experience, where leaders turn their personal success into global significance and positive impact in their countries, industries and areas of expertise," he said.
The YGL Class of 2014 includes 49 individuals from East Asia, 46 from Europe, 17 from Latin America, 18 from the Middle East and North Africa, 48 from North America, 17 from South Asia and 19 from sub-Saharan Africa.
This year's class includes:
- Farhan Akhtar, India, film director, screenwriter and actor.
- Julia Bacha, Brazil, award-winning filmmaker, peace campaigner and creative director at Just Vision.
- Leah Busque, USA, founder of TaskRabbit, a mobile marketplace where users can outsource small jobs to others in their neighbourhood.
- Brooke Ellison, USA, stem cell research advocate, public speaker and the subject of an award-winning movie.
- Nicolas Shea Carey, Chile, founder of Cumplo, a peer-to-peer lending business, and Start-Up Chile, a government-supported incubation programme.
- Liu Qiangdong, People's Republic of China, founder and Chief Executive Officer of 360buy.com, China's second-largest online retailer by transaction volume, and one of the country's best known e-commerce entrepreneurs.
- Michael Macharia, Kenya, founder of Seven Seas Technologies, a leading East African ITC provider.
- Sabeen Mahmud, civil rights activist, founder of Peace Niche and T2F, and creator of Pakistan's first hackathon.
- Rania al-Mashat, Egypt, Sub-Governor for Monetary Policy at the Central Bank of Egypt.
- Vania Masias, Peru, ballerina and founding director of Angeles D1, which provides dance training to underprivileged children.
- Karl-Johan Persson, Sweden, President and Chief Executive Officer of fashion company Hennes & Mauritz (H&M)Hosain Rahman, USA, founder of Jawbone, one of the largest venture capital-backed consumer electronics companies in the world.
- Charlize Theron, South Africa, Oscar-winning actress and founder of the Africa Outreach Project.
- Ken Tun, Myanmar, Chief Executive Officer of Parami Energy, with interests in oil, gas, energy, construction and finance.
- Natalia Vodianova, Russia, model and founder of children's charity the Naked Heart Foundation.
- Hayley Warren, Australia, Chief Executive Officer of Halo Medical Devices; invented a device that uses lasers to measure a patient's range of movement.
The full list of new YGLs can be downloaded here: http://widgets.weforum.org/ygl-2014
The YGL Class of 2014 was drawn from a pool of over 2,000 candidates who were evaluated by Heidrick & Struggles and screened by a selection committee chaired by H.M. Queen Rania Al Abdullah of the Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan. Candidates were evaluated according to specific criteria including their proven track record and commitment to society.
Previous YGLs include: Sharmeen Obaid Chinoy, Documentary Filmmaker, Pakistan; Marissa Mayer, Chief Executive Officer of Yahoo, USA; Osayi Alile Oruene, Executive Director, Fate Foundation, Nigeria; Larry Page, Co-Founder and Chief Executive Officer, Google, USA; Luis Guillermo Plata, Chief Executive Officer of the Cornerstone Group and former Minister of Trade, Industry and Tourism, Columbia; Naoko Yamazaki, astronaut and mission specialist on the crew of STS-131 Discovery, Japan; and Zhou Xun, actress and Goodwill Ambassador, United Nations Development Programme, People's Republic of China.
The YGL Community has more than 900 active members, representing every region of the world. The YGLs convene at an annual summit, held this year in Beijing and Tianjin, the People's Republic of China, in September.
Find out what it means to be a part of the community with stories, profiles and quotes from YGLs in our brochure.
Notes to Editors:
1. More information about the Forum of Young Global Leaders at http://www.younggloballeaders.org/ or http://wef.ch/yglbrochure.
2. Download the list of members of Class of 2014 at http://widgets.weforum.org/ygl-2014
3. Meet the new YGLs on the Forum:Blog .
4. Download the list of active YGLs .
5. Download the list of http://www.weforum.org/content/pages/ygl-initiatives-dialogues|YGL initiatives.
6. Find out what it means to be a YGL at www.younggloballeaders.org or watch the following video at http://wef.ch/yglvideo14
7. Follow us on Twitter at http://twitter.com/YGLvoices
8. Follow us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/YoungGlobalLeaders
9. Nominate a potential Young Global Leader through our website .
Distributed by http://www.pressat.co.uk/
- The Odd Couple: Marrying Agile and Waterfall
- Fanning the Flames of Agile
- Internet of @ThingsExpo Silicon Valley Call for Papers Now Open
- April and May 2014 Server and StorageIO Update newsletter
- MangoApps to Exhibit at Cloud Expo New York
- WSO2 Introduces Industry’s First Enterprise Identity Bus With the Launch of WSO2 Identity Server 5.0
- Practical WebRTC: From API to Solution
- Last Chance to Register for LTE World Summit
- The Butterfly Effect Within IT
- The Business Challenges Impacting Digital Transformation
- Stay Current on the Internet of Things
- Setting the Bar for Agile Architecture
- How to Get the Best From Virtual Employees
- Global Financial Firms Can Effectively Address Technology Risk Guidelines
- .CLUB Domain Name Extension Now Available for General Registration
- MapR Technologies Announces Upcoming June Conferences
- More Mainstream Businesses Depend on Open Source
- AMAG, HP, ImageWare Systems, March Networks and StrikeForce Discuss Security Solutions in SecuritySolutionsWatch.com Interviews
- F5 to Present at Upcoming Technology and Investor Conferences
- The Odd Couple: Marrying Agile and Waterfall
- Flexera Software’s InstallShield 2014 Release Introduces New Support of Cloud and Virtualised Installations, High-DPI Displays and Touch Devices, and Agile Development
- FlexNet Manager Suite Wins CODiE Award for Best Asset Management Solution - 4th CODiE Award for Flexera Software
- Fanning the Flames of Agile
- WSO2 Guest Speakers at WSO2Con Europe 2014 Will Examine Technology Developments and Best Practices Enabling the Connected Business
- The Top 150 Players in Cloud Computing
- Who Are The All-Time Heroes of i-Technology?
- Where Are RIA Technologies Headed in 2008?
- Success, Arrogance, Rise and Fall
- AJAX World RIA Conference & Expo Kicks Off in New York City
- The Top 250 Players in the Cloud Computing Ecosystem
- Personal Branding Checklist
- i-Technology Viewpoint: Attack of the Blogs
- Exclusive Q&A with Jeff Haynie, Co-Founder & CEO, Appcelerator
- Cloud People: A Who's Who of Cloud Computing
- Ulitzer Names the World's 30 Most Influential Cloud Computing Bloggers
- Web 2.0 News and Wrapping Up "Real-World AJAX" Seminar