|By PR Newswire||
|February 16, 2014 04:00 AM EST||
77% of Brits are after something a little more weird and wonderful when booking their UK accommodation
- 52% of Brits already experimenting with alternative accommodation
- 70% say they would be most excited about staying in a castle
- Booking.com reveals list of some of the most surprising stays in the UK
LONDON, Feb. 16, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- British holidaymakers are craving something more surprising and a little 'out of the ordinary' when booking their UK accommodation, according to research* from Booking.com. Statistics released today show that more than three quarters (77%) of Brits would like to be able to stay somewhere a little more unusual when taking a trip in the UK.
The poll of more than 2,000 Brits also highlighted how almost one fifth look for more adventurous stays close to home, with 19% stating that they like to enjoy something quintessentially British. When asked about what they look for in an alternative place to stay, Brits say they would be most excited about a stay in a castle or other historical building (70%), with 13% claiming they like to be able to live out a childhood fantasy when holidaying in the UK.
From the 25 million reviews from holidaymakers on its site, Booking.com has identified some of the most highly rated properties from across the country. With 52% of Brits already experimenting by staying everywhere from castles to refurbished prisons, Booking.com has created a list of ten of the most surprising stays. The list includes a Llama Bed & Breakfast (with real life llamas), an apartment boat based on the Titanic and a refurbished railway station which allows you to spend the night in a restored train carriage.
Ten of the most surprising stays in the UK:
- Llamas Pyjamas B&B, Penrith
- The Old Railway Station, Petworth
- Camp Katur, North Yorkshire
- Coombe Abbey Hotel, Coventry
- Houseboat Hotels, Sheffield
- The Witchery by the Castle, Edinburgh
- Penny Lane Hotel, Liverpool
- Titanic Boat, Liverpool Albert Dock
- The Little Hide, York
- The Cider Works, Dover
It would also appear it is the little things that make the biggest difference when it comes to British holidaymakers booking their 'staycation'. Ensuring it is cosy enough to distract from the typical British weather (27%) and being able to get hold of their home comforts, such as being able to make a cup of tea (10%) are amongst the most popular determining factors. Almost one in ten base their accommodation decision purely on the quality of the sausage they get for breakfast.
Jason Grist, spokesperson for Booking.com commented; "We know Brits take longer to plan their accommodation, making sure they get it right really makes a holiday. One in ten Brits never like to take the same holiday twice, so we're sharing the alternative and diverse properties available to help to ensure they have the best experience every time,"
With more than 25 different varieties and over 424,000 properties in 195 countries, Booking.com has the best accommodation offering in the world, making it the perfect complement for the savvy British traveller.
*Consumer research of 2,234 British holidaymakers conducted by Censuswide, February 2013.
Ten of the most surprising stays in the UK as chosen by Booking.com;
- Llamas Pyjamas B&B, Penrith: Ever enjoyed a full English breakfast with a Llama? At this five star B&B you can do just that as well as taking a llama lingo course – to help you communicate telepathically with animals. Animal loving visitors have flocked both nationally and internationally to get up close and personal with these furry friends at this one of a kind destination. This Penrith B&B has even become a buzz on social media across China!
- The Old Railway Station, Petworth: The perfect stay for any rail enthusiast and widely acknowledged as Britain's most beautiful railway station. Built in 1892 for the Prince of Wales, you will feel like royalty yourself as you lay your head for the night inside a rare Edwardian Pullman railway carriage.
- Camp Katur, North Yorkshire: For a camping trip with a difference this extraordinary 250 acre estate comprise of luxury safari tents, tepees and woodland hobbit pods! This eco-friendly site allows you to camp without electricity and enjoy an eco-spa on site.
- Coombe Abbey Hotel, Coventry: Specialising in murder mysteries, ghost tours and medieval banquets, this unique Cistercian Abbey was partially designed by William Winde, who was also responsible for creating the most famous home in the country – Buckingham Palace. Bethany, who works at the Abbey comments, "You might even find little surprises such as discovering your bathroom hidden behind a bookcase!"
- Houseboat Hotels, Sheffield: These stylish houseboats offer a unique guest experience and are the only offering of its kind in the UK. Docked in Sheffield's Victoria Quays the boats are only a short walk from the city but provide the tranquillity of being at a country retreat.
- The Witchery by the Castle, Edinburgh: With seven in ten Brits saying they would be most excited about spending the night in a castle, nowhere is more magical than The Witchery. In the shadow of the famous Edinburgh Castle, The Witchery has its original carved door lintel and winding turret staircase and is a must stay for a 16th century historical enthusiasts.
- Penny Lane Hotel, Liverpool: The perfect place for any Beatles fan to rest after a 'hard day's night' - unlike many other music-themed hotels, reviewers have commented that Penny Lane has been "tastefully renovated". Hotel rooms have a view of the bus shelter at Penny Lane Junction, where John Lennon and Paul McCartney used to meet.
- Titanic Boat, Liverpool Albert Dock: You don't need to be Kate Winslet or Leonardo DiCaprio to experience this stunning apartment boat, designed to resemble the original Titanic. With its crystal chandeliers and floors copied from the lounge on the original ship you will feel like you have stepped back into the golden age of travel.
- The Little Hide, York: Camping, even in the great British weather, can be made cosy and warm thanks to this 'grown up glamping' site. Each of these cute bespoke camping pods were built locally to the owner's specifications, which she also stained and waxed herself by hand!
- The Cider Works, Dover: What's not to love about beautiful holiday apartments where cider is also produced? Opened by the Earl of Guildford two years ago, this family-run guest house, café and cider-processing combo has already racked up an 'exceptional' 9.5 rating on Booking.com.
Booking.com is the world leader in booking hotel and other accommodations online. It guarantees the best prices for any type of property – from small independents to five-star luxury. Guests can access the Booking.com website anytime, anywhere from their desktops, mobile phones and tablet devices, and they don't pay booking fees – ever. The Booking.com website is available in 41 languages, offers more than 424,000 hotels and accommodations in 195 countries, features 25 million reviews written by guests after their stay, and attracts online visitors from both leisure and business markets around the globe. With over 17 years of experience and a team of over 6,400 dedicated employees in 115+ offices worldwide, Booking.com operates its own in-house customer service team, which is available 24/7 to assist guests in their native languages and ensure an exceptional customer experience.
Established in 1996, Booking.com B.V. owns and operates Booking.com™, and is part of The Priceline Group (NASDAQ: PCLN). Follow us on Twitter, Google+ and Pinterest, like us on Facebook, or learn more at http://www.booking.com.
The Internet of Things will greatly expand the opportunities for data collection and new business models driven off of that data. In her session at Internet of @ThingsExpo, Esmeralda Swartz, CMO of MetraTech, will discuss how for this to be effective you not only need to have infrastructure and operational models capable of utilizing this new phenomenon, but increasingly service providers will need to convince a skeptical public to participate. Get ready to show them the money! Speaker Bio: Esmeralda Swartz, CMO of MetraTech, has spent 16 years as a marketing, product management, and busin...
Oct. 24, 2014 07:30 PM EDT Reads: 644
Samsung VP Jacopo Lenzi, who headed the company's recent SmartThings acquisition under the auspices of Samsung's Open Innovaction Center (OIC), answered a few questions we had about the deal. This interview was in conjunction with our interview with SmartThings CEO Alex Hawkinson. IoT Journal: SmartThings was developed in an open, standards-agnostic platform, and will now be part of Samsung's Open Innovation Center. Can you elaborate on your commitment to keep the platform open? Jacopo Lenzi: Samsung recognizes that true, accelerated innovation cannot be driven from one source, but requires a...
Oct. 23, 2014 11:45 PM EDT Reads: 2,530
SYS-CON Events announced today that Red Hat, the world's leading provider of open source solutions, will exhibit at Internet of @ThingsExpo, which will take place on November 4–6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Red Hat is the world's leading provider of open source software solutions, using a community-powered approach to reliable and high-performing cloud, Linux, middleware, storage and virtualization technologies. Red Hat also offers award-winning support, training, and consulting services. As the connective hub in a global network of enterprises, partners, a...
Oct. 23, 2014 11:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,595
P2P RTC will impact the landscape of communications, shifting from traditional telephony style communications models to OTT (Over-The-Top) cloud assisted & PaaS (Platform as a Service) communication services. The P2P shift will impact many areas of our lives, from mobile communication, human interactive web services, RTC and telephony infrastructure, user federation, security and privacy implications, business costs, and scalability. In his session at Internet of @ThingsExpo, Robin Raymond, Chief Architect at Hookflash Inc., will walk through the shifting landscape of traditional telephone a...
Oct. 23, 2014 08:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,488
Oct. 23, 2014 08:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,602
BSQUARE is a global leader of embedded software solutions. We enable smart connected systems at the device level and beyond that millions use every day and provide actionable data solutions for the growing Internet of Things (IoT) market. We empower our world-class customers with our products, services and solutions to achieve innovation and success. For more information, visit www.bsquare.com.
Oct. 23, 2014 08:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,553
How do APIs and IoT relate? The answer is not as simple as merely adding an API on top of a dumb device, but rather about understanding the architectural patterns for implementing an IoT fabric. There are typically two or three trends: Exposing the device to a management framework Exposing that management framework to a business centric logic • Exposing that business layer and data to end users. This last trend is the IoT stack, which involves a new shift in the separation of what stuff happens, where data lives and where the interface lies. For instance, it’s a mix of architectural style...
Oct. 23, 2014 07:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,561
SYS-CON Events announced today that SOA Software, an API management leader, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 15th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 4–6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. SOA Software is a leading provider of API Management and SOA Governance products that equip business to deliver APIs and SOA together to drive their company to meet its business strategy quickly and effectively. SOA Software’s technology helps businesses to accelerate their digital channels with APIs, drive partner adoption, monetize their assets, and achieve a...
Oct. 23, 2014 06:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,574
From a software development perspective IoT is about programming "things," about connecting them with each other or integrating them with existing applications. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Yakov Fain, co-founder of Farata Systems and SuranceBay, will show you how small IoT-enabled devices from multiple manufacturers can be integrated into the workflow of an enterprise application. This is a practical demo of building a framework and components in HTML/Java/Mobile technologies to serve as a platform that can integrate new devices as they become available on the market.
Oct. 23, 2014 06:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,543
SYS-CON Events announced today that Utimaco will exhibit at SYS-CON's 15th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 4–6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Utimaco is a leading manufacturer of hardware based security solutions that provide the root of trust to keep cryptographic keys safe, secure critical digital infrastructures and protect high value data assets. Only Utimaco delivers a general-purpose hardware security module (HSM) as a customizable platform to easily integrate into existing software solutions, embed business logic and build s...
Oct. 23, 2014 05:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,500
Connected devices are changing the way we go about our everyday life, from wearables to driverless cars, to smart grids and entire industries revolutionizing business opportunities through smart objects, capable of two-way communication. But what happens when objects are given an IP-address, and we rely on that connection, sometimes with our lives? How do we secure those vast data infrastructures and safe-keep the privacy of sensitive information? This session will outline how each and every connected device can uphold a core root of trust via a unique cryptographic signature – a “bir...
Oct. 23, 2014 05:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,405
Internet of @ThingsExpo Silicon Valley announced on Thursday its first 12 all-star speakers and sessions for its upcoming event, which will take place November 4-6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in California. @ThingsExpo, the first and largest IoT event in the world, debuted at the Javits Center in New York City in June 10-12, 2014 with over 6,000 delegates attending the conference. Among the first 12 announced world class speakers, IBM will present two highly popular IoT sessions, which will take place November 4-6, 2014 at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, Calif...
Oct. 23, 2014 01:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,569
Almost everyone sees the potential of Internet of Things but how can businesses truly unlock that potential. The key will be in the ability to discover business insight in the midst of an ocean of Big Data generated from billions of embedded devices via Systems of Discover. Businesses will also need to ensure that they can sustain that insight by leveraging the cloud for global reach, scale and elasticity.
Oct. 22, 2014 09:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,409
WebRTC defines no default signaling protocol, causing fragmentation between WebRTC silos. SIP and XMPP provide possibilities, but come with considerable complexity and are not designed for use in a web environment. In his session at Internet of @ThingsExpo, Matthew Hodgson, technical co-founder of the Matrix.org, will discuss how Matrix is a new non-profit Open Source Project that defines both a new HTTP-based standard for VoIP & IM signaling and provides reference implementations.
Oct. 22, 2014 01:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,554
SUNNYVALE, Calif., Oct. 20, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Spansion Inc. (NYSE: CODE), a global leader in embedded systems, today added 96 new products to the Spansion® FM4 Family of flexible microcontrollers (MCUs). Based on the ARM® Cortex®-M4F core, the new MCUs boast a 200 MHz operating frequency and support a diverse set of on-chip peripherals for enhanced human machine interfaces (HMIs) and machine-to-machine (M2M) communications. The rich set of periphera...
Oct. 21, 2014 08:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,613
SYS-CON Events announced today that Aria Systems, the recurring revenue expert, has been named "Bronze Sponsor" of SYS-CON's 15th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 4-6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Aria Systems helps leading businesses connect their customers with the products and services they love. Industry leaders like Pitney Bowes, Experian, AAA NCNU, VMware, HootSuite and many others choose Aria to power their recurring revenue business and deliver exceptional experiences to their customers.
Oct. 21, 2014 06:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,498
The Internet of Things (IoT) is going to require a new way of thinking and of developing software for speed, security and innovation. This requires IT leaders to balance business as usual while anticipating for the next market and technology trends. Cloud provides the right IT asset portfolio to help today’s IT leaders manage the old and prepare for the new. Today the cloud conversation is evolving from private and public to hybrid. This session will provide use cases and insights to reinforce the value of the network in helping organizations to maximize their company’s cloud experience.
Oct. 21, 2014 05:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,582
The Internet of Things (IoT) is making everything it touches smarter – smart devices, smart cars and smart cities. And lucky us, we’re just beginning to reap the benefits as we work toward a networked society. However, this technology-driven innovation is impacting more than just individuals. The IoT has an environmental impact as well, which brings us to the theme of this month’s #IoTuesday Twitter chat. The ability to remove inefficiencies through connected objects is driving change throughout every sector, including waste management. BigBelly Solar, located just outside of Boston, is trans...
Oct. 21, 2014 09:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,758
Oct. 20, 2014 11:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,463
Predicted by Gartner to add $1.9 trillion to the global economy by 2020, the Internet of Everything (IoE) is based on the idea that devices, systems and services will connect in simple, transparent ways, enabling seamless interactions among devices across brands and sectors. As this vision unfolds, it is clear that no single company can accomplish the level of interoperability required to support the horizontal aspects of the IoE. The AllSeen Alliance, announced in December 2013, was formed with the goal to advance IoE adoption and innovation in the connected home, healthcare, education, aut...
Oct. 20, 2014 11:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,852