|By PR Newswire||
|February 16, 2014 04:00 AM EST||
77% of Brits are after something a little more weird and wonderful when booking their UK accommodation
- 52% of Brits already experimenting with alternative accommodation
- 70% say they would be most excited about staying in a castle
- Booking.com reveals list of some of the most surprising stays in the UK
LONDON, Feb. 16, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- British holidaymakers are craving something more surprising and a little 'out of the ordinary' when booking their UK accommodation, according to research* from Booking.com. Statistics released today show that more than three quarters (77%) of Brits would like to be able to stay somewhere a little more unusual when taking a trip in the UK.
The poll of more than 2,000 Brits also highlighted how almost one fifth look for more adventurous stays close to home, with 19% stating that they like to enjoy something quintessentially British. When asked about what they look for in an alternative place to stay, Brits say they would be most excited about a stay in a castle or other historical building (70%), with 13% claiming they like to be able to live out a childhood fantasy when holidaying in the UK.
From the 25 million reviews from holidaymakers on its site, Booking.com has identified some of the most highly rated properties from across the country. With 52% of Brits already experimenting by staying everywhere from castles to refurbished prisons, Booking.com has created a list of ten of the most surprising stays. The list includes a Llama Bed & Breakfast (with real life llamas), an apartment boat based on the Titanic and a refurbished railway station which allows you to spend the night in a restored train carriage.
Ten of the most surprising stays in the UK:
- Llamas Pyjamas B&B, Penrith
- The Old Railway Station, Petworth
- Camp Katur, North Yorkshire
- Coombe Abbey Hotel, Coventry
- Houseboat Hotels, Sheffield
- The Witchery by the Castle, Edinburgh
- Penny Lane Hotel, Liverpool
- Titanic Boat, Liverpool Albert Dock
- The Little Hide, York
- The Cider Works, Dover
It would also appear it is the little things that make the biggest difference when it comes to British holidaymakers booking their 'staycation'. Ensuring it is cosy enough to distract from the typical British weather (27%) and being able to get hold of their home comforts, such as being able to make a cup of tea (10%) are amongst the most popular determining factors. Almost one in ten base their accommodation decision purely on the quality of the sausage they get for breakfast.
Jason Grist, spokesperson for Booking.com commented; "We know Brits take longer to plan their accommodation, making sure they get it right really makes a holiday. One in ten Brits never like to take the same holiday twice, so we're sharing the alternative and diverse properties available to help to ensure they have the best experience every time,"
With more than 25 different varieties and over 424,000 properties in 195 countries, Booking.com has the best accommodation offering in the world, making it the perfect complement for the savvy British traveller.
*Consumer research of 2,234 British holidaymakers conducted by Censuswide, February 2013.
Ten of the most surprising stays in the UK as chosen by Booking.com;
- Llamas Pyjamas B&B, Penrith: Ever enjoyed a full English breakfast with a Llama? At this five star B&B you can do just that as well as taking a llama lingo course – to help you communicate telepathically with animals. Animal loving visitors have flocked both nationally and internationally to get up close and personal with these furry friends at this one of a kind destination. This Penrith B&B has even become a buzz on social media across China!
- The Old Railway Station, Petworth: The perfect stay for any rail enthusiast and widely acknowledged as Britain's most beautiful railway station. Built in 1892 for the Prince of Wales, you will feel like royalty yourself as you lay your head for the night inside a rare Edwardian Pullman railway carriage.
- Camp Katur, North Yorkshire: For a camping trip with a difference this extraordinary 250 acre estate comprise of luxury safari tents, tepees and woodland hobbit pods! This eco-friendly site allows you to camp without electricity and enjoy an eco-spa on site.
- Coombe Abbey Hotel, Coventry: Specialising in murder mysteries, ghost tours and medieval banquets, this unique Cistercian Abbey was partially designed by William Winde, who was also responsible for creating the most famous home in the country – Buckingham Palace. Bethany, who works at the Abbey comments, "You might even find little surprises such as discovering your bathroom hidden behind a bookcase!"
- Houseboat Hotels, Sheffield: These stylish houseboats offer a unique guest experience and are the only offering of its kind in the UK. Docked in Sheffield's Victoria Quays the boats are only a short walk from the city but provide the tranquillity of being at a country retreat.
- The Witchery by the Castle, Edinburgh: With seven in ten Brits saying they would be most excited about spending the night in a castle, nowhere is more magical than The Witchery. In the shadow of the famous Edinburgh Castle, The Witchery has its original carved door lintel and winding turret staircase and is a must stay for a 16th century historical enthusiasts.
- Penny Lane Hotel, Liverpool: The perfect place for any Beatles fan to rest after a 'hard day's night' - unlike many other music-themed hotels, reviewers have commented that Penny Lane has been "tastefully renovated". Hotel rooms have a view of the bus shelter at Penny Lane Junction, where John Lennon and Paul McCartney used to meet.
- Titanic Boat, Liverpool Albert Dock: You don't need to be Kate Winslet or Leonardo DiCaprio to experience this stunning apartment boat, designed to resemble the original Titanic. With its crystal chandeliers and floors copied from the lounge on the original ship you will feel like you have stepped back into the golden age of travel.
- The Little Hide, York: Camping, even in the great British weather, can be made cosy and warm thanks to this 'grown up glamping' site. Each of these cute bespoke camping pods were built locally to the owner's specifications, which she also stained and waxed herself by hand!
- The Cider Works, Dover: What's not to love about beautiful holiday apartments where cider is also produced? Opened by the Earl of Guildford two years ago, this family-run guest house, café and cider-processing combo has already racked up an 'exceptional' 9.5 rating on Booking.com.
Booking.com is the world leader in booking hotel and other accommodations online. It guarantees the best prices for any type of property – from small independents to five-star luxury. Guests can access the Booking.com website anytime, anywhere from their desktops, mobile phones and tablet devices, and they don't pay booking fees – ever. The Booking.com website is available in 41 languages, offers more than 424,000 hotels and accommodations in 195 countries, features 25 million reviews written by guests after their stay, and attracts online visitors from both leisure and business markets around the globe. With over 17 years of experience and a team of over 6,400 dedicated employees in 115+ offices worldwide, Booking.com operates its own in-house customer service team, which is available 24/7 to assist guests in their native languages and ensure an exceptional customer experience.
Established in 1996, Booking.com B.V. owns and operates Booking.com™, and is part of The Priceline Group (NASDAQ: PCLN). Follow us on Twitter, Google+ and Pinterest, like us on Facebook, or learn more at http://www.booking.com.
I wanted to gather all of my Internet of Things (IOT) blogs into a single blog (that I could later use with my University of San Francisco (USF) Big Data “MBA” course). However as I started to pull these blogs together, I realized that my IOT discussion lacked a vision; it lacked an end point towards which an organization could drive their IOT envisioning, proof of value, app dev, data engineering and data science efforts. And I think that the IOT end point is really quite simple…
Aug. 27, 2016 12:45 PM EDT Reads: 2,327
Internet of @ThingsExpo, taking place November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, is co-located with 19th Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. The Internet of Things (IoT) is the most profound change in personal and enterprise IT since the creation of the Worldwide Web more than 20 years ago. All major researchers estimate there will be tens of billions devices - comp...
Aug. 27, 2016 12:30 PM EDT Reads: 3,603
DevOps at Cloud Expo, taking place Nov 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, is co-located with 19th Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. The widespread success of cloud computing is driving the DevOps revolution in enterprise IT. Now as never before, development teams must communicate and collaborate in a dynamic, 24/7/365 environment. There is no time to wait for long dev...
Aug. 27, 2016 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,344
The 19th International Cloud Expo has announced that its Call for Papers is open. Cloud Expo, to be held November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, brings together Cloud Computing, Big Data, Internet of Things, DevOps, Digital Transformation, Microservices and WebRTC to one location. With cloud computing driving a higher percentage of enterprise IT budgets every year, it becomes increasingly important to plant your flag in this fast-expanding business opportuni...
Aug. 27, 2016 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 3,959
Data is the fuel that drives the machine learning algorithmic engines and ultimately provides the business value. In his session at Cloud Expo, Ed Featherston, a director and senior enterprise architect at Collaborative Consulting, will discuss the key considerations around quality, volume, timeliness, and pedigree that must be dealt with in order to properly fuel that engine.
Aug. 27, 2016 10:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,883
Pulzze Systems was happy to participate in such a premier event and thankful to be receiving the winning investment and global network support from G-Startup Worldwide. It is an exciting time for Pulzze to showcase the effectiveness of innovative technologies and enable them to make the world smarter and better. The reputable contest is held to identify promising startups around the globe that are assured to change the world through their innovative products and disruptive technologies. There w...
Aug. 27, 2016 07:45 AM EDT Reads: 659
Today we can collect lots and lots of performance data. We build beautiful dashboards and even have fancy query languages to access and transform the data. Still performance data is a secret language only a couple of people understand. The more business becomes digital the more stakeholders are interested in this data including how it relates to business. Some of these people have never used a monitoring tool before. They have a question on their mind like “How is my application doing” but no id...
Aug. 27, 2016 03:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,775
Personalization has long been the holy grail of marketing. Simply stated, communicate the most relevant offer to the right person and you will increase sales. To achieve this, you must understand the individual. Consequently, digital marketers developed many ways to gather and leverage customer information to deliver targeted experiences. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Lou Casal, Founder and Principal Consultant at Practicala, discussed how the Internet of Things (IoT) has accelerated our abil...
Aug. 27, 2016 02:30 AM EDT Reads: 2,005
With so much going on in this space you could be forgiven for thinking you were always working with yesterday’s technologies. So much change, so quickly. What do you do if you have to build a solution from the ground up that is expected to live in the field for at least 5-10 years? This is the challenge we faced when we looked to refresh our existing 10-year-old custom hardware stack to measure the fullness of trash cans and compactors.
Aug. 27, 2016 01:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,734
The emerging Internet of Everything creates tremendous new opportunities for customer engagement and business model innovation. However, enterprises must overcome a number of critical challenges to bring these new solutions to market. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Michael Martin, CTO/CIO at nfrastructure, outlined these key challenges and recommended approaches for overcoming them to achieve speed and agility in the design, development and implementation of Internet of Everything solutions wi...
Aug. 27, 2016 01:15 AM EDT Reads: 2,016
Cloud computing is being adopted in one form or another by 94% of enterprises today. Tens of billions of new devices are being connected to The Internet of Things. And Big Data is driving this bus. An exponential increase is expected in the amount of information being processed, managed, analyzed, and acted upon by enterprise IT. This amazing is not part of some distant future - it is happening today. One report shows a 650% increase in enterprise data by 2020. Other estimates are even higher....
Aug. 27, 2016 12:45 AM EDT Reads: 2,941
SYS-CON Events announced today that 910Telecom will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Housed in the classic Denver Gas & Electric Building, 910 15th St., 910Telecom is a carrier-neutral telecom hotel located in the heart of Denver. Adjacent to CenturyLink, AT&T, and Denver Main, 910Telecom offers connectivity to all major carriers, Internet service providers, Internet backbones and ...
Aug. 26, 2016 10:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,862
SYS-CON Events announced today Telecom Reseller has been named “Media Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Telecom Reseller reports on Unified Communications, UCaaS, BPaaS for enterprise and SMBs. They report extensively on both customer premises based solutions such as IP-PBX as well as cloud based and hosted platforms.
Aug. 26, 2016 07:00 PM EDT Reads: 691
Smart Cities are here to stay, but for their promise to be delivered, the data they produce must not be put in new siloes. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Mathias Herberts, Co-founder and CTO of Cityzen Data, will deep dive into best practices that will ensure a successful smart city journey.
Aug. 26, 2016 04:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,555
There is growing need for data-driven applications and the need for digital platforms to build these apps. In his session at 19th Cloud Expo, Muddu Sudhakar, VP and GM of Security & IoT at Splunk, will cover different PaaS solutions and Big Data platforms that are available to build applications. In addition, AI and machine learning are creating new requirements that developers need in the building of next-gen apps. The next-generation digital platforms have some of the past platform needs a...
Aug. 26, 2016 03:15 PM EDT Reads: 514
19th Cloud Expo, taking place November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. Cloud computing is now being embraced by a majority of enterprises of all sizes. Yesterday's debate about public vs. private has transformed into the reality of hybrid cloud: a recent survey shows that 74% of enterprises have a hybrid cloud strategy. Meanwhile, 94% of enterpri...
Aug. 26, 2016 05:00 AM EDT Reads: 3,066
Identity is in everything and customers are looking to their providers to ensure the security of their identities, transactions and data. With the increased reliance on cloud-based services, service providers must build security and trust into their offerings, adding value to customers and improving the user experience. Making identity, security and privacy easy for customers provides a unique advantage over the competition.
Aug. 25, 2016 09:15 PM EDT Reads: 2,251
Is the ongoing quest for agility in the data center forcing you to evaluate how to be a part of infrastructure automation efforts? As organizations evolve toward bimodal IT operations, they are embracing new service delivery models and leveraging virtualization to increase infrastructure agility. Therefore, the network must evolve in parallel to become equally agile. Read this essential piece of Gartner research for recommendations on achieving greater agility.
Aug. 25, 2016 05:15 PM EDT Reads: 802
SYS-CON Events announced today that Venafi, the Immune System for the Internet™ and the leading provider of Next Generation Trust Protection, will exhibit at @DevOpsSummit at 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Venafi is the Immune System for the Internet™ that protects the foundation of all cybersecurity – cryptographic keys and digital certificates – so they can’t be misused by bad guys in attacks...
Aug. 25, 2016 01:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,642
For basic one-to-one voice or video calling solutions, WebRTC has proven to be a very powerful technology. Although WebRTC’s core functionality is to provide secure, real-time p2p media streaming, leveraging native platform features and server-side components brings up new communication capabilities for web and native mobile applications, allowing for advanced multi-user use cases such as video broadcasting, conferencing, and media recording.
Aug. 25, 2016 08:45 AM EDT Reads: 2,170