|By Bob Gourley||
|January 19, 2014 04:20 PM EST||
By Bob Gourley
You know the top federal IT news of 2013, after all, you probably lived it. We all tracked topics like the Shutdown and its impact on IT, HealthCare.gov, NSA programs, Data Center consolidation efforts.
Every one of those stories have something in common. None of them were really about technology. The really interesting stories, at least from a CTO perspective, are big technology mega trends that are forcing change and positive improvements in enterprise IT.
I reviewed a years worth of reporting at CTOvision.com, FederalTimes, SiliconANGLE, Mashable and TechCrunch with an eye to the technology stories I believe had the biggest impact on the federal enterprise in 2013. The result is below in this list of
The Top Federal Technology Topics of 2013
- Drones and Robots: Through the year we reported on continued advancements in robotics, starting with fun stories and video clips of robot fish and surfing robot drones. DARPA has been investing in Robotics for years and reports throughout 2013 showed continued progress in humanoid robots as well as military systems. Some cool ones are being fielded by Boston Dynamics. This company was acquired by Google at years end causing many of us to think through the scary prophecies of Bill Joy in his April 2000 Wired piece on “Why the Future Doesn’t Need Us.” Years of DARPA work and follow-on work by the USN and integrators resulted in Robotic drones landing on and taking off from Aircraft Carriers. We also highlighted Northrop Grumman’s fielding of a fearless combat Robot with incredibly firepower.
- Enterprise Data Hub: This could be the number one trend in data. The place for enterprises to store all data with enterprise grade data management and protection, with access by any system (from legacy to modern, from proprietary to open source). This is the big data news of 2013, from a technology perspective.
- Google Glass: While still in a beta program, the Glass is out there and we have been testing it. A killer app for Glass is the camera, which can take photos and video. Another killer app is the ability to search Google (including asking just about any question in the world) just by your voice. These devices are just the most widely know of the new category of Wearable computers. Wearables were a definite hot topic in 2013 and this will continue.
- Software Defined Networking: This new concept and technology, referred to as SDN, has the potential to be just as virtuous and disruptive as virtualization was to the server industry. 2013 saw many government technology professionals begin to examine this construct.
- In Memory Computing: This is a new architecture approach that is being leveraged to modernize old systems and design new systems that perform at incredible capacity. This takes advantage of new powerful RAM technologies that allow massive quantities of data to be held in memory.
- Microsoft Office 365: For many this just snuck up on us. Microsoft has been saying they are going to the cloud for years, but always seemed to be behind the first movers. In 2013 they came out with this technology that has leaped ahead of the crowd, delivering incredibly low cost, high performance capabilities for individuals, small businesses and enterprises. This should have been a bigger tech story in 2013.
- Business Intelligence 2.0: For years, Business Intelligence was a discipline and a set of technologies that helped answer specific questions of use to specific groups. For the most part, it was for closed-world-classes of problems where the data and questions were known long in advance of system design. With the new technologies of Big Data, a new way of doing business intelligence has come about and these tools are making their way into the federal enterprise and are already making a difference. Expect this to accelerate into 2014 as well.
- Hadoop 2.0: 2013 saw the release of a new version of Hadoop, the first major upgrade since the beginning of Hadoop. Hadoop 2.0 consists of significant improvements to many components, including new abilities to program Hadoop (new Map Reduce capabilities called YARN), new ways of tracking jobs, new ways to track the status of resources and other new capabilities. Hadoop was, in my opinion, the most significant technology in the federal space in 2013 because of its mission impact in so many sectors. It may well be that again in 2014.
That is my short list of technologies that had the biggest impact in the federal space in 2013. Did I miss any? Please let me know in the comments or via Twitter. You can find me at http://Twitter.com/BobGourley
SYS-CON Events announced today that Transparent Cloud Computing (T-Cloud) Consortium will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. The Transparent Cloud Computing Consortium (T-Cloud Consortium) will conduct research activities into changes in the computing model as a result of collaboration between "device" and "cloud" and the creation of new value and markets through organic data proces...
Oct. 26, 2016 08:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,471
In the next five to ten years, millions, if not billions of things will become smarter. This smartness goes beyond connected things in our homes like the fridge, thermostat and fancy lighting, and into heavily regulated industries including aerospace, pharmaceutical/medical devices and energy. “Smartness” will embed itself within individual products that are part of our daily lives. We will engage with smart products - learning from them, informing them, and communicating with them. Smart produc...
Oct. 26, 2016 08:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,564
SYS-CON Events announced today that Enzu will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Enzu’s mission is to be the leading provider of enterprise cloud solutions worldwide. Enzu enables online businesses to use its IT infrastructure to their competitive advantage. By offering a suite of proven hosting and management services, Enzu wants companies to focus on the core of their online busine...
Oct. 26, 2016 08:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,406
WebRTC adoption has generated a wave of creative uses of communications and collaboration through websites, sales apps, customer care and business applications. As WebRTC has become more mainstream it has evolved to use cases beyond the original peer-to-peer case, which has led to a repeating requirement for interoperability with existing infrastructures. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Graham Holt, Executive Vice President of Daitan Group, will cover implementation examples that have enabled ea...
Oct. 26, 2016 07:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,348
SYS-CON Events announced today that Coalfire will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Coalfire is the trusted leader in cybersecurity risk management and compliance services. Coalfire integrates advisory and technical assessments and recommendations to the corporate directors, executives, boards, and IT organizations for global brands and organizations in the technology, cloud, health...
Oct. 26, 2016 06:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,658
In past @ThingsExpo presentations, Joseph di Paolantonio has explored how various Internet of Things (IoT) and data management and analytics (DMA) solution spaces will come together as sensor analytics ecosystems. This year, in his session at @ThingsExpo, Joseph di Paolantonio from DataArchon, will be adding the numerous Transportation areas, from autonomous vehicles to “Uber for containers.” While IoT data in any one area of Transportation will have a huge impact in that area, combining sensor...
Oct. 26, 2016 06:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,088
November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Penta Security is a leading vendor for data security solutions, including its encryption solution, D’Amo. By using FPE technology, D’Amo allows for the implementation of encryption technology to sensitive data fields without modification to schema in the database environment. With businesses having their data become increasingly more complicated in their mission-critical applications (such as ERP, CRM, HRM), continued ...
Oct. 26, 2016 06:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,149
SYS-CON Events announced today that Cloudbric, a leading website security provider, will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Cloudbric is an elite full service website protection solution specifically designed for IT novices, entrepreneurs, and small and medium businesses. First launched in 2015, Cloudbric is based on the enterprise level Web Application Firewall by Penta Security Sys...
Oct. 26, 2016 05:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,276
WebRTC sits at the intersection between VoIP and the Web. As such, it poses some interesting challenges for those developing services on top of it, but also for those who need to test and monitor these services. In his session at WebRTC Summit, Tsahi Levent-Levi, co-founder of testRTC, reviewed the various challenges posed by WebRTC when it comes to testing and monitoring and on ways to overcome them.
Oct. 26, 2016 05:00 PM EDT Reads: 4,207
"Matrix is an ambitious open standard and implementation that's set up to break down the fragmentation problems that exist in IP messaging and VoIP communication," explained John Woolf, Technical Evangelist at Matrix, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at @ThingsExpo, held Nov 4–6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Oct. 26, 2016 05:00 PM EDT Reads: 9,069
In his general session at 18th Cloud Expo, Lee Atchison, Principal Cloud Architect and Advocate at New Relic, discussed cloud as a ‘better data center’ and how it adds new capacity (faster) and improves application availability (redundancy). The cloud is a ‘Dynamic Tool for Dynamic Apps’ and resource allocation is an integral part of your application architecture, so use only the resources you need and allocate /de-allocate resources on the fly.
Oct. 26, 2016 04:00 PM EDT Reads: 3,832
DevOps is being widely accepted (if not fully adopted) as essential in enterprise IT. But as Enterprise DevOps gains maturity, expands scope, and increases velocity, the need for data-driven decisions across teams becomes more acute. DevOps teams in any modern business must wrangle the ‘digital exhaust’ from the delivery toolchain, "pervasive" and "cognitive" computing, APIs and services, mobile devices and applications, the Internet of Things, and now even blockchain. In this power panel at @...
Oct. 26, 2016 04:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,125
SYS-CON Events announced today that SoftNet Solutions will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. SoftNet Solutions specializes in Enterprise Solutions for Hadoop and Big Data. It offers customers the most open, robust, and value-conscious portfolio of solutions, services, and tools for the shortest route to success with Big Data. The unique differentiator is the ability to architect and ...
Oct. 26, 2016 03:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,086
SYS-CON Events announced today that Embotics, the cloud automation company, will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Embotics is the cloud automation company for IT organizations and service providers that need to improve provisioning or enable self-service capabilities. With a relentless focus on delivering a premier user experience and unmatched customer support, Embotics is the fas...
Oct. 26, 2016 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,012
SYS-CON Events announced today that MathFreeOn will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. MathFreeOn is Software as a Service (SaaS) used in Engineering and Math education. Write scripts and solve math problems online. MathFreeOn provides online courses for beginners or amateurs who have difficulties in writing scripts. In accordance with various mathematical topics, there are more tha...
Oct. 26, 2016 01:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,114
SYS-CON Events announced today that Niagara Networks will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Niagara Networks offers the highest port-density systems, and the most complete Next-Generation Network Visibility systems including Network Packet Brokers, Bypass Switches, and Network TAPs.
Oct. 26, 2016 01:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,426
The best way to leverage your Cloud Expo presence as a sponsor and exhibitor is to plan your news announcements around our events. The press covering Cloud Expo and @ThingsExpo will have access to these releases and will amplify your news announcements. More than two dozen Cloud companies either set deals at our shows or have announced their mergers and acquisitions at Cloud Expo. Product announcements during our show provide your company with the most reach through our targeted audiences.
Oct. 26, 2016 01:00 PM EDT Reads: 5,031
@ThingsExpo has been named the Top 5 Most Influential Internet of Things Brand by Onalytica in the ‘The Internet of Things Landscape 2015: Top 100 Individuals and Brands.' Onalytica analyzed Twitter conversations around the #IoT debate to uncover the most influential brands and individuals driving the conversation. Onalytica captured data from 56,224 users. The PageRank based methodology they use to extract influencers on a particular topic (tweets mentioning #InternetofThings or #IoT in this ...
Oct. 26, 2016 12:45 PM EDT Reads: 8,574
In his general session at 19th Cloud Expo, Manish Dixit, VP of Product and Engineering at Dice, will discuss how Dice leverages data insights and tools to help both tech professionals and recruiters better understand how skills relate to each other and which skills are in high demand using interactive visualizations and salary indicator tools to maximize earning potential. Manish Dixit is VP of Product and Engineering at Dice. As the leader of the Product, Engineering and Data Sciences team a...
Oct. 26, 2016 12:45 PM EDT Reads: 633
Virgil consists of an open-source encryption library, which implements Cryptographic Message Syntax (CMS) and Elliptic Curve Integrated Encryption Scheme (ECIES) (including RSA schema), a Key Management API, and a cloud-based Key Management Service (Virgil Keys). The Virgil Keys Service consists of a public key service and a private key escrow service.
Oct. 26, 2016 12:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,173