|By Business Wire||
|October 29, 2013 11:02 AM EDT||
With more than 7,000 children’s health professionals in attendance at the American Academy of Pediatrics National Conference & Exhibition, Miami Children’s Hospital (MCH) and HealthFusion, Inc. unveiled their new electronic health record system, P.E.D.S. EHR Office Edition. Dr. Jacques Orces, MCH’s chief medical information officer, and Dr. Sol Lizerbram, chairman and co-founder of HealthFusion, made the announcement at a private event last evening with a mix of reporters, physicians and healthcare executives in attendance.
The introduction of P.E.D.S. EHR Office Edition marks a significant and strategic development for the two major healthcare entities. For Miami Children’s Hospital, the partnership signifies the importance of technology as a means of cementing its relationship with referring physicians. For HealthFusion, which developed MediTouch EHR and from which the P.E.D.S. system was created, the partnership represents another opportunity to reach community physicians.
“We considered many EHRs for our community-based physician colleagues, and when we came across MediTouch, we saw it as an elegant solution – one that made sense for all the physicians we work with,” said Edward Martinez, chief information officer for Miami Children’s Health System and the recipient of the 2013 CIO Lifetime Achievement Award. “The system is easy to use, secure, and has all the bells and whistles physicians will benefit from in an EHR.”
Pediatricians and their staff who use P.E.D.S. can interface directly with the Miami Children’s Hospital’s data systems and receive patient information. “If a child has surgery at our hospital, her condition, along with other vital information, will be available to her doctor, in record time,” said Mr. Martinez.
Additionally, the EHR was one of the first to become Meaningful Use 2014 certified and ready for Stage 2, so physicians will have access to financial incentives paid by the federal government.
A hospital or health system private labeling an EHR system is a novel concept; however, those involved in the venture anticipate this type of partnership will become common. “This is a new trend in the industry,” said Dr. Lizerbram. “Both physicians and hospitals have voiced frustration over the lack of interoperability between different types of electronic health records systems. P.E.D.S. represents the coming together of community physicians and the hospitals they work with, both in terms of technology and improved care. I have no doubt we’ll be hearing about many more partnerships like this one.”
Within the next year, Mr. Martinez hopes to have between 500 and 600 providers live on the P.E.D.S. system. He is also looking to expand the offering internationally, as MCH often communicates with primary care physicians and other providers in Latin America.
P.E.D.S. includes a robust pediatric module which facilitates quick and secure entry of patient-encounter information typical of what a pediatrician would see in his or her practice. In addition to pediatric-specific workflow functions, it also offers important features such as a built-in dosing calculator for children’s prescriptions, linkages with immunization registries, pre-loaded developmental milestones, and easy-to-produce school and camp forms. While it works on all laptop and desktop computers with Internet access, the EHR is native to the iPad tablet, which allows users to maintain eye contact with their patient while entering information.
About Miami Children’s Hospital
Founded in 1950 by Variety Clubs International, Miami Children's Hospital® is South Florida’s only licensed specialty hospital exclusively for children, with more than 650 attending physicians and over 130 pediatric sub-specialists. The 289-bed hospital is renowned for excellence in all aspects of pediatric medicine. In fact, it is the only hospital in Florida to be ranked in all 10 pediatric specialties assessed by U.S. News & World Report in its annual Best Children's Hospitals rankings for three consecutive years, 2011, 2012 and 2013-14. The hospital is also home to the largest pediatric teaching program in the southeastern United States, and has been designated an American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC) Magnet facility, the nursing profession’s most prestigious institutional honor.
Founded in 1998, HealthFusion develops web-based, cloud computing software for physicians, hospitals and medical billing services. HealthFusion’s fully integrated solution includes MediTouch EHR (Electronic Health Record and Patient Portal) and MediTouch PM (Practice Management and Claims Clearinghouse). MediTouch EHR was designed for use on mobile tablets such as the iPad, and offers a unique array of features that facilitate adoption of EHR technology. Features include a mobile Pure Cloud platform, cross-compatibility with traditional desktop and laptop devices, and an affordable subscription payment model. MediTouch EHR is Meaningful Use 2014 Certified, and thousands of users throughout the country place their trust in HealthFusion and MediTouch every day. Healthcare is complicated; HealthFusion makes it easy. To learn more visit HealthFusion.com or follow HealthFusion on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube. Or contact Michael Kesti at (305) 323-2903, e-mail: MKesti@HealthFusion.com.
- Acquia Appoints Martyn Eley as General Manager of EMEA Operations
- WSO2 Carbon, WSO2 API Manager and WSO2 Governance Registry Increase Speed, Scalability and High Availability Through Hazelcast
- U.S. General Services Administration Moves Order Management System to IBM SmartCloud for Government
- The DevOps Way to Solve JVM Memory Issues
- Cisco Web Security Webinar: Ensure World Class Protection
- SDN: Uncovering Amazon's Secret Sauce
- Mobilizing Business Data: The Holy Grail of Enterprise Mobility
- What Doesn't Kill You Makes You...Smarter
- On-Premise or Cloud ERP - Which Is Right for Your Business?
- Ten Questions to Avoid a Classical Business War Room Scenario
- What Business Leaders Want from IT Monitoring
- The Final IT Evolution – Cloud
- WebRTC Summit at Cloud Expo Agenda Announced
- OneLogin Raises $13M to Power Expansion
- Gartner Hype Cycle 2012 – Emerging Technologies
- Five Technology Trends That Require Scrutiny
- Nine Stunning 3D Printed Objects
- User Accounts Are Only the Tip of the Iceberg
- The Zacks Analyst Blog Highlights: Ford Motor, Microsoft, Volkswagen, General Motors, Autodesk, Apple, Google and Adobe Systems
- Fathers of Clouds – A Tribute
- Acquia Appoints Martyn Eley as General Manager of EMEA Operations
- Open Server Summit Reports Doubling of Registration
- Drupal 8: A View into Performance
- The Top 150 Players in Cloud Computing
- Who Are The All-Time Heroes of i-Technology?
- Where Are RIA Technologies Headed in 2008?
- Success, Arrogance, Rise and Fall
- AJAX World RIA Conference & Expo Kicks Off in New York City
- The Top 250 Players in the Cloud Computing Ecosystem
- Personal Branding Checklist
- i-Technology Viewpoint: Attack of the Blogs
- Exclusive Q&A with Jeff Haynie, Co-Founder & CEO, Appcelerator
- Web 2.0 News and Wrapping Up "Real-World AJAX" Seminar
- Passing Parameters to Flex That Works
- Cloud People: A Who's Who of Cloud Computing