|By Bob Gourley
|March 11, 2013 12:46 PM EDT
By Ryan Kamauff
Cleversafe Ensures Future’s Archive of Magazine Assets and Growing Digital Portfolio Will Always be Available to Communities of Enthusiasts
CHICAGO–(BUSINESS WIRE)–Future [symbol: FUTR] today announced it has selected Cleversafe Inc.’s limitless data storage solution for its massive archive of magazine titles and assets in addition to housing its growing digital portfolio. The company selected Cleversafe after conducting a broad technology search for a storage vendor that could ensure the company’s data integrity and resiliency while scaling exponentially as the company continues to create new content in emerging mediums.
Future, one of the world’s leading creators of multi-media brands, offers over 200 specialty publications, mobile apps, events and websites – attracting more than 50 million unique visitors to its websites per month. With the growth of its digital portfolio, Future saw its need for storing new asset types, such as video, games, and mobile apps, and larger formats for graphics and digital images reach a critical threshold.
“We needed to find a solution that would allow us to store our entire portfolio and image archive in a much more cost-effective manner and maintain those assets at their highest resiliency. That became increasingly challenging as the company was faced with limited server room space, and a desire to lower power usage,” said Sam Eaton, Director of Web Technology for Future. “Out of the gate Cleversafe became an important technology partner and has helped Future achieve its cost objectives with a solid, well implemented storage strategy.”
Cleversafe leverages information dispersal algorithms to virtualize, slice, transform and disperse data across a network of storage nodes. This innovative approach to ingesting and storing data makes data more inherently secure than other storage solutions. Most traditional storage solutions also require multiple copies of data to be stored to ensure data reliability. Cleversafe reduces the number of copies required to store data, dramatically improving physical space requirements. With Cleversafe’s unique information dispersal technology Future realized its goal to secure all of its multi-media assets across its growing global business and was able to make much better use of its physical space and overall disk capacity.
“Future’s business is based on serving communities of enthusiasts who want to learn, interact and engage in topics that they are passionate about. Being able to access Future’s content at any time and through a wide variety of mediums is an important part of their daily lives and critical to the success of Future’s business,” said Russ Kennedy, Vice President of Product Strategy, Marketing and Customer Solutions, for Cleversafe, Inc. “For many companies storage of digital assets is an area of massive growth. Many more companies are looking to leverage multi-media in today’s social and business landscape. To do that successfully requires a well thought out strategy, such as the one Future put in place with Cleversafe, to meet its needs today and well into the future.”
Cleversafe’s object-based storage solution is 10
0 million times more reliable than traditional RAID-based systems and it doesn’t rely on replication to protect information. Its information dispersal capabilities reduce storage costs up to 90 percent while meeting compliance requirements and ensuring protection against data loss. With the combination of limitless scale, highly reliable storage and efficient analytics in the same platform, Cleversafe is solving the most challenging Big Data problems for customers in a very efficient manner.
- Future plc is an international media group and leading digital publisher, listed on the London Stock Exchange (symbol: FUTR).
- Operations in the UK, US and Australia creating 200 publications, apps, websites and events.
- Market-leading positions in Technology, Entertainment, Music, Creative and Sport & Auto sectors.
- Future sells more than 24 million magazines every year, that’s 45 magazines sold every minute. Well known brands include T3, Total Film, Classic Rock and Official Xbox Magazine.
- Attracts more than 50 million monthly global unique users to websites, which include techradar.com, gamesradar.com, bikeradar.com and musicradar.com.
- Delivers over 100 digital editions, selling over two million products in the last 12 months through Apple’s Newsstand for iPad.
- Future exports or syndicates over 200 publications to over 90 countries, the UK’s number one exporter and licensor of magazine content.
- Future is currently Consumer Digital Publisher of the Year for both the Association of Online Publishers and the Professional Publishers Association.