|By Business Wire||
|February 28, 2013 12:00 PM EST||
The Rocky Mountain Venture Capital Association and KPMG LLP are proud to name the 22 early stage and growth companies presenting at the 30th Venture Capital in the Rockies Winter conference (VCIR Winter 2013). This year’s companies embody the diverse innovation taking place in the Rocky Mountain region, with an emphasis on mobile and cloud computing technologies.
The VCIR Winter 2013 conference will be held at the Park Hyatt in Beaver Creek, Colorado, March 5-7, 2013, showcasing companies from Arizona, Colorado and Utah.
“We are excited to be celebrating the 30th year of the VCIR Winter conference,” said Michael Bearup, office managing partner, KPMG LLP and conference co-chairman. “The conference continues to be the single most important event in the region to connect innovative companies with experienced investors and service providers.”
Colorado Governor John Hickenlooper will issue this year’s opening address. As an entrepreneur himself, Hickenlooper will share his vision of making Colorado relentlessly pro-business. In addition, Jeremy Bloom, co-founder of Integrate, an advertising technology and services provider, will give the keynote address.
“The selected companies represent the best and brightest in the Rocky Mountain region,” said Chris Marks, conference co-chairman and partner of High Country Venture, a Boulder-based venture capital firm. “As we enter a new era of mobile and cloud computing, these promising companies are at the forefront of innovation and leadership.”
- BlogFrog works with brand marketers, agencies and publishing partners to harness the power of social influencers through content-driven campaigns that are meaningful and useful for consumers. Its Influencer Marketing platform manages all aspects of high-impact social marketing campaigns, helping brand marketers identify and activate influencers, distribute content across all social networks, and measure campaign performance.
- BlogMutt is a blog writing service that provides small businesses with relevant, quality blog posts each week from a crowd of hundreds of qualified US writers.
- BusyLife Software is mobile commerce. BusyLife offers comprehensive mobile software products such as QwikCart™, an integrated to point-of-sale solution. QwikCart™ provides merchants with branded, mobile commerce solutions that enable their consumers to purchase goods and services from anywhere at any time for pickup, delivery or shipping.
- CipherPoint secures sensitive and regulated content in web-based application environments including premise-based collaboration platforms such as Microsoft SharePoint, cloud, and other web-based applications. CipherPoint's transparent data encryption technology secures content and data from the web tier, affording the highest level of threat protection to sensitive and regulated content.
- Cloud Elements provides pre-built integrations into leading cloud services that help app developers eliminate weeks to months of development time by automating the selection, provisioning, monitoring and maintenance of connections into cloud platforms. "Elements" include custom API integrations with: payments, subscription billing, single sign on, messaging, social media, analytics, and customer service & management applications.
- ContactPoint offers LogMyCalls, a SaaS marketing analytics and automation for the phone. LogMyCalls pulls data from every customer interaction to score leads, manage marketing ROI, provide real-time marketing data and even automate instant CRM actions.
- GeoStrut is the world’s only manufacturer and distributor of lattice structure carbon fiber towers. Using GeoStrut technology allows telecommunication towers, masts and poles to weigh merely ten percent the weight of similar towers made from steel.
- Giiidget is compressing the way the world communicates.
- Laconic Security was founded to address the vacuum in the cloud data security space with innovative and responsible solutions. Its premier product, Laconic Vaults, delivers absolute data privacy to help organizations maximize the potential of cloud storage savings.
- Lagrange Systems has designed a uniquely patented and decentralized approach to cloud-based application delivery that allows for easily combining multiple cloud vendors into a single platform, thus providing higher availability than any single provider can achieve.
- Mobile Pulse provides a SaaS-based solution that enterprises and governments use to measure, compare, and diagnose mobile broadband performance. Mobile Pulse customers are using the service to evaluate carrier and device choices while also using the data and reports to negotiate better rates with their providers and hold them accountable to specific performance criteria.
- OpDemand makes it easy to deploy, monitor and maintain Amazon Web Services and Heroku, helping companies spend less time on operations and more time building their business.
- PaySimple is a cloud-based, SaaS platform for managing and growing small businesses. Available direct to small business and through its large-scale partnership distribution, thousands of businesses are using PaySimple’s turnkey technology to automate billing, accept electronic payments, improve cash flow, manage customers, view real-time business performance, and operate anywhere on its mobile platforms.
- PlayerLync has created a tablet-based platform for secure enterprise communication. The platform provides a more efficient and secure method of distributing large video files, secure documents, or integrated messaging to tablets with an extremely intuitive yet powerful set of end user and administrative tools.
- Prediculous will become the leading provider of casual social sports games. While current sports games are built for the few, die hard fans, the company is building social sports games for all fans.
- RoundPegg allows companies to manage culture from the cloud. Its culture platform features socially-enabled Web-apps that allow companies to measure, manage and monitor their unique culture by pulling levers to hire, develop and engage employees in alignment with the desired culture.
- Roximity delivers relevant offers and alerts based on a users location and preferences.
- Serious Integrated enables original equipment manufacturers to add modern graphic/touch front panels to their products. The company's proprietary software-on-hardware is complemented by breakthrough user interface design tools, delivering a modern look and feel in remarkably short time and minimal custom engineering.
- Surefire Medical develops innovative infusion systems for the interventional oncology market that are designed to precisely deliver therapy through a unique microcatheter with an expandable tip that collapses in forward flow and dynamically expands to the vessel wall in reverse flow. A growing body of clinical evidence indicates that Surefire Medical's infusion and specialty catheter systems increase embolization efficiency, minimize reflux and reduce damage to healthy tissue.
- Threadlife makes shooting video as easy as taking photos and creates movies that are ready to watch, and ready to share. Threadlife encourages the creation of and collaboration on endless, ever-evolving stories.
- TruEffect provides a software as a service advertising technology suite to advertisers and agencies to deliver, measure, manage and target their Internet media activities: ad serving, data management and analytics. TruEffect uses a First-Party customer data approach that enables advertisers to improve targeting the right ad to the right person, more accurately measure advertising effectiveness, and reduce waste in the media buying process all to increase return on ad spend for their customers.
Venture Capital in the Rockies (VCIR) is the region’s oldest and best-attended venture capital conference and will hold its 30th annual VCIR Winter edition in Beaver Creek, Colorado in 2013. Along with the annual VCIR Fall conference, the two VCIR conferences encompass the premier venture investing conferences in the Rocky Mountain region and among the most respected venture conferences in the country. Creating a dynamic marketplace for ideas and investment, each year both editions of VCIR invite 35 to 40 companies seeking investment to present to panels of venture investors, as well as an audience of other entrepreneurs, CEOs and professionals servicing the venture community. More information can be found at www.vcirwinter.com or www.vcirfall.com.
“In the past year we've seen a lot of stabilization of WebRTC. You can now use it in production with a far greater degree of certainty. A lot of the real developments in the past year have been in things like the data channel, which will enable a whole new type of application," explained Peter Dunkley, Technical Director at Acision, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at @ThingsExpo, held Nov 4–6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Oct. 7, 2015 03:00 PM EDT Reads: 6,861
NHK, Japan Broadcasting, will feature the upcoming @ThingsExpo Silicon Valley in a special 'Internet of Things' and smart technology documentary that will be filmed on the expo floor between November 3 to 5, 2015, in Santa Clara. NHK is the sole public TV network in Japan equivalent to the BBC in the UK and the largest in Asia with many award-winning science and technology programs. Japanese TV is producing a documentary about IoT and Smart technology and will be covering @ThingsExpo Silicon Valley. The program, to be aired during the peak viewership season of the year, will have a major impac...
Oct. 7, 2015 02:45 PM EDT Reads: 165
Developing software for the Internet of Things (IoT) comes with its own set of challenges. Security, privacy, and unified standards are a few key issues. In addition, each IoT product is comprised of at least three separate application components: the software embedded in the device, the backend big-data service, and the mobile application for the end user's controls. Each component is developed by a different team, using different technologies and practices, and deployed to a different stack/target - this makes the integration of these separate pipelines and the coordination of software upd...
Oct. 7, 2015 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 191
"Matrix is an ambitious open standard and implementation that's set up to break down the fragmentation problems that exist in IP messaging and VoIP communication," explained John Woolf, Technical Evangelist at Matrix, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at @ThingsExpo, held Nov 4–6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Oct. 7, 2015 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 5,838
You have your devices and your data, but what about the rest of your Internet of Things story? Two popular classes of technologies that nicely handle the Big Data analytics for Internet of Things are Apache Hadoop and NoSQL. Hadoop is designed for parallelizing analytical work across many servers and is ideal for the massive data volumes you create with IoT devices. NoSQL databases such as Apache HBase are ideal for storing and retrieving IoT data as “time series data.”
Oct. 7, 2015 01:45 PM EDT Reads: 480
There are so many tools and techniques for data analytics that even for a data scientist the choices, possible systems, and even the types of data can be daunting. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Chris Harrold, Global CTO for Big Data Solutions for EMC Corporation, will show how to perform a simple, but meaningful analysis of social sentiment data using freely available tools that take only minutes to download and install. Participants will get the download information, scripts, and complete end-to-end walkthrough of the analysis from start to finish. Participants will also be given the pract...
Oct. 7, 2015 01:45 PM EDT Reads: 102
Clearly the way forward is to move to cloud be it bare metal, VMs or containers. One aspect of the current public clouds that is slowing this cloud migration is cloud lock-in. Every cloud vendor is trying to make it very difficult to move out once a customer has chosen their cloud. In his session at 17th Cloud Expo, Naveen Nimmu, CEO of Clouber, Inc., will advocate that making the inter-cloud migration as simple as changing airlines would help the entire industry to quickly adopt the cloud without worrying about any lock-in fears. In fact by having standard APIs for IaaS would help PaaS expl...
Oct. 7, 2015 01:30 PM EDT Reads: 608
SYS-CON Events announced today that Luxoft Holding, Inc., a leading provider of software development services and innovative IT solutions, has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's @ThingsExpo, which will take place on November 3–5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Luxoft’s software development services consist of core and mission-critical custom software development and support, product engineering and testing, and technology consulting.
Oct. 7, 2015 01:15 PM EDT Reads: 599
SYS-CON Events announced today that ProfitBricks, the provider of painless cloud infrastructure, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 17th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 3–5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. ProfitBricks is the IaaS provider that offers a painless cloud experience for all IT users, with no learning curve. ProfitBricks boasts flexible cloud servers and networking, an integrated Data Center Designer tool for visual control over the cloud and the best price/performance value available. ProfitBricks was named one of the coolest Clo...
Oct. 7, 2015 01:00 PM EDT Reads: 749
Organizations already struggle with the simple collection of data resulting from the proliferation of IoT, lacking the right infrastructure to manage it. They can't only rely on the cloud to collect and utilize this data because many applications still require dedicated infrastructure for security, redundancy, performance, etc. In his session at 17th Cloud Expo, Emil Sayegh, CEO of Codero Hosting, will discuss how in order to resolve the inherent issues, companies need to combine dedicated and cloud solutions through hybrid hosting – a sustainable solution for the data required to manage I...
Oct. 7, 2015 01:00 PM EDT Reads: 454
WebRTC is about the data channel as much as about video and audio conferencing. However, basically all commercial WebRTC applications have been built with a focus on audio and video. The handling of “data” has been limited to text chat and file download – all other data sharing seems to end with screensharing. What is holding back a more intensive use of peer-to-peer data? In her session at @ThingsExpo, Dr Silvia Pfeiffer, WebRTC Applications Team Lead at National ICT Australia, will look at different existing uses of peer-to-peer data sharing and how it can become useful in a live session to...
Oct. 7, 2015 01:00 PM EDT Reads: 551
Mobile messaging has been a popular communication channel for more than 20 years. Finnish engineer Matti Makkonen invented the idea for SMS (Short Message Service) in 1984, making his vision a reality on December 3, 1992 by sending the first message ("Happy Christmas") from a PC to a cell phone. Since then, the technology has evolved immensely, from both a technology standpoint, and in our everyday uses for it. Originally used for person-to-person (P2P) communication, i.e., Sally sends a text message to Betty – mobile messaging now offers tremendous value to businesses for customer and empl...
Oct. 7, 2015 12:15 PM EDT Reads: 196
Scott Guthrie's keynote presentation "Journey to the intelligent cloud" is a must view video. This is from AzureCon 2015, September 29, 2015 I have reproduced some screen shots in case you are unable to view this long video for one reason or another. One of the highlights is 3 datacenters coming on line in India.
Oct. 7, 2015 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 256
Nowadays, a large number of sensors and devices are connected to the network. Leading-edge IoT technologies integrate various types of sensor data to create a new value for several business decision scenarios. The transparent cloud is a model of a new IoT emergence service platform. Many service providers store and access various types of sensor data in order to create and find out new business values by integrating such data.
Oct. 7, 2015 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 469
SYS-CON Events announced today that IBM Cloud Data Services has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 17th Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 3–5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. IBM Cloud Data Services offers a portfolio of integrated, best-of-breed cloud data services for developers focused on mobile computing and analytics use cases.
Oct. 7, 2015 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 674
Apps and devices shouldn't stop working when there's limited or no network connectivity. Learn how to bring data stored in a cloud database to the edge of the network (and back again) whenever an Internet connection is available. In his session at 17th Cloud Expo, Bradley Holt, Developer Advocate at IBM Cloud Data Services, will demonstrate techniques for replicating cloud databases with devices in order to build offline-first mobile or Internet of Things (IoT) apps that can provide a better, faster user experience, both offline and online. The focus of this talk will be on IBM Cloudant, Apa...
Oct. 7, 2015 11:45 AM EDT Reads: 489
The enterprise is being consumerized, and the consumer is being enterprised. Moore's Law does not matter anymore, the future belongs to business virtualization powered by invisible service architecture, powered by hyperscale and hyperconvergence, and facilitated by vertical streaming and horizontal scaling and consolidation. Both buyers and sellers want instant results, and from paperwork to paperless to mindless is the ultimate goal for any seamless transaction. The sweetest sweet spot in innovation is automation. The most painful pain point for any business is the mismatch between supplies a...
Oct. 7, 2015 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 151
As a company adopts a DevOps approach to software development, what are key things that both the Dev and Ops side of the business must keep in mind to ensure effective continuous delivery? In his session at DevOps Summit, Mark Hydar, Head of DevOps, Ericsson TV Platforms, will share best practices and provide helpful tips for Ops teams to adopt an open line of communication with the development side of the house to ensure success between the two sides.
Oct. 7, 2015 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 562
As more and more data is generated from a variety of connected devices, the need to get insights from this data and predict future behavior and trends is increasingly essential for businesses. Real-time stream processing is needed in a variety of different industries such as Manufacturing, Oil and Gas, Automobile, Finance, Online Retail, Smart Grids, and Healthcare. Azure Stream Analytics is a fully managed distributed stream computation service that provides low latency, scalable processing of streaming data in the cloud with an enterprise grade SLA. It features built-in integration with Azur...
Oct. 7, 2015 10:00 AM EDT Reads: 739
WebRTC services have already permeated corporate communications in the form of videoconferencing solutions. However, WebRTC has the potential of going beyond and catalyzing a new class of services providing more than calls with capabilities such as mass-scale real-time media broadcasting, enriched and augmented video, person-to-machine and machine-to-machine communications. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Luis Lopez, CEO of Kurento, will introduce the technologies required for implementing these ideas and some early experiments performed in the Kurento open source software community in areas ...
Oct. 7, 2015 09:30 AM EDT Reads: 639