|By Business Wire||
|February 28, 2013 12:00 PM EST||
The Rocky Mountain Venture Capital Association and KPMG LLP are proud to name the 22 early stage and growth companies presenting at the 30th Venture Capital in the Rockies Winter conference (VCIR Winter 2013). This year’s companies embody the diverse innovation taking place in the Rocky Mountain region, with an emphasis on mobile and cloud computing technologies.
The VCIR Winter 2013 conference will be held at the Park Hyatt in Beaver Creek, Colorado, March 5-7, 2013, showcasing companies from Arizona, Colorado and Utah.
“We are excited to be celebrating the 30th year of the VCIR Winter conference,” said Michael Bearup, office managing partner, KPMG LLP and conference co-chairman. “The conference continues to be the single most important event in the region to connect innovative companies with experienced investors and service providers.”
Colorado Governor John Hickenlooper will issue this year’s opening address. As an entrepreneur himself, Hickenlooper will share his vision of making Colorado relentlessly pro-business. In addition, Jeremy Bloom, co-founder of Integrate, an advertising technology and services provider, will give the keynote address.
“The selected companies represent the best and brightest in the Rocky Mountain region,” said Chris Marks, conference co-chairman and partner of High Country Venture, a Boulder-based venture capital firm. “As we enter a new era of mobile and cloud computing, these promising companies are at the forefront of innovation and leadership.”
- BlogFrog works with brand marketers, agencies and publishing partners to harness the power of social influencers through content-driven campaigns that are meaningful and useful for consumers. Its Influencer Marketing platform manages all aspects of high-impact social marketing campaigns, helping brand marketers identify and activate influencers, distribute content across all social networks, and measure campaign performance.
- BlogMutt is a blog writing service that provides small businesses with relevant, quality blog posts each week from a crowd of hundreds of qualified US writers.
- BusyLife Software is mobile commerce. BusyLife offers comprehensive mobile software products such as QwikCart™, an integrated to point-of-sale solution. QwikCart™ provides merchants with branded, mobile commerce solutions that enable their consumers to purchase goods and services from anywhere at any time for pickup, delivery or shipping.
- CipherPoint secures sensitive and regulated content in web-based application environments including premise-based collaboration platforms such as Microsoft SharePoint, cloud, and other web-based applications. CipherPoint's transparent data encryption technology secures content and data from the web tier, affording the highest level of threat protection to sensitive and regulated content.
- Cloud Elements provides pre-built integrations into leading cloud services that help app developers eliminate weeks to months of development time by automating the selection, provisioning, monitoring and maintenance of connections into cloud platforms. "Elements" include custom API integrations with: payments, subscription billing, single sign on, messaging, social media, analytics, and customer service & management applications.
- ContactPoint offers LogMyCalls, a SaaS marketing analytics and automation for the phone. LogMyCalls pulls data from every customer interaction to score leads, manage marketing ROI, provide real-time marketing data and even automate instant CRM actions.
- GeoStrut is the world’s only manufacturer and distributor of lattice structure carbon fiber towers. Using GeoStrut technology allows telecommunication towers, masts and poles to weigh merely ten percent the weight of similar towers made from steel.
- Giiidget is compressing the way the world communicates.
- Laconic Security was founded to address the vacuum in the cloud data security space with innovative and responsible solutions. Its premier product, Laconic Vaults, delivers absolute data privacy to help organizations maximize the potential of cloud storage savings.
- Lagrange Systems has designed a uniquely patented and decentralized approach to cloud-based application delivery that allows for easily combining multiple cloud vendors into a single platform, thus providing higher availability than any single provider can achieve.
- Mobile Pulse provides a SaaS-based solution that enterprises and governments use to measure, compare, and diagnose mobile broadband performance. Mobile Pulse customers are using the service to evaluate carrier and device choices while also using the data and reports to negotiate better rates with their providers and hold them accountable to specific performance criteria.
- OpDemand makes it easy to deploy, monitor and maintain Amazon Web Services and Heroku, helping companies spend less time on operations and more time building their business.
- PaySimple is a cloud-based, SaaS platform for managing and growing small businesses. Available direct to small business and through its large-scale partnership distribution, thousands of businesses are using PaySimple’s turnkey technology to automate billing, accept electronic payments, improve cash flow, manage customers, view real-time business performance, and operate anywhere on its mobile platforms.
- PlayerLync has created a tablet-based platform for secure enterprise communication. The platform provides a more efficient and secure method of distributing large video files, secure documents, or integrated messaging to tablets with an extremely intuitive yet powerful set of end user and administrative tools.
- Prediculous will become the leading provider of casual social sports games. While current sports games are built for the few, die hard fans, the company is building social sports games for all fans.
- RoundPegg allows companies to manage culture from the cloud. Its culture platform features socially-enabled Web-apps that allow companies to measure, manage and monitor their unique culture by pulling levers to hire, develop and engage employees in alignment with the desired culture.
- Roximity delivers relevant offers and alerts based on a users location and preferences.
- Serious Integrated enables original equipment manufacturers to add modern graphic/touch front panels to their products. The company's proprietary software-on-hardware is complemented by breakthrough user interface design tools, delivering a modern look and feel in remarkably short time and minimal custom engineering.
- Surefire Medical develops innovative infusion systems for the interventional oncology market that are designed to precisely deliver therapy through a unique microcatheter with an expandable tip that collapses in forward flow and dynamically expands to the vessel wall in reverse flow. A growing body of clinical evidence indicates that Surefire Medical's infusion and specialty catheter systems increase embolization efficiency, minimize reflux and reduce damage to healthy tissue.
- Threadlife makes shooting video as easy as taking photos and creates movies that are ready to watch, and ready to share. Threadlife encourages the creation of and collaboration on endless, ever-evolving stories.
- TruEffect provides a software as a service advertising technology suite to advertisers and agencies to deliver, measure, manage and target their Internet media activities: ad serving, data management and analytics. TruEffect uses a First-Party customer data approach that enables advertisers to improve targeting the right ad to the right person, more accurately measure advertising effectiveness, and reduce waste in the media buying process all to increase return on ad spend for their customers.
Venture Capital in the Rockies (VCIR) is the region’s oldest and best-attended venture capital conference and will hold its 30th annual VCIR Winter edition in Beaver Creek, Colorado in 2013. Along with the annual VCIR Fall conference, the two VCIR conferences encompass the premier venture investing conferences in the Rocky Mountain region and among the most respected venture conferences in the country. Creating a dynamic marketplace for ideas and investment, each year both editions of VCIR invite 35 to 40 companies seeking investment to present to panels of venture investors, as well as an audience of other entrepreneurs, CEOs and professionals servicing the venture community. More information can be found at www.vcirwinter.com or www.vcirfall.com.
We heard for many years how developing nations would be able to develop mobile-phone networks quickly, perhaps even leapfrog developed nations, because their lack of traditional, wired networks would not inhibit them from deploying the new technology. Now there is talk of history repeating itself with the Industrial Internet--a key aspect of the emerging Internet of Things. For example, Guo Ping, Deputy Chairman of the Board of Chinese electronics giant Huawei, said in a recent report from the World Economic Forum, "The Industrial Internet will afford emerging markets a unique opportunity ...
May. 5, 2015 11:00 PM EDT Reads: 728
Avnet, Inc. has announced that it ranked No. 4 on the InformationWeek Elite 100 – a list of the top business technology innovators in the U.S. Avnet was recognized for the development of an innovative cloud-based training system that serves as the foundation for Avnet Academy – the company’s education and training organization focused on technical training around top IT vendor technologies. The development of this system allowed Avnet to quickly expand its IT-related training capabilities around the world, while creating a new service that Avnet and its IT solution providers can offer to their...
May. 5, 2015 04:15 PM EDT Reads: 939
Ayla Networks, whose agile Internet of Things (IoT) platform makes it easy for manufacturers to deliver secure, connected products, today announced it has been included in the list of "Cool Vendors" in the Internet of Things report by Gartner, Inc. “Gartner knows how important it is that manufacturers of all kinds of products have the right IoT solution to help turn their products into connected ‘things,’” said David Friedman, CEO and co-founder of Ayla Networks. “The market for Ayla’s IoT platform has accelerated dramatically this year compared to last year. Today’s largest manufacturers ar...
May. 5, 2015 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 508
SYS-CON Events announced today that B2Cloud, a provider of enterprise resource planning software, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. B2cloud develops the software you need. They have the ideal tools to help you work with your clients. B2Cloud’s main solutions include AGIS – ERP, CLOHC, AGIS – Invoice, and IZUM
May. 5, 2015 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 4,490
The Internet of Things Maturity Model (IoTMM) is a qualitative method to gauge the growth and increasing impact of IoT capabilities in an IT environment from both a business and technology perspective. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Tony Shan will first scan the IoT landscape and investigate the major challenges and barriers. The key areas of consideration are identified to get started with IoT journey. He will then pinpoint the need of a tool for effective IoT adoption and implementation, which leads to IoTMM in which five maturity levels are defined: Advanced, Dynamic, Optimized, Primitive,...
May. 5, 2015 11:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,167
SYS-CON Events announced today that MangoApps will exhibit at SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY., and the 17th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 3–5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. MangoApps provides private all-in-one social intranets allowing workers to securely collaborate from anywhere in the world and from any device. Social, mobile, and easy to use. MangoApps has been named a "Market Leader" by Ovum Research and a "Cool Vendor" by Gartner...
May. 5, 2015 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 4,406
The world's leading Cloud event, Cloud Expo has launched Microservices Journal on the SYS-CON.com portal, featuring over 19,000 original articles, news stories, features, and blog entries. DevOps Journal is focused on this critical enterprise IT topic in the world of cloud computing. Microservices Journal offers top articles, news stories, and blog posts from the world's well-known experts and guarantees better exposure for its authors than any other publication. Follow new article posts on Twitter at @MicroservicesE
May. 5, 2015 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,946
Containers and microservices have become topics of intense interest throughout the cloud developer and enterprise IT communities. Accordingly, attendees at the upcoming 16th Cloud Expo at the Javits Center in New York June 9-11 will find fresh new content in a new track called PaaS | Containers & Microservices Containers are not being considered for the first time by the cloud community, but a current era of re-consideration has pushed them to the top of the cloud agenda. With the launch of Docker's initial release in March of 2013, interest was revved up several notches. Then late last...
May. 5, 2015 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 3,934
There is no doubt that Big Data is here and getting bigger every day. Building a Big Data infrastructure today is no easy task. There are an enormous number of choices for database engines and technologies. To make things even more challenging, requirements are getting more sophisticated, and the standard paradigm of supporting historical analytics queries is often just one facet of what is needed. As Big Data growth continues, organizations are demanding real-time access to data, allowing immediate and actionable interpretation of events as they happen. Another aspect concerns how to deliver ...
May. 5, 2015 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 5,809
So I guess we’ve officially entered a new era of lean and mean. I say this with the announcement of Ubuntu Snappy Core, “designed for lightweight cloud container hosts running Docker and for smart devices,” according to Canonical. “Snappy Ubuntu Core is the smallest Ubuntu available, designed for security and efficiency in devices or on the cloud.” This first version of Snappy Ubuntu Core features secure app containment and Docker 1.6 (1.5 in main release), is available on public clouds, and for ARM and x86 devices on several IoT boards. It’s a Trend! This announcement comes just as...
May. 5, 2015 10:45 AM EDT Reads: 2,255
WebRTC defines no default signaling protocol, causing fragmentation between WebRTC silos. SIP and XMPP provide possibilities, but come with considerable complexity and are not designed for use in a web environment. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Matthew Hodgson, technical co-founder of the Matrix.org, discussed how Matrix is a new non-profit Open Source Project that defines both a new HTTP-based standard for VoIP & IM signaling and provides reference implementations.
May. 5, 2015 10:45 AM EDT Reads: 4,420
The security devil is always in the details of the attack: the ones you've endured, the ones you prepare yourself to fend off, and the ones that, you fear, will catch you completely unaware and defenseless. The Internet of Things (IoT) is nothing if not an endless proliferation of details. It's the vision of a world in which continuous Internet connectivity and addressability is embedded into a growing range of human artifacts, into the natural world, and even into our smartphones, appliances, and physical persons. In the IoT vision, every new "thing" - sensor, actuator, data source, data con...
May. 5, 2015 10:30 AM EDT Reads: 5,440
The WebRTC Summit 2015 New York, to be held June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York, NY, announces that its Call for Papers is open. Topics include all aspects of improving IT delivery by eliminating waste through automated business models leveraging cloud technologies. WebRTC Summit is co-located with 16th International Cloud Expo, @ThingsExpo, Big Data Expo, and DevOps Summit.
May. 5, 2015 10:15 AM EDT Reads: 3,184
The Internet of Things is not new. Historically, smart businesses have used its basic concept of leveraging data to drive better decision making and have capitalized on those insights to realize additional revenue opportunities. So, what has changed to make the Internet of Things one of the hottest topics in tech? In his session at @ThingsExpo, Chris Gray, Director, Embedded and Internet of Things, discussed the underlying factors that are driving the economics of intelligent systems. Discover how hardware commoditization, the ubiquitous nature of connectivity, and the emergence of Big Data a...
May. 5, 2015 10:00 AM EDT Reads: 5,597
SYS-CON Events announced today the IoT Bootcamp – Jumpstart Your IoT Strategy, being held June 9–10, 2015, in conjunction with 16th Cloud Expo and Internet of @ThingsExpo at the Javits Center in New York City. This is your chance to jumpstart your IoT strategy. Combined with real-world scenarios and use cases, the IoT Bootcamp is not just based on presentations but includes hands-on demos and walkthroughs. We will introduce you to a variety of Do-It-Yourself IoT platforms including Arduino, Raspberry Pi, BeagleBone, Spark and Intel Edison. You will also get an overview of cloud technologies s...
May. 5, 2015 10:00 AM EDT Reads: 3,957
SYS-CON Media announced today that @WebRTCSummit Blog, the largest WebRTC resource in the world, has been launched. @WebRTCSummit Blog offers top articles, news stories, and blog posts from the world's well-known experts and guarantees better exposure for its authors than any other publication. @WebRTCSummit Blog can be bookmarked ▸ Here @WebRTCSummit conference site can be bookmarked ▸ Here
May. 5, 2015 09:45 AM EDT Reads: 3,463
Scott Jenson leads a project called The Physical Web within the Chrome team at Google. Project members are working to take the scalability and openness of the web and use it to talk to the exponentially exploding range of smart devices. Nearly every company today working on the IoT comes up with the same basic solution: use my server and you'll be fine. But if we really believe there will be trillions of these devices, that just can't scale. We need a system that is open a scalable and by using the URL as a basic building block, we open this up and get the same resilience that the web enjoys.
May. 5, 2015 09:45 AM EDT Reads: 5,968
In his session at WebRTC Summit, Peter Dunkley, Technical Director at Acision, will look at creating interactive communications via the web by adding messaging, file transfer, and group communication (group chat and audio/video conferencing) into the web experience. He will also discuss potential applications of this technology in areas including B2B, B2C, P2P, and gaming. Peter Dunkley is Technical Director at Acision. He graduated from The University of Edinburgh in 2000 with a BSc (Hons) in Computer Science. After graduation Peter worked on a PSTN switch developing signalling stacks for SS...
May. 5, 2015 09:39 AM EDT Reads: 538
It's time to put the "Thing" back in IoT. Whether it’s drones, robots, self-driving cars, ... There are multiple incredible examples of the power of IoT nowadays that are shadowed by announcements of yet another twist on statistics, databases, .... Sorry, I meant, Big Data(TM), tiered storage(TM), complex systems(TM), smart nations(TM), .... In his session at WebRTC Summit, Dr Alex Gouaillard, CTO and Co-Founder of Temasys, will discuss the concrete, cool, examples of IoT already happening today, and how mixing all those different sources of visual and audio input can make your life happier ...
May. 5, 2015 09:15 AM EDT Reads: 660
What exactly is a cognitive application? In her session at 16th Cloud Expo, Ashley Hathaway, Product Manager at IBM Watson, will look at the services being offered by the IBM Watson Developer Cloud and what that means for developers and Big Data. She'll explore how IBM Watson and its partnerships will continue to grow and help define what it means to be a cognitive service, as well as take a look at the offerings on Bluemix. She will also check out how Watson and the Alchemy API team up to offer disruptive APIs to developers.
May. 5, 2015 09:15 AM EDT Reads: 2,247