|By PR Newswire||
|February 25, 2013 03:19 AM EST||
BARCELONA, Spain, February 25, 2013 /PRNewswire/ --
- Xperia Tablet Z is latest addition to premium family of products
- Acclaimed flagship smartphone Xperia Z out now worldwide
At Mobile World Congress, Sony Mobile Communications ("Sony Mobile") today announced that Xperia Tablet Z - the slimmest* and lightest** 10.1" water resistant tablet available - will launch globally in Q2 calendar 2013. Additionally, Sony's flagship smartphone, Xperia Z will roll out in stores worldwide from today.
Since it was announced in January, Xperia Z has won 13 awards and received the widest ranging of any Sony smartphone to date with 140 sales channels in 60 markets across the globe. Both products combine premium specifications with the best of Sony technology, entertainment, design and connectivity.
Premium Tablet Design
Xperia Tablet Z is the most premium, high performance 10.1" Android tablet available. Built from quality materials and featuring the same stunning OmniBalance design as its smartphone sibling, Xperia Tablet Z is also incredibly slim and lightweight at 6.9mm and 495g. Available in black or white and in LTE and WiFi versions, it is the first tablet to run on Qualcomm® Snapdragon™ S4 Pro asynchronous quad core processor and has the highest levels of water resistance (IP55 & IP57) ever delivered in a tablet, making it immune to accidental spills and splashes.***
"Xperia Tablet Z sets new standards in entertainment by matching premium specifications and Sony technology with cross-device connectivity and a consistent user-experience," said Kaz Tajima, Corporate Vice President, Head of UX Creative Design and Planning, at Sony Mobile Communications. "Xperia Tablet Z reinforces our intention to be a leading player in the premium Android device market, by building on the principles established by Xperia Z and perfectly optimising them for the tablet form factor."
Integrated Sony Technology
Xperia Tablet Z includes the very best of Sony technology. With a 10.1" HD WUXGA Display, powered by Mobile BRAVIA Engine 2, it delivers enhanced colour reproduction for a brilliant TV-like viewing experience. It also draws upon Sony's camera expertise with an 8MP rear camera featuring "Exmor R for mobile" as well as a 2MP HD front-facing camera for capturing the best images in any condition. Sony's S-Force Front Surround 3D, guarantees soul-shaking audio performance alongside Sony's Clear Audio+ mode and the innovative use of two in-built speakers with four 'speaker halls' on the left and right corners delivers amazing sound no matter how it is held. Xperia Tablet Z also includes Battery STAMINA mode, Sony's unique battery management technology that can significantly improve standby time. The WiFi variant also offers up to 64GB of storage with an optional mircoSD card.
Seamless One-touch Connectivity
Xperia Tablet Z includes more connectivity options than any other tablet. It also includes Sony's One-Touch functions that let users transfer content seamlessly from HD tablet to TV, tablet to speaker or phone to tablet just by touching them together. One-touch functions are a key component of Sony's device range this year and no other consumer electronics company is bringing as many NFC-enabled products to market. The tablet's Universal IR Remote allows users to control the TV and other Sony devices - as well as products from other manufacturers - directly from the tablet placing the device at the heart of the home. TV SideView is a new application that gives users an entirely new way to interact with the TV.****
Sony's media applications
Sony's signature media applications - "WALKMAN", Movies and Album - allow users to enjoy, control and view content regardless of their device. The Sony Entertainment Network can also be accessed from these applications and includes Music Unlimited with more than 18 million songs and Facebook social integration as well as Video Unlimited with access to over 100,000 movies and TV series.*****
Xperia Tablet Z Accessories
Xperia Tablet Z will launch with a number of accessories including a charging cradle, an LCD Screen Protector and Leather Carrying Cover that comes in Black, White or Red. These will be available from Sony stores or registered retailers.
Xperia Tablet Z will launch on Android 4.1 (Jelly Bean) and is upgradable to 4.2 after launch for the latest Android user experience.
Key features for Xperia Tablet Z
- 10.1" HD 1920x1200p WUXGA Display with Mobile BRAVIA Engine 2
- S-Force Front Surround 3D
- The world's slimmest* design at 6.9 mm and lightest** at 495g for 10.1" water resistant tablet
- Dust and water resistant (IP55 & IP57) with a durable glass front display
- Snapdragon S4 Pro processor with 1.5GHz asynchronous quad CPUs and 2GB RAM
- One-touch connectivity with Near Field Communication (NFC)
- A unique OmniBalance design with subtly rounded edges and smooth reflective surfaces
- 8 MP rear camera featuring "Exmor R for mobile" and Superior Auto plus 2MP HD front camera
- Battery STAMINA mode further improves the standby time.
* Verified in 10" tablet class at time of announcement.
** Verified in 10" tablet class with water resistance at the time of announcement.
*** In compliance with IP55 and IP57, Xperia Z is protected against the ingress of dust and is water resistant. Provided that all ports and covers are firmly closed, the phone is (i) protected against low pressure jets of water from all practicable directions in compliance with IP55; and/or (ii) can be kept under 1 meter of freshwater for up to 30 minutes in compliance with IP57.
**** TV SideView - can be downloaded from Google Play - service depends on country availability
***** Sony Entertainment Network services are subject to availability by region, please see http://www.sonyentertainmentnetwork.com for more details.
About Sony Mobile Communications
Sony Mobile Communications is a subsidiary of Tokyo-based Sony Corporation, a leading global innovator of audio, video, game, communications, key device and information technology products for both the consumer and professional markets. With its music, pictures, computer entertainment and online businesses, Sony is uniquely positioned to be the leading electronics and entertainment company in the world. Through its Xperia™ smartphone portfolio, Sony Mobile Communications delivers the best of Sony technology, premium content and services, and easy connectivity to Sony's world of networked entertainment experiences. For more information: http://www.sonymobile.com
1) Facts and features may vary depending on local variant. 2) Operational times are affected by network preferences, type of SIM card, connected accessories and various activities e.g. playing games. Kit contents and colour options may differ from market to market. The full range of accessories may not be available in every market. 3) Icons displayed are for illustrative purposes only. The homescreen may appear different in your product. Some features may not be available in your country or area.
Sony, make.believe, WALKMAN, WALKMAN W logo, Sony Entertainment Network, PlayMemories Online, Exmor RS, Clear phase, BRAVIA, and xLoud are trademarks or registered trademarks of Sony Corporation. Xperia, Xperia Z, Xperia ZL PlayNow, SensMe, and TrackID are trademarks or registered trademarks of Sony Mobile Communications AB. PlayStation is a trademark or registered trademark of Sony Computer Entertainment. Media Go is a trademark of Sony Electronics. Android, Google Play, Google Chrome, Google Voice, Latitude, YouTube, Google Maps and Google Mail are trademarks of Google Inc. Snapdragon is a trademark of Qualcomm Incorporated. Twitter is a trademark or registered trademark of Twitter, Inc. Facebook is a trademark or registered trademark of Facebook, Inc. Microsoft ActiveSync is a trademark or registered trademark of Microsoft, Inc. Bluetooth is a trademark or registered trademark, and any use of such mark is under license by Sony Mobile. Neoreader is a trademark or registered trademark of NeoMedia Technologies Inc. microSD is a trademark or registered trademark of SanDisk Corporation. eCompass is a trademark or registered trademark of Genoptix, Inc. Wi-Fi is a registered trademark of the Wi-Fi Alliance. DLNA Certified is a trademark or registered trademark of the Digital Living Network Alliance. SyncML is a trademark or registered trademark of the Open Mobile Alliance. Skype is a trademark or registered trademark of Skype, Ltd. LTE is a trademark or a registered trademark of ETSI. Other product and company names mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners. Any rights not expressly granted herein are reserved. All terms are subject to change without prior notice.
Additional information regarding trademarks may be located on our website at: http://www.sonymobile.com/global-en/legal/trademarks-and-copyright/.
FOR MEDIA INFORMATION PLEASE CONTACT:
For more information, images and videos please visit: http://www.sonymobile.com/press
Sony Mobile Communications, Global Communications & PR department
General Press: +44-208-762-5858
- The Odd Couple: Marrying Agile and Waterfall
- Fanning the Flames of Agile
- Internet of @ThingsExpo Silicon Valley Call for Papers Now Open
- April and May 2014 Server and StorageIO Update newsletter
- MangoApps to Exhibit at Cloud Expo New York
- WSO2 Introduces Industry’s First Enterprise Identity Bus With the Launch of WSO2 Identity Server 5.0
- Practical WebRTC: From API to Solution
- Last Chance to Register for LTE World Summit
- The Butterfly Effect Within IT
- The Business Challenges Impacting Digital Transformation
- Stay Current on the Internet of Things
- Setting the Bar for Agile Architecture
- How to Get the Best From Virtual Employees
- Global Financial Firms Can Effectively Address Technology Risk Guidelines
- .CLUB Domain Name Extension Now Available for General Registration
- MapR Technologies Announces Upcoming June Conferences
- More Mainstream Businesses Depend on Open Source
- AMAG, HP, ImageWare Systems, March Networks and StrikeForce Discuss Security Solutions in SecuritySolutionsWatch.com Interviews
- F5 to Present at Upcoming Technology and Investor Conferences
- The Odd Couple: Marrying Agile and Waterfall
- Flexera Software’s InstallShield 2014 Release Introduces New Support of Cloud and Virtualised Installations, High-DPI Displays and Touch Devices, and Agile Development
- FlexNet Manager Suite Wins CODiE Award for Best Asset Management Solution - 4th CODiE Award for Flexera Software
- Fanning the Flames of Agile
- WSO2 Guest Speakers at WSO2Con Europe 2014 Will Examine Technology Developments and Best Practices Enabling the Connected Business
- The Top 150 Players in Cloud Computing
- Who Are The All-Time Heroes of i-Technology?
- Where Are RIA Technologies Headed in 2008?
- Success, Arrogance, Rise and Fall
- AJAX World RIA Conference & Expo Kicks Off in New York City
- The Top 250 Players in the Cloud Computing Ecosystem
- Personal Branding Checklist
- i-Technology Viewpoint: Attack of the Blogs
- Exclusive Q&A with Jeff Haynie, Co-Founder & CEO, Appcelerator
- Cloud People: A Who's Who of Cloud Computing
- Ulitzer Names the World's 30 Most Influential Cloud Computing Bloggers
- Web 2.0 News and Wrapping Up "Real-World AJAX" Seminar