|By PR Newswire||
|February 20, 2013 08:01 PM EST||
STOCKHOLM, Sweden, February 21, 2013 /PRNewswire/ --
Innovative approach will be demonstrated at the Telenor Connexion stand 32C in the Connected City
Digital Route AB, a leading provider of mediation and data integration solutions for the communications industry has announced that, with Procera Networks, Inc. (NASDAQ: PKT), the global intelligent policy enforcement company, it is powering an exciting new machine-to-machine showcase for Telenor Connexion, a leading enabler of connected services. The innovative approach will be showcased in "The evolution of a connected service" demo at Mobile World Congress, February 25-28 in Barcelona, Spain.
The demonstration illustrates the processing requirements demanded to support the evolution of machine-to-machine services from simple telematics to today's growing range of more complex offerings such as infotainment. If this trend is to become profitable for the Service Provider and the manufacturer, the need to differentiate traffic is critical. An example is segmenting traffic that would be paid for by the content provider versus that purchased and paid for by the end user.
DigitalRoute and Procera's solution demonstrates the necessary traffic monitoring capabilities including counting and control. It segments traffic, deploys counters to monitor usage and then activates controls when allowances are exceeded. These are important functions for Telenor Connexion to enable more flexible business models.
The showcase is particularly relevant and timely because it demonstrates the transformation of machine-to-machine services beyond simple device metering and towards monetizing any type of activity between connected devices on any data network. The demo Telenor Connexion will showcase in Barcelona is an example of this.
Here, data content derives from both telematics (in this case, the car's engine diagnostic systems) and also to apps that are used by the car's infotainment system. An example of the latter is the use of Spotify, TuneIn Radio and e-books, which allow the driver of the car to access entertainment without having to manually manage over-the-air radio broadcasts, CDs, and other "hard" devices that require greater physical interaction while driving.
For auto manufacturers and dealers, "connected cars" present a growing commercial market opportunity but to capitalize on it, they need to ensure they build relationships with M2M connectivity providers who offer the necessary traffic segmentation. This is why, for both Telenor Connexion and other operators, the showcase is so compelling. It allows some data consumption to be charged in a B2B mode to partners and other consumption in a B2C mode to the end-use of the content but in all cases meets the manufacturer's requirements. Other content services still might be classified as sponsored content, for instance data volumes based on a Spotify offer.
Three technology components are central to the showcase. First, the in-car connected device and its resident apps. These include a data volume display of real time, updated usage information.
Second, DigitalRoute's MediationZone Policy Control and Usage Management solution, which manages integration between the in-car device data volume display and MediationZone as well as the integration between the MediationZone and the Procera nodes. The functionality showcased here demonstrates how MediationZone can manage consumed data volumes, thresholds and policy reactions to thresholds in real time. MediationZone exposes this data over an API for the in-car connected device to present usage and thresholds. It further enables the creation of split charging records, based on the usage volumes reported.
Thirdly, Procera's PacketLogic solution does reliable classification of data traffic, and generates detailed billing records. PacketLogic's ability to analyze usage patterns enables service providers to enhance the service and develop new offerings.
Said Robert Brunbäck, CMO, Telenor Connexion: We are in the market to help our customers become more competitive. Enabling new and more dynamic business models for connected services, for example in the car, is of vital importance in today's fast-changing marketplace. Together with DigitalRoute and Procera we showcase a concrete example of how new service offerings can be realized. "
Added Jan Karlsson, CEO, DigitalRoute, "the evolution of the machine-to-machine services opportunity from simple telematics to more complex offerings makes MediationZone a key component in the process of achieving profitability. We are delighted to enable Telenor Connexion's pilot, and believe that the car demo will be one of the highlights in Barcelona this year."
Jon Linden, Chief Strategy Officer, Procera Networks "Procera is very excited about the use case demonstrated by Telenor Connexion at Mobile World Congress. We believe in the prospect of M2M as a new business opportunity for service providers, and PacketLogic offers great value to these environments by providing intelligence about the network traffic, devices, location and more."
DigitalRoute and MediationZone are registered trademarks of Digital Route AB. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
Additional DigitalRoute information:
Follow DigitalRoute on Facebook
Follow DigitalRoute on Twitter
Follow DigitalRoute on LinkedIn
Join the conversation in our Mediation system professionals group on LinkedIn
For more information contact:
Keith Brody, Director of Global Marketing
Digital Route AB
Michaela Nylund, Marketing Manager
- Acquia Appoints Martyn Eley as General Manager of EMEA Operations
- WSO2 Carbon, WSO2 API Manager and WSO2 Governance Registry Increase Speed, Scalability and High Availability Through Hazelcast
- U.S. General Services Administration Moves Order Management System to IBM SmartCloud for Government
- The DevOps Way to Solve JVM Memory Issues
- Cisco Web Security Webinar: Ensure World Class Protection
- SDN: Uncovering Amazon's Secret Sauce
- Mobilizing Business Data: The Holy Grail of Enterprise Mobility
- What Doesn't Kill You Makes You...Smarter
- On-Premise or Cloud ERP - Which Is Right for Your Business?
- Ten Questions to Avoid a Classical Business War Room Scenario
- What Business Leaders Want from IT Monitoring
- The Final IT Evolution – Cloud
- WebRTC Summit at Cloud Expo Agenda Announced
- OneLogin Raises $13M to Power Expansion
- Gartner Hype Cycle 2012 – Emerging Technologies
- Five Technology Trends That Require Scrutiny
- Nine Stunning 3D Printed Objects
- User Accounts Are Only the Tip of the Iceberg
- The Zacks Analyst Blog Highlights: Ford Motor, Microsoft, Volkswagen, General Motors, Autodesk, Apple, Google and Adobe Systems
- Fathers of Clouds – A Tribute
- Acquia Appoints Martyn Eley as General Manager of EMEA Operations
- Open Server Summit Reports Doubling of Registration
- Drupal 8: A View into Performance
- The Top 150 Players in Cloud Computing
- Who Are The All-Time Heroes of i-Technology?
- Where Are RIA Technologies Headed in 2008?
- Success, Arrogance, Rise and Fall
- AJAX World RIA Conference & Expo Kicks Off in New York City
- The Top 250 Players in the Cloud Computing Ecosystem
- Personal Branding Checklist
- i-Technology Viewpoint: Attack of the Blogs
- Exclusive Q&A with Jeff Haynie, Co-Founder & CEO, Appcelerator
- Web 2.0 News and Wrapping Up "Real-World AJAX" Seminar
- Passing Parameters to Flex That Works
- Cloud People: A Who's Who of Cloud Computing