|By Jeremy Geelan||
|February 14, 2013 09:00 AM EST||
This year, Eucalyptus Professional Services is going open. All the way open," blogged Jason Eden, Senior Director of Professional Services at Eucalyptus Systems, this week as the open source cloud company ushered in changes in the realm of Education, Consulting, and Certification.
"2013 will be the year of the Eucalyptus PS [Professional Services] Experiment, where we challenge conventional wisdom about the value and place of professional services in a software company like Eucalyptus," Eden continued.
Eucalyptus CEO Marten Mickos spoke at 9th Cloud Expo | Cloud Expo Silicon Valley
Basically, then, Eucalyptus is extending its open model into professional services. But what of the details?
Happily Eden then went on to itemize what the new approach means, from a practical standpoint:
- All courseware, including Cloud Foundations and the Design, Build, and Manage course, will be released under the same Creative Commons license as our online documentation, and will be available via the same repository in GitHub. This will include an unrestricted PDF copy of the course materials, as well as source file access to all supporting PowerPoint and book source files. The books are sourced using DITA/XML, so we will also generate them in additional formats (.rtf, maybe even .docx) so that interested community members can make edits and improvements and submit them back to the respective projects more easily. Look for future posts on how to get involved in this exciting open source education project.
- Any entity that wishes to use any of these materials to deliver courses in whole or in part using Eucalyptus software is welcome to do so. We will no longer run a formal authorized training partner program. If you would like to advertise that you offer Eucalyptus training using these materials, we will be happy to place a link on our Web site to help you advertise. We will suggest, but have no way to require, that any teacher attain a minimum Eucalyptus certification based on the content that they teach.
- Individuals who would like to go through the lab exercises in these materials will be given the ability to rent remote cloud-ready hardware or access to a pre-configured cloud at very reasonable rates. Look for another blog post on this topic in the next couple of days.Consulting
- The focus of PS Consulting will move away from intellectual property development and towards broad consulting partner and customer enablement. We will publish all generic materials associated with customer engagements (i.e., those that don't expose sensitive customer information) so that any customer or prospective consultant will be able to follow the same procedures Eucalyptus consultants follow in the field when delivering a Eucalyptus engagement.
- We will continue to maintain an authorized consulting partner program. The focus of this program will be on those partners who wish to be involved in large, complex cloud deployments that may require long-term arrangements, up to and including full-blown managed services.Certification
- We are removing the authorized course requirement prior to taking a Eucalyptus certification exam.
- We are taking the opportunity provided by our recent EUCA3 launch delay to refactor the test items for what is perhaps the craziest thing a certification vendor has ever done--we will be publishing 100% of all possible certification items and making them available to the general public as study tools prior to taking an exam. Crazy, you say? (No, wait, that was me...) Worthless paper certification, you say? We are confident our certification will become one of the most sought-after, highly-valued credentials in cloud computing, and that this move will actually *enhance* the value of the certification. Look for more information about this in a future blog post.
- The EUCA3 test will still be delivered remotely, over the Internet, and be open book with a copy of the appropriate Design, Build, and Manage course materials available during the exam. The only restriction will be that you will not be able to print up a copy of the actual exam questions and use them during the exam."
Eden concluded his blog as candidly as he began it. "There are some obvious apparent risks in these moves," he concedes. "How will we deal with the commoditization and potential cannibalization of our own PS business? How will we help mitigate customers having bad training or consulting experiences due to unqualified instructors or consultants? How will our certification be worth anything if all the questions are published ahead of time?"
"We have a detailed plan on each of these fronts, but we would love to hear your thoughts, concerns, and cheering as well. We're going open, and in a big way. That means there are no off-limits questions, so ask away!"
If you’re responsible for an application that depends on the data or functionality of various IoT endpoints – either sensors or devices – your brand reputation depends on the security, reliability, and compliance of its many integrated parts. If your application fails to deliver the expected business results, your customers and partners won't care if that failure stems from the code you developed or from a component that you integrated. What can you do to ensure that the endpoints work as expect...
Sep. 28, 2016 04:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,674
Fact is, enterprises have significant legacy voice infrastructure that’s costly to replace with pure IP solutions. How can we bring this analog infrastructure into our shiny new cloud applications? There are proven methods to bind both legacy voice applications and traditional PSTN audio into cloud-based applications and services at a carrier scale. Some of the most successful implementations leverage WebRTC, WebSockets, SIP and other open source technologies. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Da...
Sep. 28, 2016 04:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,633
Internet of @ThingsExpo, taking place November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, is co-located with the 19th International Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world and ThingsExpo Silicon Valley Call for Papers is now open.
Sep. 28, 2016 04:15 AM EDT Reads: 4,584
Cognitive Computing is becoming the foundation for a new generation of solutions that have the potential to transform business. Unlike traditional approaches to building solutions, a cognitive computing approach allows the data to help determine the way applications are designed. This contrasts with conventional software development that begins with defining logic based on the current way a business operates. In her session at 18th Cloud Expo, Judith S. Hurwitz, President and CEO of Hurwitz & ...
Sep. 28, 2016 03:30 AM EDT Reads: 3,110
SYS-CON Events announced today that ReadyTalk, a leading provider of online conferencing and webinar services, has been named Vendor Presentation Sponsor at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. ReadyTalk delivers audio and web conferencing services that inspire collaboration and enable the Future of Work for today’s increasingly digital and mobile workforce. By combining intuitive, innovative tec...
Sep. 28, 2016 03:15 AM EDT Reads: 2,978
There is growing need for data-driven applications and the need for digital platforms to build these apps. In his session at 19th Cloud Expo, Muddu Sudhakar, VP and GM of Security & IoT at Splunk, will cover different PaaS solutions and Big Data platforms that are available to build applications. In addition, AI and machine learning are creating new requirements that developers need in the building of next-gen apps. The next-generation digital platforms have some of the past platform needs a...
Sep. 28, 2016 03:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,828
Almost two-thirds of companies either have or soon will have IoT as the backbone of their business in 2016. However, IoT is far more complex than most firms expected. How can you not get trapped in the pitfalls? In his session at @ThingsExpo, Tony Shan, a renowned visionary and thought leader, will introduce a holistic method of IoTification, which is the process of IoTifying the existing technology and business models to adopt and leverage IoT. He will drill down to the components in this fra...
Sep. 28, 2016 03:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,777
SYS-CON Events announced today that Pulzze Systems will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Pulzze Systems, Inc. provides infrastructure products for the Internet of Things to enable any connected device and system to carry out matched operations without programming. For more information, visit http://www.pulzzesystems.com.
Sep. 28, 2016 02:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,882
I'm a lonely sensor. I spend all day telling the world how I'm feeling, but none of the other sensors seem to care. I want to be connected. I want to build relationships with other sensors to be more useful for my human. I want my human to understand that when my friends next door are too hot for a while, I'll soon be flaming. And when all my friends go outside without me, I may be left behind. Don't just log my data; use the relationship graph. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Ryan Boyd, Engi...
Sep. 28, 2016 02:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,338
The Transparent Cloud-computing Consortium (abbreviation: T-Cloud Consortium) will conduct research activities into changes in the computing model as a result of collaboration between "device" and "cloud" and the creation of new value and markets through organic data processing High speed and high quality networks, and dramatic improvements in computer processing capabilities, have greatly changed the nature of applications and made the storing and processing of data on the network commonplace.
Sep. 28, 2016 02:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,136
From wearable activity trackers to fantasy e-sports, data and technology are transforming the way athletes train for the game and fans engage with their teams. In his session at @ThingsExpo, will present key data findings from leading sports organizations San Francisco 49ers, Orlando Magic NBA team. By utilizing data analytics these sports orgs have recognized new revenue streams, doubled its fan base and streamlined costs at its stadiums. John Paul is the CEO and Founder of VenueNext. Prior ...
Sep. 28, 2016 01:45 AM EDT Reads: 3,038
In his general session at 18th Cloud Expo, Lee Atchison, Principal Cloud Architect and Advocate at New Relic, discussed cloud as a ‘better data center’ and how it adds new capacity (faster) and improves application availability (redundancy). The cloud is a ‘Dynamic Tool for Dynamic Apps’ and resource allocation is an integral part of your application architecture, so use only the resources you need and allocate /de-allocate resources on the fly.
Sep. 28, 2016 01:45 AM EDT Reads: 2,791
SYS-CON Events announced today that Numerex Corp, a leading provider of managed enterprise solutions enabling the Internet of Things (IoT), will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo | @ThingsExpo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Numerex Corp. (NASDAQ:NMRX) is a leading provider of managed enterprise solutions enabling the Internet of Things (IoT). The Company's solutions produce new revenue streams or create operating...
Sep. 28, 2016 01:30 AM EDT Reads: 2,033
WebRTC adoption has generated a wave of creative uses of communications and collaboration through websites, sales apps, customer care and business applications. As WebRTC has become more mainstream it has evolved to use cases beyond the original peer-to-peer case, which has led to a repeating requirement for interoperability with existing infrastructures. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Graham Holt, Executive Vice President of Daitan Group, will cover implementation examples that have enabled ea...
Sep. 28, 2016 01:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,564
IoT offers a value of almost $4 trillion to the manufacturing industry through platforms that can improve margins, optimize operations & drive high performance work teams. By using IoT technologies as a foundation, manufacturing customers are integrating worker safety with manufacturing systems, driving deep collaboration and utilizing analytics to exponentially increased per-unit margins. However, as Benoit Lheureux, the VP for Research at Gartner points out, “IoT project implementers often ...
Sep. 27, 2016 10:45 PM EDT Reads: 3,413
The Jevons Paradox suggests that when technological advances increase efficiency of a resource, it results in an overall increase in consumption. Writing on the increased use of coal as a result of technological improvements, 19th-century economist William Stanley Jevons found that these improvements led to the development of new ways to utilize coal. In his session at 19th Cloud Expo, Mark Thiele, Chief Strategy Officer for Apcera, will compare the Jevons Paradox to modern-day enterprise IT, e...
Sep. 27, 2016 10:30 PM EDT Reads: 2,201
Complete Internet of Things (IoT) embedded device security is not just about the device but involves the entire product’s identity, data and control integrity, and services traversing the cloud. A device can no longer be looked at as an island; it is a part of a system. In fact, given the cross-domain interactions enabled by IoT it could be a part of many systems. Also, depending on where the device is deployed, for example, in the office building versus a factory floor or oil field, security ha...
Sep. 27, 2016 09:30 PM EDT Reads: 504
SYS-CON Events announced today the Enterprise IoT Bootcamp, being held November 1-2, 2016, in conjunction with 19th Cloud Expo | @ThingsExpo at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Combined with real-world scenarios and use cases, the Enterprise IoT Bootcamp is not just based on presentations but with hands-on demos and detailed walkthroughs. We will introduce you to a variety of real world use cases prototyped using Arduino, Raspberry Pi, BeagleBone, Spark, and Intel Edison. Y...
Sep. 27, 2016 09:30 PM EDT Reads: 2,981
Is your aging software platform suffering from technical debt while the market changes and demands new solutions at a faster clip? It’s a bold move, but you might consider walking away from your core platform and starting fresh. ReadyTalk did exactly that. In his General Session at 19th Cloud Expo, Michael Chambliss, Head of Engineering at ReadyTalk, will discuss why and how ReadyTalk diverted from healthy revenue and over a decade of audio conferencing product development to start an innovati...
Sep. 27, 2016 08:30 PM EDT Reads: 2,050
Fifty billion connected devices and still no winning protocols standards. HTTP, WebSockets, MQTT, and CoAP seem to be leading in the IoT protocol race at the moment but many more protocols are getting introduced on a regular basis. Each protocol has its pros and cons depending on the nature of the communications. Does there really need to be only one protocol to rule them all? Of course not. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Chris Matthieu, co-founder and CTO of Octoblu, walk you through how Oct...
Sep. 27, 2016 08:15 PM EDT Reads: 2,246