|By Marketwired .||
|January 29, 2013 11:54 AM EST||
ADDIS ABABA, ETHIOPIA -- (Marketwire) -- 01/29/13 -- The Honourable Julian Fantino, Minister of International Cooperation, announced today that Canada will continue to provide support to help the people of Mali affected by conflict and instability. Canada is increasing its investment in Mali to help improve food security, reduce malnutrition, address emergency healthcare needs and provide other much-needed humanitarian assistance. The announcement was made during a high-level international meeting at the African Union Secretariat in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
"Canada has been a friend of the Malian people," said Minister Fantino. "Building on Canada's significant investments over the past year, Canada will continue its life-saving work in Mali through humanitarian and development assistance."
Canada, through the Canadian International Development Agency (CIDA), will help respond to the immediate humanitarian needs of persons affected by the crisis in Mali. This support will be disbursed to Canadian non-governmental partners, as well as to United Nations agencies, to provide emergency health care, maternal, newborn and nutrition services for children under five. Part of this funding will also deliver shelter, primary health care, water and sanitation to some 150,000 Malian refugees in Niger, Mauritania and Burkina Faso, and more than 235,000 internally-displaced people in Mali.
"Canadian investments have contributed to improving the quality of life of the most vulnerable Malians affected by the crisis, but we remain deeply concerned about the deteriorating situation and its effects on the stability of the Sahel region," concluded Minister Fantino. "The crisis can only be resolved through a collaborative approach between the various Malian, African, and international stakeholders, as well as through the return of a democratic government in Mali."
Situation in Mali
The humanitarian situation in Mali continues to be of concern. Humanitarian agencies report that the food and nutrition crisis has left 2 million Malians food-insecure, and that an estimated 383,000 have been displaced by the conflict, including more than 235,000 within Mali and some 150,000 who have sought refuge in Burkina Faso, Niger and Mauritania.
Canadian Funding for Mali
Canada is increasing its investment in Mali by $13 million to help improve food security, reduce malnutrition, address emergency healthcare and provide much-needed humanitarian assistance.
Humanitarian Assistance in Mali
- The United Nations World Food Programme (http://www.acdi-cida.gc.ca/acdi-cida/ACDI-CIDA.nsf/eng/NAD-1131453-QDQ ) will provide emergency food and nutrition assistance to 401,000 vulnerable people affected by the crisis who are living in the north and to 135,000 vulnerable people in the south, including displaced households, host families and 15,000 people severely affected by the 2012 drought who need assistance to recover from the impact of the food and nutrition crisis, as well as blanket and supplementary feeding provided to 141,900 children under five years of age, and pregnant and lactating women in Mali. ($3 million)
- The United Nations World Food Programme - Humanitarian Air Service (http://www.wfp.org/content/united-nations-humanitarian-air-service-unhas) will provide safe, efficient and cost-effective travel service for United Nations agencies, non-governmental organizations and donor organizations providing humanitarian assistance in Mali, as well as light cargo such as medical supplies, high-energy foods, and information and communications technology equipment. ($500,000)
- Handicap International (http://en.handicap-international.ca/index.php) will provide emergency maternal and newborn healthcare for 30,000 conflict-affected women, and emergency medical supplies and equipment to16 health districts. ($1 million)
- Medecins du Monde (http://medecinsdumonde.ca/) will provide emergency healthcare to as many as 203,000 people in Gao and Kidal, two regions affected by conflict, and treatment of acute malnutrition for 28,000 children and 7,400 pregnant and lactating women. ($1.5 million)
- World Vision Canada (http://www.worldvision.ca/Pages/welcome.aspx) will help improve hygiene and sanitation practices in schools as a result of hygiene promotion campaigns, and improve access to clean water and sanitation in targeted health centres. ($1 million)
Humanitarian Assistance to Malians in neighbouring countries
- The United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (http://www.acdi-cida.gc.ca/acdi-cida/ACDI-CIDA.nsf/eng/NAD-321135143-NXV) will continue to provide protection and assistance to more than 150,000 Malian refugees in neighbouring Mauritania, Niger and Burkina Faso, and prepare for the possibility of up to 400,000 additional refugees in neighbouring countries and up to 300,000 additional internally displaced people inside Mali, should the security situation continue to deteriorate. ($1.5 million)
- The United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) (http://www.acdi-cida.gc.ca/acdi-cida/ACDI-CIDA.nsf/eng/NAD-1131453-QDQ) will provide emergency food and nutrition assistance to more than 150,000 Malian refugees currently in camps in Niger, Mauritania and Burkina Faso. This includes the provision of blanket and supplementary feeding for 27,000 children aged 6 to 59 months, and the treatment of moderate acute malnutrition for 3,250 children and close to 800 pregnant and lactating women. ($1.5 million)
- The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) (http://www.icrc.org/eng/) will provide food rations for 120,000 displaced people for up to three months, in addition to water to 32,500 conflict-affected people in northern Mali. They will also support nine health centres serving 23,000 people in Gao, northern Mali. ($2 million)
- CARE Canada (http://care.ca/) will ensure that the basic water, sanitation and hygiene needs of 50,000 vulnerable off-camp Malian refugees and host families in Niger are met through the provision of non-food items, hygiene promotion, clean drinking water and safe sanitation. The project will result in improved health and decreased risk of water-borne diseases for 50,000 people in a region affected by food insecurity and displacement, and improved resilience and food security for 2,000 vulnerable families. ($1 million)
Basho Technologies has announced the latest release of Basho Riak TS, version 1.3. Riak TS is an enterprise-grade NoSQL database optimized for Internet of Things (IoT). The open source version enables developers to download the software for free and use it in production as well as make contributions to the code and develop applications around Riak TS. Enhancements to Riak TS make it quick, easy and cost-effective to spin up an instance to test new ideas and build IoT applications. In addition to...
Jul. 31, 2016 12:45 AM EDT Reads: 2,041
Identity is in everything and customers are looking to their providers to ensure the security of their identities, transactions and data. With the increased reliance on cloud-based services, service providers must build security and trust into their offerings, adding value to customers and improving the user experience. Making identity, security and privacy easy for customers provides a unique advantage over the competition.
Jul. 30, 2016 11:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,336
CenturyLink has announced that application server solutions from GENBAND are now available as part of CenturyLink’s Networx contracts. The General Services Administration (GSA)’s Networx program includes the largest telecommunications contract vehicles ever awarded by the federal government. CenturyLink recently secured an extension through spring 2020 of its offerings available to federal government agencies via GSA’s Networx Universal and Enterprise contracts. GENBAND’s EXPERiUS™ Application...
Jul. 30, 2016 10:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,943
"We've discovered that after shows 80% if leads that people get, 80% of the conversations end up on the show floor, meaning people forget about it, people forget who they talk to, people forget that there are actual business opportunities to be had here so we try to help out and keep the conversations going," explained Jeff Mesnik, Founder and President of ContentMX, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 18th Cloud Expo, held June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY.
Jul. 30, 2016 09:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,497
I wanted to gather all of my Internet of Things (IOT) blogs into a single blog (that I could later use with my University of San Francisco (USF) Big Data “MBA” course). However as I started to pull these blogs together, I realized that my IOT discussion lacked a vision; it lacked an end point towards which an organization could drive their IOT envisioning, proof of value, app dev, data engineering and data science efforts. And I think that the IOT end point is really quite simple…
Jul. 30, 2016 07:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,318
Internet of @ThingsExpo, taking place November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, is co-located with the 19th International Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world and ThingsExpo Silicon Valley Call for Papers is now open.
Jul. 30, 2016 07:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,777
You think you know what’s in your data. But do you? Most organizations are now aware of the business intelligence represented by their data. Data science stands to take this to a level you never thought of – literally. The techniques of data science, when used with the capabilities of Big Data technologies, can make connections you had not yet imagined, helping you discover new insights and ask new questions of your data. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Sarbjit Sarkaria, data science team lead ...
Jul. 30, 2016 05:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,311
WebRTC is bringing significant change to the communications landscape that will bridge the worlds of web and telephony, making the Internet the new standard for communications. Cloud9 took the road less traveled and used WebRTC to create a downloadable enterprise-grade communications platform that is changing the communication dynamic in the financial sector. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Leo Papadopoulos, CTO of Cloud9, discussed the importance of WebRTC and how it enables companies to focus...
Jul. 30, 2016 04:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,128
"My role is working with customers, helping them go through this digital transformation. I spend a lot of time talking to banks, big industries, manufacturers working through how they are integrating and transforming their IT platforms and moving them forward," explained William Morrish, General Manager Product Sales at Interoute, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 18th Cloud Expo, held June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY.
Jul. 30, 2016 04:30 PM EDT Reads: 2,283
SYS-CON Events announced today that 910Telecom will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Housed in the classic Denver Gas & Electric Building, 910 15th St., 910Telecom is a carrier-neutral telecom hotel located in the heart of Denver. Adjacent to CenturyLink, AT&T, and Denver Main, 910Telecom offers connectivity to all major carriers, Internet service providers, Internet backbones and ...
Jul. 30, 2016 01:30 PM EDT Reads: 986
SYS-CON Events announced today that LeaseWeb USA, a cloud Infrastructure-as-a-Service (IaaS) provider, will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. LeaseWeb is one of the world's largest hosting brands. The company helps customers define, develop and deploy IT infrastructure tailored to their exact business needs, by combining various kinds cloud solutions.
Jul. 30, 2016 11:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,416
For basic one-to-one voice or video calling solutions, WebRTC has proven to be a very powerful technology. Although WebRTC’s core functionality is to provide secure, real-time p2p media streaming, leveraging native platform features and server-side components brings up new communication capabilities for web and native mobile applications, allowing for advanced multi-user use cases such as video broadcasting, conferencing, and media recording.
Jul. 30, 2016 10:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,129
SYS-CON Events announced today that Venafi, the Immune System for the Internet™ and the leading provider of Next Generation Trust Protection, will exhibit at @DevOpsSummit at 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Venafi is the Immune System for the Internet™ that protects the foundation of all cybersecurity – cryptographic keys and digital certificates – so they can’t be misused by bad guys in attacks...
Jul. 30, 2016 10:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,530
ReadyTalk has expanded the capabilities of the FoxDen collaboration platform announced late last year to include FoxDen Connect, an in-room video collaboration experience that launches with a single touch. With FoxDen Connect, users can now not only engage in HD video conferencing between iOS and Android mobile devices or Chrome browsers, but also set up in-person meeting rooms for video interactions. A host’s mobile device automatically recognizes the presence of a meeting room via beacon tech...
Jul. 30, 2016 10:00 AM EDT Reads: 564
The cloud market growth today is largely in public clouds. While there is a lot of spend in IT departments in virtualization, these aren’t yet translating into a true “cloud” experience within the enterprise. What is stopping the growth of the “private cloud” market? In his general session at 18th Cloud Expo, Nara Rajagopalan, CEO of Accelerite, explored the challenges in deploying, managing, and getting adoption for a private cloud within an enterprise. What are the key differences between wh...
Jul. 30, 2016 10:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,192
It’s 2016: buildings are smart, connected and the IoT is fundamentally altering how control and operating systems work and speak to each other. Platforms across the enterprise are networked via inexpensive sensors to collect massive amounts of data for analytics, information management, and insights that can be used to continuously improve operations. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Brian Chemel, Co-Founder and CTO of Digital Lumens, will explore: The benefits sensor-networked systems bring to ...
Jul. 30, 2016 09:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,667
On Dice.com, the number of job postings asking for skill in Amazon Web Services increased 76 percent between June 2015 and June 2016. Salesforce.com saw its own skill mentions increase 37 percent, while DevOps and Cloud rose 35 percent and 28 percent, respectively. Even as they expand their presence in the cloud, companies are also looking for tech professionals who can manage projects, crunch data, and figure out how to make systems run more autonomously. Mentions of ‘data science’ as a skill ...
Jul. 30, 2016 09:00 AM EDT Reads: 649
Manufacturers are embracing the Industrial Internet the same way consumers are leveraging Fitbits – to improve overall health and wellness. Both can provide consistent measurement, visibility, and suggest performance improvements customized to help reach goals. Fitbit users can view real-time data and make adjustments to increase their activity. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Mark Bernardo Professional Services Leader, Americas, at GE Digital, discussed how leveraging the Industrial Internet a...
Jul. 30, 2016 08:00 AM EDT Reads: 805
In addition to all the benefits, IoT is also bringing new kind of customer experience challenges - cars that unlock themselves, thermostats turning houses into saunas and baby video monitors broadcasting over the internet. This list can only increase because while IoT services should be intuitive and simple to use, the delivery ecosystem is a myriad of potential problems as IoT explodes complexity. So finding a performance issue is like finding the proverbial needle in the haystack.
Jul. 30, 2016 07:45 AM EDT Reads: 2,434
Amazon has gradually rolled out parts of its IoT offerings in the last year, but these are just the tip of the iceberg. In addition to optimizing their back-end AWS offerings, Amazon is laying the ground work to be a major force in IoT – especially in the connected home and office. Amazon is extending its reach by building on its dominant Cloud IoT platform, its Dash Button strategy, recently announced Replenishment Services, the Echo/Alexa voice recognition control platform, the 6-7 strategic...
Jul. 30, 2016 07:45 AM EDT Reads: 741