|By Marketwired .||
|January 29, 2013 11:54 AM EST||
ADDIS ABABA, ETHIOPIA -- (Marketwire) -- 01/29/13 -- The Honourable Julian Fantino, Minister of International Cooperation, announced today that Canada will continue to provide support to help the people of Mali affected by conflict and instability. Canada is increasing its investment in Mali to help improve food security, reduce malnutrition, address emergency healthcare needs and provide other much-needed humanitarian assistance. The announcement was made during a high-level international meeting at the African Union Secretariat in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
"Canada has been a friend of the Malian people," said Minister Fantino. "Building on Canada's significant investments over the past year, Canada will continue its life-saving work in Mali through humanitarian and development assistance."
Canada, through the Canadian International Development Agency (CIDA), will help respond to the immediate humanitarian needs of persons affected by the crisis in Mali. This support will be disbursed to Canadian non-governmental partners, as well as to United Nations agencies, to provide emergency health care, maternal, newborn and nutrition services for children under five. Part of this funding will also deliver shelter, primary health care, water and sanitation to some 150,000 Malian refugees in Niger, Mauritania and Burkina Faso, and more than 235,000 internally-displaced people in Mali.
"Canadian investments have contributed to improving the quality of life of the most vulnerable Malians affected by the crisis, but we remain deeply concerned about the deteriorating situation and its effects on the stability of the Sahel region," concluded Minister Fantino. "The crisis can only be resolved through a collaborative approach between the various Malian, African, and international stakeholders, as well as through the return of a democratic government in Mali."
Situation in Mali
The humanitarian situation in Mali continues to be of concern. Humanitarian agencies report that the food and nutrition crisis has left 2 million Malians food-insecure, and that an estimated 383,000 have been displaced by the conflict, including more than 235,000 within Mali and some 150,000 who have sought refuge in Burkina Faso, Niger and Mauritania.
Canadian Funding for Mali
Canada is increasing its investment in Mali by $13 million to help improve food security, reduce malnutrition, address emergency healthcare and provide much-needed humanitarian assistance.
Humanitarian Assistance in Mali
- The United Nations World Food Programme (http://www.acdi-cida.gc.ca/acdi-cida/ACDI-CIDA.nsf/eng/NAD-1131453-QDQ ) will provide emergency food and nutrition assistance to 401,000 vulnerable people affected by the crisis who are living in the north and to 135,000 vulnerable people in the south, including displaced households, host families and 15,000 people severely affected by the 2012 drought who need assistance to recover from the impact of the food and nutrition crisis, as well as blanket and supplementary feeding provided to 141,900 children under five years of age, and pregnant and lactating women in Mali. ($3 million)
- The United Nations World Food Programme - Humanitarian Air Service (http://www.wfp.org/content/united-nations-humanitarian-air-service-unhas) will provide safe, efficient and cost-effective travel service for United Nations agencies, non-governmental organizations and donor organizations providing humanitarian assistance in Mali, as well as light cargo such as medical supplies, high-energy foods, and information and communications technology equipment. ($500,000)
- Handicap International (http://en.handicap-international.ca/index.php) will provide emergency maternal and newborn healthcare for 30,000 conflict-affected women, and emergency medical supplies and equipment to16 health districts. ($1 million)
- Medecins du Monde (http://medecinsdumonde.ca/) will provide emergency healthcare to as many as 203,000 people in Gao and Kidal, two regions affected by conflict, and treatment of acute malnutrition for 28,000 children and 7,400 pregnant and lactating women. ($1.5 million)
- World Vision Canada (http://www.worldvision.ca/Pages/welcome.aspx) will help improve hygiene and sanitation practices in schools as a result of hygiene promotion campaigns, and improve access to clean water and sanitation in targeted health centres. ($1 million)
Humanitarian Assistance to Malians in neighbouring countries
- The United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (http://www.acdi-cida.gc.ca/acdi-cida/ACDI-CIDA.nsf/eng/NAD-321135143-NXV) will continue to provide protection and assistance to more than 150,000 Malian refugees in neighbouring Mauritania, Niger and Burkina Faso, and prepare for the possibility of up to 400,000 additional refugees in neighbouring countries and up to 300,000 additional internally displaced people inside Mali, should the security situation continue to deteriorate. ($1.5 million)
- The United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) (http://www.acdi-cida.gc.ca/acdi-cida/ACDI-CIDA.nsf/eng/NAD-1131453-QDQ) will provide emergency food and nutrition assistance to more than 150,000 Malian refugees currently in camps in Niger, Mauritania and Burkina Faso. This includes the provision of blanket and supplementary feeding for 27,000 children aged 6 to 59 months, and the treatment of moderate acute malnutrition for 3,250 children and close to 800 pregnant and lactating women. ($1.5 million)
- The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) (http://www.icrc.org/eng/) will provide food rations for 120,000 displaced people for up to three months, in addition to water to 32,500 conflict-affected people in northern Mali. They will also support nine health centres serving 23,000 people in Gao, northern Mali. ($2 million)
- CARE Canada (http://care.ca/) will ensure that the basic water, sanitation and hygiene needs of 50,000 vulnerable off-camp Malian refugees and host families in Niger are met through the provision of non-food items, hygiene promotion, clean drinking water and safe sanitation. The project will result in improved health and decreased risk of water-borne diseases for 50,000 people in a region affected by food insecurity and displacement, and improved resilience and food security for 2,000 vulnerable families. ($1 million)
SYS-CON Events announced today that HPM Networks will exhibit at the 17th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 3–5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. For 20 years, HPM Networks has been integrating technology solutions that solve complex business challenges. HPM Networks has designed solutions for both SMB and enterprise customers throughout the San Francisco Bay Area.
Aug. 3, 2015 06:45 PM EDT Reads: 556
For IoT to grow as quickly as analyst firms’ project, a lot is going to fall on developers to quickly bring applications to market. But the lack of a standard development platform threatens to slow growth and make application development more time consuming and costly, much like we’ve seen in the mobile space. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Mike Weiner, Product Manager of the Omega DevCloud with KORE Telematics Inc., discussed the evolving requirements for developers as IoT matures and conducted a live demonstration of how quickly application development can happen when the need to comply wit...
Aug. 2, 2015 11:15 AM EDT Reads: 374
The Internet of Everything (IoE) brings together people, process, data and things to make networked connections more relevant and valuable than ever before – transforming information into knowledge and knowledge into wisdom. IoE creates new capabilities, richer experiences, and unprecedented opportunities to improve business and government operations, decision making and mission support capabilities.
Aug. 1, 2015 10:00 AM EDT Reads: 350
Explosive growth in connected devices. Enormous amounts of data for collection and analysis. Critical use of data for split-second decision making and actionable information. All three are factors in making the Internet of Things a reality. Yet, any one factor would have an IT organization pondering its infrastructure strategy. How should your organization enhance its IT framework to enable an Internet of Things implementation? In his session at @ThingsExpo, James Kirkland, Red Hat's Chief Architect for the Internet of Things and Intelligent Systems, described how to revolutionize your archit...
Jul. 30, 2015 07:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,436
MuleSoft has announced the findings of its 2015 Connectivity Benchmark Report on the adoption and business impact of APIs. The findings suggest traditional businesses are quickly evolving into "composable enterprises" built out of hundreds of connected software services, applications and devices. Most are embracing the Internet of Things (IoT) and microservices technologies like Docker. A majority are integrating wearables, like smart watches, and more than half plan to generate revenue with APIs within the next year.
Jul. 30, 2015 02:30 PM EDT Reads: 163
Growth hacking is common for startups to make unheard-of progress in building their business. Career Hacks can help Geek Girls and those who support them (yes, that's you too, Dad!) to excel in this typically male-dominated world. Get ready to learn the facts: Is there a bias against women in the tech / developer communities? Why are women 50% of the workforce, but hold only 24% of the STEM or IT positions? Some beginnings of what to do about it! In her Opening Keynote at 16th Cloud Expo, Sandy Carter, IBM General Manager Cloud Ecosystem and Developers, and a Social Business Evangelist, d...
Jul. 30, 2015 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,094
In his keynote at 16th Cloud Expo, Rodney Rogers, CEO of Virtustream, discussed the evolution of the company from inception to its recent acquisition by EMC – including personal insights, lessons learned (and some WTF moments) along the way. Learn how Virtustream’s unique approach of combining the economics and elasticity of the consumer cloud model with proper performance, application automation and security into a platform became a breakout success with enterprise customers and a natural fit for the EMC Federation.
Jul. 30, 2015 09:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,183
The Internet of Things is not only adding billions of sensors and billions of terabytes to the Internet. It is also forcing a fundamental change in the way we envision Information Technology. For the first time, more data is being created by devices at the edge of the Internet rather than from centralized systems. What does this mean for today's IT professional? In this Power Panel at @ThingsExpo, moderated by Conference Chair Roger Strukhoff, panelists addressed this very serious issue of profound change in the industry.
Jul. 29, 2015 03:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,311
Discussions about cloud computing are evolving into discussions about enterprise IT in general. As enterprises increasingly migrate toward their own unique clouds, new issues such as the use of containers and microservices emerge to keep things interesting. In this Power Panel at 16th Cloud Expo, moderated by Conference Chair Roger Strukhoff, panelists addressed the state of cloud computing today, and what enterprise IT professionals need to know about how the latest topics and trends affect their organization.
Jul. 29, 2015 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,219
It is one thing to build single industrial IoT applications, but what will it take to build the Smart Cities and truly society-changing applications of the future? The technology won’t be the problem, it will be the number of parties that need to work together and be aligned in their motivation to succeed. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Jason Mondanaro, Director, Product Management at Metanga, discussed how you can plan to cooperate, partner, and form lasting all-star teams to change the world and it starts with business models and monetization strategies.
Jul. 28, 2015 04:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,781
Converging digital disruptions is creating a major sea change - Cisco calls this the Internet of Everything (IoE). IoE is the network connection of People, Process, Data and Things, fueled by Cloud, Mobile, Social, Analytics and Security, and it represents a $19Trillion value-at-stake over the next 10 years. In her keynote at @ThingsExpo, Manjula Talreja, VP of Cisco Consulting Services, discussed IoE and the enormous opportunities it provides to public and private firms alike. She will share what businesses must do to thrive in the IoE economy, citing examples from several industry sectors.
Jul. 28, 2015 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,056
There will be 150 billion connected devices by 2020. New digital businesses have already disrupted value chains across every industry. APIs are at the center of the digital business. You need to understand what assets you have that can be exposed digitally, what their digital value chain is, and how to create an effective business model around that value chain to compete in this economy. No enterprise can be complacent and not engage in the digital economy. Learn how to be the disruptor and not the disruptee.
Jul. 27, 2015 10:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,057
Akana has released Envision, an enhanced API analytics platform that helps enterprises mine critical insights across their digital eco-systems, understand their customers and partners and offer value-added personalized services. “In today’s digital economy, data-driven insights are proving to be a key differentiator for businesses. Understanding the data that is being tunneled through their APIs and how it can be used to optimize their business and operations is of paramount importance,” said Alistair Farquharson, CTO of Akana.
Jul. 27, 2015 09:00 AM EDT Reads: 339
Business as usual for IT is evolving into a "Make or Buy" decision on a service-by-service conversation with input from the LOBs. How does your organization move forward with cloud? In his general session at 16th Cloud Expo, Paul Maravei, Regional Sales Manager, Hybrid Cloud and Managed Services at Cisco, discusses how Cisco and its partners offer a market-leading portfolio and ecosystem of cloud infrastructure and application services that allow you to uniquely and securely combine cloud business applications and services across multiple cloud delivery models.
Jul. 27, 2015 08:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,917
The enterprise market will drive IoT device adoption over the next five years. In his session at @ThingsExpo, John Greenough, an analyst at BI Intelligence, division of Business Insider, analyzed how companies will adopt IoT products and the associated cost of adopting those products. John Greenough is the lead analyst covering the Internet of Things for BI Intelligence- Business Insider’s paid research service. Numerous IoT companies have cited his analysis of the IoT. Prior to joining BI Intelligence, he worked analyzing bank technology for Corporate Insight and The Clearing House Payment...
Jul. 26, 2015 09:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,599
"Optimal Design is a technology integration and product development firm that specializes in connecting devices to the cloud," stated Joe Wascow, Co-Founder & CMO of Optimal Design, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at @ThingsExpo, held June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City.
Jul. 25, 2015 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 408
SYS-CON Events announced today that CommVault has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 17th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 3–5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. A singular vision – a belief in a better way to address current and future data management needs – guides CommVault in the development of Singular Information Management® solutions for high-performance data protection, universal availability and simplified management of data on complex storage networks. CommVault's exclusive single-platform architecture gives companies unp...
Jul. 25, 2015 01:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,982
Electric Cloud and Arynga have announced a product integration partnership that will bring Continuous Delivery solutions to the automotive Internet-of-Things (IoT) market. The joint solution will help automotive manufacturers, OEMs and system integrators adopt DevOps automation and Continuous Delivery practices that reduce software build and release cycle times within the complex and specific parameters of embedded and IoT software systems.
Jul. 25, 2015 12:15 PM EDT Reads: 490
"ciqada is a combined platform of hardware modules and server products that lets people take their existing devices or new devices and lets them be accessible over the Internet for their users," noted Geoff Engelstein of ciqada, a division of Mars International, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at @ThingsExpo, held June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City.
Jul. 25, 2015 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,566
Internet of Things is moving from being a hype to a reality. Experts estimate that internet connected cars will grow to 152 million, while over 100 million internet connected wireless light bulbs and lamps will be operational by 2020. These and many other intriguing statistics highlight the importance of Internet powered devices and how market penetration is going to multiply many times over in the next few years.
Jul. 25, 2015 09:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,510