|By Marketwired .||
|January 29, 2013 11:54 AM EST||
ADDIS ABABA, ETHIOPIA -- (Marketwire) -- 01/29/13 -- The Honourable Julian Fantino, Minister of International Cooperation, announced today that Canada will continue to provide support to help the people of Mali affected by conflict and instability. Canada is increasing its investment in Mali to help improve food security, reduce malnutrition, address emergency healthcare needs and provide other much-needed humanitarian assistance. The announcement was made during a high-level international meeting at the African Union Secretariat in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
"Canada has been a friend of the Malian people," said Minister Fantino. "Building on Canada's significant investments over the past year, Canada will continue its life-saving work in Mali through humanitarian and development assistance."
Canada, through the Canadian International Development Agency (CIDA), will help respond to the immediate humanitarian needs of persons affected by the crisis in Mali. This support will be disbursed to Canadian non-governmental partners, as well as to United Nations agencies, to provide emergency health care, maternal, newborn and nutrition services for children under five. Part of this funding will also deliver shelter, primary health care, water and sanitation to some 150,000 Malian refugees in Niger, Mauritania and Burkina Faso, and more than 235,000 internally-displaced people in Mali.
"Canadian investments have contributed to improving the quality of life of the most vulnerable Malians affected by the crisis, but we remain deeply concerned about the deteriorating situation and its effects on the stability of the Sahel region," concluded Minister Fantino. "The crisis can only be resolved through a collaborative approach between the various Malian, African, and international stakeholders, as well as through the return of a democratic government in Mali."
Situation in Mali
The humanitarian situation in Mali continues to be of concern. Humanitarian agencies report that the food and nutrition crisis has left 2 million Malians food-insecure, and that an estimated 383,000 have been displaced by the conflict, including more than 235,000 within Mali and some 150,000 who have sought refuge in Burkina Faso, Niger and Mauritania.
Canadian Funding for Mali
Canada is increasing its investment in Mali by $13 million to help improve food security, reduce malnutrition, address emergency healthcare and provide much-needed humanitarian assistance.
Humanitarian Assistance in Mali
- The United Nations World Food Programme (http://www.acdi-cida.gc.ca/acdi-cida/ACDI-CIDA.nsf/eng/NAD-1131453-QDQ ) will provide emergency food and nutrition assistance to 401,000 vulnerable people affected by the crisis who are living in the north and to 135,000 vulnerable people in the south, including displaced households, host families and 15,000 people severely affected by the 2012 drought who need assistance to recover from the impact of the food and nutrition crisis, as well as blanket and supplementary feeding provided to 141,900 children under five years of age, and pregnant and lactating women in Mali. ($3 million)
- The United Nations World Food Programme - Humanitarian Air Service (http://www.wfp.org/content/united-nations-humanitarian-air-service-unhas) will provide safe, efficient and cost-effective travel service for United Nations agencies, non-governmental organizations and donor organizations providing humanitarian assistance in Mali, as well as light cargo such as medical supplies, high-energy foods, and information and communications technology equipment. ($500,000)
- Handicap International (http://en.handicap-international.ca/index.php) will provide emergency maternal and newborn healthcare for 30,000 conflict-affected women, and emergency medical supplies and equipment to16 health districts. ($1 million)
- Medecins du Monde (http://medecinsdumonde.ca/) will provide emergency healthcare to as many as 203,000 people in Gao and Kidal, two regions affected by conflict, and treatment of acute malnutrition for 28,000 children and 7,400 pregnant and lactating women. ($1.5 million)
- World Vision Canada (http://www.worldvision.ca/Pages/welcome.aspx) will help improve hygiene and sanitation practices in schools as a result of hygiene promotion campaigns, and improve access to clean water and sanitation in targeted health centres. ($1 million)
Humanitarian Assistance to Malians in neighbouring countries
- The United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (http://www.acdi-cida.gc.ca/acdi-cida/ACDI-CIDA.nsf/eng/NAD-321135143-NXV) will continue to provide protection and assistance to more than 150,000 Malian refugees in neighbouring Mauritania, Niger and Burkina Faso, and prepare for the possibility of up to 400,000 additional refugees in neighbouring countries and up to 300,000 additional internally displaced people inside Mali, should the security situation continue to deteriorate. ($1.5 million)
- The United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) (http://www.acdi-cida.gc.ca/acdi-cida/ACDI-CIDA.nsf/eng/NAD-1131453-QDQ) will provide emergency food and nutrition assistance to more than 150,000 Malian refugees currently in camps in Niger, Mauritania and Burkina Faso. This includes the provision of blanket and supplementary feeding for 27,000 children aged 6 to 59 months, and the treatment of moderate acute malnutrition for 3,250 children and close to 800 pregnant and lactating women. ($1.5 million)
- The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) (http://www.icrc.org/eng/) will provide food rations for 120,000 displaced people for up to three months, in addition to water to 32,500 conflict-affected people in northern Mali. They will also support nine health centres serving 23,000 people in Gao, northern Mali. ($2 million)
- CARE Canada (http://care.ca/) will ensure that the basic water, sanitation and hygiene needs of 50,000 vulnerable off-camp Malian refugees and host families in Niger are met through the provision of non-food items, hygiene promotion, clean drinking water and safe sanitation. The project will result in improved health and decreased risk of water-borne diseases for 50,000 people in a region affected by food insecurity and displacement, and improved resilience and food security for 2,000 vulnerable families. ($1 million)
The BPM world is going through some evolution or changes where traditional business process management solutions really have nowhere to go in terms of development of the road map. In this demo at 15th Cloud Expo, Kyle Hansen, Director of Professional Services at AgilePoint, shows AgilePoint’s unique approach to dealing with this market circumstance by developing a rapid application composition or development framework.
Dec. 20, 2014 01:00 PM EST Reads: 1,051
ARMONK, N.Y., Nov. 20, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- IBM (NYSE: IBM) today announced that it is bringing a greater level of control, security and flexibility to cloud-based application development and delivery with a single-tenant version of Bluemix, IBM's platform-as-a-service. The new platform enables developers to build ap...
Dec. 20, 2014 12:30 PM EST Reads: 2,040
"BSQUARE is in the business of selling software solutions for smart connected devices. It's obvious that IoT has moved from being a technology to being a fundamental part of business, and in the last 18 months people have said let's figure out how to do it and let's put some focus on it, " explained Dave Wagstaff, VP & Chief Architect, at BSQUARE Corporation, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at @ThingsExpo, held Nov 4-6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Dec. 20, 2014 12:00 PM EST Reads: 1,920
The major cloud platforms defy a simple, side-by-side analysis. Each of the major IaaS public-cloud platforms offers their own unique strengths and functionality. Options for on-site private cloud are diverse as well, and must be designed and deployed while taking existing legacy architecture and infrastructure into account. Then the reality is that most enterprises are embarking on a hybrid cloud strategy and programs. In this Power Panel at 15th Cloud Expo (http://www.CloudComputingExpo.com), moderated by Ashar Baig, Research Director, Cloud, at Gigaom Research, Nate Gordon, Director of T...
Dec. 20, 2014 11:30 AM EST Reads: 2,356
The Internet of Things is not new. Historically, smart businesses have used its basic concept of leveraging data to drive better decision making and have capitalized on those insights to realize additional revenue opportunities. So, what has changed to make the Internet of Things one of the hottest topics in tech? In his session at @ThingsExpo, Chris Gray, Director, Embedded and Internet of Things, discussed the underlying factors that are driving the economics of intelligent systems. Discover how hardware commoditization, the ubiquitous nature of connectivity, and the emergence of Big Data a...
Dec. 20, 2014 11:00 AM EST Reads: 2,232
SYS-CON Events announced today that Windstream, a leading provider of advanced network and cloud communications, has been named “Silver Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9–11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York, NY. Windstream (Nasdaq: WIN), a FORTUNE 500 and S&P 500 company, is a leading provider of advanced network communications, including cloud computing and managed services, to businesses nationwide. The company also offers broadband, phone and digital TV services to consumers primarily in rural areas.
Dec. 20, 2014 10:45 AM EST Reads: 2,217
“In the past year we've seen a lot of stabilization of WebRTC. You can now use it in production with a far greater degree of certainty. A lot of the real developments in the past year have been in things like the data channel, which will enable a whole new type of application," explained Peter Dunkley, Technical Director at Acision, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at @ThingsExpo, held Nov 4–6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Dec. 20, 2014 08:00 AM EST Reads: 1,271
SYS-CON Events announced today that IDenticard will exhibit at SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. IDenticard™ is the security division of Brady Corp (NYSE: BRC), a $1.5 billion manufacturer of identification products. We have small-company values with the strength and stability of a major corporation. IDenticard offers local sales, support and service to our customers across the United States and Canada. Our partner network encompasses some 300 of the world's leading systems integrators and security s...
Dec. 20, 2014 07:00 AM EST Reads: 2,083
DevOps Summit 2015 New York, co-located with the 16th International Cloud Expo - to be held June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY - announces that it is now accepting Keynote Proposals. The widespread success of cloud computing is driving the DevOps revolution in enterprise IT. Now as never before, development teams must communicate and collaborate in a dynamic, 24/7/365 environment. There is no time to wait for long development cycles that produce software that is obsolete at launch. DevOps may be disruptive, but it is essential.
Dec. 18, 2014 09:45 PM EST Reads: 1,101
"People are a lot more knowledgeable about APIs now. There are two types of people who work with APIs - IT people who want to use APIs for something internal and the product managers who want to do something outside APIs for people to connect to them," explained Roberto Medrano, Executive Vice President at SOA Software, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at Cloud Expo, held Nov 4–6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Dec. 18, 2014 09:00 AM EST Reads: 1,331
Nigeria has the largest economy in Africa, at more than US$500 billion, and ranks 23rd in the world. A recent re-evaluation of Nigeria's true economic size doubled the previous estimate, and brought it well ahead of South Africa, which is a member (unlike Nigeria) of the G20 club for political as well as economic reasons. Nigeria's economy can be said to be quite diverse from one point of view, but heavily dependent on oil and gas at the same time. Oil and natural gas account for about 15% of Nigera's overall economy, but traditionally represent more than 90% of the country's exports and as...
Dec. 18, 2014 06:00 AM EST Reads: 875
The Internet of Things is a misnomer. That implies that everything is on the Internet, and that simply should not be - especially for things that are blurring the line between medical devices that stimulate like a pacemaker and quantified self-sensors like a pedometer or pulse tracker. The mesh of things that we manage must be segmented into zones of trust for sensing data, transmitting data, receiving command and control administrative changes, and peer-to-peer mesh messaging. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Ryan Bagnulo, Solution Architect / Software Engineer at SOA Software, focused on desi...
Dec. 17, 2014 11:15 PM EST Reads: 1,365
"At our booth we are showing how to provide trust in the Internet of Things. Trust is where everything starts to become secure and trustworthy. Now with the scaling of the Internet of Things it becomes an interesting question – I've heard numbers from 200 billion devices next year up to a trillion in the next 10 to 15 years," explained Johannes Lintzen, Vice President of Sales at Utimaco, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at @ThingsExpo, held Nov 4–6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Dec. 17, 2014 11:00 PM EST Reads: 1,416
"For over 25 years we have been working with a lot of enterprise customers and we have seen how companies create applications. And now that we have moved to cloud computing, mobile, social and the Internet of Things, we see that the market needs a new way of creating applications," stated Jesse Shiah, CEO, President and Co-Founder of AgilePoint Inc., in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 15th Cloud Expo, held Nov 4–6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Dec. 17, 2014 08:00 PM EST Reads: 1,408
SYS-CON Events announced today that Gridstore™, the leader in hyper-converged infrastructure purpose-built to optimize Microsoft workloads, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Gridstore™ is the leader in hyper-converged infrastructure purpose-built for Microsoft workloads and designed to accelerate applications in virtualized environments. Gridstore’s hyper-converged infrastructure is the industry’s first all flash version of HyperConverged Appliances that include both compute and storag...
Dec. 17, 2014 06:30 PM EST Reads: 1,316
Today’s enterprise is being driven by disruptive competitive and human capital requirements to provide enterprise application access through not only desktops, but also mobile devices. To retrofit existing programs across all these devices using traditional programming methods is very costly and time consuming – often prohibitively so. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Jesse Shiah, CEO, President, and Co-Founder of AgilePoint Inc., discussed how you can create applications that run on all mobile devices as well as laptops and desktops using a visual drag-and-drop application – and eForms-buildi...
Dec. 17, 2014 11:45 AM EST Reads: 1,529
We certainly live in interesting technological times. And no more interesting than the current competing IoT standards for connectivity. Various standards bodies, approaches, and ecosystems are vying for mindshare and positioning for a competitive edge. It is clear that when the dust settles, we will have new protocols, evolved protocols, that will change the way we interact with devices and infrastructure. We will also have evolved web protocols, like HTTP/2, that will be changing the very core of our infrastructures. At the same time, we have old approaches made new again like micro-services...
Dec. 16, 2014 11:45 PM EST Reads: 1,361
Code Halos - aka "digital fingerprints" - are the key organizing principle to understand a) how dumb things become smart and b) how to monetize this dynamic. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Robert Brown, AVP, Center for the Future of Work at Cognizant Technology Solutions, outlined research, analysis and recommendations from his recently published book on this phenomena on the way leading edge organizations like GE and Disney are unlocking the Internet of Things opportunity and what steps your organization should be taking to position itself for the next platform of digital competition.
Dec. 15, 2014 11:45 PM EST Reads: 1,715
The 3rd International Internet of @ThingsExpo, co-located with the 16th International Cloud Expo - to be held June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY - announces that its Call for Papers is now open. The Internet of Things (IoT) is the biggest idea since the creation of the Worldwide Web more than 20 years ago.
Dec. 15, 2014 10:30 AM EST Reads: 6,901
As the Internet of Things unfolds, mobile and wearable devices are blurring the line between physical and digital, integrating ever more closely with our interests, our routines, our daily lives. Contextual computing and smart, sensor-equipped spaces bring the potential to walk through a world that recognizes us and responds accordingly. We become continuous transmitters and receivers of data. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Andrew Bolwell, Director of Innovation for HP's Printing and Personal Systems Group, discussed how key attributes of mobile technology – touch input, sensors, social, and ...
Dec. 15, 2014 10:00 AM EST Reads: 1,975