|By Marketwired .||
|January 29, 2013 11:54 AM EST||
ADDIS ABABA, ETHIOPIA -- (Marketwire) -- 01/29/13 -- The Honourable Julian Fantino, Minister of International Cooperation, announced today that Canada will continue to provide support to help the people of Mali affected by conflict and instability. Canada is increasing its investment in Mali to help improve food security, reduce malnutrition, address emergency healthcare needs and provide other much-needed humanitarian assistance. The announcement was made during a high-level international meeting at the African Union Secretariat in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
"Canada has been a friend of the Malian people," said Minister Fantino. "Building on Canada's significant investments over the past year, Canada will continue its life-saving work in Mali through humanitarian and development assistance."
Canada, through the Canadian International Development Agency (CIDA), will help respond to the immediate humanitarian needs of persons affected by the crisis in Mali. This support will be disbursed to Canadian non-governmental partners, as well as to United Nations agencies, to provide emergency health care, maternal, newborn and nutrition services for children under five. Part of this funding will also deliver shelter, primary health care, water and sanitation to some 150,000 Malian refugees in Niger, Mauritania and Burkina Faso, and more than 235,000 internally-displaced people in Mali.
"Canadian investments have contributed to improving the quality of life of the most vulnerable Malians affected by the crisis, but we remain deeply concerned about the deteriorating situation and its effects on the stability of the Sahel region," concluded Minister Fantino. "The crisis can only be resolved through a collaborative approach between the various Malian, African, and international stakeholders, as well as through the return of a democratic government in Mali."
Situation in Mali
The humanitarian situation in Mali continues to be of concern. Humanitarian agencies report that the food and nutrition crisis has left 2 million Malians food-insecure, and that an estimated 383,000 have been displaced by the conflict, including more than 235,000 within Mali and some 150,000 who have sought refuge in Burkina Faso, Niger and Mauritania.
Canadian Funding for Mali
Canada is increasing its investment in Mali by $13 million to help improve food security, reduce malnutrition, address emergency healthcare and provide much-needed humanitarian assistance.
Humanitarian Assistance in Mali
- The United Nations World Food Programme (http://www.acdi-cida.gc.ca/acdi-cida/ACDI-CIDA.nsf/eng/NAD-1131453-QDQ ) will provide emergency food and nutrition assistance to 401,000 vulnerable people affected by the crisis who are living in the north and to 135,000 vulnerable people in the south, including displaced households, host families and 15,000 people severely affected by the 2012 drought who need assistance to recover from the impact of the food and nutrition crisis, as well as blanket and supplementary feeding provided to 141,900 children under five years of age, and pregnant and lactating women in Mali. ($3 million)
- The United Nations World Food Programme - Humanitarian Air Service (http://www.wfp.org/content/united-nations-humanitarian-air-service-unhas) will provide safe, efficient and cost-effective travel service for United Nations agencies, non-governmental organizations and donor organizations providing humanitarian assistance in Mali, as well as light cargo such as medical supplies, high-energy foods, and information and communications technology equipment. ($500,000)
- Handicap International (http://en.handicap-international.ca/index.php) will provide emergency maternal and newborn healthcare for 30,000 conflict-affected women, and emergency medical supplies and equipment to16 health districts. ($1 million)
- Medecins du Monde (http://medecinsdumonde.ca/) will provide emergency healthcare to as many as 203,000 people in Gao and Kidal, two regions affected by conflict, and treatment of acute malnutrition for 28,000 children and 7,400 pregnant and lactating women. ($1.5 million)
- World Vision Canada (http://www.worldvision.ca/Pages/welcome.aspx) will help improve hygiene and sanitation practices in schools as a result of hygiene promotion campaigns, and improve access to clean water and sanitation in targeted health centres. ($1 million)
Humanitarian Assistance to Malians in neighbouring countries
- The United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (http://www.acdi-cida.gc.ca/acdi-cida/ACDI-CIDA.nsf/eng/NAD-321135143-NXV) will continue to provide protection and assistance to more than 150,000 Malian refugees in neighbouring Mauritania, Niger and Burkina Faso, and prepare for the possibility of up to 400,000 additional refugees in neighbouring countries and up to 300,000 additional internally displaced people inside Mali, should the security situation continue to deteriorate. ($1.5 million)
- The United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) (http://www.acdi-cida.gc.ca/acdi-cida/ACDI-CIDA.nsf/eng/NAD-1131453-QDQ) will provide emergency food and nutrition assistance to more than 150,000 Malian refugees currently in camps in Niger, Mauritania and Burkina Faso. This includes the provision of blanket and supplementary feeding for 27,000 children aged 6 to 59 months, and the treatment of moderate acute malnutrition for 3,250 children and close to 800 pregnant and lactating women. ($1.5 million)
- The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) (http://www.icrc.org/eng/) will provide food rations for 120,000 displaced people for up to three months, in addition to water to 32,500 conflict-affected people in northern Mali. They will also support nine health centres serving 23,000 people in Gao, northern Mali. ($2 million)
- CARE Canada (http://care.ca/) will ensure that the basic water, sanitation and hygiene needs of 50,000 vulnerable off-camp Malian refugees and host families in Niger are met through the provision of non-food items, hygiene promotion, clean drinking water and safe sanitation. The project will result in improved health and decreased risk of water-borne diseases for 50,000 people in a region affected by food insecurity and displacement, and improved resilience and food security for 2,000 vulnerable families. ($1 million)
The Internet of Things will greatly expand the opportunities for data collection and new business models driven off of that data. In her session at Internet of @ThingsExpo, Esmeralda Swartz, CMO of MetraTech, will discuss how for this to be effective you not only need to have infrastructure and operational models capable of utilizing this new phenomenon, but increasingly service providers will need to convince a skeptical public to participate. Get ready to show them the money! Speaker Bio: Esmeralda Swartz, CMO of MetraTech, has spent 16 years as a marketing, product management, and busin...
Oct. 24, 2014 09:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,041
Samsung VP Jacopo Lenzi, who headed the company's recent SmartThings acquisition under the auspices of Samsung's Open Innovaction Center (OIC), answered a few questions we had about the deal. This interview was in conjunction with our interview with SmartThings CEO Alex Hawkinson. IoT Journal: SmartThings was developed in an open, standards-agnostic platform, and will now be part of Samsung's Open Innovation Center. Can you elaborate on your commitment to keep the platform open? Jacopo Lenzi: Samsung recognizes that true, accelerated innovation cannot be driven from one source, but requires a...
Oct. 23, 2014 11:45 PM EDT Reads: 2,585
SYS-CON Events announced today that Red Hat, the world's leading provider of open source solutions, will exhibit at Internet of @ThingsExpo, which will take place on November 4–6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Red Hat is the world's leading provider of open source software solutions, using a community-powered approach to reliable and high-performing cloud, Linux, middleware, storage and virtualization technologies. Red Hat also offers award-winning support, training, and consulting services. As the connective hub in a global network of enterprises, partners, a...
Oct. 23, 2014 11:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,642
P2P RTC will impact the landscape of communications, shifting from traditional telephony style communications models to OTT (Over-The-Top) cloud assisted & PaaS (Platform as a Service) communication services. The P2P shift will impact many areas of our lives, from mobile communication, human interactive web services, RTC and telephony infrastructure, user federation, security and privacy implications, business costs, and scalability. In his session at Internet of @ThingsExpo, Robin Raymond, Chief Architect at Hookflash Inc., will walk through the shifting landscape of traditional telephone a...
Oct. 23, 2014 08:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,533
SYS-CON Events announced today that Matrix.org has been named “Silver Sponsor” of Internet of @ThingsExpo, which will take place on November 4–6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Matrix is an ambitious new open standard for open, distributed, real-time communication over IP. It defines a new approach for interoperable Instant Messaging and VoIP based on pragmatic HTTP APIs and WebRTC, and provides open source reference implementations to showcase and bootstrap the new standard. Our focus is on simplicity, security, and supporting the fullest feature set.
Oct. 23, 2014 08:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,651
BSQUARE is a global leader of embedded software solutions. We enable smart connected systems at the device level and beyond that millions use every day and provide actionable data solutions for the growing Internet of Things (IoT) market. We empower our world-class customers with our products, services and solutions to achieve innovation and success. For more information, visit www.bsquare.com.
Oct. 23, 2014 08:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,585
How do APIs and IoT relate? The answer is not as simple as merely adding an API on top of a dumb device, but rather about understanding the architectural patterns for implementing an IoT fabric. There are typically two or three trends: Exposing the device to a management framework Exposing that management framework to a business centric logic • Exposing that business layer and data to end users. This last trend is the IoT stack, which involves a new shift in the separation of what stuff happens, where data lives and where the interface lies. For instance, it’s a mix of architectural style...
Oct. 23, 2014 07:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,601
From a software development perspective IoT is about programming "things," about connecting them with each other or integrating them with existing applications. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Yakov Fain, co-founder of Farata Systems and SuranceBay, will show you how small IoT-enabled devices from multiple manufacturers can be integrated into the workflow of an enterprise application. This is a practical demo of building a framework and components in HTML/Java/Mobile technologies to serve as a platform that can integrate new devices as they become available on the market.
Oct. 23, 2014 06:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,583
SYS-CON Events announced today that SOA Software, an API management leader, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 15th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 4–6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. SOA Software is a leading provider of API Management and SOA Governance products that equip business to deliver APIs and SOA together to drive their company to meet its business strategy quickly and effectively. SOA Software’s technology helps businesses to accelerate their digital channels with APIs, drive partner adoption, monetize their assets, and achieve a...
Oct. 23, 2014 06:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,628
SYS-CON Events announced today that Utimaco will exhibit at SYS-CON's 15th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 4–6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Utimaco is a leading manufacturer of hardware based security solutions that provide the root of trust to keep cryptographic keys safe, secure critical digital infrastructures and protect high value data assets. Only Utimaco delivers a general-purpose hardware security module (HSM) as a customizable platform to easily integrate into existing software solutions, embed business logic and build s...
Oct. 23, 2014 05:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,550
Connected devices are changing the way we go about our everyday life, from wearables to driverless cars, to smart grids and entire industries revolutionizing business opportunities through smart objects, capable of two-way communication. But what happens when objects are given an IP-address, and we rely on that connection, sometimes with our lives? How do we secure those vast data infrastructures and safe-keep the privacy of sensitive information? This session will outline how each and every connected device can uphold a core root of trust via a unique cryptographic signature – a “bir...
Oct. 23, 2014 05:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,449
Internet of @ThingsExpo Silicon Valley announced on Thursday its first 12 all-star speakers and sessions for its upcoming event, which will take place November 4-6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in California. @ThingsExpo, the first and largest IoT event in the world, debuted at the Javits Center in New York City in June 10-12, 2014 with over 6,000 delegates attending the conference. Among the first 12 announced world class speakers, IBM will present two highly popular IoT sessions, which will take place November 4-6, 2014 at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, Calif...
Oct. 23, 2014 01:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,612
Almost everyone sees the potential of Internet of Things but how can businesses truly unlock that potential. The key will be in the ability to discover business insight in the midst of an ocean of Big Data generated from billions of embedded devices via Systems of Discover. Businesses will also need to ensure that they can sustain that insight by leveraging the cloud for global reach, scale and elasticity.
Oct. 22, 2014 09:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,461
WebRTC defines no default signaling protocol, causing fragmentation between WebRTC silos. SIP and XMPP provide possibilities, but come with considerable complexity and are not designed for use in a web environment. In his session at Internet of @ThingsExpo, Matthew Hodgson, technical co-founder of the Matrix.org, will discuss how Matrix is a new non-profit Open Source Project that defines both a new HTTP-based standard for VoIP & IM signaling and provides reference implementations.
Oct. 22, 2014 01:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,581
SUNNYVALE, Calif., Oct. 20, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Spansion Inc. (NYSE: CODE), a global leader in embedded systems, today added 96 new products to the Spansion® FM4 Family of flexible microcontrollers (MCUs). Based on the ARM® Cortex®-M4F core, the new MCUs boast a 200 MHz operating frequency and support a diverse set of on-chip peripherals for enhanced human machine interfaces (HMIs) and machine-to-machine (M2M) communications. The rich set of periphera...
Oct. 21, 2014 08:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,639
SYS-CON Events announced today that Aria Systems, the recurring revenue expert, has been named "Bronze Sponsor" of SYS-CON's 15th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 4-6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Aria Systems helps leading businesses connect their customers with the products and services they love. Industry leaders like Pitney Bowes, Experian, AAA NCNU, VMware, HootSuite and many others choose Aria to power their recurring revenue business and deliver exceptional experiences to their customers.
Oct. 21, 2014 06:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,546
The Internet of Things (IoT) is going to require a new way of thinking and of developing software for speed, security and innovation. This requires IT leaders to balance business as usual while anticipating for the next market and technology trends. Cloud provides the right IT asset portfolio to help today’s IT leaders manage the old and prepare for the new. Today the cloud conversation is evolving from private and public to hybrid. This session will provide use cases and insights to reinforce the value of the network in helping organizations to maximize their company’s cloud experience.
Oct. 21, 2014 05:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,617
The Internet of Things (IoT) is making everything it touches smarter – smart devices, smart cars and smart cities. And lucky us, we’re just beginning to reap the benefits as we work toward a networked society. However, this technology-driven innovation is impacting more than just individuals. The IoT has an environmental impact as well, which brings us to the theme of this month’s #IoTuesday Twitter chat. The ability to remove inefficiencies through connected objects is driving change throughout every sector, including waste management. BigBelly Solar, located just outside of Boston, is trans...
Oct. 21, 2014 09:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,796
Oct. 20, 2014 11:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,501
Predicted by Gartner to add $1.9 trillion to the global economy by 2020, the Internet of Everything (IoE) is based on the idea that devices, systems and services will connect in simple, transparent ways, enabling seamless interactions among devices across brands and sectors. As this vision unfolds, it is clear that no single company can accomplish the level of interoperability required to support the horizontal aspects of the IoE. The AllSeen Alliance, announced in December 2013, was formed with the goal to advance IoE adoption and innovation in the connected home, healthcare, education, aut...
Oct. 20, 2014 11:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,878