|By Bob Gourley||
|January 25, 2013 08:11 AM EST||
Here are the top cyber news and stories of the day.
- Symantec CEO on reorg: “our system is just broken” – The new CEO of Symantec, Steve Bennett, outlined a new re-organizational plan for the security firm. Symantec’s Norton offerings are some of the most purchased consumer anti-virus solutions. Their new offerings will be based on in-house R&D, not acquisitions. It will certainly be interesting to see what they can bring to the table. Via Network World, more here.
- IG: reimbursement irregularities in DOE Smart Grid pilots – The DOE IG has found that their $700M “Smart Grid” pilot program has not been managed well. The recent report states that it is at risk of not meeting its objectives and has an increased risk of fraud, waste and abuse. There are $12.3M in costs which may be the result of poor management or the above issues. Via FierceGovernmentIT, more here.
- New program looks at how information is connected to stay ahead of the cyber threat - DARPA researchers seek a new approach, one that relies on knowing the cyber terrain within the network and understanding how information across the enterprise is connected to find actions associated with an attack buried under or within all the normal data. This program is called the Cyber Target-Attack Analyzer, and it looks to correlate disparate data sources to create a “terrain map” of sorts of cyber networks. Via Phys Org, more here.
- Create a secure browsing session on any Windows computer - Kanguru’s “Defender DualTrust,” is a USB device that allows any users to plug it in and begin secure browsing sessions. It is also an encrypted data storage capability for the user. While pricing is not available yet, this type of solution could be good for consumers to use, whenever they do only banking or purchases. Via Help Net Security, more here.
- Facebook’s Graph Search worries security experts - Graph Search, which Facebook introduced this month and is rolling out gradually, lets people use naturally phrased queries, such as “Mexican restaurants my friends like,” and receive personalized results. The service makes a lot more useful information available to people, and it gives Facebook a new venue for selling advertising. So please take a look at your Facebook settings, and protect yourself. Via Computer World, more here.
- Cyber legislation introduced to new Congress - Senators Jay Rockefeller, Tom Carper and Diane Feinstein formally introduced a new cybersecurity bill on Thursday titled “The Cybersecurity and American Cyber Competitiveness Act of 2013.” Last year’s congress’ inability to hunker down and compromise on cybersecurity worried many experts, and led to an executive order in the meantime. It is time congress had a frank, educated discussion of cybersecurity needs as our nation moves to a more connected state. Via FedScoop, more here.
- UCI develops app that stores DNA info on smartphones – Computer Scientists at the University of California at Irvine have developed an application that can store encrypted pieces of DNA on a smartphone. They believe it has a wide variety of applications, including paternity tests (what’s Maury gonna do?). Via the Daily Pilot, more here.
- ‘Backdoor’ root log-ins found in Barracuda security, networking gear – The Austrian security firm, SEC Consult Vulnerability Lab, has identified undocumented backdoor superuser access into some Barracuda Networks products. These cannot be disabled in the current firmware of the devices. The backdoors were set to be accessible only from Barracuda internal networks, but in reality are accessible from a variety of places. Via ZDNet, more here.
Most technology leaders, contemporary and from the hardware era, are reshaping their businesses to do software in the hope of capturing value in IoT. Although IoT is relatively new in the market, it has already gone through many promotional terms such as IoE, IoX, SDX, Edge/Fog, Mist Compute, etc. Ultimately, irrespective of the name, it is about deriving value from independent software assets participating in an ecosystem as one comprehensive solution.
Apr. 27, 2017 03:45 PM EDT Reads: 547
The 20th International Cloud Expo has announced that its Call for Papers is open. Cloud Expo, to be held June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, brings together Cloud Computing, Big Data, Internet of Things, DevOps, Containers, Microservices and WebRTC to one location. With cloud computing driving a higher percentage of enterprise IT budgets every year, it becomes increasingly important to plant your flag in this fast-expanding business opportunity. Submit your speaking proposal ...
Apr. 27, 2017 01:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,293
SYS-CON Events announced today that Juniper Networks (NYSE: JNPR), an industry leader in automated, scalable and secure networks, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Juniper Networks challenges the status quo with products, solutions and services that transform the economics of networking. The company co-innovates with customers and partners to deliver automated, scalable and secure network...
Apr. 27, 2017 01:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,452
New competitors, disruptive technologies, and growing expectations are pushing every business to both adopt and deliver new digital services. This ‘Digital Transformation’ demands rapid delivery and continuous iteration of new competitive services via multiple channels, which in turn demands new service delivery techniques – including DevOps. In this power panel at @DevOpsSummit 20th Cloud Expo, moderated by DevOps Conference Co-Chair Andi Mann, panelists will examine how DevOps helps to meet th...
Apr. 27, 2017 01:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,582
Apr. 27, 2017 12:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,295
SYS-CON Events announced today that T-Mobile will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. As America's Un-carrier, T-Mobile US, Inc., is redefining the way consumers and businesses buy wireless services through leading product and service innovation. The Company's advanced nationwide 4G LTE network delivers outstanding wireless experiences to 67.4 million customers who are unwilling to compromise on ...
Apr. 27, 2017 12:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,216
Five years ago development was seen as a dead-end career, now it’s anything but – with an explosion in mobile and IoT initiatives increasing the demand for skilled engineers. But apart from having a ready supply of great coders, what constitutes true ‘DevOps Royalty’? It’ll be the ability to craft resilient architectures, supportability, security everywhere across the software lifecycle. In his keynote at @DevOpsSummit at 20th Cloud Expo, Jeffrey Scheaffer, GM and SVP, Continuous Delivery Busine...
Apr. 27, 2017 12:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,049
20th Cloud Expo, taking place June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. Cloud computing is now being embraced by a majority of enterprises of all sizes. Yesterday's debate about public vs. private has transformed into the reality of hybrid cloud: a recent survey shows that 74% of enterprises have a hybrid cloud strategy.
Apr. 27, 2017 12:15 PM EDT Reads: 3,140
With major technology companies and startups seriously embracing IoT strategies, now is the perfect time to attend @ThingsExpo 2016 in New York. Learn what is going on, contribute to the discussions, and ensure that your enterprise is as "IoT-Ready" as it can be! Internet of @ThingsExpo, taking place June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, New York, is co-located with 20th Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry p...
Apr. 27, 2017 12:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,220
With major technology companies and startups seriously embracing Cloud strategies, now is the perfect time to attend @CloudExpo | @ThingsExpo, June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY and October 31 - November 2, 2017, Santa Clara Convention Center, CA. Learn what is going on, contribute to the discussions, and ensure that your enterprise is on the right path to Digital Transformation.
Apr. 27, 2017 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,320
SYS-CON Events announced today that SoftLayer, an IBM Company, has been named “Gold Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 18th Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York, New York. SoftLayer, an IBM Company, provides cloud infrastructure as a service from a growing number of data centers and network points of presence around the world. SoftLayer’s customers range from Web startups to global enterprises.
Apr. 27, 2017 10:45 AM EDT Reads: 2,204
Apr. 27, 2017 10:15 AM EDT Reads: 2,424
NHK, Japan Broadcasting, will feature the upcoming @ThingsExpo Silicon Valley in a special 'Internet of Things' and smart technology documentary that will be filmed on the expo floor between November 3 to 5, 2015, in Santa Clara. NHK is the sole public TV network in Japan equivalent to the BBC in the UK and the largest in Asia with many award-winning science and technology programs. Japanese TV is producing a documentary about IoT and Smart technology and will be covering @ThingsExpo Silicon Val...
Apr. 27, 2017 09:15 AM EDT Reads: 714
The age of Digital Disruption is evolving into the next era – Digital Cohesion, an age in which applications securely self-assemble and deliver predictive services that continuously adapt to user behavior. Information from devices, sensors and applications around us will drive services seamlessly across mobile and fixed devices/infrastructure. This evolution is happening now in software defined services and secure networking. Four key drivers – Performance, Economics, Interoperability and Trust ...
Apr. 27, 2017 08:45 AM EDT Reads: 716
SYS-CON Events announced today that Hitachi Data Systems, a wholly owned subsidiary of Hitachi LTD., will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City. Hitachi Data Systems (HDS) will be featuring the Hitachi Content Platform (HCP) portfolio. This is the industry’s only offering that allows organizations to bring together object storage, file sync and share, cloud storage gateways, and sophisticated search an...
Apr. 27, 2017 08:00 AM EDT Reads: 642
DevOps is often described as a combination of technology and culture. Without both, DevOps isn't complete. However, applying the culture to outdated technology is a recipe for disaster; as response times grow and connections between teams are delayed by technology, the culture will die. A Nutanix Enterprise Cloud has many benefits that provide the needed base for a true DevOps paradigm.
Apr. 27, 2017 08:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,013
SYS-CON Events announced today that CollabNet, a global leader in enterprise software development, release automation and DevOps solutions, will be a Bronze Sponsor of SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, taking place from June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. CollabNet offers a broad range of solutions with the mission of helping modern organizations deliver quality software at speed. The company’s latest innovation, the DevOps Lifecycle Manager (DLM), supports Value S...
Apr. 27, 2017 07:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,101
@GonzalezCarmen has been ranked the Number One Influencer and @ThingsExpo has been named the Number One Brand in the “M2M 2016: Top 100 Influencers and Brands” by Analytic. Onalytica analyzed tweets over the last 6 months mentioning the keywords M2M OR “Machine to Machine.” They then identified the top 100 most influential brands and individuals leading the discussion on Twitter.
Apr. 27, 2017 05:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,239
SYS-CON Events announced today that Super Micro Computer, Inc., a global leader in compute, storage and networking technologies, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Supermicro (NASDAQ: SMCI), the leading innovator in high-performance, high-efficiency server technology, is a premier provider of advanced server Building Block Solutions® for Data Center, Cloud Computing, Enterprise IT, Hadoop/...
Apr. 27, 2017 05:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,305
Amazon has gradually rolled out parts of its IoT offerings in the last year, but these are just the tip of the iceberg. In addition to optimizing their back-end AWS offerings, Amazon is laying the ground work to be a major force in IoT – especially in the connected home and office. Amazon is extending its reach by building on its dominant Cloud IoT platform, its Dash Button strategy, recently announced Replenishment Services, the Echo/Alexa voice recognition control platform, the 6-7 strategic...
Apr. 27, 2017 04:45 AM EDT Reads: 5,462