|By Bob Gourley||
|January 24, 2013 05:43 PM EST||
Here are the top tech news and stories of the day.
- Bitcoin-funded online casino turned a $572,000 profit after six months of operation – Bitcoin casinos started popping up last year, offering gamblers a chance to continue to gamble online. One such casino, which had a game that focused on whether or not a roll of the die was higher than there’s made over $500k (only 33k in Bitcoin) in 2012. They took over 2.3M bets, and paid out over $22M in only 245 days of operation. Via The Verge, more here.
- Google removes obstacle for Netflix (and more) on Samsung Chromebooks – On Tuesday, Google added ARM support to their Native Client (NaCl). It is what enables applications to run in Chrome windows. This increases greatly the viability of the $249 Samsung ARM Chromebook (on which this article is currently being written). Via GigaOM, more here.
- The New ARM Juggernaut Is A Server On A Chip – Applied Micro Circuit has created a server-on-a-chip ARM architecture. In order to increase efficiency, they have created a server that sips power like a smartphone or tablet. Via TechCrunch, more here.
- You Can Squeeze 2.2 Petabytes of Data Into One Gram of DNA – Researchers at the European Bioinformatics Institute have been jamming information into synthetic DNA. They are now wable to store 2.2PB in a single gram of DNA. They can also extract it with 100% accuracy. If this continues, we might one day see organic storage linked to quantum processing? Via Gizmodo, more here.
- With 250M users, Apple plans to invest much more in iCloud and other services – I don’t think many people use iCloud to the fullest extent of its capabilities (the same of course could be said for many consumer devices). However, Apple is hoping to change that by investing a great deal in the service. Over a dozen Apple services are handled by iCloud (and that number will probably only grow). iMessages is the most successful of the iCloud programs, but the 2B iMessages a day are only a drop in the bucket of what they hope to accomplish. Via GigaOM, more here.
- Popularity of Chinese version of Twitter growing in China – The “Chinese Twitter” now has 400M unique users, who generate 150M posts a day. As one of the closet things to free speech in China, it is incredibly popular. The capability is called Weibo, which has some advanced features Twitter does not have. Via FierceGovernmentIT, more here.
- Twitter debuts new video-sharing app Vine – The new “microcamcorder” Vine application, allows you to share up to six seconds of video in your Twitter feed. I am not positive how much can be effectively communicated in six seconds, and I’m not too interested in the service myself. But as a Twitter product, it will at least be tested extensively. Via GigaOM, more here.
- RIM unveils mobile management software support for Apple and Android devices – It might have taken a long time, but it seems RIM finally has realized that BB10 is not the future. They will be offering BYOD support for Android and iOS in their mobile management software. The decision to support non-BlackBerry devices “was really driven by our customers,” RIM senior director of enterprise product management, Jeff Holleran, told Computerworld Australia. Via ComputerWorld, more here.
The Internet of Things (IoT), in all its myriad manifestations, has great potential. Much of that potential comes from the evolving data management and analytic (DMA) technologies and processes that allow us to gain insight from all of the IoT data that can be generated and gathered. This potential may never be met as those data sets are tied to specific industry verticals and single markets, with no clear way to use IoT data and sensor analytics to fulfill the hype being given the IoT today.
Oct. 25, 2016 08:45 PM EDT Reads: 2,699
For basic one-to-one voice or video calling solutions, WebRTC has proven to be a very powerful technology. Although WebRTC’s core functionality is to provide secure, real-time p2p media streaming, leveraging native platform features and server-side components brings up new communication capabilities for web and native mobile applications, allowing for advanced multi-user use cases such as video broadcasting, conferencing, and media recording.
Oct. 25, 2016 08:45 PM EDT Reads: 3,241
Established in 1998, Calsoft is a leading software product engineering Services Company specializing in Storage, Networking, Virtualization and Cloud business verticals. Calsoft provides End-to-End Product Development, Quality Assurance Sustenance, Solution Engineering and Professional Services expertise to assist customers in achieving their product development and business goals. The company's deep domain knowledge of Storage, Virtualization, Networking and Cloud verticals helps in delivering ...
Oct. 25, 2016 08:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,099
SYS-CON Events announced today that Enzu will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Enzu’s mission is to be the leading provider of enterprise cloud solutions worldwide. Enzu enables online businesses to use its IT infrastructure to their competitive advantage. By offering a suite of proven hosting and management services, Enzu wants companies to focus on the core of their online busine...
Oct. 25, 2016 08:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,372
In the next five to ten years, millions, if not billions of things will become smarter. This smartness goes beyond connected things in our homes like the fridge, thermostat and fancy lighting, and into heavily regulated industries including aerospace, pharmaceutical/medical devices and energy. “Smartness” will embed itself within individual products that are part of our daily lives. We will engage with smart products - learning from them, informing them, and communicating with them. Smart produc...
Oct. 25, 2016 07:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,537
November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Penta Security is a leading vendor for data security solutions, including its encryption solution, D’Amo. By using FPE technology, D’Amo allows for the implementation of encryption technology to sensitive data fields without modification to schema in the database environment. With businesses having their data become increasingly more complicated in their mission-critical applications (such as ERP, CRM, HRM), continued ...
Oct. 25, 2016 07:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,111
OnProcess Technology has announced it will be a featured speaker at @ThingsExpo, taking place November 1 - 3, 2016, in Santa Clara, California. Dan Gettens, OnProcess’ Chief Analytics Officer, will discuss how Internet of Things (IoT) data can be leveraged to predict product failures, improve uptime and slash costly inventory stock. @ThingsExpo is an annual gathering of IoT and cloud developers, practitioners and thought-leaders who exchange ideas and insights on topics ranging from Big Data in...
Oct. 25, 2016 07:15 PM EDT Reads: 294
SYS-CON Events announced today that SoftNet Solutions will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. SoftNet Solutions specializes in Enterprise Solutions for Hadoop and Big Data. It offers customers the most open, robust, and value-conscious portfolio of solutions, services, and tools for the shortest route to success with Big Data. The unique differentiator is the ability to architect and ...
Oct. 25, 2016 07:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,025
SYS-CON Events announced today that Cloudbric, a leading website security provider, will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Cloudbric is an elite full service website protection solution specifically designed for IT novices, entrepreneurs, and small and medium businesses. First launched in 2015, Cloudbric is based on the enterprise level Web Application Firewall by Penta Security Sys...
Oct. 25, 2016 06:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,243
SYS-CON Events announced today that Transparent Cloud Computing (T-Cloud) Consortium will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. The Transparent Cloud Computing Consortium (T-Cloud Consortium) will conduct research activities into changes in the computing model as a result of collaboration between "device" and "cloud" and the creation of new value and markets through organic data proces...
Oct. 25, 2016 06:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,440
SYS-CON Events announced today that Roundee / LinearHub will exhibit at the WebRTC Summit at @ThingsExpo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. LinearHub provides Roundee Service, a smart platform for enterprise video conferencing with enhanced features such as automatic recording and transcription service. Slack users can integrate Roundee to their team via Slack’s App Directory, and '/roundee' command lets your video conference ...
Oct. 25, 2016 06:15 PM EDT Reads: 2,142
Successful digital transformation requires new organizational competencies and capabilities. Research tells us that the biggest impediment to successful transformation is human; consequently, the biggest enabler is a properly skilled and empowered workforce. In the digital age, new individual and collective competencies are required. In his session at 19th Cloud Expo, Bob Newhouse, CEO and founder of Agilitiv, will draw together recent research and lessons learned from emerging and established ...
Oct. 25, 2016 05:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,446
SYS-CON Events announced today that Coalfire will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Coalfire is the trusted leader in cybersecurity risk management and compliance services. Coalfire integrates advisory and technical assessments and recommendations to the corporate directors, executives, boards, and IT organizations for global brands and organizations in the technology, cloud, health...
Oct. 25, 2016 05:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,617
As ridesharing competitors and enhanced services increase, notable changes are occurring in the transportation model. Despite the cost-effective means and flexibility of ridesharing, both drivers and users will need to be aware of the connected environment and how it will impact the ridesharing experience. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Timothy Evavold, Executive Director Automotive at Covisint, will discuss key challenges and solutions to powering a ride sharing and/or multimodal model in the a...
Oct. 25, 2016 04:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,553
In his general session at 19th Cloud Expo, Manish Dixit, VP of Product and Engineering at Dice, will discuss how Dice leverages data insights and tools to help both tech professionals and recruiters better understand how skills relate to each other and which skills are in high demand using interactive visualizations and salary indicator tools to maximize earning potential. Manish Dixit is VP of Product and Engineering at Dice. As the leader of the Product, Engineering and Data Sciences team a...
Oct. 25, 2016 03:15 PM EDT Reads: 441
A completely new computing platform is on the horizon. They’re called Microservers by some, ARM Servers by others, and sometimes even ARM-based Servers. No matter what you call them, Microservers will have a huge impact on the data center and on server computing in general. Although few people are familiar with Microservers today, their impact will be felt very soon. This is a new category of computing platform that is available today and is predicted to have triple-digit growth rates for some ...
Oct. 25, 2016 03:00 PM EDT Reads: 34,211
DevOps is being widely accepted (if not fully adopted) as essential in enterprise IT. But as Enterprise DevOps gains maturity, expands scope, and increases velocity, the need for data-driven decisions across teams becomes more acute. DevOps teams in any modern business must wrangle the ‘digital exhaust’ from the delivery toolchain, "pervasive" and "cognitive" computing, APIs and services, mobile devices and applications, the Internet of Things, and now even blockchain. In this power panel at @...
Oct. 25, 2016 03:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,027
SYS-CON Events announced today that Numerex Corp, a leading provider of managed enterprise solutions enabling the Internet of Things (IoT), will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo | @ThingsExpo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Numerex Corp. (NASDAQ:NMRX) is a leading provider of managed enterprise solutions enabling the Internet of Things (IoT). The Company's solutions produce new revenue streams or create operating...
Oct. 25, 2016 01:30 PM EDT Reads: 2,720
SYS-CON Events announced today that MathFreeOn will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. MathFreeOn is Software as a Service (SaaS) used in Engineering and Math education. Write scripts and solve math problems online. MathFreeOn provides online courses for beginners or amateurs who have difficulties in writing scripts. In accordance with various mathematical topics, there are more tha...
Oct. 25, 2016 01:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,072
The best way to leverage your Cloud Expo presence as a sponsor and exhibitor is to plan your news announcements around our events. The press covering Cloud Expo and @ThingsExpo will have access to these releases and will amplify your news announcements. More than two dozen Cloud companies either set deals at our shows or have announced their mergers and acquisitions at Cloud Expo. Product announcements during our show provide your company with the most reach through our targeted audiences.
Oct. 25, 2016 12:45 PM EDT Reads: 4,962