|By PR Newswire||
|January 23, 2013 07:30 AM EST||
LOS CABOS, Mexico, Jan. 23, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Starwood Hotels and Resorts is forecasting an eight to ten percent increase in business at their Los Cabos resorts in 2013, crediting new development, infrastructure improvements and positive news for the forecasted upswing. The Sheraton Hacienda del Mar Golf & Spa Resort and The Westin Resort & Spa share their "top 10" travel trend predictions for what will drive the increased business:
- Access Draws More to Relax & Explore - It is getting easier all the time to get into and around Los Cabos. New nonstop flights added in mid-2012 from strong Los Cabos' tourist-drawing metropolitan areas such as Orange County Calif. (Airtran) and Chicago (Frontier) to Los Cabos International Airport (SJD) and additional nonstop service coming in 2013 from Denver (Airtran), San Diego and Dallas-Fort Worth (Spirit) are expected to entice even more new and repeat travelers. Additionally, a new $250 million four-lane highway that halves travel time between Los Cabos and the state capital, La Paz, and other infrastructure improvements have made driving the southern tip of the Baja California peninsula a breeze, increasing access and tourist interest in regional exploration.
- Service Goes Super Nova - With a steadily growing number of luxury resort properties on the scene, resorts are finding new ways to deliver superior guest experiences. Starwood Resorts Los Cabos, already lauded for their stellar service, have fully embraced the challenge of finding new ways to provide superior guest experiences that surprise and delight, such as from lauded Sheraton Hacienda del Mar Executive Chef Manuel de Luca and The Westin Resort & Spa Los Cabos Executive Chef Manuel Peruyero, who stroll the dining rooms daily to deliver personalized "star treatment" and specially-prepared dishes to guests.
- Sporting Appeal Builds - From golf tournaments and sports fishing to water sports, off road races and personal physical challenges, Los Cabos will play host to a plethora of sporting events in 2013. New this year, both Starwood Resorts will host guests visiting for The Ironman Los Cabos triathlon (March 17). Leading off the year and golf tournaments' schedule was the recent Puerto Los Cabos World Pro-Am. Off-road races include the Cabo 500 and Tecate Score Baja 1000. Water sports draws range from internationally renowned sport fishing challenges, such as Bisbee's Black & Blue Marlin Tournament, Tuna Jackpot, Los Cabos Billfish Tournament, Stars and Stripes Fishing and Golf Tournament, and SUP (Stand Up Paddleboard) Championships.
- Meetings Mania - The new, $100 million, state-of-the-art Los Cabos Convention Center, which hosted world leaders at the international G20 Summit in June 2012 as its inaugural event, has introduced 72,000 square feet of eco-friendly functional meeting and exhibition space to the region. The facility, which also hosted the first-ever Los Cabos International Film Festival in November 2012, is expected to encourage more regional event development and expand Los Cabos' abilities to effectively compete in the destination meetings and conventions business. In tandem with industry trends towards hybrid meetings and events, Starwood Resorts Los Cabos, with some of the largest and most varied meeting and event facilities, offer state-of-the-art IT, with HD video conferencing that enables in-house AV PSAV teams to provide coordinated interface with nearly a thousand PSAV-served hotels throughout the world.
- Rejuven-cations Reign - Along with private white sand beaches, dazzling poolside fun in the sun and world-class dining, more travelers to Los Cabos will seek their own havens for personal rejuvenation. Starwood's Sheraton Hacienda del Mar and The Westin Resort & Spa both offer, in addition to world-class spas and treatment packages, newly renovated and expanded gyms with workout programs and educational resources, as well as healthy dining alternatives, such as The Westin Resort & Spa, Los Cabos' SuperFoodsRx™ menus with nutrient-rich dishes and Sheraton Hacienda del Mar's under 500-calorie "Color Your Plate" selections.
- Trendy Weddings - Los Cabos will continue to attract destination weddings as more couples will flock the area for its uniquely beautiful setting, well-priced luxury dream wedding options with generous gifts of complimentary "extras" and discounts. Events staff at both the Sheraton Hacienda del Mar and The Westin Resort & Spa, Los Cabos note that more couples are looking for highly unique twists for their weddings, including a "trash the dress" trend that is rapidly growing in popularity as many brides are choosing to follow their wedding ceremony with a jump into the surf at the resorts or at Lover's Beach by the El Arco scenic rock-arch.
- More Family Gatherings - With the U.S. State Department lifting travel warnings to Los Cabos and other popular destinations in Mexico last November* and the ever-increasing wealth of cultural, arts, environmental and sports activities for all ages, more multi-generational families will find their way to Los Cabos to celebrate holidays, family occasions and in-tandem getaways. Both Sheraton Hacienda del Mar and The Westin Resort & Spa in Los Cabos offer amenities that cater to every family member and feature newly renovated Kids Club facilities.
- Culinary & Cultural Exchange - Noting increasing guest interest in cultural experiences and world cuisines, both Starwood Los Cabos resorts regularly host cultural festivals and events such as The Westin Resort & Spa's Oktoberfest, with traditional Swiss-German foods and alphorn music, and Sheraton Hacienda del Mar's Peruvian Food Festival, featuring internationally renowned Peruvian cuisine pioneer Jose Montes, executive chef at the Sheraton Lima Hotel & Convention Center. Returning March 9, the Sheraton will again host its Pan, Queso y Vino (Bread, Cheese and Wine Festival) to benefit local boys' home Casa Hogar.
- Wired for Work & Play - With rapidly expanding online access, social media sharing, mobile phone and apps use, more "working" vacationers will access wi-fi and, literally, set up office by the Sea of Cortez. At both Starwood Los Cabos' resorts, more social media fans will receive hotel and local news via Facebook and Twitter, and smart-phone users, in addition to handling bookings via mobile, will discover new regional resource apps such as the Los Cabos Mobile Guide, available at www.visitloscabos.travel.
- Los Cabos for Canines - More travelers will arrive with animal companions in tow, now that the Mexican government is permitting airlines to once again allow them in the cabin during flights to and from Mexico. (Check with your airline before booking for rules and restrictions, which vary and can change, particularly during hotter weather.) The Westin Resort & Spa is among the dog-friendliest luxury resorts in Los Cabos, where dogs may stay in-room and dine, al fresco with their families.
For more information on the Sheraton Hacienda del Mar Golf & Spa Resort, please call 52-624-145-8000 or visit www.sheratonloscabos.com. For more information on The Westin Resort & Spa, Los Cabos, please call 1-800-012-9229 or visit www.westinloscabos.com.
*According to U.S. State Dept. Mexico Travel Update, reported in San Francisco Chronicle/SFGate.com (Dec. 4, 2012).
About Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide, Inc.
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide, Inc. is one of the leading hotel and leisure companies in the world with 1,128 properties in nearly 100 countries and 154,000 employees at its owned and managed properties. Starwood is a fully integrated owner, operator and franchisor of hotels, resorts and residences with the following internationally renowned brands: St. Regis®, The Luxury Collection®, W®, Westin®, Le Méridien®, Sheraton®, Four Points® by Sheraton, Aloft®, and ElementSM. The Company boasts one of the industry's leading loyalty programs, Starwood Preferred Guest (SPG), allowing members to earn and redeem points for room stays, room upgrades and flights, with no blackout dates. Starwood also owns Starwood Vacation Ownership, Inc., a premier provider of world-class vacation experiences through villa-style resorts and privileged access to Starwood brands. For more information, please visit www.starwoodhotels.com.
SOURCE Starwood Hotels and Resorts
Connected devices and the industrial internet are growing exponentially every year with Cisco expecting 50 billion devices to be in operation by 2020. In this period of growth, location-based insights are becoming invaluable to many businesses as they adopt new connected technologies. Knowing when and where these devices connect from is critical for a number of scenarios in supply chain management, disaster management, emergency response, M2M, location marketing and more. In his session at @Th...
Jul. 1, 2016 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,402
Extracting business value from Internet of Things (IoT) data doesn’t happen overnight. There are several requirements that must be satisfied, including IoT device enablement, data analysis, real-time detection of complex events and automated orchestration of actions. Unfortunately, too many companies fall short in achieving their business goals by implementing incomplete solutions or not focusing on tangible use cases. In his general session at @ThingsExpo, Dave McCarthy, Director of Products...
Jul. 1, 2016 01:15 PM EDT Reads: 269
The Internet of Things will challenge the status quo of how IT and development organizations operate. Or will it? Certainly the fog layer of IoT requires special insights about data ontology, security and transactional integrity. But the developmental challenges are the same: People, Process and Platform and how we integrate our thinking to solve complicated problems. In his session at 19th Cloud Expo, Craig Sproule, CEO of Metavine, will demonstrate how to move beyond today's coding paradigm ...
Jul. 1, 2016 01:00 PM EDT Reads: 669
There are several IoTs: the Industrial Internet, Consumer Wearables, Wearables and Healthcare, Supply Chains, and the movement toward Smart Grids, Cities, Regions, and Nations. There are competing communications standards every step of the way, a bewildering array of sensors and devices, and an entire world of competing data analytics platforms. To some this appears to be chaos. In this power panel at @ThingsExpo, moderated by Conference Chair Roger Strukhoff, Bradley Holt, Developer Advocate a...
Jul. 1, 2016 01:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,025
"There's a growing demand from users for things to be faster. When you think about all the transactions or interactions users will have with your product and everything that is between those transactions and interactions - what drives us at Catchpoint Systems is the idea to measure that and to analyze it," explained Leo Vasiliou, Director of Web Performance Engineering at Catchpoint Systems, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 18th Cloud Expo, held June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York Ci...
Jul. 1, 2016 12:32 PM EDT Reads: 144
Apixio Inc. has raised $19.3 million in Series D venture capital funding led by SSM Partners with participation from First Analysis, Bain Capital Ventures and Apixio’s largest angel investor. Apixio will dedicate the proceeds toward advancing and scaling products powered by its cognitive computing platform, further enabling insights for optimal patient care. The Series D funding comes as Apixio experiences strong momentum and increasing demand for its HCC Profiler solution, which mines unstruc...
Jul. 1, 2016 12:30 PM EDT Reads: 668
SYS-CON Events has announced today that Roger Strukhoff has been named conference chair of Cloud Expo and @ThingsExpo 2016 Silicon Valley. The 19th Cloud Expo and 6th @ThingsExpo will take place on November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. "The Internet of Things brings trillions of dollars of opportunity to developers and enterprise IT, no matter how you measure it," stated Roger Strukhoff. "More importantly, it leverages the power of devices and the Interne...
Jul. 1, 2016 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 638
In addition to all the benefits, IoT is also bringing new kind of customer experience challenges - cars that unlock themselves, thermostats turning houses into saunas and baby video monitors broadcasting over the internet. This list can only increase because while IoT services should be intuitive and simple to use, the delivery ecosystem is a myriad of potential problems as IoT explodes complexity. So finding a performance issue is like finding the proverbial needle in the haystack.
Jul. 1, 2016 10:45 AM EDT Reads: 552
Machine Learning helps make complex systems more efficient. By applying advanced Machine Learning techniques such as Cognitive Fingerprinting, wind project operators can utilize these tools to learn from collected data, detect regular patterns, and optimize their own operations. In his session at 18th Cloud Expo, Stuart Gillen, Director of Business Development at SparkCognition, discussed how research has demonstrated the value of Machine Learning in delivering next generation analytics to imp...
Jul. 1, 2016 10:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,073
Whether your IoT service is connecting cars, homes, appliances, wearable, cameras or other devices, one question hangs in the balance – how do you actually make money from this service? The ability to turn your IoT service into profit requires the ability to create a monetization strategy that is flexible, scalable and working for you in real-time. It must be a transparent, smoothly implemented strategy that all stakeholders – from customers to the board – will be able to understand and comprehe...
Jul. 1, 2016 10:00 AM EDT Reads: 494
The cloud market growth today is largely in public clouds. While there is a lot of spend in IT departments in virtualization, these aren’t yet translating into a true “cloud” experience within the enterprise. What is stopping the growth of the “private cloud” market? In his general session at 18th Cloud Expo, Nara Rajagopalan, CEO of Accelerite, explored the challenges in deploying, managing, and getting adoption for a private cloud within an enterprise. What are the key differences between wh...
Jul. 1, 2016 09:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,178
Ask someone to architect an Internet of Things (IoT) solution and you are guaranteed to see a reference to the cloud. This would lead you to believe that IoT requires the cloud to exist. However, there are many IoT use cases where the cloud is not feasible or desirable. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Dave McCarthy, Director of Products at Bsquare Corporation, will discuss the strategies that exist to extend intelligence directly to IoT devices and sensors, freeing them from the constraints of ...
Jul. 1, 2016 09:12 AM EDT Reads: 247
The IoT is changing the way enterprises conduct business. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Eric Hoffman, Vice President at EastBanc Technologies, discussed how businesses can gain an edge over competitors by empowering consumers to take control through IoT. He cited examples such as a Washington, D.C.-based sports club that leveraged IoT and the cloud to develop a comprehensive booking system. He also highlighted how IoT can revitalize and restore outdated business models, making them profitable ...
Jul. 1, 2016 09:00 AM EDT Reads: 673
IoT offers a value of almost $4 trillion to the manufacturing industry through platforms that can improve margins, optimize operations & drive high performance work teams. By using IoT technologies as a foundation, manufacturing customers are integrating worker safety with manufacturing systems, driving deep collaboration and utilizing analytics to exponentially increased per-unit margins. However, as Benoit Lheureux, the VP for Research at Gartner points out, “IoT project implementers often ...
Jul. 1, 2016 08:45 AM EDT Reads: 792
When people aren’t talking about VMs and containers, they’re talking about serverless architecture. Serverless is about no maintenance. It means you are not worried about low-level infrastructural and operational details. An event-driven serverless platform is a great use case for IoT. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Animesh Singh, an STSM and Lead for IBM Cloud Platform and Infrastructure, will detail how to build a distributed serverless, polyglot, microservices framework using open source tec...
Jul. 1, 2016 08:30 AM EDT Reads: 784
The idea of comparing data in motion (at the sensor level) to data at rest (in a Big Data server warehouse) with predictive analytics in the cloud is very appealing to the industrial IoT sector. The problem Big Data vendors have, however, is access to that data in motion at the sensor location. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Scott Allen, CMO of FreeWave, discussed how as IoT is increasingly adopted by industrial markets, there is going to be an increased demand for sensor data from the outermos...
Jul. 1, 2016 08:00 AM EDT Reads: 558
CenturyLink has announced that application server solutions from GENBAND are now available as part of CenturyLink’s Networx contracts. The General Services Administration (GSA)’s Networx program includes the largest telecommunications contract vehicles ever awarded by the federal government. CenturyLink recently secured an extension through spring 2020 of its offerings available to federal government agencies via GSA’s Networx Universal and Enterprise contracts. GENBAND’s EXPERiUS™ Application...
Jul. 1, 2016 08:00 AM EDT Reads: 586
A strange thing is happening along the way to the Internet of Things, namely far too many devices to work with and manage. It has become clear that we'll need much higher efficiency user experiences that can allow us to more easily and scalably work with the thousands of devices that will soon be in each of our lives. Enter the conversational interface revolution, combining bots we can literally talk with, gesture to, and even direct with our thoughts, with embedded artificial intelligence, wh...
Jul. 1, 2016 07:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,322
"delaPlex is a software development company. We do team-based outsourcing development," explained Mark Rivers, COO and Co-founder of delaPlex Software, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 18th Cloud Expo, held June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY.
Jul. 1, 2016 07:15 AM EDT Reads: 730
"We work in the area of Big Data analytics and Big Data analytics is a very crowded space - you have Hadoop, ETL, warehousing, visualization and there's a lot of effort trying to get these tools to talk to each other," explained Mukund Deshpande, head of the Analytics practice at Accelerite, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 18th Cloud Expo, held June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY.
Jul. 1, 2016 12:30 AM EDT Reads: 771