|By PR Newswire||
|January 23, 2013 07:30 AM EST||
LOS CABOS, Mexico, Jan. 23, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Starwood Hotels and Resorts is forecasting an eight to ten percent increase in business at their Los Cabos resorts in 2013, crediting new development, infrastructure improvements and positive news for the forecasted upswing. The Sheraton Hacienda del Mar Golf & Spa Resort and The Westin Resort & Spa share their "top 10" travel trend predictions for what will drive the increased business:
- Access Draws More to Relax & Explore - It is getting easier all the time to get into and around Los Cabos. New nonstop flights added in mid-2012 from strong Los Cabos' tourist-drawing metropolitan areas such as Orange County Calif. (Airtran) and Chicago (Frontier) to Los Cabos International Airport (SJD) and additional nonstop service coming in 2013 from Denver (Airtran), San Diego and Dallas-Fort Worth (Spirit) are expected to entice even more new and repeat travelers. Additionally, a new $250 million four-lane highway that halves travel time between Los Cabos and the state capital, La Paz, and other infrastructure improvements have made driving the southern tip of the Baja California peninsula a breeze, increasing access and tourist interest in regional exploration.
- Service Goes Super Nova - With a steadily growing number of luxury resort properties on the scene, resorts are finding new ways to deliver superior guest experiences. Starwood Resorts Los Cabos, already lauded for their stellar service, have fully embraced the challenge of finding new ways to provide superior guest experiences that surprise and delight, such as from lauded Sheraton Hacienda del Mar Executive Chef Manuel de Luca and The Westin Resort & Spa Los Cabos Executive Chef Manuel Peruyero, who stroll the dining rooms daily to deliver personalized "star treatment" and specially-prepared dishes to guests.
- Sporting Appeal Builds - From golf tournaments and sports fishing to water sports, off road races and personal physical challenges, Los Cabos will play host to a plethora of sporting events in 2013. New this year, both Starwood Resorts will host guests visiting for The Ironman Los Cabos triathlon (March 17). Leading off the year and golf tournaments' schedule was the recent Puerto Los Cabos World Pro-Am. Off-road races include the Cabo 500 and Tecate Score Baja 1000. Water sports draws range from internationally renowned sport fishing challenges, such as Bisbee's Black & Blue Marlin Tournament, Tuna Jackpot, Los Cabos Billfish Tournament, Stars and Stripes Fishing and Golf Tournament, and SUP (Stand Up Paddleboard) Championships.
- Meetings Mania - The new, $100 million, state-of-the-art Los Cabos Convention Center, which hosted world leaders at the international G20 Summit in June 2012 as its inaugural event, has introduced 72,000 square feet of eco-friendly functional meeting and exhibition space to the region. The facility, which also hosted the first-ever Los Cabos International Film Festival in November 2012, is expected to encourage more regional event development and expand Los Cabos' abilities to effectively compete in the destination meetings and conventions business. In tandem with industry trends towards hybrid meetings and events, Starwood Resorts Los Cabos, with some of the largest and most varied meeting and event facilities, offer state-of-the-art IT, with HD video conferencing that enables in-house AV PSAV teams to provide coordinated interface with nearly a thousand PSAV-served hotels throughout the world.
- Rejuven-cations Reign - Along with private white sand beaches, dazzling poolside fun in the sun and world-class dining, more travelers to Los Cabos will seek their own havens for personal rejuvenation. Starwood's Sheraton Hacienda del Mar and The Westin Resort & Spa both offer, in addition to world-class spas and treatment packages, newly renovated and expanded gyms with workout programs and educational resources, as well as healthy dining alternatives, such as The Westin Resort & Spa, Los Cabos' SuperFoodsRx™ menus with nutrient-rich dishes and Sheraton Hacienda del Mar's under 500-calorie "Color Your Plate" selections.
- Trendy Weddings - Los Cabos will continue to attract destination weddings as more couples will flock the area for its uniquely beautiful setting, well-priced luxury dream wedding options with generous gifts of complimentary "extras" and discounts. Events staff at both the Sheraton Hacienda del Mar and The Westin Resort & Spa, Los Cabos note that more couples are looking for highly unique twists for their weddings, including a "trash the dress" trend that is rapidly growing in popularity as many brides are choosing to follow their wedding ceremony with a jump into the surf at the resorts or at Lover's Beach by the El Arco scenic rock-arch.
- More Family Gatherings - With the U.S. State Department lifting travel warnings to Los Cabos and other popular destinations in Mexico last November* and the ever-increasing wealth of cultural, arts, environmental and sports activities for all ages, more multi-generational families will find their way to Los Cabos to celebrate holidays, family occasions and in-tandem getaways. Both Sheraton Hacienda del Mar and The Westin Resort & Spa in Los Cabos offer amenities that cater to every family member and feature newly renovated Kids Club facilities.
- Culinary & Cultural Exchange - Noting increasing guest interest in cultural experiences and world cuisines, both Starwood Los Cabos resorts regularly host cultural festivals and events such as The Westin Resort & Spa's Oktoberfest, with traditional Swiss-German foods and alphorn music, and Sheraton Hacienda del Mar's Peruvian Food Festival, featuring internationally renowned Peruvian cuisine pioneer Jose Montes, executive chef at the Sheraton Lima Hotel & Convention Center. Returning March 9, the Sheraton will again host its Pan, Queso y Vino (Bread, Cheese and Wine Festival) to benefit local boys' home Casa Hogar.
- Wired for Work & Play - With rapidly expanding online access, social media sharing, mobile phone and apps use, more "working" vacationers will access wi-fi and, literally, set up office by the Sea of Cortez. At both Starwood Los Cabos' resorts, more social media fans will receive hotel and local news via Facebook and Twitter, and smart-phone users, in addition to handling bookings via mobile, will discover new regional resource apps such as the Los Cabos Mobile Guide, available at www.visitloscabos.travel.
- Los Cabos for Canines - More travelers will arrive with animal companions in tow, now that the Mexican government is permitting airlines to once again allow them in the cabin during flights to and from Mexico. (Check with your airline before booking for rules and restrictions, which vary and can change, particularly during hotter weather.) The Westin Resort & Spa is among the dog-friendliest luxury resorts in Los Cabos, where dogs may stay in-room and dine, al fresco with their families.
For more information on the Sheraton Hacienda del Mar Golf & Spa Resort, please call 52-624-145-8000 or visit www.sheratonloscabos.com. For more information on The Westin Resort & Spa, Los Cabos, please call 1-800-012-9229 or visit www.westinloscabos.com.
*According to U.S. State Dept. Mexico Travel Update, reported in San Francisco Chronicle/SFGate.com (Dec. 4, 2012).
About Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide, Inc.
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide, Inc. is one of the leading hotel and leisure companies in the world with 1,128 properties in nearly 100 countries and 154,000 employees at its owned and managed properties. Starwood is a fully integrated owner, operator and franchisor of hotels, resorts and residences with the following internationally renowned brands: St. Regis®, The Luxury Collection®, W®, Westin®, Le Méridien®, Sheraton®, Four Points® by Sheraton, Aloft®, and ElementSM. The Company boasts one of the industry's leading loyalty programs, Starwood Preferred Guest (SPG), allowing members to earn and redeem points for room stays, room upgrades and flights, with no blackout dates. Starwood also owns Starwood Vacation Ownership, Inc., a premier provider of world-class vacation experiences through villa-style resorts and privileged access to Starwood brands. For more information, please visit www.starwoodhotels.com.
SOURCE Starwood Hotels and Resorts
Code Halos - aka "digital fingerprints" - are the key organizing principle to understand a) how dumb things become smart and b) how to monetize this dynamic. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Robert Brown, AVP, Center for the Future of Work at Cognizant Technology Solutions, outlined research, analysis and recommendations from his recently published book on this phenomena on the way leading edge organizations like GE and Disney are unlocking the Internet of Things opportunity and what steps your organization should be taking to position itself for the next platform of digital competition.
Jan. 26, 2015 02:00 AM EST Reads: 2,718
In their session at @ThingsExpo, Shyam Varan Nath, Principal Architect at GE, and Ibrahim Gokcen, who leads GE's advanced IoT analytics, focused on the Internet of Things / Industrial Internet and how to make it operational for business end-users. Learn about the challenges posed by machine and sensor data and how to marry it with enterprise data. They also discussed the tips and tricks to provide the Industrial Internet as an end-user consumable service using Big Data Analytics and Industrial Cloud.
Jan. 26, 2015 01:00 AM EST Reads: 2,533
SYS-CON Media announced that Splunk, a provider of the leading software platform for real-time Operational Intelligence, has launched an ad campaign on Big Data Journal. Splunk software and cloud services enable organizations to search, monitor, analyze and visualize machine-generated big data coming from websites, applications, servers, networks, sensors and mobile devices. The ads focus on delivering ROI - how improved uptime delivered $6M in annual ROI, improving customer operations by mining large volumes of unstructured data, and how data tracking delivers uptime when it matters most.
Jan. 26, 2015 12:45 AM EST Reads: 3,471
SYS-CON Events announced today that ActiveState, the leading independent Cloud Foundry and Docker-based PaaS provider, has been named “Silver Sponsor” of SYS-CON's DevOps Summit New York, which will take place June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. ActiveState believes that enterprises gain a competitive advantage when they are able to quickly create, deploy and efficiently manage software solutions that immediately create business value, but they face many challenges that prevent them from doing so. The Company is uniquely positioned to help address these challenges thro...
Jan. 25, 2015 11:45 PM EST Reads: 1,787
The Industrial Internet revolution is now underway, enabled by connected machines and billions of devices that communicate and collaborate. The massive amounts of Big Data requiring real-time analysis is flooding legacy IT systems and giving way to cloud environments that can handle the unpredictable workloads. Yet many barriers remain until we can fully realize the opportunities and benefits from the convergence of machines and devices with Big Data and the cloud, including interoperability, data security and privacy.
Jan. 25, 2015 07:45 PM EST Reads: 2,337
SYS-CON Media announced that Cisco, a worldwide leader in IT that helps companies seize the opportunities of tomorrow, has launched a new ad campaign in Cloud Computing Journal. The ad campaign, a webcast titled 'Is Your Data Center Ready for the Application Economy?', focuses on the latest data center networking technologies, including SDN or ACI, and how customers are using SDN and ACI in their organizations to achieve business agility. The Cisco webcast is available on-demand.
Jan. 25, 2015 07:00 PM EST Reads: 1,265
IoT is still a vague buzzword for many people. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Mike Kavis, Vice President & Principal Cloud Architect at Cloud Technology Partners, discussed the business value of IoT that goes far beyond the general public's perception that IoT is all about wearables and home consumer services. He also discussed how IoT is perceived by investors and how venture capitalist access this space. Other topics discussed were barriers to success, what is new, what is old, and what the future may hold. Mike Kavis is Vice President & Principal Cloud Architect at Cloud Technology Pa...
Jan. 25, 2015 06:15 PM EST Reads: 3,813
Dale Kim is the Director of Industry Solutions at MapR. His background includes a variety of technical and management roles at information technology companies. While his experience includes work with relational databases, much of his career pertains to non-relational data in the areas of search, content management, and NoSQL, and includes senior roles in technical marketing, sales engineering, and support engineering. Dale holds an MBA from Santa Clara University, and a BA in Computer Science from the University of California, Berkeley.
Jan. 25, 2015 06:00 PM EST Reads: 3,020
The Internet of Things (IoT) is rapidly in the process of breaking from its heretofore relatively obscure enterprise applications (such as plant floor control and supply chain management) and going mainstream into the consumer space. More and more creative folks are interconnecting everyday products such as household items, mobile devices, appliances and cars, and unleashing new and imaginative scenarios. We are seeing a lot of excitement around applications in home automation, personal fitness, and in-car entertainment and this excitement will bleed into other areas. On the commercial side, m...
Jan. 25, 2015 06:00 PM EST Reads: 2,747
The Internet of Things (IoT) promises to evolve the way the world does business; however, understanding how to apply it to your company can be a mystery. Most people struggle with understanding the potential business uses or tend to get caught up in the technology, resulting in solutions that fail to meet even minimum business goals. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Jesse Shiah, CEO / President / Co-Founder of AgilePoint Inc., showed what is needed to leverage the IoT to transform your business. He discussed opportunities and challenges ahead for the IoT from a market and technical point of vie...
Jan. 25, 2015 04:30 PM EST Reads: 3,051
SYS-CON Events announced today that CodeFutures, a leading supplier of database performance tools, has been named a “Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9–11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York, NY. CodeFutures is an independent software vendor focused on providing tools that deliver database performance tools that increase productivity during database development and increase database performance and scalability during production.
Jan. 25, 2015 04:00 PM EST Reads: 1,586
Things are being built upon cloud foundations to transform organizations. This CEO Power Panel at 15th Cloud Expo, moderated by Roger Strukhoff, Cloud Expo and @ThingsExpo conference chair, addressed the big issues involving these technologies and, more important, the results they will achieve. Rodney Rogers, chairman and CEO of Virtustream; Brendan O'Brien, co-founder of Aria Systems, Bart Copeland, president and CEO of ActiveState Software; Jim Cowie, chief scientist at Dyn; Dave Wagstaff, VP and chief architect at BSQUARE Corporation; Seth Proctor, CTO of NuoDB, Inc.; and Andris Gailitis, C...
Jan. 25, 2015 04:00 PM EST Reads: 2,451
Today’s enterprise is being driven by disruptive competitive and human capital requirements to provide enterprise application access through not only desktops, but also mobile devices. To retrofit existing programs across all these devices using traditional programming methods is very costly and time consuming – often prohibitively so. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Jesse Shiah, CEO, President, and Co-Founder of AgilePoint Inc., discussed how you can create applications that run on all mobile devices as well as laptops and desktops using a visual drag-and-drop application – and eForms-buildi...
Jan. 25, 2015 03:00 PM EST Reads: 2,463
"People are a lot more knowledgeable about APIs now. There are two types of people who work with APIs - IT people who want to use APIs for something internal and the product managers who want to do something outside APIs for people to connect to them," explained Roberto Medrano, Executive Vice President at SOA Software, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at Cloud Expo, held Nov 4–6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Jan. 25, 2015 02:30 PM EST Reads: 2,267
Performance is the intersection of power, agility, control, and choice. If you value performance, and more specifically consistent performance, you need to look beyond simple virtualized compute. Many factors need to be considered to create a truly performant environment. In his General Session at 15th Cloud Expo, Harold Hannon, Sr. Software Architect at SoftLayer, discussed how to take advantage of a multitude of compute options and platform features to make cloud the cornerstone of your online presence.
Jan. 25, 2015 02:15 PM EST Reads: 2,887
Almost everyone sees the potential of Internet of Things but how can businesses truly unlock that potential. The key will be in the ability to discover business insight in the midst of an ocean of Big Data generated from billions of embedded devices via Systems of Discover. Businesses will also need to ensure that they can sustain that insight by leveraging the cloud for global reach, scale and elasticity.
Jan. 25, 2015 01:00 PM EST Reads: 3,788
“The age of the Internet of Things is upon us,” stated Thomas Svensson, senior vice-president and general manager EMEA, ThingWorx, “and working with forward-thinking companies, such as Elisa, enables us to deploy our leading technology so that customers can profit from complete, end-to-end solutions.” ThingWorx, a PTC® (Nasdaq: PTC) business and Internet of Things (IoT) platform provider, announced on Monday that Elisa, Finnish provider of mobile and fixed broadband subscriptions, will deploy ThingWorx® platform technology to enable a new Elisa IoT service in Finland and Estonia.
Jan. 25, 2015 11:00 AM EST Reads: 1,486
Advanced Persistent Threats (APTs) are increasing at an unprecedented rate. The threat landscape of today is drastically different than just a few years ago. Attacks are much more organized and sophisticated. They are harder to detect and even harder to anticipate. In the foreseeable future it's going to get a whole lot harder. Everything you know today will change. Keeping up with this changing landscape is already a daunting task. Your organization needs to use the latest tools, methods and expertise to guard against those threats. But will that be enough? In the foreseeable future attacks w...
Jan. 25, 2015 11:00 AM EST Reads: 2,882
As enterprises move to all-IP networks and cloud-based applications, communications service providers (CSPs) – facing increased competition from over-the-top providers delivering content via the Internet and independently of CSPs – must be able to offer seamless cloud-based communication and collaboration solutions that can scale for small, midsize, and large enterprises, as well as public sector organizations, in order to keep and grow market share. The latest version of Oracle Communications Unified Communications Suite gives CSPs the capability to do just that. In addition, its integration ...
Jan. 25, 2015 11:00 AM EST Reads: 2,826
From telemedicine to smart cars, digital homes and industrial monitoring, the explosive growth of IoT has created exciting new business opportunities for real time calls and messaging. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Ivelin Ivanov, CEO and Co-Founder of Telestax, shared some of the new revenue sources that IoT created for Restcomm – the open source telephony platform from Telestax. Ivelin Ivanov is a technology entrepreneur who founded Mobicents, an Open Source VoIP Platform, to help create, deploy, and manage applications integrating voice, video and data. He is the co-founder of TeleStax, a...
Jan. 25, 2015 10:45 AM EST Reads: 2,957