|By PR Newswire||
|January 22, 2013 03:00 PM EST||
DAYTON, Ohio, Jan. 22, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- To highlight the volunteer work of Teradata employees worldwide, Teradata Cares is awarding five Celebration of Caring Awards. Teradata (NYSE: TDC), the leading analytic data solutions company, has recognized the winners' efforts with $1,000 grants to the charities where they volunteer, and with crystal awards to the winners to commemorate their exemplary dedication to volunteer service.
A panel of 24 judges evaluated the Teradata Cares community relations volunteer program nominations. This is the fifth year of the Celebration of Caringawards.
NOTE to Editors and Readers: photos of award winners are available in the Teradata News Room
Mike Koehler, Teradata president and chief executive officer.
"We are pleased to honor our Celebration of Caring award winners for their service, dedication and compassion in making significant volunteer contributions in their neighborhoods. These winners uphold a core Teradata value of social responsibility by fostering a tighter connection between company and community."
Sherri Morgan, director of community relations, Teradata Corporation.
"We received many nominations for the Celebration of Caring awards for the outstanding public service contributions made by our employees. The remarkable commitment of these winners to building stronger communities is an inspiration to all of us.
Selected from Teradata's more than 10,000 employees worldwide, the 2012 Teradata Cares community relations volunteer program winners are:
- 2012 Americas Employee of the Year – Tammy Gorman, Cincinnati, Ohio. Gorman is a Court Appointed Special Advocate for abused and neglected children. In 2012, she volunteered more than 375 hours of child advocacy service on behalf of eight children across five biological families. Trained Advocates are sworn officers of the court and are appointed by judges to attend all court hearings relative to a child's case and to represent the best interest of the child to the court. As an Advocate for nearly four years, Gorman has advocated for more than 20 children who have no one to be their voice.
- 2012 EMEA Teradata Cares Employee of the Year – Maliha Elahi, Islamabad, Pakistan. Elahi conceptualized an idea to promote child education for girls at the same time encourage entrepreneurship in women living in poverty. She has dedicated more than 600 hours toward her efforts since 2010 and in May of 2012, Elahi was able to implement the education program. Now, 30 children in an impoverished area of Pakistan are in school. Further, the village woman who opened the school in her home has gained financial independence for the first time in her life.
- 2012 Asia-Pacific Teradata Cares Employee of the Year – Ganesh Arcot, Hyderabad, India. Arcot was motivated by a desire to give back to the Tagores Home New Era Institute in Secunderabad, Andhra Pradesh, India, where he was educated. As a volunteer with Annapurna, Arcot, and others he recruited from the Teradata Hyderabad office, renovated the rest rooms, repaired electrical wires, transformed the school computer lab, set up a new library, and led a committee to sponsor students from the school who lacked financial support. Arcot has been serving the volunteer organization since 2006 and during 2012 invested more than 350 volunteer hours.
- 2012 Teradata Cares Team of the Year – Teradata India Engineering Services Hyderabad, India. The Teradata India Engineering Services (TIES) Team focuses on education, medical, environmental and self-sustaining initiatives to help the community to help itself. More than 75 participants volunteered 1,800 hours in 2012. TIES volunteers sponsored faculty and education fees for an underprivileged school and donated books and backpacks with supplies to orphanages. The volunteers have also donated money for life-saving surgery and collected unused medicines to be redistributed to the needy. The team has also encouraged people to plant trees and recycle paper.
- 2012 Teradata Cares Office of the Year – San Diego, California – In 2012, San Diego office employees volunteered more than 2,400 hours. Employees have restored natural habitat in the San Dieguito River Park, donated 157 pints of blood to the San Diego Blood Bank, and mentored FIRST robotics teams by training students on engineering and programming concepts. The Women of Teradata San Diego chapter raised $1,800 in donations for the Boys & Girls Club's Holiday Adopt-a-Family program, volunteered in a day care program and awarded $1,000 college scholarships to three local high school seniors majoring in science, technology, engineering or math disciplines. Together, the San Diego office volunteers have touched more than 900 lives and yielded more than $8,700 in donations to non-profit organizations.
Photos of individual and team award winners
Read "Winners Of The 2012 Teradata Cares Celebration of Caring Awards," Vision 2.0 blog
See Maliha Elahi's project on YouTube or Facebook.
Additional details about Teradata Cares community relations
Teradata Corporation (NYSE: TDC) is the world's leading analytic data solutions company, focused on integrated data warehousing, big data analytics, and business applications. Teradata's innovative products and services deliver data integration and business insight to empower organizations to make the best decisions possible and achieve competitive advantage. Visit teradata.com for details.
Get to know Teradata:
Teradata is a trademark or registered trademark of Teradata Corporation in the United States and other countries.
SYS-CON Events announced today that HTBase will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. HTBase (Gartner 2016 Cool Vendor) delivers a Composable IT infrastructure solution architected for agility and increased efficiency. It turns compute, storage, and fabric into fluid pools of resources that are easily composed and re-composed to meet each application’s needs. With HTBase, companies can quickly prov...
Mar. 26, 2017 08:15 AM EDT Reads: 2,832
There are 66 million network cameras capturing terabytes of data. How did factories in Japan improve physical security at the facilities and improve employee productivity? Edge Computing reduces possible kilobytes of data collected per second to only a few kilobytes of data transmitted to the public cloud every day. Data is aggregated and analyzed close to sensors so only intelligent results need to be transmitted to the cloud. Non-essential data is recycled to optimize storage.
Mar. 26, 2017 08:15 AM EDT Reads: 2,946
"I think that everyone recognizes that for IoT to really realize its full potential and value that it is about creating ecosystems and marketplaces and that no single vendor is able to support what is required," explained Esmeralda Swartz, VP, Marketing Enterprise and Cloud at Ericsson, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at @ThingsExpo, held June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY.
Mar. 26, 2017 08:00 AM EDT Reads: 4,099
SYS-CON Events announced today that SoftLayer, an IBM Company, has been named “Gold Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 18th Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York, New York. SoftLayer, an IBM Company, provides cloud infrastructure as a service from a growing number of data centers and network points of presence around the world. SoftLayer’s customers range from Web startups to global enterprises.
Mar. 26, 2017 07:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,592
SYS-CON Events announced today that IoT Now has been named “Media Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 6–8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. IoT Now explores the evolving opportunities and challenges facing CSPs, and it passes on some lessons learned from those who have taken the first steps in next-gen IoT services.
Mar. 26, 2017 03:30 AM EDT Reads: 3,832
SYS-CON Events announced today that Interoute, owner-operator of one of Europe's largest networks and a global cloud services platform, has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 20th Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017 at the Javits Center in New York, New York. Interoute is the owner-operator of one of Europe's largest networks and a global cloud services platform which encompasses 12 data centers, 14 virtual data centers and 31 colocation centers, with connections to 195 add...
Mar. 26, 2017 03:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,009
SYS-CON Events announced today that MobiDev, a client-oriented software development company, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, and the 21st International Cloud Expo®, which will take place October 31-November 2, 2017, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. MobiDev is a software company that develops and delivers turn-key mobile apps, websites, web services, and complex softw...
Mar. 26, 2017 01:45 AM EDT Reads: 3,713
DevOps is often described as a combination of technology and culture. Without both, DevOps isn't complete. However, applying the culture to outdated technology is a recipe for disaster; as response times grow and connections between teams are delayed by technology, the culture will die. A Nutanix Enterprise Cloud has many benefits that provide the needed base for a true DevOps paradigm.
Mar. 26, 2017 12:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,887
What sort of WebRTC based applications can we expect to see over the next year and beyond? One way to predict development trends is to see what sorts of applications startups are building. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Arin Sime, founder of WebRTC.ventures, will discuss the current and likely future trends in WebRTC application development based on real requests for custom applications from real customers, as well as other public sources of information,
Mar. 26, 2017 12:15 AM EDT Reads: 742
Keeping pace with advancements in software delivery processes and tooling is taxing even for the most proficient organizations. Point tools, platforms, open source and the increasing adoption of private and public cloud services requires strong engineering rigor - all in the face of developer demands to use the tools of choice. As Agile has settled in as a mainstream practice, now DevOps has emerged as the next wave to improve software delivery speed and output. To make DevOps work, organization...
Mar. 26, 2017 12:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,732
As businesses adopt functionalities in cloud computing, it’s imperative that IT operations consistently ensure cloud systems work correctly – all of the time, and to their best capabilities. In his session at @BigDataExpo, Bernd Harzog, CEO and founder of OpsDataStore, will present an industry answer to the common question, “Are you running IT operations as efficiently and as cost effectively as you need to?” He will expound on the industry issues he frequently came up against as an analyst, and...
Mar. 26, 2017 12:00 AM EDT Reads: 4,128
Apache Hadoop is emerging as a distributed platform for handling large and fast incoming streams of data. Predictive maintenance, supply chain optimization, and Internet-of-Things analysis are examples where Hadoop provides the scalable storage, processing, and analytics platform to gain meaningful insights from granular data that is typically only valuable from a large-scale, aggregate view. One architecture useful for capturing and analyzing streaming data is the Lambda Architecture, represent...
Mar. 25, 2017 08:45 PM EDT Reads: 6,020
My team embarked on building a data lake for our sales and marketing data to better understand customer journeys. This required building a hybrid data pipeline to connect our cloud CRM with the new Hadoop Data Lake. One challenge is that IT was not in a position to provide support until we proved value and marketing did not have the experience, so we embarked on the journey ourselves within the product marketing team for our line of business within Progress. In his session at @BigDataExpo, Sum...
Mar. 25, 2017 08:45 PM EDT Reads: 2,794
Things are changing so quickly in IoT that it would take a wizard to predict which ecosystem will gain the most traction. In order for IoT to reach its potential, smart devices must be able to work together. Today, there are a slew of interoperability standards being promoted by big names to make this happen: HomeKit, Brillo and Alljoyn. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Adam Justice, vice president and general manager of Grid Connect, will review what happens when smart devices don’t work togethe...
Mar. 25, 2017 06:15 PM EDT Reads: 2,574
SYS-CON Events announced today that Ocean9will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Ocean9 provides cloud services for Backup, Disaster Recovery (DRaaS) and instant Innovation, and redefines enterprise infrastructure with its cloud native subscription offerings for mission critical SAP workloads.
Mar. 25, 2017 05:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,958
In his session at @ThingsExpo, Eric Lachapelle, CEO of the Professional Evaluation and Certification Board (PECB), will provide an overview of various initiatives to certifiy the security of connected devices and future trends in ensuring public trust of IoT. Eric Lachapelle is the Chief Executive Officer of the Professional Evaluation and Certification Board (PECB), an international certification body. His role is to help companies and individuals to achieve professional, accredited and worldw...
Mar. 25, 2017 04:00 PM EDT Reads: 548
SYS-CON Events announced today that Technologic Systems Inc., an embedded systems solutions company, will exhibit at SYS-CON's @ThingsExpo, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Technologic Systems is an embedded systems company with headquarters in Fountain Hills, Arizona. They have been in business for 32 years, helping more than 8,000 OEM customers and building over a hundred COTS products that have never been discontinued. Technologic Systems’ pr...
Mar. 25, 2017 01:45 PM EDT Reads: 3,312
SYS-CON Events announced today that CA Technologies has been named “Platinum Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, and the 21st International Cloud Expo®, which will take place October 31-November 2, 2017, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. CA Technologies helps customers succeed in a future where every business – from apparel to energy – is being rewritten by software. From ...
Mar. 25, 2017 01:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,748
The taxi industry never saw Uber coming. Startups are a threat to incumbents like never before, and a major enabler for startups is that they are instantly “cloud ready.” If innovation moves at the pace of IT, then your company is in trouble. Why? Because your data center will not keep up with frenetic pace AWS, Microsoft and Google are rolling out new capabilities In his session at 20th Cloud Expo, Don Browning, VP of Cloud Architecture at Turner, will posit that disruption is inevitable for c...
Mar. 25, 2017 01:15 PM EDT Reads: 2,056
SYS-CON Events announced today that Cloudistics, an on-premises cloud computing company, has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Cloudistics delivers a complete public cloud experience with composable on-premises infrastructures to medium and large enterprises. Its software-defined technology natively converges network, storage, compute, virtualization, and management into a ...
Mar. 25, 2017 12:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,906