|By PR Newswire||
|January 16, 2013 12:01 PM EST||
NEW YORK, Jan. 16, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- "The best CEOs I work with are always learning," says Stephen Miles, founder and chief executive of The Miles Group. "The certainties of today – whether it's relying on a particular business model or banking on a 'category killer' or operating under a particular regulatory framework – can be up-ended and disrupted tomorrow. Corporate chiefs who internalize this reality are best equipped to steer their companies through disruption."
As a coach to CEOs and boards worldwide, Mr. Miles asks executives and directors to regularly examine their own leadership style – to see what is working and what is not. Four questions for leaders to consider this year are:
1. Are you enrolling your employees – or conscripting them? "The command-and-control leadership framework has tremendous strengths, which is why the military has employed it forever. In particular, it can deliver outstanding results in high stress situations. But outside of those situations, leaders need to go beyond this 'conscription' model to 'enroll' their teams and organizations.
"Effective enrollment – through engagement, clarity of strategy, and communication – is a powerful retention tool. Compensation will always matter, but feeling sufficiently enrolled in the mission of an organization leads employees to go the extra mile and do the additional work needed to achieve the mission."
- Connect company strategy with individual tasks: "Having a clear and simple strategy that is unifying and translates into something that employees throughout the organization can buy in to, understand and repeat day-in and day-out will create a multiplying effect on productivity and results."
- Bring in the "power brokers" within the team or organization: "Engaging both the formal and informal influencers early will have a multiplying effect as these people can act as disciples and 'preach' your mission."
- Ensure that you are using all of the communication channels available to you: "Make sure that you are reaching employees at all of the effective touchpoints – including through newer communications and appropriate social media tools. A multi-channel approach is required to reach all generations working inside companies today."
2. Is your role mastery leading to complacency? "When a CEO enters the top role for the first time or joins a new company (or both), the discomfort with being new causes the CEO to ask more questions, double check and triangulate information, and seek out others' opinions. For the vast majority of people, discomfort creates an accelerated learning environment. Over time, the CEO finds his feet and gradually gains greater confidence. This, combined with a natural inclination to become efficient (and the resulting lack of 'diligence and inspection') means that leaders tend to start asking fewer questions, verifying less, and making more assumptions. This is the paradox of 'role mastery.' As one's confidence level goes up, one's discomfort in the role goes down – until that 'oh sh*t!' moment when a negative surprise leads back to being uncomfortable again."
- Assemble the "uncomfortable team": "Building a team around you that is excellent and diverse will increase the likelihood of debate and avoid a rubber-stamp and group-think mentality on issues. Make sure the team has a safe and supportive environment for discussion and debate, and, if you are not getting it, jump in and play devil's advocate."
- Listen for content: "Have the patience to listen for content versus confirmation, and continue to triangulate multiple data sources. This means you are asking questions and engaging on the topic instead of trying to win the interaction and move on."
3. Are you tolerating mediocrity? "The disease of 'generalized mediocrity' is rampant in companies today. Mediocrity is insidious and tends to be tolerated a long time because it is not extreme in any way – it becomes hard to pinpoint exactly what the issue is. Too many executives tolerate unprepared people, poor work products, and anecdotal information, which all lead to wasted time and unnecessary meetings and follow-up. This is just not acceptable.
"Eliminating mediocrity requires high levels of engagement, discipline, follow-through, and openness to tension. It can also call for CEOs to diagnose in themselves when they are compensating or not asking for things because that just becomes easier. Setting very high standards, not just for oneself, but for every single person the CEO engages with, is the important first step (CEOs spend the majority of their time in meetings so they need to be highly productive). If the CEO is leading a meeting, assigning project work, or reviewing a business, the preparation and the quality of the thinking and work that goes into the pre-reads, and then the engagement, needs to be high.
"Leaders must set and communicate the standard – and then be disciplined enough to hold to it, even if it means stopping a presentation because the inputs are not high enough quality or the presenter has not adequately prepared, or canceling a meeting if the preparatory materials came in too late and substandard. In order to ferret out habitually average people, CEOs need to use a set of processes and tools that they are relentless and uncompromising on."
- Set expectations high for preparation: "Make it mandatory that 'pre-reads' for meetings be well thought-out and data-driven (vs. anecdotal) X number of days before a meeting. Jeff Bezos at Amazon is famous for having executives write a well-constructed and thought-out white paper (no more than six pages) that the entire executive team sits and reads together and then discusses and debates. The white paper helps eliminate any 'presentation bias' so form never wins over substance."
- Demand accountability during and after meetings: "Set the expectation that everyone is expected to contribute, and train your executives to build on a point and be additive, versus simply restating points that have already been made. Always ensure minutes are taken, complete with assigned accountabilities for follow-up. Ensure that you assign the 'Directly Responsible Person' for each action item – and then manage your 'DRPs.'"
4. Do you know when to be a "field general" vs. a "Pentagon general"? "2013, just like the year before it, will demand flexibility from CEOs. No matter what the size of your business, different situations call for different styles of leadership, and each has its time and place:
"A 'field general' role teaches someone to lead from the front, often in very operational situations that require ruthless focus and prioritization. This style is about strong decision-making abilities 'in the field' and being willing and able to make decisions with speed and imperfect information. A field general typically utilizes more of a directive approach involving smaller, but very focused teams. There is often a clean 'mission,' and these leaders reach down and touch a lot of the organization.
"Being a 'Pentagon general' is when you are making the strategic decisions that often are less reversible – you have to think through the second- and third- order effects." It is about slowing down and managing to an outcome – even if the route to get there is a zigzag versus drawing the straightest line between point A and point B. It's about understanding your direct and indirect constituencies and what is in it for them. What are the trade-offs you are willing to make – and what are you not willing to give up on? It is also about dealing with higher levels of ambiguity. Are you able to formulate a point of view when there is no right or wrong answer? A Pentagon general utilizes those around him/her as true advisors who can help shape their thought process, and they triangulate this information for the purpose of making more informed decisions and having a generally broader perspective.
"Many CEOs excel at one leadership style, but the trick is to be able to integrate both into one's leadership process."
- Recognize the way you tend to lead: "Reflecting on your own leadership style can explain a great deal about how you are motivating people in different situations, and where there might be room for improvement."
- Push your comfort level with a leadership style that isn't 'yours': "If you tend to lead at a 'field general' level, consider a more strategic, long-term approach for steering the company into the future. If you are more of a 'Pentagon general,' be sure to step into a more operational, 'field general' approach when the situation calls for it, as your hands-on leadership will be required. The key is to understand your own foundational approach and then have cues to identify when you are in a field versus a Pentagon decision so that you can 'go to manual' and use the most effective approach for that situation."
Named by Bloomberg Businessweek as "the rising star of CEO consulting," Stephen A. Miles is the founder and CEO of The Miles Group, which develops talent strategies for organizations, cultivates high-performing individuals and teams, and ensures effective leadership transitions through readiness coaching and succession.
SOURCE The Miles Group
The Internet of Things is clearly many things: data collection and analytics, wearables, Smart Grids and Smart Cities, the Industrial Internet, and more. Cool platforms like Arduino, Raspberry Pi, Intel's Galileo and Edison, and a diverse world of sensors are making the IoT a great toy box for developers in all these areas. In this Power Panel at @ThingsExpo, moderated by Conference Chair Roger Strukhoff, panelists discussed what things are the most important, which will have the most profound...
Jun. 1, 2016 03:15 AM EDT Reads: 3,342
The IoTs will challenge the status quo of how IT and development organizations operate. Or will it? Certainly the fog layer of IoT requires special insights about data ontology, security and transactional integrity. But the developmental challenges are the same: People, Process and Platform. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Craig Sproule, CEO of Metavine, will demonstrate how to move beyond today's coding paradigm and share the must-have mindsets for removing complexity from the development proc...
Jun. 1, 2016 01:30 AM EDT Reads: 2,054
SYS-CON Events announced today that EastBanc Technologies will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. EastBanc Technologies has been working at the frontier of technology since 1999. Today, the firm provides full-lifecycle software development delivering flexible technology solutions that seamlessly integrate with existing systems – whether on premise or cloud. EastBanc Technologies partners with p...
Jun. 1, 2016 12:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,535
SYS-CON Events announced today that MangoApps will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. MangoApps provides modern company intranets and team collaboration software, allowing workers to stay connected and productive from anywhere in the world and from any device. For more information, please visit https://www.mangoapps.com/.
Jun. 1, 2016 12:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,258
SYS-CON Events announced today that Super Micro Computer, Inc., a global leader in Embedded and IoT solutions, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Supermicro (NASDAQ: SMCI), the leading innovator in high-performance, high-efficiency server technology, is a premier provider of advanced server Building Block Solutions® for Data Center, Cloud Computing, Enterprise IT, Hadoop/Big Data, HPC and ...
May. 31, 2016 11:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,065
18th Cloud Expo, taking place June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. Cloud computing is now being embraced by a majority of enterprises of all sizes. Yesterday's debate about public vs. private has transformed into the reality of hybrid cloud: a recent survey shows that 74% of enterprises have a hybrid cloud strategy. Meanwhile, 94% of enterprises are using some...
May. 31, 2016 11:00 PM EDT Reads: 3,363
SYS-CON Events announced today that IBM Cloud Data Services has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 18th Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. IBM Cloud Data Services offers a portfolio of integrated, best-of-breed cloud data services for developers focused on mobile computing and analytics use cases.
May. 31, 2016 10:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,875
SYS-CON Events announced today Object Management Group® has been named “Media Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7–9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, and the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
May. 31, 2016 10:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,778
Cloud computing delivers on-demand resources that provide businesses with flexibility and cost-savings. The challenge in moving workloads to the cloud has been the cost and complexity of ensuring the initial and ongoing security and regulatory (PCI, HIPAA, FFIEC) compliance across private and public clouds. Manual security compliance is slow, prone to human error, and represents over 50% of the cost of managing cloud applications. Determining how to automate cloud security compliance is critical...
May. 31, 2016 09:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,159
The Internet of Things (IoT) is growing rapidly by extending current technologies, products and networks. By 2020, Cisco estimates there will be 50 billion connected devices. Gartner has forecast revenues of over $300 billion, just to IoT suppliers. Now is the time to figure out how you’ll make money – not just create innovative products. With hundreds of new products and companies jumping into the IoT fray every month, there’s no shortage of innovation. Despite this, McKinsey/VisionMobile data...
May. 31, 2016 07:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,925
WebRTC is bringing significant change to the communications landscape that will bridge the worlds of web and telephony, making the Internet the new standard for communications. Cloud9 took the road less traveled and used WebRTC to create a downloadable enterprise-grade communications platform that is changing the communication dynamic in the financial sector. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Leo Papadopoulos, CTO of Cloud9, will discuss the importance of WebRTC and how it enables companies to fo...
May. 31, 2016 04:45 PM EDT Reads: 2,677
"What we see what happens when you have a completely networked society and the potential to now drive the value creation and the collaboration and the ecosystems that are possible when you start to be able to connect people and industries together in ways that have never been possible before," explained Esmeralda Swartz, VP of Marketing Enterprise & Cloud at Ericsson, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at @ThingsExpo, held November 3-5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
May. 31, 2016 04:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,930
SYS-CON Events announced today that ContentMX, the marketing technology and services company with a singular mission to increase engagement and drive more conversations for enterprise, channel and SMB technology marketers, has been named “Sponsor & Exhibitor Lounge Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 18th Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, New York. “CloudExpo is a great opportunity to start a conversation with new prospects, but what happens after the...
May. 31, 2016 02:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,515
The IoT is changing the way enterprises conduct business. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Eric Hoffman, Vice President at EastBanc Technologies, discuss how businesses can gain an edge over competitors by empowering consumers to take control through IoT. We'll cite examples such as a Washington, D.C.-based sports club that leveraged IoT and the cloud to develop a comprehensive booking system. He'll also highlight how IoT can revitalize and restore outdated business models, making them profitable...
May. 31, 2016 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 3,163
Customer experience has become a competitive differentiator for companies, and it’s imperative that brands seamlessly connect the customer journey across all platforms. With the continued explosion of IoT, join us for a look at how to build a winning digital foundation in the connected era – today and in the future. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Chris Nguyen, Group Product Marketing Manager at Adobe, will discuss how to successfully leverage mobile, rapidly deploy content, capture real-time d...
May. 31, 2016 01:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,820
What a difference a year makes. Organizations aren’t just talking about IoT possibilities, it is now baked into their core business strategy. With IoT, billions of devices generating data from different companies on different networks around the globe need to interact. From efficiency to better customer insights to completely new business models, IoT will turn traditional business models upside down. In the new customer-centric age, the key to success is delivering critical services and apps wit...
May. 31, 2016 12:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,440
As cloud and storage projections continue to rise, the number of organizations moving to the cloud is escalating and it is clear cloud storage is here to stay. However, is it secure? Data is the lifeblood for government entities, countries, cloud service providers and enterprises alike and losing or exposing that data can have disastrous results. There are new concepts for data storage on the horizon that will deliver secure solutions for storing and moving sensitive data around the world. ...
May. 31, 2016 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,528
Join us at Cloud Expo | @ThingsExpo 2016 – June 7-9 at the Javits Center in New York City and November 1-3 at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA – and deliver your unique message in a way that is striking and unforgettable by taking advantage of SYS-CON's unmatched high-impact, result-driven event / media packages.
May. 31, 2016 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,652
In his keynote at 18th Cloud Expo, Andrew Keys, Co-Founder of ConsenSys Enterprise, will provide an overview of the evolution of the Internet and the Database and the future of their combination – the Blockchain. Andrew Keys is Co-Founder of ConsenSys Enterprise. He comes to ConsenSys Enterprise with capital markets, technology and entrepreneurial experience. Previously, he worked for UBS investment bank in equities analysis. Later, he was responsible for the creation and distribution of life ...
May. 31, 2016 11:45 AM EDT Reads: 2,163
SYS-CON Events announced today that MobiDev will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. MobiDev is a software company that develops and delivers turn-key mobile apps, websites, web services, and complex software systems for startups and enterprises. Since 2009 it has grown from a small group of passionate engineers and business managers to a full-scale mobile software company with over 200 develope...
May. 31, 2016 10:15 AM EDT Reads: 2,962