|By PR Newswire||
|January 14, 2013 06:04 PM EST||
CHICAGO, Jan. 14, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Trib Nation kicks off 2013 with a robust schedule of live events in January and February. More than a dozen events are scheduled over the next two months as part of the Trib Nation Events series – Chicago Forward, Press Pass, Printers Row and TribU. Highlights include:
- Press Pass with John Kass on Jan. 15 (sold-out)
- Chicago Forward with Mayor Emanuel on Jan. 16
- Chicago Live! at Ravinia with Billy Corgan on Feb. 14
The diverse slate of live events aims to capture the Chicago experience, providing access to Tribune newsmakers and newsroom personalities and offering Tribune readers forums for professional and personal learning and development. Events run the gamut from news to politics, public policy, entertainment, religion, sports, digital skills and much more.
Chicago Forward: Conversations about the Future
The first Chicago Forward of the new year is a conversation about Chicago between Mayor Rahm Emanuel and Chicago Tribune editorial page editor Bruce Dold at the James Simpson Theater at the Field Museum on Jan. 16 at 6 p.m. Emanuel and Dold will discuss schools, culture, safety, jobs, finances and the future of the city as well as state and national politics. They will also address questions from the audience and a reception will follow. Tickets are $20 (all of the ticket sales for this event benefit the Chicago Tribune Foundation, which funds programs in low-income communities to promote education, access to the arts for youth and journalism programs).
The Chicago Forward series invites policymakers, government and business leaders and influencers to dissect and debate the policies and issues shaping the future of Chicago. Each panel discussion examines critical points of view on topics of public interest and encourages audience questions and comments. This marks Mayor Emanuel's second visit to Chicago Forward; he previously sat with Dold and Governor Quinn to discuss the state of the city and the state at Chicago Forward in April 2012.
Designed to spotlight the work of the newsroom, Press Pass events bring Chicago Tribune to life by offering readers access to favorite Tribune columnists, critics and beat writers with wide-ranging opportunities to hear the stories behind the stories. Press Pass creates a dialogue that aims to dig deeper on the issues and showcase the stories that impact readers most. The programming zeroes in on the most popular sections of the paper. To that end, four Press Pass events are scheduled over the next two months. New events will be announced soon.
- Press Pass: Breakfast and Politics with John Kass on Jan. 15 is already sold-out. The popular Tribune columnist will lead a lively early-morning discussion about Chicago politics and what it means to have President Obama in the White House for a second term. Produced in partnership with Elmhurst College, the event includes breakfast at 7:30 a.m. at the school's Frick Center.
- On Jan. 17 at 6:15 p.m., Chicago Tribune and the Illinois Holocaust Museum and Education Center present Press Pass: 'Skokie: Invaded, But Not Conquered.' This world premiere of the film marks the 35th anniversary of the attempted neo-Nazi rally in suburban Skokie and documents the work of Holocaust survivors-turned-activists. Tribune arts critic Howard Reich moderates a panel discussion with filmmakers Rick Hirschhaut and Todd Whitman following the screening. This event is free — reservations are required. For more information, directions and to make a reservation visit www.ilholocaustmuseum.org.
- In anticipation of the Super Bowl, Trib Nation hosts Press Pass: 'Head Games': Concussions and their Impact on the NFL on Jan. 30 at the Tribune Tower. Tribune reporter Nina Metz will introduce a screening of the documentary, "Head Games," directed by Steve James ("Hoop Dreams"). The screening will be followed by a discussion with Chicago Tribune sports editor Tim Bannon and other sports experts to address whether professional and youth sports leagues are taking head injuries seriously enough — and how this may change the face of contact sports in dramatic ways. Tickets are $15.
- A very special Chicago Live! is planned for Valentine's Day, Feb. 14. Reporter, columnist and radio host Rick Kogan and The Second City will hit the road again, this time due north for a Chicago-style Valentine's Day extravaganza at Ravinia's indoor Bennett Gordon Theater. Smashing Pumpkins frontman Billy Corgan returns to Chicago Live! along with bestselling author Rebecca Skloot, Grace chef/owner Curtis Duffy and Tribune advice columnist Amy Dickinson.
Recently reorganized under the Press Pass banner as a quarterly program, Chicago Live! is now bigger, better and available to more Chicagoans. Chicago Live! is recorded for WGN-AM radio and will be broadcast on Saturday, Feb. 16 at 11 p.m. Tickets are $25 and on sale now. 7 p.m. Ravinia, Bennett Gordon Hall, 201 St. Johns Ave., Highland Park.
Monthly Printers Row live author events are a key feature of the larger Printers Row literary membership program, which also includes the subscription-only weekly Printers Row Journal, weekly fiction inserts and the annual, free Printers Row Lit Fest, scheduled for June 8 and 9 in Chicago's South Loop area. Printers Row author events are open to the public.
- The Tribune will host Printers Row Short Story Night on Jan. 23. Join past Nelson Algren Short Story Prize award winners as they kick off the 2013 contest with a stimulating evening focusing on the process of creative writing. Tribune literary editor Elizabeth Taylor will guide the discussion with winners Baird Harper, David Michael Kaplan, Billy Lombardo, Joe Meno and Jeremy Wilson. There will be ample opportunities for questions about writing challenges and conundrums. The event will be held at the Tribune Tower. Tickets are $15.
- On Jan. 29 at Printers Row: Lawrence Wright, Tribune religion reporter Manya Brachear will interview the Pulitzer Prize-winning author about his seventh book, "Going Clear: Scientology, Hollywood and the Prison of Belief." Wright's latest book explores the inner workings of Scientology and its two leaders, L. Ron Hubbard and his successor, David Miscavige. Tickets are $15 for the event hosted at the Tribune Tower at 7 p.m. Wright will meet Printers Row members at a special reception at 6:30 p.m.
- Press Pass: Jamaica Kincaid on Feb. 21 welcomes Kincaid to the Tribune Tower for her only Chicago appearance in support of her first novel in 10 years, "See Now Then." Caribbean writer Kincaid meshes autobiography with archetypes as the metaphysical tale of the unraveling of an unlikely marriage turns into a fable of love, betrayal and loss. Tickets are $15 and the event starts at 7 p.m. Kincaid will meet Printers Row members at a special reception at 6:30 p.m.
TribU begins 2013 with an ambitious lineup of classes, seminars and workshops. TribU programs are taught by Tribune staff and industry experts and focus on professional development and personal enrichment.
- The TribU digital courses scheduled include Podcasting 101: Produce, Publish, Promote on Jan. 29 and the three-part series on How to Create Your Own Blog Feb. 5, 19 and 26. On Feb. 20, Tribune photographs will lead TribU: Your Photography Portfolio. For detailed descriptions and pricing information please visit tribnation.com/events.
- On Jan. 21, 28 and Feb. 24 join Tribune reporters and editors in a three-part class TribU: Current Events. This current-events discussion, led by Tribune business planning editor Andrea Hanis, covers the news of the moment across a variety of print, broadcast, digital and social media sources. Topics in this three-part class will vary but may include anything from breaking news to presidential politics to Chicago civic issues. Participants will meet at the Tribune Tower and hear from reporters and editors, including columnists Eric Zorn and Melissa Harris, to discuss how to manage the flow of information and share thoughts and questions on how the news is covered. Ticket are $100 for the three-part series.
The 2013 Trib Nation calendar will be updated on an ongoing basis. Additional details and links to purchase tickets for Trib Nation program are available at tribnation.com/events. Tribune digitalPLUS members are also eligible for a limited number of free tickets to all Trib Nation events. To take advantage of event tickets and for more information visit members.chicagotribune.com.
About the Chicago Tribune
For 166 years, the Chicago Tribune has been a market-leading publication of the Tribune Company. Reaching five million readers each week in print, online and through radio, television and live events, the Tribune is known for its public service journalism and watchdog reporting. In 2010, the Tribune launched Trib Nation, a community outreach and audience engagement program that includes a broad menu of live events such as Press Pass, which focus on specialty coverage areas by critics and columnists; Chicago Forward, a series of public policy discussions; literary events including Printers Row, Lit Fest, and Literary Awards; and TribU classes and seminars for personal and professional enrichment.
SOURCE Chicago Tribune
With major technology companies and startups seriously embracing IoT strategies, now is the perfect time to attend @ThingsExpo 2016 in New York. Learn what is going on, contribute to the discussions, and ensure that your enterprise is as "IoT-Ready" as it can be! Internet of @ThingsExpo, taking place June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, New York, is co-located with 20th Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry p...
Apr. 25, 2017 06:15 PM EDT Reads: 896
SYS-CON Events announced today that Hitachi Data Systems, a wholly owned subsidiary of Hitachi LTD., will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City. Hitachi Data Systems (HDS) will be featuring the Hitachi Content Platform (HCP) portfolio. This is the industry’s only offering that allows organizations to bring together object storage, file sync and share, cloud storage gateways, and sophisticated search an...
Apr. 25, 2017 06:15 PM EDT Reads: 264
@GonzalezCarmen has been ranked the Number One Influencer and @ThingsExpo has been named the Number One Brand in the “M2M 2016: Top 100 Influencers and Brands” by Analytic. Onalytica analyzed tweets over the last 6 months mentioning the keywords M2M OR “Machine to Machine.” They then identified the top 100 most influential brands and individuals leading the discussion on Twitter.
Apr. 25, 2017 05:45 PM EDT Reads: 990
The Internet of Things is clearly many things: data collection and analytics, wearables, Smart Grids and Smart Cities, the Industrial Internet, and more. Cool platforms like Arduino, Raspberry Pi, Intel's Galileo and Edison, and a diverse world of sensors are making the IoT a great toy box for developers in all these areas. In this Power Panel at @ThingsExpo, moderated by Conference Chair Roger Strukhoff, panelists discussed what things are the most important, which will have the most profound e...
Apr. 25, 2017 05:15 PM EDT Reads: 2,165
@ThingsExpo has been named the Most Influential ‘Smart Cities - IIoT' Account and @BigDataExpo has been named fourteenth by Right Relevance (RR), which provides curated information and intelligence on approximately 50,000 topics. In addition, Right Relevance provides an Insights offering that combines the above Topics and Influencers information with real time conversations to provide actionable intelligence with visualizations to enable decision making. The Insights service is applicable to eve...
Apr. 25, 2017 04:45 PM EDT Reads: 2,632
The age of Digital Disruption is evolving into the next era – Digital Cohesion, an age in which applications securely self-assemble and deliver predictive services that continuously adapt to user behavior. Information from devices, sensors and applications around us will drive services seamlessly across mobile and fixed devices/infrastructure. This evolution is happening now in software defined services and secure networking. Four key drivers – Performance, Economics, Interoperability and Trust ...
Apr. 25, 2017 04:45 PM EDT Reads: 360
Multiple data types are pouring into IoT deployments. Data is coming in small packages as well as enormous files and data streams of many sizes. Widespread use of mobile devices adds to the total. In this power panel at @ThingsExpo, moderated by Conference Chair Roger Strukhoff, panelists will look at the tools and environments that are being put to use in IoT deployments, as well as the team skills a modern enterprise IT shop needs to keep things running, get a handle on all this data, and deli...
Apr. 25, 2017 04:30 PM EDT Reads: 2,289
SYS-CON Events announced today that Grape Up will exhibit at SYS-CON's 21st International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on Oct. 31 – Nov 2, 2017, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Grape Up is a software company specializing in cloud native application development and professional services related to Cloud Foundry PaaS. With five expert teams that operate in various sectors of the market across the U.S. and Europe, Grape Up works with a variety of customers from emergi...
Apr. 25, 2017 04:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,998
SYS-CON Events announced today that T-Mobile will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. As America's Un-carrier, T-Mobile US, Inc., is redefining the way consumers and businesses buy wireless services through leading product and service innovation. The Company's advanced nationwide 4G LTE network delivers outstanding wireless experiences to 67.4 million customers who are unwilling to compromise on ...
Apr. 25, 2017 04:00 PM EDT Reads: 942
SYS-CON Events announced today that CollabNet, a global leader in enterprise software development, release automation and DevOps solutions, will be a Bronze Sponsor of SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, taking place from June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. CollabNet offers a broad range of solutions with the mission of helping modern organizations deliver quality software at speed. The company’s latest innovation, the DevOps Lifecycle Manager (DLM), supports Value S...
Apr. 25, 2017 03:00 PM EDT Reads: 449
With billions of sensors deployed worldwide, the amount of machine-generated data will soon exceed what our networks can handle. But consumers and businesses will expect seamless experiences and real-time responsiveness. What does this mean for IoT devices and the infrastructure that supports them? More of the data will need to be handled at - or closer to - the devices themselves.
Apr. 25, 2017 02:45 PM EDT Reads: 511
Bert Loomis was a visionary. This general session will highlight how Bert Loomis and people like him inspire us to build great things with small inventions. In their general session at 19th Cloud Expo, Harold Hannon, Architect at IBM Bluemix, and Michael O'Neill, Strategic Business Development at Nvidia, discussed the accelerating pace of AI development and how IBM Cloud and NVIDIA are partnering to bring AI capabilities to "every day," on-demand. They also reviewed two "free infrastructure" pr...
Apr. 25, 2017 02:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,245
DevOps is often described as a combination of technology and culture. Without both, DevOps isn't complete. However, applying the culture to outdated technology is a recipe for disaster; as response times grow and connections between teams are delayed by technology, the culture will die. A Nutanix Enterprise Cloud has many benefits that provide the needed base for a true DevOps paradigm.
Apr. 25, 2017 02:30 PM EDT Reads: 532
Most technology leaders, contemporary and from the hardware era, are reshaping their businesses to do software in the hope of capturing value in IoT. Although IoT is relatively new in the market, it has already gone through many promotional terms such as IoE, IoX, SDX, Edge/Fog, Mist Compute, etc. Ultimately, irrespective of the name, it is about deriving value from independent software assets participating in an ecosystem as one comprehensive solution.
Apr. 25, 2017 01:45 PM EDT Reads: 323
New competitors, disruptive technologies, and growing expectations are pushing every business to both adopt and deliver new digital services. This ‘Digital Transformation’ demands rapid delivery and continuous iteration of new competitive services via multiple channels, which in turn demands new service delivery techniques – including DevOps. In this power panel at @DevOpsSummit 20th Cloud Expo, moderated by DevOps Conference Co-Chair Andi Mann, panelists will examine how DevOps helps to meet th...
Apr. 25, 2017 12:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,219
SYS-CON Events announced today that Hitachi, the leading provider the Internet of Things and Digital Transformation, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Hitachi Data Systems, a wholly owned subsidiary of Hitachi, Ltd., offers an integrated portfolio of services and solutions that enable digital transformation through enhanced data management, governance, mobility and analytics. We help globa...
Apr. 25, 2017 12:15 PM EDT Reads: 972
Five years ago development was seen as a dead-end career, now it’s anything but – with an explosion in mobile and IoT initiatives increasing the demand for skilled engineers. But apart from having a ready supply of great coders, what constitutes true ‘DevOps Royalty’? It’ll be the ability to craft resilient architectures, supportability, security everywhere across the software lifecycle. In his keynote at @DevOpsSummit at 20th Cloud Expo, Jeffrey Scheaffer, GM and SVP, Continuous Delivery Busine...
Apr. 25, 2017 10:30 AM EDT Reads: 656
SYS-CON Events announced today that SoftLayer, an IBM Company, has been named “Gold Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 18th Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York, New York. SoftLayer, an IBM Company, provides cloud infrastructure as a service from a growing number of data centers and network points of presence around the world. SoftLayer’s customers range from Web startups to global enterprises.
Apr. 25, 2017 10:15 AM EDT Reads: 2,105
The 20th International Cloud Expo has announced that its Call for Papers is open. Cloud Expo, to be held June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, brings together Cloud Computing, Big Data, Internet of Things, DevOps, Containers, Microservices and WebRTC to one location. With cloud computing driving a higher percentage of enterprise IT budgets every year, it becomes increasingly important to plant your flag in this fast-expanding business opportunity. Submit your speaking proposal ...
Apr. 25, 2017 10:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,007
In his keynote at @ThingsExpo, Chris Matthieu, Director of IoT Engineering at Citrix and co-founder and CTO of Octoblu, focused on building an IoT platform and company. He provided a behind-the-scenes look at Octoblu’s platform, business, and pivots along the way (including the Citrix acquisition of Octoblu).
Apr. 25, 2017 09:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,221