|By PR Newswire||
|January 14, 2013 06:04 PM EST||
CHICAGO, Jan. 14, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Trib Nation kicks off 2013 with a robust schedule of live events in January and February. More than a dozen events are scheduled over the next two months as part of the Trib Nation Events series – Chicago Forward, Press Pass, Printers Row and TribU. Highlights include:
- Press Pass with John Kass on Jan. 15 (sold-out)
- Chicago Forward with Mayor Emanuel on Jan. 16
- Chicago Live! at Ravinia with Billy Corgan on Feb. 14
The diverse slate of live events aims to capture the Chicago experience, providing access to Tribune newsmakers and newsroom personalities and offering Tribune readers forums for professional and personal learning and development. Events run the gamut from news to politics, public policy, entertainment, religion, sports, digital skills and much more.
Chicago Forward: Conversations about the Future
The first Chicago Forward of the new year is a conversation about Chicago between Mayor Rahm Emanuel and Chicago Tribune editorial page editor Bruce Dold at the James Simpson Theater at the Field Museum on Jan. 16 at 6 p.m. Emanuel and Dold will discuss schools, culture, safety, jobs, finances and the future of the city as well as state and national politics. They will also address questions from the audience and a reception will follow. Tickets are $20 (all of the ticket sales for this event benefit the Chicago Tribune Foundation, which funds programs in low-income communities to promote education, access to the arts for youth and journalism programs).
The Chicago Forward series invites policymakers, government and business leaders and influencers to dissect and debate the policies and issues shaping the future of Chicago. Each panel discussion examines critical points of view on topics of public interest and encourages audience questions and comments. This marks Mayor Emanuel's second visit to Chicago Forward; he previously sat with Dold and Governor Quinn to discuss the state of the city and the state at Chicago Forward in April 2012.
Designed to spotlight the work of the newsroom, Press Pass events bring Chicago Tribune to life by offering readers access to favorite Tribune columnists, critics and beat writers with wide-ranging opportunities to hear the stories behind the stories. Press Pass creates a dialogue that aims to dig deeper on the issues and showcase the stories that impact readers most. The programming zeroes in on the most popular sections of the paper. To that end, four Press Pass events are scheduled over the next two months. New events will be announced soon.
- Press Pass: Breakfast and Politics with John Kass on Jan. 15 is already sold-out. The popular Tribune columnist will lead a lively early-morning discussion about Chicago politics and what it means to have President Obama in the White House for a second term. Produced in partnership with Elmhurst College, the event includes breakfast at 7:30 a.m. at the school's Frick Center.
- On Jan. 17 at 6:15 p.m., Chicago Tribune and the Illinois Holocaust Museum and Education Center present Press Pass: 'Skokie: Invaded, But Not Conquered.' This world premiere of the film marks the 35th anniversary of the attempted neo-Nazi rally in suburban Skokie and documents the work of Holocaust survivors-turned-activists. Tribune arts critic Howard Reich moderates a panel discussion with filmmakers Rick Hirschhaut and Todd Whitman following the screening. This event is free — reservations are required. For more information, directions and to make a reservation visit www.ilholocaustmuseum.org.
- In anticipation of the Super Bowl, Trib Nation hosts Press Pass: 'Head Games': Concussions and their Impact on the NFL on Jan. 30 at the Tribune Tower. Tribune reporter Nina Metz will introduce a screening of the documentary, "Head Games," directed by Steve James ("Hoop Dreams"). The screening will be followed by a discussion with Chicago Tribune sports editor Tim Bannon and other sports experts to address whether professional and youth sports leagues are taking head injuries seriously enough — and how this may change the face of contact sports in dramatic ways. Tickets are $15.
- A very special Chicago Live! is planned for Valentine's Day, Feb. 14. Reporter, columnist and radio host Rick Kogan and The Second City will hit the road again, this time due north for a Chicago-style Valentine's Day extravaganza at Ravinia's indoor Bennett Gordon Theater. Smashing Pumpkins frontman Billy Corgan returns to Chicago Live! along with bestselling author Rebecca Skloot, Grace chef/owner Curtis Duffy and Tribune advice columnist Amy Dickinson.
Recently reorganized under the Press Pass banner as a quarterly program, Chicago Live! is now bigger, better and available to more Chicagoans. Chicago Live! is recorded for WGN-AM radio and will be broadcast on Saturday, Feb. 16 at 11 p.m. Tickets are $25 and on sale now. 7 p.m. Ravinia, Bennett Gordon Hall, 201 St. Johns Ave., Highland Park.
Monthly Printers Row live author events are a key feature of the larger Printers Row literary membership program, which also includes the subscription-only weekly Printers Row Journal, weekly fiction inserts and the annual, free Printers Row Lit Fest, scheduled for June 8 and 9 in Chicago's South Loop area. Printers Row author events are open to the public.
- The Tribune will host Printers Row Short Story Night on Jan. 23. Join past Nelson Algren Short Story Prize award winners as they kick off the 2013 contest with a stimulating evening focusing on the process of creative writing. Tribune literary editor Elizabeth Taylor will guide the discussion with winners Baird Harper, David Michael Kaplan, Billy Lombardo, Joe Meno and Jeremy Wilson. There will be ample opportunities for questions about writing challenges and conundrums. The event will be held at the Tribune Tower. Tickets are $15.
- On Jan. 29 at Printers Row: Lawrence Wright, Tribune religion reporter Manya Brachear will interview the Pulitzer Prize-winning author about his seventh book, "Going Clear: Scientology, Hollywood and the Prison of Belief." Wright's latest book explores the inner workings of Scientology and its two leaders, L. Ron Hubbard and his successor, David Miscavige. Tickets are $15 for the event hosted at the Tribune Tower at 7 p.m. Wright will meet Printers Row members at a special reception at 6:30 p.m.
- Press Pass: Jamaica Kincaid on Feb. 21 welcomes Kincaid to the Tribune Tower for her only Chicago appearance in support of her first novel in 10 years, "See Now Then." Caribbean writer Kincaid meshes autobiography with archetypes as the metaphysical tale of the unraveling of an unlikely marriage turns into a fable of love, betrayal and loss. Tickets are $15 and the event starts at 7 p.m. Kincaid will meet Printers Row members at a special reception at 6:30 p.m.
TribU begins 2013 with an ambitious lineup of classes, seminars and workshops. TribU programs are taught by Tribune staff and industry experts and focus on professional development and personal enrichment.
- The TribU digital courses scheduled include Podcasting 101: Produce, Publish, Promote on Jan. 29 and the three-part series on How to Create Your Own Blog Feb. 5, 19 and 26. On Feb. 20, Tribune photographs will lead TribU: Your Photography Portfolio. For detailed descriptions and pricing information please visit tribnation.com/events.
- On Jan. 21, 28 and Feb. 24 join Tribune reporters and editors in a three-part class TribU: Current Events. This current-events discussion, led by Tribune business planning editor Andrea Hanis, covers the news of the moment across a variety of print, broadcast, digital and social media sources. Topics in this three-part class will vary but may include anything from breaking news to presidential politics to Chicago civic issues. Participants will meet at the Tribune Tower and hear from reporters and editors, including columnists Eric Zorn and Melissa Harris, to discuss how to manage the flow of information and share thoughts and questions on how the news is covered. Ticket are $100 for the three-part series.
The 2013 Trib Nation calendar will be updated on an ongoing basis. Additional details and links to purchase tickets for Trib Nation program are available at tribnation.com/events. Tribune digitalPLUS members are also eligible for a limited number of free tickets to all Trib Nation events. To take advantage of event tickets and for more information visit members.chicagotribune.com.
About the Chicago Tribune
For 166 years, the Chicago Tribune has been a market-leading publication of the Tribune Company. Reaching five million readers each week in print, online and through radio, television and live events, the Tribune is known for its public service journalism and watchdog reporting. In 2010, the Tribune launched Trib Nation, a community outreach and audience engagement program that includes a broad menu of live events such as Press Pass, which focus on specialty coverage areas by critics and columnists; Chicago Forward, a series of public policy discussions; literary events including Printers Row, Lit Fest, and Literary Awards; and TribU classes and seminars for personal and professional enrichment.
SOURCE Chicago Tribune
A completely new computing platform is on the horizon. They’re called Microservers by some, ARM Servers by others, and sometimes even ARM-based Servers. No matter what you call them, Microservers will have a huge impact on the data center and on server computing in general. Although few people are familiar with Microservers today, their impact will be felt very soon. This is a new category of computing platform that is available today and is predicted to have triple-digit growth rates for some ...
Oct. 26, 2016 12:00 AM EDT Reads: 34,215
SYS-CON Events announced today that SoftNet Solutions will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. SoftNet Solutions specializes in Enterprise Solutions for Hadoop and Big Data. It offers customers the most open, robust, and value-conscious portfolio of solutions, services, and tools for the shortest route to success with Big Data. The unique differentiator is the ability to architect and ...
Oct. 26, 2016 12:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,034
The Internet of Things will challenge the status quo of how IT and development organizations operate. Or will it? Certainly the fog layer of IoT requires special insights about data ontology, security and transactional integrity. But the developmental challenges are the same: People, Process and Platform and how we integrate our thinking to solve complicated problems. In his session at 19th Cloud Expo, Craig Sproule, CEO of Metavine, will demonstrate how to move beyond today's coding paradigm ...
Oct. 26, 2016 12:00 AM EDT Reads: 3,843
Fifty billion connected devices and still no winning protocols standards. HTTP, WebSockets, MQTT, and CoAP seem to be leading in the IoT protocol race at the moment but many more protocols are getting introduced on a regular basis. Each protocol has its pros and cons depending on the nature of the communications. Does there really need to be only one protocol to rule them all? Of course not. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Chris Matthieu, co-founder and CTO of Octoblu, walk you through how Oct...
Oct. 26, 2016 12:00 AM EDT Reads: 3,186
Everyone knows that truly innovative companies learn as they go along, pushing boundaries in response to market changes and demands. What's more of a mystery is how to balance innovation on a fresh platform built from scratch with the legacy tech stack, product suite and customers that continue to serve as the business' foundation. In his General Session at 19th Cloud Expo, Michael Chambliss, Head of Engineering at ReadyTalk, will discuss why and how ReadyTalk diverted from healthy revenue an...
Oct. 25, 2016 11:45 PM EDT Reads: 2,987
In past @ThingsExpo presentations, Joseph di Paolantonio has explored how various Internet of Things (IoT) and data management and analytics (DMA) solution spaces will come together as sensor analytics ecosystems. This year, in his session at @ThingsExpo, Joseph di Paolantonio from DataArchon, will be adding the numerous Transportation areas, from autonomous vehicles to “Uber for containers.” While IoT data in any one area of Transportation will have a huge impact in that area, combining sensor...
Oct. 25, 2016 10:45 PM EDT Reads: 980
The Internet of Things (IoT), in all its myriad manifestations, has great potential. Much of that potential comes from the evolving data management and analytic (DMA) technologies and processes that allow us to gain insight from all of the IoT data that can be generated and gathered. This potential may never be met as those data sets are tied to specific industry verticals and single markets, with no clear way to use IoT data and sensor analytics to fulfill the hype being given the IoT today.
Oct. 25, 2016 08:45 PM EDT Reads: 2,707
For basic one-to-one voice or video calling solutions, WebRTC has proven to be a very powerful technology. Although WebRTC’s core functionality is to provide secure, real-time p2p media streaming, leveraging native platform features and server-side components brings up new communication capabilities for web and native mobile applications, allowing for advanced multi-user use cases such as video broadcasting, conferencing, and media recording.
Oct. 25, 2016 08:45 PM EDT Reads: 3,242
Established in 1998, Calsoft is a leading software product engineering Services Company specializing in Storage, Networking, Virtualization and Cloud business verticals. Calsoft provides End-to-End Product Development, Quality Assurance Sustenance, Solution Engineering and Professional Services expertise to assist customers in achieving their product development and business goals. The company's deep domain knowledge of Storage, Virtualization, Networking and Cloud verticals helps in delivering ...
Oct. 25, 2016 08:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,104
SYS-CON Events announced today that Enzu will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Enzu’s mission is to be the leading provider of enterprise cloud solutions worldwide. Enzu enables online businesses to use its IT infrastructure to their competitive advantage. By offering a suite of proven hosting and management services, Enzu wants companies to focus on the core of their online busine...
Oct. 25, 2016 08:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,375
In the next five to ten years, millions, if not billions of things will become smarter. This smartness goes beyond connected things in our homes like the fridge, thermostat and fancy lighting, and into heavily regulated industries including aerospace, pharmaceutical/medical devices and energy. “Smartness” will embed itself within individual products that are part of our daily lives. We will engage with smart products - learning from them, informing them, and communicating with them. Smart produc...
Oct. 25, 2016 07:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,543
November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Penta Security is a leading vendor for data security solutions, including its encryption solution, D’Amo. By using FPE technology, D’Amo allows for the implementation of encryption technology to sensitive data fields without modification to schema in the database environment. With businesses having their data become increasingly more complicated in their mission-critical applications (such as ERP, CRM, HRM), continued ...
Oct. 25, 2016 07:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,119
OnProcess Technology has announced it will be a featured speaker at @ThingsExpo, taking place November 1 - 3, 2016, in Santa Clara, California. Dan Gettens, OnProcess’ Chief Analytics Officer, will discuss how Internet of Things (IoT) data can be leveraged to predict product failures, improve uptime and slash costly inventory stock. @ThingsExpo is an annual gathering of IoT and cloud developers, practitioners and thought-leaders who exchange ideas and insights on topics ranging from Big Data in...
Oct. 25, 2016 07:15 PM EDT Reads: 312
SYS-CON Events announced today that Cloudbric, a leading website security provider, will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Cloudbric is an elite full service website protection solution specifically designed for IT novices, entrepreneurs, and small and medium businesses. First launched in 2015, Cloudbric is based on the enterprise level Web Application Firewall by Penta Security Sys...
Oct. 25, 2016 06:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,244
SYS-CON Events announced today that Transparent Cloud Computing (T-Cloud) Consortium will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. The Transparent Cloud Computing Consortium (T-Cloud Consortium) will conduct research activities into changes in the computing model as a result of collaboration between "device" and "cloud" and the creation of new value and markets through organic data proces...
Oct. 25, 2016 06:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,445
SYS-CON Events announced today that Roundee / LinearHub will exhibit at the WebRTC Summit at @ThingsExpo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. LinearHub provides Roundee Service, a smart platform for enterprise video conferencing with enhanced features such as automatic recording and transcription service. Slack users can integrate Roundee to their team via Slack’s App Directory, and '/roundee' command lets your video conference ...
Oct. 25, 2016 06:15 PM EDT Reads: 2,145
Successful digital transformation requires new organizational competencies and capabilities. Research tells us that the biggest impediment to successful transformation is human; consequently, the biggest enabler is a properly skilled and empowered workforce. In the digital age, new individual and collective competencies are required. In his session at 19th Cloud Expo, Bob Newhouse, CEO and founder of Agilitiv, will draw together recent research and lessons learned from emerging and established ...
Oct. 25, 2016 05:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,456
SYS-CON Events announced today that Coalfire will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Coalfire is the trusted leader in cybersecurity risk management and compliance services. Coalfire integrates advisory and technical assessments and recommendations to the corporate directors, executives, boards, and IT organizations for global brands and organizations in the technology, cloud, health...
Oct. 25, 2016 05:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,618
As ridesharing competitors and enhanced services increase, notable changes are occurring in the transportation model. Despite the cost-effective means and flexibility of ridesharing, both drivers and users will need to be aware of the connected environment and how it will impact the ridesharing experience. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Timothy Evavold, Executive Director Automotive at Covisint, will discuss key challenges and solutions to powering a ride sharing and/or multimodal model in the a...
Oct. 25, 2016 04:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,554
In his general session at 19th Cloud Expo, Manish Dixit, VP of Product and Engineering at Dice, will discuss how Dice leverages data insights and tools to help both tech professionals and recruiters better understand how skills relate to each other and which skills are in high demand using interactive visualizations and salary indicator tools to maximize earning potential. Manish Dixit is VP of Product and Engineering at Dice. As the leader of the Product, Engineering and Data Sciences team a...
Oct. 25, 2016 03:15 PM EDT Reads: 449