|By PR Newswire||
|January 14, 2013 06:04 PM EST||
CHICAGO, Jan. 14, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Trib Nation kicks off 2013 with a robust schedule of live events in January and February. More than a dozen events are scheduled over the next two months as part of the Trib Nation Events series – Chicago Forward, Press Pass, Printers Row and TribU. Highlights include:
- Press Pass with John Kass on Jan. 15 (sold-out)
- Chicago Forward with Mayor Emanuel on Jan. 16
- Chicago Live! at Ravinia with Billy Corgan on Feb. 14
The diverse slate of live events aims to capture the Chicago experience, providing access to Tribune newsmakers and newsroom personalities and offering Tribune readers forums for professional and personal learning and development. Events run the gamut from news to politics, public policy, entertainment, religion, sports, digital skills and much more.
Chicago Forward: Conversations about the Future
The first Chicago Forward of the new year is a conversation about Chicago between Mayor Rahm Emanuel and Chicago Tribune editorial page editor Bruce Dold at the James Simpson Theater at the Field Museum on Jan. 16 at 6 p.m. Emanuel and Dold will discuss schools, culture, safety, jobs, finances and the future of the city as well as state and national politics. They will also address questions from the audience and a reception will follow. Tickets are $20 (all of the ticket sales for this event benefit the Chicago Tribune Foundation, which funds programs in low-income communities to promote education, access to the arts for youth and journalism programs).
The Chicago Forward series invites policymakers, government and business leaders and influencers to dissect and debate the policies and issues shaping the future of Chicago. Each panel discussion examines critical points of view on topics of public interest and encourages audience questions and comments. This marks Mayor Emanuel's second visit to Chicago Forward; he previously sat with Dold and Governor Quinn to discuss the state of the city and the state at Chicago Forward in April 2012.
Designed to spotlight the work of the newsroom, Press Pass events bring Chicago Tribune to life by offering readers access to favorite Tribune columnists, critics and beat writers with wide-ranging opportunities to hear the stories behind the stories. Press Pass creates a dialogue that aims to dig deeper on the issues and showcase the stories that impact readers most. The programming zeroes in on the most popular sections of the paper. To that end, four Press Pass events are scheduled over the next two months. New events will be announced soon.
- Press Pass: Breakfast and Politics with John Kass on Jan. 15 is already sold-out. The popular Tribune columnist will lead a lively early-morning discussion about Chicago politics and what it means to have President Obama in the White House for a second term. Produced in partnership with Elmhurst College, the event includes breakfast at 7:30 a.m. at the school's Frick Center.
- On Jan. 17 at 6:15 p.m., Chicago Tribune and the Illinois Holocaust Museum and Education Center present Press Pass: 'Skokie: Invaded, But Not Conquered.' This world premiere of the film marks the 35th anniversary of the attempted neo-Nazi rally in suburban Skokie and documents the work of Holocaust survivors-turned-activists. Tribune arts critic Howard Reich moderates a panel discussion with filmmakers Rick Hirschhaut and Todd Whitman following the screening. This event is free — reservations are required. For more information, directions and to make a reservation visit www.ilholocaustmuseum.org.
- In anticipation of the Super Bowl, Trib Nation hosts Press Pass: 'Head Games': Concussions and their Impact on the NFL on Jan. 30 at the Tribune Tower. Tribune reporter Nina Metz will introduce a screening of the documentary, "Head Games," directed by Steve James ("Hoop Dreams"). The screening will be followed by a discussion with Chicago Tribune sports editor Tim Bannon and other sports experts to address whether professional and youth sports leagues are taking head injuries seriously enough — and how this may change the face of contact sports in dramatic ways. Tickets are $15.
- A very special Chicago Live! is planned for Valentine's Day, Feb. 14. Reporter, columnist and radio host Rick Kogan and The Second City will hit the road again, this time due north for a Chicago-style Valentine's Day extravaganza at Ravinia's indoor Bennett Gordon Theater. Smashing Pumpkins frontman Billy Corgan returns to Chicago Live! along with bestselling author Rebecca Skloot, Grace chef/owner Curtis Duffy and Tribune advice columnist Amy Dickinson.
Recently reorganized under the Press Pass banner as a quarterly program, Chicago Live! is now bigger, better and available to more Chicagoans. Chicago Live! is recorded for WGN-AM radio and will be broadcast on Saturday, Feb. 16 at 11 p.m. Tickets are $25 and on sale now. 7 p.m. Ravinia, Bennett Gordon Hall, 201 St. Johns Ave., Highland Park.
Monthly Printers Row live author events are a key feature of the larger Printers Row literary membership program, which also includes the subscription-only weekly Printers Row Journal, weekly fiction inserts and the annual, free Printers Row Lit Fest, scheduled for June 8 and 9 in Chicago's South Loop area. Printers Row author events are open to the public.
- The Tribune will host Printers Row Short Story Night on Jan. 23. Join past Nelson Algren Short Story Prize award winners as they kick off the 2013 contest with a stimulating evening focusing on the process of creative writing. Tribune literary editor Elizabeth Taylor will guide the discussion with winners Baird Harper, David Michael Kaplan, Billy Lombardo, Joe Meno and Jeremy Wilson. There will be ample opportunities for questions about writing challenges and conundrums. The event will be held at the Tribune Tower. Tickets are $15.
- On Jan. 29 at Printers Row: Lawrence Wright, Tribune religion reporter Manya Brachear will interview the Pulitzer Prize-winning author about his seventh book, "Going Clear: Scientology, Hollywood and the Prison of Belief." Wright's latest book explores the inner workings of Scientology and its two leaders, L. Ron Hubbard and his successor, David Miscavige. Tickets are $15 for the event hosted at the Tribune Tower at 7 p.m. Wright will meet Printers Row members at a special reception at 6:30 p.m.
- Press Pass: Jamaica Kincaid on Feb. 21 welcomes Kincaid to the Tribune Tower for her only Chicago appearance in support of her first novel in 10 years, "See Now Then." Caribbean writer Kincaid meshes autobiography with archetypes as the metaphysical tale of the unraveling of an unlikely marriage turns into a fable of love, betrayal and loss. Tickets are $15 and the event starts at 7 p.m. Kincaid will meet Printers Row members at a special reception at 6:30 p.m.
TribU begins 2013 with an ambitious lineup of classes, seminars and workshops. TribU programs are taught by Tribune staff and industry experts and focus on professional development and personal enrichment.
- The TribU digital courses scheduled include Podcasting 101: Produce, Publish, Promote on Jan. 29 and the three-part series on How to Create Your Own Blog Feb. 5, 19 and 26. On Feb. 20, Tribune photographs will lead TribU: Your Photography Portfolio. For detailed descriptions and pricing information please visit tribnation.com/events.
- On Jan. 21, 28 and Feb. 24 join Tribune reporters and editors in a three-part class TribU: Current Events. This current-events discussion, led by Tribune business planning editor Andrea Hanis, covers the news of the moment across a variety of print, broadcast, digital and social media sources. Topics in this three-part class will vary but may include anything from breaking news to presidential politics to Chicago civic issues. Participants will meet at the Tribune Tower and hear from reporters and editors, including columnists Eric Zorn and Melissa Harris, to discuss how to manage the flow of information and share thoughts and questions on how the news is covered. Ticket are $100 for the three-part series.
The 2013 Trib Nation calendar will be updated on an ongoing basis. Additional details and links to purchase tickets for Trib Nation program are available at tribnation.com/events. Tribune digitalPLUS members are also eligible for a limited number of free tickets to all Trib Nation events. To take advantage of event tickets and for more information visit members.chicagotribune.com.
About the Chicago Tribune
For 166 years, the Chicago Tribune has been a market-leading publication of the Tribune Company. Reaching five million readers each week in print, online and through radio, television and live events, the Tribune is known for its public service journalism and watchdog reporting. In 2010, the Tribune launched Trib Nation, a community outreach and audience engagement program that includes a broad menu of live events such as Press Pass, which focus on specialty coverage areas by critics and columnists; Chicago Forward, a series of public policy discussions; literary events including Printers Row, Lit Fest, and Literary Awards; and TribU classes and seminars for personal and professional enrichment.
SOURCE Chicago Tribune
With the proliferation of connected devices underpinning new Internet of Things systems, Brandon Schulz, Director of Luxoft IoT – Retail, will be looking at the transformation of the retail customer experience in brick and mortar stores in his session at @ThingsExpo. Questions he will address include: Will beacons drop to the wayside like QR codes, or be a proximity-based profit driver? How will the customer experience change in stores of all types when everything can be instrumented and analyzed? As an area of investment, how might a retail company move towards an innovation methodolo...
Sep. 4, 2015 04:15 PM EDT Reads: 529
Contrary to mainstream media attention, the multiple possibilities of how consumer IoT will transform our everyday lives aren’t the only angle of this headline-gaining trend. There’s a huge opportunity for “industrial IoT” and “Smart Cities” to impact the world in the same capacity – especially during critical situations. For example, a community water dam that needs to release water can leverage embedded critical communications logic to alert the appropriate individuals, on the right device, as soon as they are needed to take action.
Sep. 4, 2015 04:00 PM EDT
Manufacturing connected IoT versions of traditional products requires more than multiple deep technology skills. It also requires a shift in mindset, to realize that connected, sensor-enabled “things” act more like services than what we usually think of as products. In his session at @ThingsExpo, David Friedman, CEO and co-founder of Ayla Networks, will discuss how when sensors start generating detailed real-world data about products and how they’re being used, smart manufacturers can use the data to create additional revenue streams, such as improved warranties or premium features. Or slash...
Sep. 4, 2015 04:00 PM EDT
WebRTC services have already permeated corporate communications in the form of videoconferencing solutions. However, WebRTC has the potential of going beyond and catalyzing a new class of services providing more than calls with capabilities such as mass-scale real-time media broadcasting, enriched and augmented video, person-to-machine and machine-to-machine communications. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Luis Lopez, CEO of Kurento, will introduce the technologies required for implementing these ideas and some early experiments performed in the Kurento open source software community in areas ...
Sep. 4, 2015 03:45 PM EDT Reads: 142
SYS-CON Events announced today that HPM Networks will exhibit at the 17th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 3–5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. For 20 years, HPM Networks has been integrating technology solutions that solve complex business challenges. HPM Networks has designed solutions for both SMB and enterprise customers throughout the San Francisco Bay Area.
Sep. 4, 2015 03:30 PM EDT Reads: 979
While many app developers are comfortable building apps for the smartphone, there is a whole new world out there. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Narayan Sainaney, Co-founder and CTO of Mojio, will discuss how the business case for connected car apps is growing and, with open platform companies having already done the heavy lifting, there really is no barrier to entry.
Sep. 4, 2015 03:00 PM EDT Reads: 227
As more intelligent IoT applications shift into gear, they’re merging into the ever-increasing traffic flow of the Internet. It won’t be long before we experience bottlenecks, as IoT traffic peaks during rush hours. Organizations that are unprepared will find themselves by the side of the road unable to cross back into the fast lane. As billions of new devices begin to communicate and exchange data – will your infrastructure be scalable enough to handle this new interconnected world?
Sep. 4, 2015 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 271
All major researchers estimate there will be tens of billions devices - computers, smartphones, tablets, and sensors - connected to the Internet by 2020. This number will continue to grow at a rapid pace for the next several decades. With major technology companies and startups seriously embracing IoT strategies, now is the perfect time to attend @ThingsExpo, November 3-5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Learn what is going on, contribute to the discussions, and ensure that your enterprise is as "IoT-Ready" as it can be.
Sep. 4, 2015 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 231
The Internet of Things is in the early stages of mainstream deployment but it promises to unlock value and rapidly transform how organizations manage, operationalize, and monetize their assets. IoT is a complex structure of hardware, sensors, applications, analytics and devices that need to be able to communicate geographically and across all functions. Once the data is collected from numerous endpoints, the challenge then becomes converting it into actionable insight.
Sep. 4, 2015 12:30 PM EDT Reads: 121
With the Apple Watch making its way onto wrists all over the world, it’s only a matter of time before it becomes a staple in the workplace. In fact, Forrester reported that 68 percent of technology and business decision-makers characterize wearables as a top priority for 2015. Recognizing their business value early on, FinancialForce.com was the first to bring ERP to wearables, helping streamline communication across front and back office functions. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Kevin Roberts, GM of Platform at FinancialForce.com, will discuss the value of business applications on wearable ...
Sep. 4, 2015 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 110
SYS-CON Events announced today that IceWarp will exhibit at the 17th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 3–5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. IceWarp, the leader of cloud and on-premise messaging, delivers secured email, chat, documents, conferencing and collaboration to today's mobile workforce, all in one unified interface
Sep. 4, 2015 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 502
SYS-CON Events announced today that Micron Technology, Inc., a global leader in advanced semiconductor systems, will exhibit at the 17th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 3–5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Micron’s broad portfolio of high-performance memory technologies – including DRAM, NAND and NOR Flash – is the basis for solid state drives, modules, multichip packages and other system solutions. Backed by more than 35 years of technology leadership, Micron's memory solutions enable the world's most innovative computing, consumer,...
Sep. 4, 2015 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 297
As more and more data is generated from a variety of connected devices, the need to get insights from this data and predict future behavior and trends is increasingly essential for businesses. Real-time stream processing is needed in a variety of different industries such as Manufacturing, Oil and Gas, Automobile, Finance, Online Retail, Smart Grids, and Healthcare. Azure Stream Analytics is a fully managed distributed stream computation service that provides low latency, scalable processing of streaming data in the cloud with an enterprise grade SLA. It features built-in integration with Azur...
Sep. 4, 2015 11:45 AM EDT Reads: 401
17th Cloud Expo, taking place Nov 3-5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. Cloud computing is now being embraced by a majority of enterprises of all sizes. Yesterday's debate about public vs. private has transformed into the reality of hybrid cloud: a recent survey shows that 74% of enterprises have a hybrid cloud strategy. Meanwhile, 94% of enterprises are using some form of XaaS – software, platform, and infrastructure as a service.
Sep. 4, 2015 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,618
SYS-CON Events announced today the Containers & Microservices Bootcamp, being held November 3-4, 2015, in conjunction with 17th Cloud Expo, @ThingsExpo, and @DevOpsSummit at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. This is your chance to get started with the latest technology in the industry. Combined with real-world scenarios and use cases, the Containers and Microservices Bootcamp, led by Janakiram MSV, a Microsoft Regional Director, will include presentations as well as hands-on demos and comprehensive walkthroughs.
Sep. 4, 2015 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 433
SYS-CON Events announced today that the "Second Containers & Microservices Expo" will take place November 3-5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Containers and microservices have become topics of intense interest throughout the cloud developer and enterprise IT communities.
Sep. 4, 2015 10:45 AM EDT Reads: 665
Akana has announced the availability of the new Akana Healthcare Solution. The API-driven solution helps healthcare organizations accelerate their transition to being secure, digitally interoperable businesses. It leverages the Health Level Seven International Fast Healthcare Interoperability Resources (HL7 FHIR) standard to enable broader business use of medical data. Akana developed the Healthcare Solution in response to healthcare businesses that want to increase electronic, multi-device access to health records while reducing operating costs and complying with government regulations.
Sep. 4, 2015 09:30 AM EDT Reads: 337
Containers are not new, but renewed commitments to performance, flexibility, and agility have propelled them to the top of the agenda today. By working without the need for virtualization and its overhead, containers are seen as the perfect way to deploy apps and services across multiple clouds. Containers can handle anything from file types to operating systems and services, including microservices. What are microservices? Unlike what the name implies, microservices are not necessarily small, but are focused on specific tasks. The ability for developers to deploy multiple containers – thous...
Sep. 4, 2015 09:00 AM EDT Reads: 217
With major technology companies and startups seriously embracing IoT strategies, now is the perfect time to attend @ThingsExpo in Silicon Valley. Learn what is going on, contribute to the discussions, and ensure that your enterprise is as "IoT-Ready" as it can be! Internet of @ThingsExpo, taking place Nov 3-5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, is co-located with 17th Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. The Internet of Things (IoT) is the most profound change in personal an...
Sep. 4, 2015 08:15 AM EDT Reads: 2,048
Consumer IoT applications provide data about the user that just doesn’t exist in traditional PC or mobile web applications. This rich data, or “context,” enables the highly personalized consumer experiences that characterize many consumer IoT apps. This same data is also providing brands with unprecedented insight into how their connected products are being used, while, at the same time, powering highly targeted engagement and marketing opportunities. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Nathan Treloar, President and COO of Bebaio, will explore examples of brands transforming their businesses by t...
Sep. 4, 2015 07:00 AM EDT Reads: 305