|By PR Newswire||
|January 14, 2013 06:04 PM EST||
CHICAGO, Jan. 14, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Trib Nation kicks off 2013 with a robust schedule of live events in January and February. More than a dozen events are scheduled over the next two months as part of the Trib Nation Events series – Chicago Forward, Press Pass, Printers Row and TribU. Highlights include:
- Press Pass with John Kass on Jan. 15 (sold-out)
- Chicago Forward with Mayor Emanuel on Jan. 16
- Chicago Live! at Ravinia with Billy Corgan on Feb. 14
The diverse slate of live events aims to capture the Chicago experience, providing access to Tribune newsmakers and newsroom personalities and offering Tribune readers forums for professional and personal learning and development. Events run the gamut from news to politics, public policy, entertainment, religion, sports, digital skills and much more.
Chicago Forward: Conversations about the Future
The first Chicago Forward of the new year is a conversation about Chicago between Mayor Rahm Emanuel and Chicago Tribune editorial page editor Bruce Dold at the James Simpson Theater at the Field Museum on Jan. 16 at 6 p.m. Emanuel and Dold will discuss schools, culture, safety, jobs, finances and the future of the city as well as state and national politics. They will also address questions from the audience and a reception will follow. Tickets are $20 (all of the ticket sales for this event benefit the Chicago Tribune Foundation, which funds programs in low-income communities to promote education, access to the arts for youth and journalism programs).
The Chicago Forward series invites policymakers, government and business leaders and influencers to dissect and debate the policies and issues shaping the future of Chicago. Each panel discussion examines critical points of view on topics of public interest and encourages audience questions and comments. This marks Mayor Emanuel's second visit to Chicago Forward; he previously sat with Dold and Governor Quinn to discuss the state of the city and the state at Chicago Forward in April 2012.
Designed to spotlight the work of the newsroom, Press Pass events bring Chicago Tribune to life by offering readers access to favorite Tribune columnists, critics and beat writers with wide-ranging opportunities to hear the stories behind the stories. Press Pass creates a dialogue that aims to dig deeper on the issues and showcase the stories that impact readers most. The programming zeroes in on the most popular sections of the paper. To that end, four Press Pass events are scheduled over the next two months. New events will be announced soon.
- Press Pass: Breakfast and Politics with John Kass on Jan. 15 is already sold-out. The popular Tribune columnist will lead a lively early-morning discussion about Chicago politics and what it means to have President Obama in the White House for a second term. Produced in partnership with Elmhurst College, the event includes breakfast at 7:30 a.m. at the school's Frick Center.
- On Jan. 17 at 6:15 p.m., Chicago Tribune and the Illinois Holocaust Museum and Education Center present Press Pass: 'Skokie: Invaded, But Not Conquered.' This world premiere of the film marks the 35th anniversary of the attempted neo-Nazi rally in suburban Skokie and documents the work of Holocaust survivors-turned-activists. Tribune arts critic Howard Reich moderates a panel discussion with filmmakers Rick Hirschhaut and Todd Whitman following the screening. This event is free — reservations are required. For more information, directions and to make a reservation visit www.ilholocaustmuseum.org.
- In anticipation of the Super Bowl, Trib Nation hosts Press Pass: 'Head Games': Concussions and their Impact on the NFL on Jan. 30 at the Tribune Tower. Tribune reporter Nina Metz will introduce a screening of the documentary, "Head Games," directed by Steve James ("Hoop Dreams"). The screening will be followed by a discussion with Chicago Tribune sports editor Tim Bannon and other sports experts to address whether professional and youth sports leagues are taking head injuries seriously enough — and how this may change the face of contact sports in dramatic ways. Tickets are $15.
- A very special Chicago Live! is planned for Valentine's Day, Feb. 14. Reporter, columnist and radio host Rick Kogan and The Second City will hit the road again, this time due north for a Chicago-style Valentine's Day extravaganza at Ravinia's indoor Bennett Gordon Theater. Smashing Pumpkins frontman Billy Corgan returns to Chicago Live! along with bestselling author Rebecca Skloot, Grace chef/owner Curtis Duffy and Tribune advice columnist Amy Dickinson.
Recently reorganized under the Press Pass banner as a quarterly program, Chicago Live! is now bigger, better and available to more Chicagoans. Chicago Live! is recorded for WGN-AM radio and will be broadcast on Saturday, Feb. 16 at 11 p.m. Tickets are $25 and on sale now. 7 p.m. Ravinia, Bennett Gordon Hall, 201 St. Johns Ave., Highland Park.
Monthly Printers Row live author events are a key feature of the larger Printers Row literary membership program, which also includes the subscription-only weekly Printers Row Journal, weekly fiction inserts and the annual, free Printers Row Lit Fest, scheduled for June 8 and 9 in Chicago's South Loop area. Printers Row author events are open to the public.
- The Tribune will host Printers Row Short Story Night on Jan. 23. Join past Nelson Algren Short Story Prize award winners as they kick off the 2013 contest with a stimulating evening focusing on the process of creative writing. Tribune literary editor Elizabeth Taylor will guide the discussion with winners Baird Harper, David Michael Kaplan, Billy Lombardo, Joe Meno and Jeremy Wilson. There will be ample opportunities for questions about writing challenges and conundrums. The event will be held at the Tribune Tower. Tickets are $15.
- On Jan. 29 at Printers Row: Lawrence Wright, Tribune religion reporter Manya Brachear will interview the Pulitzer Prize-winning author about his seventh book, "Going Clear: Scientology, Hollywood and the Prison of Belief." Wright's latest book explores the inner workings of Scientology and its two leaders, L. Ron Hubbard and his successor, David Miscavige. Tickets are $15 for the event hosted at the Tribune Tower at 7 p.m. Wright will meet Printers Row members at a special reception at 6:30 p.m.
- Press Pass: Jamaica Kincaid on Feb. 21 welcomes Kincaid to the Tribune Tower for her only Chicago appearance in support of her first novel in 10 years, "See Now Then." Caribbean writer Kincaid meshes autobiography with archetypes as the metaphysical tale of the unraveling of an unlikely marriage turns into a fable of love, betrayal and loss. Tickets are $15 and the event starts at 7 p.m. Kincaid will meet Printers Row members at a special reception at 6:30 p.m.
TribU begins 2013 with an ambitious lineup of classes, seminars and workshops. TribU programs are taught by Tribune staff and industry experts and focus on professional development and personal enrichment.
- The TribU digital courses scheduled include Podcasting 101: Produce, Publish, Promote on Jan. 29 and the three-part series on How to Create Your Own Blog Feb. 5, 19 and 26. On Feb. 20, Tribune photographs will lead TribU: Your Photography Portfolio. For detailed descriptions and pricing information please visit tribnation.com/events.
- On Jan. 21, 28 and Feb. 24 join Tribune reporters and editors in a three-part class TribU: Current Events. This current-events discussion, led by Tribune business planning editor Andrea Hanis, covers the news of the moment across a variety of print, broadcast, digital and social media sources. Topics in this three-part class will vary but may include anything from breaking news to presidential politics to Chicago civic issues. Participants will meet at the Tribune Tower and hear from reporters and editors, including columnists Eric Zorn and Melissa Harris, to discuss how to manage the flow of information and share thoughts and questions on how the news is covered. Ticket are $100 for the three-part series.
The 2013 Trib Nation calendar will be updated on an ongoing basis. Additional details and links to purchase tickets for Trib Nation program are available at tribnation.com/events. Tribune digitalPLUS members are also eligible for a limited number of free tickets to all Trib Nation events. To take advantage of event tickets and for more information visit members.chicagotribune.com.
About the Chicago Tribune
For 166 years, the Chicago Tribune has been a market-leading publication of the Tribune Company. Reaching five million readers each week in print, online and through radio, television and live events, the Tribune is known for its public service journalism and watchdog reporting. In 2010, the Tribune launched Trib Nation, a community outreach and audience engagement program that includes a broad menu of live events such as Press Pass, which focus on specialty coverage areas by critics and columnists; Chicago Forward, a series of public policy discussions; literary events including Printers Row, Lit Fest, and Literary Awards; and TribU classes and seminars for personal and professional enrichment.
SOURCE Chicago Tribune
The IoT has the potential to create a renaissance of manufacturing in the US and elsewhere. In his session at 18th Cloud Expo, Florent Solt, CTO and chief architect of Netvibes, will discuss how the expected exponential increase in the amount of data that will be processed, transported, stored, and accessed means there will be a huge demand for smart technologies to deliver it. Florent Solt is the CTO and chief architect of Netvibes. Prior to joining Netvibes in 2007, he co-founded Rift Technol...
May. 1, 2016 11:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,584
The increasing popularity of the Internet of Things necessitates that our physical and cognitive relationship with wearable technology will change rapidly in the near future. This advent means logging has become a thing of the past. Before, it was on us to track our own data, but now that data is automatically available. What does this mean for mHealth and the "connected" body? In her session at @ThingsExpo, Lisa Calkins, CEO and co-founder of Amadeus Consulting, will discuss the impact of wea...
May. 1, 2016 07:00 PM EDT Reads: 738
SYS-CON Events announced today that Peak 10, Inc., a national IT infrastructure and cloud services provider, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Peak 10 provides reliable, tailored data center and network services, cloud and managed services. Its solutions are designed to scale and adapt to customers’ changing business needs, enabling them to lower costs, improve performance and focus inter...
May. 1, 2016 06:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,145
We’ve worked with dozens of early adopters across numerous industries and will debunk common misperceptions, which starts with understanding that many of the connected products we’ll use over the next 5 years are already products, they’re just not yet connected. With an IoT product, time-in-market provides much more essential feedback than ever before. Innovation comes from what you do with the data that the connected product provides in order to enhance the customer experience and optimize busi...
May. 1, 2016 05:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,008
In his session at @ThingsExpo, Chris Klein, CEO and Co-founder of Rachio, will discuss next generation communities that are using IoT to create more sustainable, intelligent communities. One example is Sterling Ranch, a 10,000 home development that – with the help of Siemens – will integrate IoT technology into the community to provide residents with energy and water savings as well as intelligent security. Everything from stop lights to sprinkler systems to building infrastructures will run ef...
May. 1, 2016 04:00 PM EDT Reads: 924
So, you bought into the current machine learning craze and went on to collect millions/billions of records from this promising new data source. Now, what do you do with them? Too often, the abundance of data quickly turns into an abundance of problems. How do you extract that "magic essence" from your data without falling into the common pitfalls? In her session at @ThingsExpo, Natalia Ponomareva, Software Engineer at Google, will provide tips on how to be successful in large scale machine lear...
May. 1, 2016 01:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,229
Digital payments using wearable devices such as smart watches, fitness trackers, and payment wristbands are an increasing area of focus for industry participants, and consumer acceptance from early trials and deployments has encouraged some of the biggest names in technology and banking to continue their push to drive growth in this nascent market. Wearable payment systems may utilize near field communication (NFC), radio frequency identification (RFID), or quick response (QR) codes and barcodes...
May. 1, 2016 01:30 PM EDT Reads: 810
SYS-CON Events announced today that Stratoscale, the software company developing the next generation data center operating system, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Stratoscale is revolutionizing the data center with a zero-to-cloud-in-minutes solution. With Stratoscale’s hardware-agnostic, Software Defined Data Center (SDDC) solution to store everything, run anything and scale everywhere...
May. 1, 2016 01:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,569
Angular 2 is a complete re-write of the popular framework AngularJS. Programming in Angular 2 is greatly simplified – now it's a component-based well-performing framework. This immersive one-day workshop at 18th Cloud Expo, led by Yakov Fain, a Java Champion and a co-founder of the IT consultancy Farata Systems and the product company SuranceBay, will provide you with everything you wanted to know about Angular 2.
May. 1, 2016 01:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,745
You think you know what’s in your data. But do you? Most organizations are now aware of the business intelligence represented by their data. Data science stands to take this to a level you never thought of – literally. The techniques of data science, when used with the capabilities of Big Data technologies, can make connections you had not yet imagined, helping you discover new insights and ask new questions of your data. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Sarbjit Sarkaria, data science team lead ...
May. 1, 2016 12:45 PM EDT Reads: 814
SYS-CON Events announced today that Men & Mice, the leading global provider of DNS, DHCP and IP address management overlay solutions, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. The Men & Mice Suite overlay solution is already known for its powerful application in heterogeneous operating environments, enabling enterprises to scale without fuss. Building on a solid range of diverse platform support,...
May. 1, 2016 12:15 PM EDT Reads: 2,324
You deployed your app with the Bluemix PaaS and it's gaining some serious traction, so it's time to make some tweaks. Did you design your application in a way that it can scale in the cloud? Were you even thinking about the cloud when you built the app? If not, chances are your app is going to break. Check out this webcast to learn various techniques for designing applications that will scale successfully in Bluemix, for the confidence you need to take your apps to the next level and beyond.
May. 1, 2016 11:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,494
Whether your IoT service is connecting cars, homes, appliances, wearable, cameras or other devices, one question hangs in the balance – how do you actually make money from this service? The ability to turn your IoT service into profit requires the ability to create a monetization strategy that is flexible, scalable and working for you in real-time. It must be a transparent, smoothly implemented strategy that all stakeholders – from customers to the board – will be able to understand and comprehe...
May. 1, 2016 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,092
Increasing IoT connectivity is forcing enterprises to find elegant solutions to organize and visualize all incoming data from these connected devices with re-configurable dashboard widgets to effectively allow rapid decision-making for everything from immediate actions in tactical situations to strategic analysis and reporting. In his session at 18th Cloud Expo, Shikhir Singh, Senior Developer Relations Manager at Sencha, will discuss how to create HTML5 dashboards that interact with IoT devic...
May. 1, 2016 09:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,017
Artificial Intelligence has the potential to massively disrupt IoT. In his session at 18th Cloud Expo, AJ Abdallat, CEO of Beyond AI, will discuss what the five main drivers are in Artificial Intelligence that could shape the future of the Internet of Things. AJ Abdallat is CEO of Beyond AI. He has over 20 years of management experience in the fields of artificial intelligence, sensors, instruments, devices and software for telecommunications, life sciences, environmental monitoring, process...
May. 1, 2016 09:45 AM EDT Reads: 927
SYS-CON Events announced today that Ericsson has been named “Gold Sponsor” of SYS-CON's @ThingsExpo, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York, New York. Ericsson is a world leader in the rapidly changing environment of communications technology – providing equipment, software and services to enable transformation through mobility. Some 40 percent of global mobile traffic runs through networks we have supplied. More than 1 billion subscribers around the world re...
May. 1, 2016 07:30 AM EDT Reads: 977
There is an ever-growing explosion of new devices that are connected to the Internet using “cloud” solutions. This rapid growth is creating a massive new demand for efficient access to data. And it’s not just about connecting to that data anymore. This new demand is bringing new issues and challenges and it is important for companies to scale for the coming growth. And with that scaling comes the need for greater security, gathering and data analysis, storage, connectivity and, of course, the...
May. 1, 2016 07:00 AM EDT Reads: 852
SYS-CON Events announced today that DatacenterDynamics has been named “Media Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7–9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. DatacenterDynamics is a brand of DCD Group, a global B2B media and publishing company that develops products to help senior professionals in the world's most ICT dependent organizations make risk-based infrastructure and capacity decisions.
May. 1, 2016 06:30 AM EDT Reads: 2,502
Machine Learning helps make complex systems more efficient. By applying advanced Machine Learning techniques such as Cognitive Fingerprinting, wind project operators can utilize these tools to learn from collected data, detect regular patterns, and optimize their own operations. In his session at 18th Cloud Expo, Stuart Gillen, Director of Business Development at SparkCognition, will discuss how research has demonstrated the value of Machine Learning in delivering next generation analytics to im...
Apr. 30, 2016 04:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,705
This is not a small hotel event. It is also not a big vendor party where politicians and entertainers are more important than real content. This is Cloud Expo, the world's longest-running conference and exhibition focused on Cloud Computing and all that it entails. If you want serious presentations and valuable insight about Cloud Computing for three straight days, then register now for Cloud Expo.
Apr. 30, 2016 02:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,732