|By PR Newswire||
|January 14, 2013 06:04 PM EST||
CHICAGO, Jan. 14, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Trib Nation kicks off 2013 with a robust schedule of live events in January and February. More than a dozen events are scheduled over the next two months as part of the Trib Nation Events series – Chicago Forward, Press Pass, Printers Row and TribU. Highlights include:
- Press Pass with John Kass on Jan. 15 (sold-out)
- Chicago Forward with Mayor Emanuel on Jan. 16
- Chicago Live! at Ravinia with Billy Corgan on Feb. 14
The diverse slate of live events aims to capture the Chicago experience, providing access to Tribune newsmakers and newsroom personalities and offering Tribune readers forums for professional and personal learning and development. Events run the gamut from news to politics, public policy, entertainment, religion, sports, digital skills and much more.
Chicago Forward: Conversations about the Future
The first Chicago Forward of the new year is a conversation about Chicago between Mayor Rahm Emanuel and Chicago Tribune editorial page editor Bruce Dold at the James Simpson Theater at the Field Museum on Jan. 16 at 6 p.m. Emanuel and Dold will discuss schools, culture, safety, jobs, finances and the future of the city as well as state and national politics. They will also address questions from the audience and a reception will follow. Tickets are $20 (all of the ticket sales for this event benefit the Chicago Tribune Foundation, which funds programs in low-income communities to promote education, access to the arts for youth and journalism programs).
The Chicago Forward series invites policymakers, government and business leaders and influencers to dissect and debate the policies and issues shaping the future of Chicago. Each panel discussion examines critical points of view on topics of public interest and encourages audience questions and comments. This marks Mayor Emanuel's second visit to Chicago Forward; he previously sat with Dold and Governor Quinn to discuss the state of the city and the state at Chicago Forward in April 2012.
Designed to spotlight the work of the newsroom, Press Pass events bring Chicago Tribune to life by offering readers access to favorite Tribune columnists, critics and beat writers with wide-ranging opportunities to hear the stories behind the stories. Press Pass creates a dialogue that aims to dig deeper on the issues and showcase the stories that impact readers most. The programming zeroes in on the most popular sections of the paper. To that end, four Press Pass events are scheduled over the next two months. New events will be announced soon.
- Press Pass: Breakfast and Politics with John Kass on Jan. 15 is already sold-out. The popular Tribune columnist will lead a lively early-morning discussion about Chicago politics and what it means to have President Obama in the White House for a second term. Produced in partnership with Elmhurst College, the event includes breakfast at 7:30 a.m. at the school's Frick Center.
- On Jan. 17 at 6:15 p.m., Chicago Tribune and the Illinois Holocaust Museum and Education Center present Press Pass: 'Skokie: Invaded, But Not Conquered.' This world premiere of the film marks the 35th anniversary of the attempted neo-Nazi rally in suburban Skokie and documents the work of Holocaust survivors-turned-activists. Tribune arts critic Howard Reich moderates a panel discussion with filmmakers Rick Hirschhaut and Todd Whitman following the screening. This event is free — reservations are required. For more information, directions and to make a reservation visit www.ilholocaustmuseum.org.
- In anticipation of the Super Bowl, Trib Nation hosts Press Pass: 'Head Games': Concussions and their Impact on the NFL on Jan. 30 at the Tribune Tower. Tribune reporter Nina Metz will introduce a screening of the documentary, "Head Games," directed by Steve James ("Hoop Dreams"). The screening will be followed by a discussion with Chicago Tribune sports editor Tim Bannon and other sports experts to address whether professional and youth sports leagues are taking head injuries seriously enough — and how this may change the face of contact sports in dramatic ways. Tickets are $15.
- A very special Chicago Live! is planned for Valentine's Day, Feb. 14. Reporter, columnist and radio host Rick Kogan and The Second City will hit the road again, this time due north for a Chicago-style Valentine's Day extravaganza at Ravinia's indoor Bennett Gordon Theater. Smashing Pumpkins frontman Billy Corgan returns to Chicago Live! along with bestselling author Rebecca Skloot, Grace chef/owner Curtis Duffy and Tribune advice columnist Amy Dickinson.
Recently reorganized under the Press Pass banner as a quarterly program, Chicago Live! is now bigger, better and available to more Chicagoans. Chicago Live! is recorded for WGN-AM radio and will be broadcast on Saturday, Feb. 16 at 11 p.m. Tickets are $25 and on sale now. 7 p.m. Ravinia, Bennett Gordon Hall, 201 St. Johns Ave., Highland Park.
Monthly Printers Row live author events are a key feature of the larger Printers Row literary membership program, which also includes the subscription-only weekly Printers Row Journal, weekly fiction inserts and the annual, free Printers Row Lit Fest, scheduled for June 8 and 9 in Chicago's South Loop area. Printers Row author events are open to the public.
- The Tribune will host Printers Row Short Story Night on Jan. 23. Join past Nelson Algren Short Story Prize award winners as they kick off the 2013 contest with a stimulating evening focusing on the process of creative writing. Tribune literary editor Elizabeth Taylor will guide the discussion with winners Baird Harper, David Michael Kaplan, Billy Lombardo, Joe Meno and Jeremy Wilson. There will be ample opportunities for questions about writing challenges and conundrums. The event will be held at the Tribune Tower. Tickets are $15.
- On Jan. 29 at Printers Row: Lawrence Wright, Tribune religion reporter Manya Brachear will interview the Pulitzer Prize-winning author about his seventh book, "Going Clear: Scientology, Hollywood and the Prison of Belief." Wright's latest book explores the inner workings of Scientology and its two leaders, L. Ron Hubbard and his successor, David Miscavige. Tickets are $15 for the event hosted at the Tribune Tower at 7 p.m. Wright will meet Printers Row members at a special reception at 6:30 p.m.
- Press Pass: Jamaica Kincaid on Feb. 21 welcomes Kincaid to the Tribune Tower for her only Chicago appearance in support of her first novel in 10 years, "See Now Then." Caribbean writer Kincaid meshes autobiography with archetypes as the metaphysical tale of the unraveling of an unlikely marriage turns into a fable of love, betrayal and loss. Tickets are $15 and the event starts at 7 p.m. Kincaid will meet Printers Row members at a special reception at 6:30 p.m.
TribU begins 2013 with an ambitious lineup of classes, seminars and workshops. TribU programs are taught by Tribune staff and industry experts and focus on professional development and personal enrichment.
- The TribU digital courses scheduled include Podcasting 101: Produce, Publish, Promote on Jan. 29 and the three-part series on How to Create Your Own Blog Feb. 5, 19 and 26. On Feb. 20, Tribune photographs will lead TribU: Your Photography Portfolio. For detailed descriptions and pricing information please visit tribnation.com/events.
- On Jan. 21, 28 and Feb. 24 join Tribune reporters and editors in a three-part class TribU: Current Events. This current-events discussion, led by Tribune business planning editor Andrea Hanis, covers the news of the moment across a variety of print, broadcast, digital and social media sources. Topics in this three-part class will vary but may include anything from breaking news to presidential politics to Chicago civic issues. Participants will meet at the Tribune Tower and hear from reporters and editors, including columnists Eric Zorn and Melissa Harris, to discuss how to manage the flow of information and share thoughts and questions on how the news is covered. Ticket are $100 for the three-part series.
The 2013 Trib Nation calendar will be updated on an ongoing basis. Additional details and links to purchase tickets for Trib Nation program are available at tribnation.com/events. Tribune digitalPLUS members are also eligible for a limited number of free tickets to all Trib Nation events. To take advantage of event tickets and for more information visit members.chicagotribune.com.
About the Chicago Tribune
For 166 years, the Chicago Tribune has been a market-leading publication of the Tribune Company. Reaching five million readers each week in print, online and through radio, television and live events, the Tribune is known for its public service journalism and watchdog reporting. In 2010, the Tribune launched Trib Nation, a community outreach and audience engagement program that includes a broad menu of live events such as Press Pass, which focus on specialty coverage areas by critics and columnists; Chicago Forward, a series of public policy discussions; literary events including Printers Row, Lit Fest, and Literary Awards; and TribU classes and seminars for personal and professional enrichment.
SOURCE Chicago Tribune
SYS-CON Events announced today that MobiDev will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. MobiDev is a software company that develops and delivers turn-key mobile apps, websites, web services, and complex software systems for startups and enterprises. Since 2009 it has grown from a small group of passionate engineers and business managers to a full-scale mobile software company with over 200 develope...
May. 27, 2016 06:15 AM EDT Reads: 2,504
WebRTC is bringing significant change to the communications landscape that will bridge the worlds of web and telephony, making the Internet the new standard for communications. Cloud9 took the road less traveled and used WebRTC to create a downloadable enterprise-grade communications platform that is changing the communication dynamic in the financial sector. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Leo Papadopoulos, CTO of Cloud9, will discuss the importance of WebRTC and how it enables companies to fo...
May. 27, 2016 05:15 AM EDT Reads: 2,478
SYS-CON Events announced today that MangoApps will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. MangoApps provides modern company intranets and team collaboration software, allowing workers to stay connected and productive from anywhere in the world and from any device. For more information, please visit https://www.mangoapps.com/.
May. 27, 2016 05:00 AM EDT Reads: 696
Companies can harness IoT and predictive analytics to sustain business continuity; predict and manage site performance during emergencies; minimize expensive reactive maintenance; and forecast equipment and maintenance budgets and expenditures. Providing cost-effective, uninterrupted service is challenging, particularly for organizations with geographically dispersed operations.
May. 27, 2016 05:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,893
SYS-CON Events announced today TechTarget has been named “Media Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7–9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, and the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. TechTarget is the Web’s leading destination for serious technology buyers researching and making enterprise technology decisions. Its extensive global networ...
May. 27, 2016 04:45 AM EDT Reads: 3,112
SYS-CON Events announced today that EastBanc Technologies will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. EastBanc Technologies has been working at the frontier of technology since 1999. Today, the firm provides full-lifecycle software development delivering flexible technology solutions that seamlessly integrate with existing systems – whether on premise or cloud. EastBanc Technologies partners with p...
May. 27, 2016 04:30 AM EDT Reads: 2,150
SYS-CON Events announced today that Tintri Inc., a leading producer of VM-aware storage (VAS) for virtualization and cloud environments, will exhibit at the 18th International CloudExpo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, New York, and the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
May. 27, 2016 04:15 AM EDT Reads: 2,267
SYS-CON Events announced today that BMC Software has been named "Siver Sponsor" of SYS-CON's 18th Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7-9, 2015 at the Javits Center in New York, New York. BMC is a global leader in innovative software solutions that help businesses transform into digital enterprises for the ultimate competitive advantage. BMC Digital Enterprise Management is a set of innovative IT solutions designed to make digital business fast, seamless, and optimized from mainframe to mo...
May. 27, 2016 01:45 AM EDT Reads: 2,093
A strange thing is happening along the way to the Internet of Things, namely far too many devices to work with and manage. It has become clear that we'll need much higher efficiency user experiences that can allow us to more easily and scalably work with the thousands of devices that will soon be in each of our lives. Enter the conversational interface revolution, combining bots we can literally talk with, gesture to, and even direct with our thoughts, with embedded artificial intelligence, wh...
May. 27, 2016 01:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,954
SYS-CON Events announced today that Alert Logic, Inc., the leading provider of Security-as-a-Service solutions for the cloud, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Alert Logic, Inc., provides Security-as-a-Service for on-premises, cloud, and hybrid infrastructures, delivering deep security insight and continuous protection for customers at a lower cost than traditional security solutions. Ful...
May. 27, 2016 12:45 AM EDT Reads: 2,717
The IoT is changing the way enterprises conduct business. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Eric Hoffman, Vice President at EastBanc Technologies, discuss how businesses can gain an edge over competitors by empowering consumers to take control through IoT. We'll cite examples such as a Washington, D.C.-based sports club that leveraged IoT and the cloud to develop a comprehensive booking system. He'll also highlight how IoT can revitalize and restore outdated business models, making them profitable...
May. 27, 2016 12:45 AM EDT Reads: 2,781
The essence of data analysis involves setting up data pipelines that consist of several operations that are chained together – starting from data collection, data quality checks, data integration, data analysis and data visualization (including the setting up of interaction paths in that visualization). In our opinion, the challenges stem from the technology diversity at each stage of the data pipeline as well as the lack of process around the analysis.
May. 27, 2016 12:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,361
SYS-CON Events announced today that Commvault, a global leader in enterprise data protection and information management, has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7–9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, and the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Commvault is a leading provider of data protection and information management...
May. 27, 2016 12:00 AM EDT Reads: 3,053
Designing IoT applications is complex, but deploying them in a scalable fashion is even more complex. A scalable, API first IaaS cloud is a good start, but in order to understand the various components specific to deploying IoT applications, one needs to understand the architecture of these applications and figure out how to scale these components independently. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Nara Rajagopalan is CEO of Accelerite, will discuss the fundamental architecture of IoT applications, ...
May. 27, 2016 12:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,162
With major technology companies and startups seriously embracing IoT strategies, now is the perfect time to attend @ThingsExpo 2016 in New York and Silicon Valley. Learn what is going on, contribute to the discussions, and ensure that your enterprise is as "IoT-Ready" as it can be! Internet of @ThingsExpo, taking place Nov 3-5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, is co-located with 17th Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty ...
May. 26, 2016 11:30 PM EDT Reads: 2,577
As cloud and storage projections continue to rise, the number of organizations moving to the cloud is escalating and it is clear cloud storage is here to stay. However, is it secure? Data is the lifeblood for government entities, countries, cloud service providers and enterprises alike and losing or exposing that data can have disastrous results. There are new concepts for data storage on the horizon that will deliver secure solutions for storing and moving sensitive data around the world. ...
May. 26, 2016 11:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,254
18th Cloud Expo, taking place June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. Cloud computing is now being embraced by a majority of enterprises of all sizes. Yesterday's debate about public vs. private has transformed into the reality of hybrid cloud: a recent survey shows that 74% of enterprises have a hybrid cloud strategy. Meanwhile, 94% of enterprises are using some...
May. 26, 2016 10:45 PM EDT Reads: 3,117
SoftLayer operates a global cloud infrastructure platform built for Internet scale. With a global footprint of data centers and network points of presence, SoftLayer provides infrastructure as a service to leading-edge customers ranging from Web startups to global enterprises. SoftLayer's modular architecture, full-featured API, and sophisticated automation provide unparalleled performance and control. Its flexible unified platform seamlessly spans physical and virtual devices linked via a world...
May. 26, 2016 10:15 PM EDT Reads: 2,094
In his keynote at 18th Cloud Expo, Andrew Keys, Co-Founder of ConsenSys Enterprise, will provide an overview of the evolution of the Internet and the Database and the future of their combination – the Blockchain. Andrew Keys is Co-Founder of ConsenSys Enterprise. He comes to ConsenSys Enterprise with capital markets, technology and entrepreneurial experience. Previously, he worked for UBS investment bank in equities analysis. Later, he was responsible for the creation and distribution of life ...
May. 26, 2016 10:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,896
In his session at 18th Cloud Expo, Bruce Swann, Senior Product Marketing Manager at Adobe, will discuss how the Adobe Marketing Cloud can help marketers embrace opportunities for personalized, relevant and real-time customer engagement across offline (direct mail, point of sale, call center) and digital (email, website, SMS, mobile apps, social networks, connected objects). Bruce Swann has more than 15 years of experience working with digital marketing disciplines like web analytics, social med...
May. 26, 2016 09:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,269