|By Marketwired .
|January 11, 2013 08:00 AM EST
SAUSALITO, CA -- (Marketwire) -- 01/11/13 -- One in five employees plan to look for a new job in the next three months assuming the economy stays the same or improves, according to the Q4 Glassdoor Employment Confidence Survey. With more people entering the job market, candidates will have to compete to land coveted jobs. To give job seekers a leg up in the interview process, Glassdoor, a jobs and career community, released today its annual list of Top 25 Oddball Interview Questions, which is compiled from the tens of thousands of interview questions shared by job candidates over the past year. This list is designed to help job seekers prepare for challenging or unexpected questions that may arise during an interview.
Glassdoor's Top 25 Oddball Interview Questions for 2013:
1. "If you were to get rid of one state in the US, which would it be and why?" -- Asked at Forrester Research, Research Associate candidate. More Forrester Research interview questions.
2. "How many cows are in Canada?" -- Asked at Google, Local Data Quality Evaluator candidate. More Google interview questions.
3. "How many quarters would you need to reach the height of the Empire State building?" -- Asked at JetBlue, Pricing/Revenue Management Analyst candidate. More JetBlue interview questions.
4. "A penguin walks through that door right now wearing a sombrero. What does he say and why is he here?" -- Asked at Clark Construction Group, Office Engineer candidate. More Clark Construction Group interview questions.
5. "What song best describes your work ethic?" -- Asked at Dell, Consumer Sales candidate. More Dell interview questions.
6. "Jeff Bezos walks into your office and says you can have a million dollars to launch your best entrepreneurial idea. What is it?" -- Asked at Amazon, Product Development candidate. More Amazon interview questions.
7. "What do you think about when you are alone in your car?" -- Asked at Gallup, Associate Analyst candidate. More Gallup interview questions.
8. "How would you rate your memory?" -- Asked at Marriott, Front Desk Associate candidate. More Marriott interview questions.
9. "Name 3 previous Nobel Prize Winners." -- Asked at BenefitsCONNECT, Office Manager candidate. More BenefitsCONNECT interview questions.
10. "Can you say: 'Peter Pepper Picked a Pickled Pepper' and cross-sell a washing machine at the same time?" -- Asked at MasterCard, Call Centre candidate. More MasterCard interview questions.
11. "If we came to your house for dinner, what would you prepare for us?" -- Asked at Trader Joe's, Crew candidate. More Trader Joe's interview questions.
12. "How would people communicate in a perfect world?" -- Asked at Novell, Software Engineer candidate. More Novell interview questions.
13. "How do you make a tuna sandwich?" -- Asked at Astron Consulting, Office Manager candidate. More Astron Consulting interview questions.
14. "My wife and I are going on vacation, where would you recommend?" -- Asked at PricewaterhouseCoopers, Advisory Associate candidate. More PricewaterhouseCoopers interview questions.
15. "You are a head chef at a restaurant and your team has been selected to be on Iron Chef. How do you prepare your team for the competition and how do you leverage the competition for your restaurant?" -- Asked at Accenture, Business Analyst candidate. More Accenture interview questions.
16. "Estimate how many windows are in New York." -- Asked at Bain & Company, Associate Consultant candidate. More Bain & Company interview questions.
17. "What's your favorite song? Perform it for us now." -- Asked at LivingSocial, Adventures City Manager candidate. More LivingSocial interview questions.
18. "Calculate the angle of two clock pointers when time is 11:50." -- Asked at Bank of America, Software Developer candidate. More Bank of America interview questions.
19. "Have you ever stolen a pen from work?" -- Asked at Jiffy Software, Software Architect candidate. More Jiffy Software interview questions.
20. "Pick two celebrities to be your parents." -- Asked at Urban Outfitters, Sales Associate candidate. More Urban Outfitters interview questions.
21. "What kitchen utensil would you be?" -- Asked at Bandwidth.com, Marketer candidate. More Bandwidth.com interview questions.
22. "If you had turned your cell phone to silent, and it rang really loudly despite it being on silent, what would you tell me?" -- Asked at Kimberly-Clark, Biomedical Engineer candidate. More Kimberly-Clark interview questions.
23. "On a scale from one to ten, rate me as an interviewer." -- Asked at Kraft Foods, General Laborer candidate. More Kraft Foods interview questions.
24. "If you could be anyone else, who would it be?" -- Asked at Salesforce.com, Sales Representative candidate. More Salesforce.com interview questions.
25. "How would you direct someone else on how to cook an omelet?" -- Asked at PETCO, Analyst candidate. More PETCO interview questions.
While job candidates should be ready to take on some challenging and oddball interview questions, they should also expect to be asked some basic or common interview questions. For example, many candidates should prepare to respond to questions like: "What are your strengths and weaknesses?", "Why did you apply for this job?" and "Where do you see yourself in 5 years?" Glassdoor has also compiled a list of the Most Common Interview Questions.
Interview questions are part of the Interview Reviews feature on Glassdoor which offer insights into the interview process for specific jobs at specific companies -- all for free. To date, more than 235,000 interview reviews and 300,000 interview questions around the world have been collected. Interview Reviews include details from actual job candidates about the entire hiring process, including the interview format, how the interview was achieved (e.g. applied online, connected via a recruiter, etc.), average duration, and ratings on the overall interview experience. Each review also includes details as to whether a job offer was made and whether it was accepted or declined, along with any negotiation tips.
See past Oddball Interview Questions on the Glassdoor Blog:
MULTIMEDIA PRODUCERS/EDITORS: A video featuring employees answering Oddball Interview Questions is available to embed and for broadcast use: http://bit.ly/TXyi3B.
Glassdoor is a career community that is changing the way people find jobs and companies recruit top talent. Members can uncover Inside Connections at a company through their Facebook network, see the latest job listings, as well as get access to proprietary user-generated content including company-specific salary reports, ratings and reviews, CEO approval ratings, interview questions and reviews, office photos, and more. Plus, employers can get involved in the conversation through Glassdoor's suite of recruiting solutions that influence target job candidates when they're making career decisions. Glassdoor, founded in 2007, is backed by Benchmark Capital, Sutter Hill Ventures, Battery Ventures and DAG Ventures. More information about Glassdoor can be found on its blog, and by following the company on Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn.
Glassdoor.com is a registered trademark of Glassdoor, Inc.
Embedded Video Available
Embedded Video Available: http://www2.marketwire.com/mw/frame_mw?attachid=2199210
Add to Digg Bookmark with del.icio.us Add to Newsvine
SYS-CON Events announced today that LeaseWeb USA, a cloud Infrastructure-as-a-Service (IaaS) provider, will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. LeaseWeb is one of the world's largest hosting brands. The company helps customers define, develop and deploy IT infrastructure tailored to their exact business needs, by combining various kinds cloud solutions.
Jul. 25, 2016 09:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,110
Whether your IoT service is connecting cars, homes, appliances, wearable, cameras or other devices, one question hangs in the balance – how do you actually make money from this service? The ability to turn your IoT service into profit requires the ability to create a monetization strategy that is flexible, scalable and working for you in real-time. It must be a transparent, smoothly implemented strategy that all stakeholders – from customers to the board – will be able to understand and comprehe...
Jul. 25, 2016 09:30 AM EDT Reads: 2,089
The cloud market growth today is largely in public clouds. While there is a lot of spend in IT departments in virtualization, these aren’t yet translating into a true “cloud” experience within the enterprise. What is stopping the growth of the “private cloud” market?
In his general session at 18th Cloud Expo, Nara Rajagopalan, CEO of Accelerite, explored the challenges in deploying, managing, and getting adoption for a private cloud within an enterprise. What are the key differences between wh...
Jul. 25, 2016 09:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,978
SYS-CON Events announced today that 910Telecom will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Housed in the classic Denver Gas & Electric Building, 910 15th St., 910Telecom is a carrier-neutral telecom hotel located in the heart of Denver. Adjacent to CenturyLink, AT&T, and Denver Main, 910Telecom offers connectivity to all major carriers, Internet service providers, Internet backbones and ...
Jul. 25, 2016 08:50 AM EDT Reads: 207
SYS-CON Events announced today that Venafi, the Immune System for the Internet™ and the leading provider of Next Generation Trust Protection, will exhibit at @DevOpsSummit at 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Venafi is the Immune System for the Internet™ that protects the foundation of all cybersecurity – cryptographic keys and digital certificates – so they can’t be misused by bad guys in attacks...
Jul. 25, 2016 08:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,262
Large scale deployments present unique planning challenges, system commissioning hurdles between IT and OT and demand careful system hand-off orchestration.
In his session at @ThingsExpo, Jeff Smith, Senior Director and a founding member of Incenergy, will discuss some of the key tactics to ensure delivery success based on his experience of the last two years deploying Industrial IoT systems across four continents.
Jul. 25, 2016 06:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,467
There will be new vendors providing applications, middleware, and connected devices to support the thriving IoT ecosystem. This essentially means that electronic device manufacturers will also be in the software business. Many will be new to building embedded software or robust software. This creates an increased importance on software quality, particularly within the Industrial Internet of Things where business-critical applications are becoming dependent on products controlled by software. Qua...
Jul. 25, 2016 05:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,356
SYS-CON Events has announced today that Roger Strukhoff has been named conference chair of Cloud Expo and @ThingsExpo 2016 Silicon Valley.
The 19th Cloud Expo and 6th @ThingsExpo will take place on November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
"The Internet of Things brings trillions of dollars of opportunity to developers and enterprise IT, no matter how you measure it," stated Roger Strukhoff. "More importantly, it leverages the power of devices and the Interne...
Jul. 25, 2016 05:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,014
Machine Learning helps make complex systems more efficient. By applying advanced Machine Learning techniques such as Cognitive Fingerprinting, wind project operators can utilize these tools to learn from collected data, detect regular patterns, and optimize their own operations.
In his session at 18th Cloud Expo, Stuart Gillen, Director of Business Development at SparkCognition, discussed how research has demonstrated the value of Machine Learning in delivering next generation analytics to imp...
Jul. 25, 2016 04:15 AM EDT Reads: 2,401
In addition to all the benefits, IoT is also bringing new kind of customer experience challenges - cars that unlock themselves, thermostats turning houses into saunas and baby video monitors broadcasting over the internet. This list can only increase because while IoT services should be intuitive and simple to use, the delivery ecosystem is a myriad of potential problems as IoT explodes complexity. So finding a performance issue is like finding the proverbial needle in the haystack.
Jul. 25, 2016 03:45 AM EDT Reads: 2,173
The Internet of Things will challenge the status quo of how IT and development organizations operate. Or will it? Certainly the fog layer of IoT requires special insights about data ontology, security and transactional integrity. But the developmental challenges are the same: People, Process and Platform.
In his session at @ThingsExpo, Craig Sproule, CEO of Metavine, demonstrated how to move beyond today's coding paradigm and shared the must-have mindsets for removing complexity from the develo...
Jul. 25, 2016 01:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,237
SYS-CON Events announced today that MangoApps will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
MangoApps provides modern company intranets and team collaboration software, allowing workers to stay connected and productive from anywhere in the world and from any device.
Jul. 25, 2016 01:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,259
Basho Technologies has announced the latest release of Basho Riak TS, version 1.3. Riak TS is an enterprise-grade NoSQL database optimized for Internet of Things (IoT). The open source version enables developers to download the software for free and use it in production as well as make contributions to the code and develop applications around Riak TS. Enhancements to Riak TS make it quick, easy and cost-effective to spin up an instance to test new ideas and build IoT applications. In addition to...
Jul. 25, 2016 12:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,881
The 19th International Cloud Expo has announced that its Call for Papers is open. Cloud Expo, to be held November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, brings together Cloud Computing, Big Data, Internet of Things, DevOps, Digital Transformation, Microservices and WebRTC to one location.
With cloud computing driving a higher percentage of enterprise IT budgets every year, it becomes increasingly important to plant your flag in this fast-expanding business opportuni...
Jul. 25, 2016 12:15 AM EDT Reads: 2,495
"We've discovered that after shows 80% if leads that people get, 80% of the conversations end up on the show floor, meaning people forget about it, people forget who they talk to, people forget that there are actual business opportunities to be had here so we try to help out and keep the conversations going," explained Jeff Mesnik, Founder and President of ContentMX, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 18th Cloud Expo, held June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY.
Jul. 24, 2016 11:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,283
“delaPlex Software provides software outsourcing services. We have a hybrid model where we have onshore developers and project managers that we can place anywhere in the U.S. or in Europe,” explained Manish Sachdeva, CEO at delaPlex Software, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at @ThingsExpo, held June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY.
Jul. 24, 2016 11:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,514
From wearable activity trackers to fantasy e-sports, data and technology are transforming the way athletes train for the game and fans engage with their teams.
In his session at @ThingsExpo, will present key data findings from leading sports organizations San Francisco 49ers, Orlando Magic NBA team. By utilizing data analytics these sports orgs have recognized new revenue streams, doubled its fan base and streamlined costs at its stadiums.
John Paul is the CEO and Founder of VenueNext. Prior ...
Jul. 24, 2016 10:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,994
IoT is rapidly changing the way enterprises are using data to improve business decision-making. In order to derive business value, organizations must unlock insights from the data gathered and then act on these.
In their session at @ThingsExpo, Eric Hoffman, Vice President at EastBanc Technologies, and Peter Shashkin, Head of Development Department at EastBanc Technologies, discussed how one organization leveraged IoT, cloud technology and data analysis to improve customer experiences and effi...
Jul. 24, 2016 10:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,968
The Internet of Things will challenge the status quo of how IT and development organizations operate. Or will it? Certainly the fog layer of IoT requires special insights about data ontology, security and transactional integrity. But the developmental challenges are the same: People, Process and Platform and how we integrate our thinking to solve complicated problems.
In his session at 19th Cloud Expo, Craig Sproule, CEO of Metavine, will demonstrate how to move beyond today's coding paradigm ...
Jul. 24, 2016 09:45 PM EDT Reads: 2,131
Internet of @ThingsExpo, taking place November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, is co-located with the 19th International Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world and ThingsExpo Silicon Valley Call for Papers is now open.
Jul. 24, 2016 09:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,474