|By PR Newswire||
|January 7, 2013 08:00 PM EST||
LAS VEGAS, January 8, 2013 /PRNewswire/ --
- Full HD 5" Reality Display with Mobile BRAVIA Engine 2 for super brightness and clarity
- Sony's media applications deliver rich user experiences and instant access to entertainment services
- Easy and fast One-touchfunctions to wirelessly share music, photos and videos across devices
- New stand-out Sony design with water and dust resistance
Sony Mobile Communications ("Sony Mobile") today introduces its new flagship Android smartphone, Xperia Z. With a 5" Full HD 1080p Reality Display, Snapdragon™ S4 Pro quad-core processor, 13 megapixel fast-capture camera and 4G LTE, Xperia Z has all the specifications expected from a premium smartphone. On top of this, it brings the best of Sony's unique technology, content, design and connectivity to deliver rich user experiences. Xperia Z will launch globally in Q1 2013.
"With Xperia Z, we are bringing over half a century of innovation in TV, imaging, music, film and gaming to create a superphone experience that truly stands out," said Kuni Suzuki, President and CEO, at Sony Mobile Communications. "With great specifications, Sony's media applications One-touch functions and outstanding battery life, Xperia Z is well positioned for leadership in the smartphone market. By putting smartphones at the heart of our strategy, Sony is enabling people to create, enjoy and share content and experiences like never before."
Intelligent Sony Technology
Xperia Z's razor sharp Reality Display, powered by Mobile BRAVIA® Engine 2, brings Sony's long-standing TV expertise to the smartphone and delivers an immersive viewing experience with super brightness and clarity. The smartphone shares capabilities with Sony digital cameras and features Exmor RS for mobile, the world's first image sensor with HDR (High Dynamic Range) video for smartphones. HDR technology gives clear images against strong backlight, so users can capture razor sharp pictures and videos whatever the conditions.
Xperia Z also includes Battery STAMINA Mode that can improve the standby time by four times or more*by automatically shutting down battery-draining apps whenever the screen is off and starting them up again when the screen is back on.
Discover, enjoy and share entertainment with Sony's media applications and One-touch functions
Sony media applications offer a consistent entertainment experience across a range of Sony devices. Pre-loaded on Xperia Z, the "WALKMAN", Album and Movies apps, enable discovery of on-line and off-line content through a single access point with new ways to enjoy and share that content. The "WALKMAN" application provides access to all your downloaded music, a library of 18 million songs to explore from Music Unlimited and Facebook social integration. The Movies application gives consumers access to over 100,000 movies and TV series from Video Unlimited while the Album application enables easy access to Facebook friends' photos as well as browsing photos by location.**
One-touch functions enable consumers to easily share music, photos and videos from their smartphone to an array of NFC-enabled Sony devices, including speakers, headphones and now TVs. With the new BRAVIA TV, also announced today, simply touch Xperia Z to the remote control of the TV to instantly enjoy your photos and videos on the big screen.
Two additions to Sony's range of NFC-enabled headsets were also introduced today, the Stereo Bluetooth™ Headset SBH20 and the Wireless Headset DR-BTN200M. Touch Xperia Z to either headset and begin listening to tracks instantly.
Stand-out design and durability
Precision engineered with premium materials, Xperia Z introduces a unique OmniBalance design with subtly rounded edges and smooth reflective surfaces on all sides. Despite its slim 7.9mm body, Xperia Z is highly durable with tempered glass and anti-shatter film on the front and back, as well as the highest levels of dust and water resistance*** (IP55 and IP57) found in a premium smartphone.
In selected markets, a design variant of Xperia Z - Xperia ZL - will also be released in Q1 2013. Xperia ZL delivers the same immersive entertainment experiences as Xperia Z but in a smaller form factor.
Xperia Z and Xperia ZL will launch on Android 4.1 (Jelly Bean) and will be upgraded to 4.2 shortly after launch for the latest Android user experience.
Key features for Xperia Z
- 5" 1080 x 1920p full HD Reality Display with Mobile BRAVIA® Engine 2
- 13MP Fast Capture camera with Exmor RS for mobile, HDR video, Superior Auto and Noise Reduction to effortlessly capture razor sharp pictures and videos in any conditions
- Dust and water resistant (IP55 & IP57) with a durable glass display
- 1.5 GHz asynchronous quad-core Snapdragon S4 processor with 2GB RAM
- Battery STAMINA mode improves standby time by at least 4 times
* Based on testing done with default settings, default accounts and applications for Skype™ and Twitter downloaded to the phone. The more applications installed, the bigger the effect of Battery STAMINA Mode.
**Sony Entertainment Network services are subject to availabilityby region, please see http://www.sonyentertainmentnetwork.com for more details.
*** In compliance with IP55 and IP57, Xperia Z is protected against the ingress of dust and is water resistant. Provided that all ports and covers are firmly closed, the phone is (i) protected against low pressure jets of water from all practicable directions in compliance with IP 55; and/or (ii) can be kept under 1 meter of freshwater for up to 30 minutes in compliance with IP 57.
About Sony Mobile Communications
Sony Mobile Communications is a subsidiary of Tokyo-based Sony Corporation, a leading global innovator of audio, video, game, communications, key device and information technology products for both the consumer and professional markets. With its music, pictures, computer entertainment and online businesses, Sony is uniquely positioned to be the leading electronics and entertainment company in the world. Through its Xperia™ smartphone portfolio, Sony Mobile Communications delivers the best of Sony technology, premium content and services, and easy connectivity to Sony's world of networked entertainment experiences. For more information: http://www.sonymobile.com
1) Facts and features may vary depending on local variant. 2) Operational times are affected by network preferences, type of SIM card, connected accessories and various activities e.g. playing games. Kit contents and colour options may differ from market to market. The full range of accessories may not be available in every market. 3) Icons displayed are for illustrative purposes only. The homescreen may appear different in your product. Some features may not be available in your country or area.
Sony, make.believe, WALKMAN, WALKMAN W logo, Sony Entertainment Network, PlayMemories Online, Exmor RS, Clear phase, BRAVIA, and xLoud are trademarks or registered trademarks of Sony Corporation. Xperia, Xperia Z, Xperia ZL PlayNow, SensMe, and TrackID are trademarks or registered trademarks of Sony Mobile Communications AB. PlayStation is a trademark or registered trademark of Sony Computer Entertainment. Media Go is a trademark of Sony Electronics. Android, Google Play, Google Chrome, Google Voice, Latitude, YouTube, Google Maps and Google Mail are trademarks of Google Inc. Snapdragon is a trademark of Qualcomm Incorporated. Twitter is a trademark or registered trademark of Twitter, Inc. Facebook is a trademark or registered trademark of Facebook, Inc. Microsoft ActiveSync is a trademark or registered trademark of Microsoft, Inc. Bluetooth is a trademark or registered trademark, and any use of such mark is under license by Sony Mobile. Neoreader is a trademark or registered trademark of NeoMedia Technologies Inc. microSD is a trademark or registered trademark of SanDisk Corporation. eCompass is a trademark or registered trademark of Genoptix, Inc. Wi-Fi is a registered trademark of the Wi-Fi Alliance. DLNA Certified is a trademark or registered trademark of the Digital Living Network Alliance. SyncML is a trademark or registered trademark of the Open Mobile Alliance. Skype is a trademark or registered trademark of Skype, Ltd. LTE is a trademark or a registered trademark of ETSI. Other product and company names mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners. Any rights not expressly granted herein are reserved. All terms are subject to change without prior notice.
Additional information regarding trademarks may be located on our website at: http://www.sonymobile.com/global-en/legal/trademarks-and-copyright/.
Xperia Z specifications All services mentioned in this leaflet may not be available in every market. Colours Black Purple White Facts Size: 139x71x7.9 mm Weight: 146 grams 1.5 GHz Qualcomm APQ8064+MDM9215M Quad Core Adreno 320 Google(TM) Android(TM) 4.1 (Jelly Bean) Camera 13.1 megapixel camera 16x digital zoom Auto focus Burst Mode HDR for both picture/movie Face detection Flash/Pulsed LED Flash/Photo light Front-facing camera 2.1MP (1080p video)) Geotagging HD video recording (1080p) Image stabiliser Object tracking Picture Effect Quick Launch Red-eye reduction Scene recognition Self-timer Send to web Smile detection Sony Exmor RS(R) for mobile image sensor Superior Auto Sweep Panorama Touch capture Touch focus White balance Music 3D Surround Sound (VPT) Album art Bluetooth(TM) stereo (A2DP) ClearAudio+ Clear bass Clear Phase(TM) Clear stereo Dynamic normalizer Music tones (MP3/AAC) PlayNow(TM) service* SensMe(TM) TrackID(TM) music recognition* "WALKMAN" application xLoud(TM) Experience Internet Bookmarks Google Chrome(TM) Google Play(TM) Google(TM) search* Google Voice(TM) Search* Google Maps(TM) for Mobile with Street view and Latitude(TM)* NeoReader(TM) barcode scanner Pan & zoom Web browser (WebKit(TM) Communication Call list Facebook(TM) application* Google Talk(TM) application* Noise suppression Polyphonic ringtones Speakerphone Twitter(TM)* Messaging Conversations Email Google Mail(TM)* Handwriting recognition Instant messaging Multimedia messaging (MMS) Predictive text input Sound recorder Text messaging (SMS) Voice input Design Auto rotation Face Unlock Gesture input IP57 (Water-resistant) & IP55 (Dust-proof) On-screen QWERTY keyboard Sensor on Lens Display Screenshot capturing Throw Touch screen Wallpaper Wide color gamut Entertainment 3D games Media browser Motion gaming PlayStation(R) Certified Radio (FM radio with RDS) Sony Entertainment Network* TV launcher Video streaming YouTube(TM)* Organiser Airplane mode Alarm clock Calculator Calendar Contacts Document readers eCompass(TM) Infinite button Notes Setup guide Stopwatch Tasks Timer Connectivity 3.5 mm audio jack (CTIA) aGPS* Bluetooth(TM) 4.0 wireless technology DLNA Certified(R) GLONASS* HDMI via MHL support Media Go(TM) Media Transfer Protocol support Micro USB support Native USB tethering NFC PC Companion Screen mirroring Synchronisation via Exchange ActiveSync(R) Synchronisation via Facebook(TM) Synchronisation via Google(TM) Synchronisation via SyncML(TM) USB charging USB High speed 2.0 support Xperia(TM) Link Wi-Fi(R) Wi-Fi(R) Hotspot functionality Display 16,777,216 colour TFT HD Reality Display with Sony Mobile BRAVIA(R) Engine 2 1920x1080 pixels 5.0 inches Shatter proof sheet on scratch-resistant glass Memory 2 GB RAM Up to 16 GB* microSD(TM) card, memory card slot (supporting up to 32GB) Networks UMTS HSPA+ 850 (Band V), 900 (Band VIII), 2100 (Band I) MHz GSM GPRS/EDGE 850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz LTE (Bands 1, 3, 5, 7, 8, 20) Battery life Talk time GSM: Up to 11 hrs* Standby time GSM: Up to 550 hrs* Talk time UMTS: Up to 14 hrs* Standby time UMTS: Up to 530 hrs* Standby time LTE: Up to 510 hrs* Music listening time: Up to 40 hrs Video playback time: Up to 5.5 hrs Battery: 2330 mAh minimum *Values are according to GSM Association Battery Life Measurement Technique. Battery performance may vary depending on network conditions and configurations, and phone usage. In the kit Xperia(TM) Z, embedded battery, Sony MH-EX300AP headset, charger, micro USB cable for charging, synchronisation and file transfer, and user documentation.
FOR MEDIA INFORMATION PLEASE CONTACT:
For more information, images and videos please visit: http://www.sonymobile.com/pressreleases
Sony Mobile Communications, Global Communications & PR department
General Press: +44-208-762-5858
- The Odd Couple: Marrying Agile and Waterfall
- Fanning the Flames of Agile
- Internet of @ThingsExpo Silicon Valley Call for Papers Now Open
- April and May 2014 Server and StorageIO Update newsletter
- MangoApps to Exhibit at Cloud Expo New York
- WSO2 Introduces Industry’s First Enterprise Identity Bus With the Launch of WSO2 Identity Server 5.0
- Practical WebRTC: From API to Solution
- Last Chance to Register for LTE World Summit
- The Butterfly Effect Within IT
- The Business Challenges Impacting Digital Transformation
- Stay Current on the Internet of Things
- Setting the Bar for Agile Architecture
- How to Get the Best From Virtual Employees
- Global Financial Firms Can Effectively Address Technology Risk Guidelines
- .CLUB Domain Name Extension Now Available for General Registration
- MapR Technologies Announces Upcoming June Conferences
- More Mainstream Businesses Depend on Open Source
- AMAG, HP, ImageWare Systems, March Networks and StrikeForce Discuss Security Solutions in SecuritySolutionsWatch.com Interviews
- F5 to Present at Upcoming Technology and Investor Conferences
- The Odd Couple: Marrying Agile and Waterfall
- Flexera Software’s InstallShield 2014 Release Introduces New Support of Cloud and Virtualised Installations, High-DPI Displays and Touch Devices, and Agile Development
- FlexNet Manager Suite Wins CODiE Award for Best Asset Management Solution - 4th CODiE Award for Flexera Software
- Fanning the Flames of Agile
- WSO2 Guest Speakers at WSO2Con Europe 2014 Will Examine Technology Developments and Best Practices Enabling the Connected Business
- The Top 150 Players in Cloud Computing
- Who Are The All-Time Heroes of i-Technology?
- Where Are RIA Technologies Headed in 2008?
- Success, Arrogance, Rise and Fall
- AJAX World RIA Conference & Expo Kicks Off in New York City
- The Top 250 Players in the Cloud Computing Ecosystem
- Personal Branding Checklist
- i-Technology Viewpoint: Attack of the Blogs
- Exclusive Q&A with Jeff Haynie, Co-Founder & CEO, Appcelerator
- Cloud People: A Who's Who of Cloud Computing
- Ulitzer Names the World's 30 Most Influential Cloud Computing Bloggers
- Web 2.0 News and Wrapping Up "Real-World AJAX" Seminar