|By PR Newswire||
|January 7, 2013 06:21 AM EST||
SHANGHAI, Jan. 7, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- With 200 million households belonging to the consuming classes, China's second to fourth tier cities are arguably the most important consumer segment in the world. But they are tight-fisted. In 2011, first tier markets had a disposable income value of 1 trillion RMB, while second to fourth tier cities had a combined disposable income value of roughly 8 trillion RMB1. It is no surprise that advertising spend in Tier 2 to 3 markets was more than four times greater than Tier 1 markets, as the consuming class population is 7 times bigger2.
Ogilvy & Mather China's consumer insights and trends team Discovery revisited lower tier markets in their most recent study, "China Beyond – Change & Continuity," marking the third time in the last seven years that the team has focused on lower tier cities. Based on research over a span of nine months, the 200+ paged book is packed with data, illustrated with photos and rich in stories about the everyday lives of the people who inhabit these cities.
"'China Beyond - Change & Continuity' is sweeping in its scope, a book that leaves no nook or cranny in the lower tier landscape unexplored. From the intimate domestic spaces to the online bridge to the world, from the frenetic warren-like wholesale markets to the expansive parks where the young whizz on rollerblades in the shadow of granite statues of revolutionaries, this is a record and commentary of a China that is once again poised at the brink of change," said Scott Spirit, Chief Strategy Officer, WPP Group.
The book finds that while some constants remain, a lot of change has occurred as well. While traditional values such as family ties remain intact, a new breed of youth has emerged who do not necessarily wish to abide by their families' expectations. Spurred by job creation, the availability of high quality housing and education, and a relaxed pace of life, the first wave of reverse migration is now in full swing – particularly those who migrated to Beijing, Shanghai and Guangzhou a decade ago and have now realized that after years of hard work, they are still unable to afford homes, cars or their child's education. With these interests at heart, shoppers are embracing e-commerce with enthusiasm and snapping up deals on products that are unavailable in their local stores. Alibaba's Tmall, a hugely popular e-commerce platform for local and international brands to sell in mainland China, have rendered bigger brands as more accessible to these lower tier consumers. These lower-tier residents are hungry for new experiences and have time at their leisure, so that local businesses able to can often occupy these consumers for hours.
"China's lower-tier settings are no longer a world away," said Shenan Chuang, CEO of O&M Greater China. "The changes in the consumer landscape are driven by the expansion of the Internet and other digital innovations that have allowed Chinese consumers to be much more cognizant of the world outside their cities or towns than they once were, even if they've never migrated themselves."
Notably, the study finds that:
- Food safety, environmental pollution and the rising cost of property and healthcare are the top concerns. These fears are based on the residents' own experiences, amplified by the rapid sharing of experiences through the Internet. Some local brands are tapping into this anxiety by marketing their products as "ecologically safe" or natural – even if the consumer are skeptical of those claims.
- There is a rise in compassion and belief in community values that is leading to community action. Many young people, particularly the post 90s generation that was once labeled as being selfish and ungrateful, are coming forward to make a difference. As social media has given this generation the means to express themselves, especially in smaller cities where the youth have few other channels available for expression, they are now much more outspoken with usually very emotional responses to current events. In addition, their solutions to problems can be quite creative.
- Lower tier residents appreciate their more natural and relaxed environment. In comparison to second tier cities, many of which are currently in the midst of a construction boom, those living in Tier 3 and 4 cities believe that their towns are less polluted, offer a more relaxed lifestyle, lower living costs, smoother public transportation and higher public security. Interestingly, a majority of fourth tier residents want to be entrepreneurs, whereas those in second and third tier cities prefer stable jobs in the government or SOEs (state-owned enterprises).
- There is a seasonality in purchasing trends that goes beyond Chinese New Year. The seasonality is most marked when teenagers leave home to attend university, or – more importantly for the lower tier – join the army. Parents buy their children new mobile phones, laptop computers, sportswear and new clothes for the challenging years ahead. China has also come up with its own version of Cyber Monday deals: Singles Day on November 11, when online retailers rack up huge sales mainly from Tier 2 to 4 shoppers, many of whom have taken advantage of the discounts on winter wear at the onset of the season.
- The affinity with open spaces continues to be strong. As reported in the previous studies about lower tier cities, many engagements and interactions happen in public. However, there are now many more opportunities and spaces for people to spend time with their families and friends. New public parks have emerged, as have Chinese government-designated scenic spots near the cities. New shopping malls have large interactive and entertainment zones where brands encourage visitors to sing, dance, roller-blade, fly kites, and graffiti on walls.
- Counterfeit brands have taken their game upmarket. Three years ago, fake brands stayed in the realm of FMCG and consumer durable goods. Perhaps due to crackdowns on harmful products by local authorities, these brands were not as visible this time. Instead, copycat luxury hotels have erected, including Hiyatt (a fake Hyatt) and Marvelot (a fake Marriott) as well as counterfeit fashion brands such as Jack Walk (right next door to a real Jack Jones) and S-Squared (a fake D-Squared). As the first wave of luxury shoppers takes root in lower tier markets, the emergence of these new fake brands serve as a learning experience for them.
- The mobile Internet has taken over and online shopping requires local connectors. Across the city tiers, youth and itinerant entrepreneurs alike are using Tencent QQ rather than sending text messages, comparing prices before making a purchase decision and listening to music on a digital device. Apple enjoys universal recognition as a great brand, but few people own Apple products as they say that other brands were "good enough for their needs." As much as they appreciate the choices, deals and convenience of e-commerce, many are uncertain about the quality of their purchases and seek guidance from trusted sources within their wider social circles.
Kunal Sinha, Chief Knowledge Officer, O&M China, who has led all three editions of the agency's research in lower-tier markets, observes, "Four or five years ago, we found that people in China's small towns were fiercely protective and proud of their traditional crafts and culture. Now they remain proud, but want to embrace modernity in not only what they wear, but also in the way they're doing up their homes, in their consumption of entertainment, and even in what they're eating. The local versions of Starbucks are doing roaring business!"
Strategies and Implications for Businesses
A few examples of what these insights mean for businesses in China:
- Brands should fuse health and beauty benefits in their branding. Consumers are suspicious that beauty products might be unhealthy, toxic, and unnatural – thus seeking reassurance about ingredients. The brand messages could be about "being beautiful is good for you," or when these products are being bought as gifts, that "I care about you, as much as your health."
- Involve the local community in public sanitation drives: organize clean neighborhood contests (with brands as sponsors and support from the local government). These initiatives create corporate social responsibility opportunities as well.
- Position technology brands around the themes of empowerment, connectivity and being smart. Lower tier residents want to feel that they have the same opportunities as those in bigger cities.
- Recruit and educate online connectors to become a brand's champion. Help them master their Weibo, Weixin and other blogging skills. Keep them updated with product news, as they are vital in instilling confidence amongst those who are just beginning to shop online. Provide assurances about product delivery and return policies.
- Build the short-distance travel destination market, enabled by bus and car travel. Seed ideas in the lower tier resident's mind about local destinations and start creating a range of options for various interest groups, such as cycling, camping, hiking, fishing, fresh fruit and vegetable picking, adventure sports, local music festivals and heritage exploration, etc.
(1) ACNielsen China: "Winning in China in 2011," 2011
To download the book cover: http://www.flickr.com/photos/ogilvychina_2011/8357369516/in/photostream
For photos or more information, please contact:
Ogilvy & Mather China
+86 (10) 8520 6223
About "China Beyond Change & Continuity"
"China Beyond" is an in-depth ethnographic and quantitative study into consumers, brands, communication and retail opportunities in China's second to four tier cities. From August 2011 to March 2012 the Ogilvy & Mather China Discovery team, in cooperation with TNS China, conducted field research in three provincial capitals (Chengdu, Changsha and Shenyang), three prefecture level cities and three county towns in Sichuan, Hunan and Liaoning provinces, covering a diverse expanse of geographic, cultural and economic regions. The study was conducted through home interviews with 48 families, 60 retailers and 15 internet cafe owners, combined with observations in shopping malls and public parks. Eighty percent of the respondent families were native to their city, 20 percent were migrants. The quantitative study, amongst 2,200 middle class families, surveyed their beliefs and attitudes towards family, life, risk, novelty, ambition and fashion. The study also aims to map out their shopping, media and entertainment habits and identify influences on purchase decisions.
About Ogilvy & Mather
Ogilvy & Mather is one of the largest marketing communications companies in the world. In 2012, O&M was named Cannes Lions Network of the Year and Most Effective Agency Network by the Effies Global Effectiveness Index. The company is comprised of industry leading units in all of the following disciplines: advertising; public relations and public affairs; branding and identity; shopper and retail marketing; healthcare communications; direct, digital, promotion and relationship marketing; consulting, research and analytics capabilities; branded content and entertainment; and specialist communications. O&M services Fortune Global 500 companies as well as local businesses through its network of more than 450 offices in 120 countries. It is a WPP company (NASDAQ: WPPGY). For more information, visit www.ogilvy.com, or follow us on Twitter at @OgilvyWW and on Facebook.com/Ogilvy.
SOURCE Ogilvy & Mather China
So I guess we’ve officially entered a new era of lean and mean. I say this with the announcement of Ubuntu Snappy Core, “designed for lightweight cloud container hosts running Docker and for smart devices,” according to Canonical. “Snappy Ubuntu Core is the smallest Ubuntu available, designed for security and efficiency in devices or on the cloud.” This first version of Snappy Ubuntu Core features secure app containment and Docker 1.6 (1.5 in main release), is available on public clouds, and for ARM and x86 devices on several IoT boards. It’s a Trend! This announcement comes just as...
Apr. 24, 2015 08:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,296
SYS-CON Events announced today the IoT Bootcamp – Jumpstart Your IoT Strategy, being held June 9–10, 2015, in conjunction with 16th Cloud Expo and Internet of @ThingsExpo at the Javits Center in New York City. This is your chance to jumpstart your IoT strategy. Combined with real-world scenarios and use cases, the IoT Bootcamp is not just based on presentations but includes hands-on demos and walkthroughs. We will introduce you to a variety of Do-It-Yourself IoT platforms including Arduino, Raspberry Pi, BeagleBone, Spark and Intel Edison. You will also get an overview of cloud technologies s...
Apr. 24, 2015 05:30 PM EDT Reads: 2,954
“In the past year we've seen a lot of stabilization of WebRTC. You can now use it in production with a far greater degree of certainty. A lot of the real developments in the past year have been in things like the data channel, which will enable a whole new type of application," explained Peter Dunkley, Technical Director at Acision, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at @ThingsExpo, held Nov 4–6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Apr. 24, 2015 03:00 PM EDT Reads: 4,376
Health care systems across the globe are under enormous strain, as facilities reach capacity and costs continue to rise. M2M and the Internet of Things have the potential to transform the industry through connected health solutions that can make care more efficient while reducing costs. In fact, Vodafone's annual M2M Barometer Report forecasts M2M applications rising to 57 percent in health care and life sciences by 2016. Lively is one of Vodafone's health care partners, whose solutions enable older adults to live independent lives while staying connected to loved ones. M2M will continue to gr...
Apr. 24, 2015 03:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,450
While not quite mainstream yet, WebRTC is starting to gain ground with Carriers, Enterprises and Independent Software Vendors (ISV’s) alike. WebRTC makes it easy for developers to add audio and video communications into their applications by using Web browsers as their platform. But like any market, every customer engagement has unique requirements, as well as constraints. And of course, one size does not fit all. In her session at WebRTC Summit, Dr. Natasha Tamaskar, Vice President, Head of Cloud and Mobile Strategy at GENBAND, will explore what is needed to take a real time communications ...
Apr. 24, 2015 03:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,746
The best mobile applications are augmented by dedicated servers, the Internet and Cloud services. Mobile developers should focus on one thing: writing the next socially disruptive viral app. Thanks to the cloud, they can focus on the overall solution, not the underlying plumbing. From iOS to Android and Windows, developers can leverage cloud services to create a common cross-platform backend to persist user settings, app data, broadcast notifications, run jobs, etc. This session provides a high level technical overview of many cloud services available to mobile app developers, includi...
Apr. 24, 2015 03:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,312
SYS-CON Events announced today that Vicom Computer Services, Inc., a provider of technology and service solutions, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. They are located at booth #427. Vicom Computer Services, Inc. is a progressive leader in the technology industry for over 30 years. Headquartered in the NY Metropolitan area. Vicom provides products and services based on today’s requirements around Unified Networks, Cloud Computing strategies, Virtualization around Software defined Data Ce...
Apr. 24, 2015 02:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,689
Dave will share his insights on how Internet of Things for Enterprises are transforming and making more productive and efficient operations and maintenance (O&M) procedures in the cleantech industry and beyond. Speaker Bio: Dave Landa is chief operating officer of Cybozu Corp (kintone US). Based in the San Francisco Bay Area, Dave has been on the forefront of the Cloud revolution driving strategic business development on the executive teams of multiple leading Software as a Services (SaaS) application providers dating back to 2004. Cybozu's kintone.com is a leading global BYOA (Build Your O...
Apr. 24, 2015 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,463
SYS-CON Events announced today that Ciqada will exhibit at SYS-CON's @ThingsExpo, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Ciqada™ makes it easy to connect your products to the Internet. By integrating key components - hardware, servers, dashboards, and mobile apps - into an easy-to-use, configurable system, your products can quickly and securely join the internet of things. With remote monitoring, control, and alert messaging capability, you will meet your customers' needs of tomorrow - today! Ciqada. Let your products take flight. For more inform...
Apr. 24, 2015 01:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,860
SYS-CON Media announced today that @WebRTCSummit Blog, the largest WebRTC resource in the world, has been launched. @WebRTCSummit Blog offers top articles, news stories, and blog posts from the world's well-known experts and guarantees better exposure for its authors than any other publication. @WebRTCSummit Blog can be bookmarked ▸ Here @WebRTCSummit conference site can be bookmarked ▸ Here
Apr. 24, 2015 01:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,456
What exactly is a cognitive application? In her session at 16th Cloud Expo, Ashley Hathaway, Product Manager at IBM Watson, will look at the services being offered by the IBM Watson Developer Cloud and what that means for developers and Big Data. She'll explore how IBM Watson and its partnerships will continue to grow and help define what it means to be a cognitive service, as well as take a look at the offerings on Bluemix. She will also check out how Watson and the Alchemy API team up to offer disruptive APIs to developers.
Apr. 24, 2015 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,788
The IoT Bootcamp is coming to Cloud Expo | @ThingsExpo on June 9-10 at the Javits Center in New York. Instructor. Registration is now available at http://iotbootcamp.sys-con.com/ Instructor Janakiram MSV previously taught the famously successful Multi-Cloud Bootcamp at Cloud Expo | @ThingsExpo in November in Santa Clara. Now he is expanding the focus to Janakiram is the founder and CTO of Get Cloud Ready Consulting, a niche Cloud Migration and Cloud Operations firm that recently got acquired by Aditi Technologies. He is a Microsoft Regional Director for Hyderabad, India, and one of the f...
Apr. 24, 2015 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,608
SYS-CON Events announced today that GENBAND, a leading developer of real time communications software solutions, has been named “Silver Sponsor” of SYS-CON's WebRTC Summit, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. The GENBAND team will be on hand to demonstrate their newest product, Kandy. Kandy is a communications Platform-as-a-Service (PaaS) that enables companies to seamlessly integrate more human communications into their Web and mobile applications - creating more engaging experiences for their customers and boosting collaboration and productiv...
Apr. 24, 2015 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,672
The 17th International Cloud Expo has announced that its Call for Papers is open. 17th International Cloud Expo, to be held November 3-5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, brings together Cloud Computing, APM, APIs, Microservices, Security, Big Data, Internet of Things, DevOps and WebRTC to one location. With cloud computing driving a higher percentage of enterprise IT budgets every year, it becomes increasingly important to plant your flag in this fast-expanding business opportunity. Submit your speaking proposal today!
Apr. 24, 2015 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,276
SYS-CON Events announced today that BroadSoft, the leading global provider of Unified Communications and Collaboration (UCC) services to operators worldwide, has been named “Gold Sponsor” of SYS-CON's WebRTC Summit, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. BroadSoft is the leading provider of software and services that enable mobile, fixed-line and cable service providers to offer Unified Communications over their Internet Protocol networks. The Company’s core communications platform enables the delivery of a range of enterprise and consumer calling...
Apr. 24, 2015 11:30 AM EDT Reads: 2,483
SYS-CON Media announced today that @ThingsExpo Blog launched with 7,788 original stories. @ThingsExpo Blog offers top articles, news stories, and blog posts from the world's well-known experts and guarantees better exposure for its authors than any other publication. @ThingsExpo Blog can be bookmarked. The Internet of Things (IoT) is the most profound change in personal and enterprise IT since the creation of the Worldwide Web more than 20 years ago.
Apr. 24, 2015 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,475
The world's leading Cloud event, Cloud Expo has launched Microservices Journal on the SYS-CON.com portal, featuring over 19,000 original articles, news stories, features, and blog entries. DevOps Journal is focused on this critical enterprise IT topic in the world of cloud computing. Microservices Journal offers top articles, news stories, and blog posts from the world's well-known experts and guarantees better exposure for its authors than any other publication. Follow new article posts on Twitter at @MicroservicesE
Apr. 24, 2015 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,046
SYS-CON Events announced today that robomq.io will exhibit at SYS-CON's @ThingsExpo, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. robomq.io is an interoperable and composable platform that connects any device to any application. It helps systems integrators and the solution providers build new and innovative products and service for industries requiring monitoring or intelligence from devices and sensors.
Apr. 24, 2015 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,057
Wearable technology was dominant at this year’s International Consumer Electronics Show (CES) , and MWC was no exception to this trend. New versions of favorites, such as the Samsung Gear (three new products were released: the Gear 2, the Gear 2 Neo and the Gear Fit), shared the limelight with new wearables like Pebble Time Steel (the new premium version of the company’s previously released smartwatch) and the LG Watch Urbane. The most dramatic difference at MWC was an emphasis on presenting wearables as fashion accessories and moving away from the original clunky technology associated with t...
Apr. 24, 2015 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,996
SYS-CON Events announced today that Litmus Automation will exhibit at SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Litmus Automation’s vision is to provide a solution for companies that are in a rush to embrace the disruptive Internet of Things technology and leverage it for real business challenges. Litmus Automation simplifies the complexity of connected devices applications with Loop, a secure and scalable cloud platform.
Apr. 24, 2015 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,701