|By Marketwired .||
|December 31, 2012 10:36 AM EST||
BOSTON, MA -- (Marketwire) -- 12/31/12 -- As we approach the final hours of 2012, the travel experts at Cheapflights.com, the online leader in finding and publishing travel deals, are releasing their annual Top 6 Travel Trend Predictions for 2013. That's right -- six trends. In celebration of the world outlasting the Mayan calendar, we threw in one extra for good measure. Our team of experts see these trends taking center stage for Americans as they plan their travel in the new year.
Below is a brief glimpse into each of Cheapflights.com's Top 6 Travel Trend Predictions for 2013:
1. The 'Parental Piggyback' holiday -- join forces and save - With cash tight and no end in sight, most people are still going to be watching their pennies. Our experts are predicting that 2013 will see the 'bank of mom and dad' move into the vacation market in a big way, with the rise of the 'parental piggy back holiday' -- extended family groups getting away together to save cash. "Be very afraid" some will say -- and, ok, this may not exactly be everyone's idea of a 'getaway' but for overworked new parents, and grandparents complaining that they never see their grandchildren, this could be the only means to get an affordable break.
2. "Friend, Share, Like!" the Facebook "place-book" holiday inspiration trend; your virtual holiday album for 2013 - Increasingly, vacation planning starts with browsing through seductive images of blue skies, palm trees and white sandy beaches, followed by pictures of the local hotels and their amenities, right down to the dishes at the breakfast buffet. You can switch to Twitter to get a running commentary (and deals) on local sightseeing options and then take a look at dinner options on Pinterest. Before you book, check out friends' recommendations and advice or see how fellow travelers got on checking-in to the resort you are eyeing. 300 million images are posted to Facebook every day; and holiday photos are a major generator of 'likes' -- and envy. Little wonder that surfing social networks can be a handy way to get holiday inspiration, get a genuine opinion on that hotel -- and perhaps find that out-of-the-way boutique hideaway in the sun that (almost) no-one else knows about. In many ways it's like having your own personalized guide; the ultimate 'try before you buy.' For these reasons the travel gurus at Cheapflights think "place-book" holidays will be all the rage in 2013.
3. And on the flipside...Digital Detox - Ok, so you may have found your holiday on Facebook and you may be a social network junkie, but there's only so much liking, friending, trending, tweeting, sharing and pinning anyone can handle before they're deluged. In 2013, digital detox is increasingly on the travel to-do list. As technology and social media becomes increasingly pervasive, so too does our need to make a conscious decision to turn them off from time to time. With Wi-Fi access on planes and mobile data networks growing and covering more and more of the world, tuning out and taking a break from the steady stream of information is harder to do but more important than ever. Many resorts and cruise ships are turning off their wireless signals and satellite dishes and attracting waves of visitors whose thumbs twitch for a day or two but who, in the end, recharge themselves like never before.
4. The bag-a-bargain abroad ('BABA') holiday. Combine cheap holidays with bargains from abroad to save - With cash-strapped travelers looking for maximum bang for their buck in everything they do, we predict an increasing focus on BABA holidays -- for the uninitiated, that's "bag a bargain abroad." With the internet offering greater transparency on pricing of goods and services in different markets on an almost daily basis -- and cash-strapped consumers looking to tighten their belts -- international shopping holidays can offer significant savings.
5. Sports and events tourism - The 2012 Olympics in London opened a lot of eyes to 'event' tourism -- the once in a lifetime chance to experience a huge sporting spectacle, take in your favorite band in a unique location or watch your team playing a critical road game. And, if anyone has friends on Facebook who visited the London 2012 Games knows, photos from big events are well 'liked.' Sport is a major driver of travel; just witness the 4,500% increase in searches for tickets to Rio on Cheapflights when the host city of the next Olympics was mentioned during the London 2012 closing ceremony. We may not have the same smorgasbord of activity in one place this year, but the bad news for sports widows and widowers is that there's no shortage of international events worth traveling for. We predict that sports, concerts, cultural events and festivals will again be a major driver of travel destinations in 2013.
6. "Economy be damned, I am going on a proper trip" splurge surge - So we've all been watching the pennies but there's only so many staycations we can take. After four years, it seems a lot of us have had enough of not having enough. We've identified four groups who may be opting for a bit more of a 'holiday splurge' than the rest of us this year.
- The 'let's not wait until it's too late-ers'
- The 'pent up demand demanders'
- The 'lump sum-ers'
- The 'let's go do before they're two' crowd
To read in complete detail Cheapflights.com's noteworthy trends that we predict will define next year's travel landscape visit http://news.cheapflights.com/top-6-travel-trends-for-2013.
About momondo group
momondo group is an online travel media and technology company that is driven by the belief that an open world is a better world. The group now serves travel search and inspiration to over 13 million visitors a month -- plus 6 million travel newsletter subscribers -- via its Cheapflights (www.cheapflights.com) and momondo (www.momondo.com) brands.
Skygate began the sourcing of complex air-travel data in 1992, while Cheapflights pioneered the online comparison of flight deals for users in 1996 and momondo launched meta-search in the Nordic countries in 2006.
The Group has offices in London, Copenhagen, Boston and Toronto, with a consumer base across 16 core international markets but users all over the world.
Image Available: http://www2.marketwire.com/mw/frame_mw?attachid=2191199
SYS-CON Events announced today that Embotics, the cloud automation company, will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Embotics is the cloud automation company for IT organizations and service providers that need to improve provisioning or enable self-service capabilities. With a relentless focus on delivering a premier user experience and unmatched customer support, Embotics is the fas...
Oct. 26, 2016 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 984
SYS-CON Events announced today that MathFreeOn will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. MathFreeOn is Software as a Service (SaaS) used in Engineering and Math education. Write scripts and solve math problems online. MathFreeOn provides online courses for beginners or amateurs who have difficulties in writing scripts. In accordance with various mathematical topics, there are more tha...
Oct. 26, 2016 01:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,106
SYS-CON Events announced today that Niagara Networks will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Niagara Networks offers the highest port-density systems, and the most complete Next-Generation Network Visibility systems including Network Packet Brokers, Bypass Switches, and Network TAPs.
Oct. 26, 2016 01:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,388
The best way to leverage your Cloud Expo presence as a sponsor and exhibitor is to plan your news announcements around our events. The press covering Cloud Expo and @ThingsExpo will have access to these releases and will amplify your news announcements. More than two dozen Cloud companies either set deals at our shows or have announced their mergers and acquisitions at Cloud Expo. Product announcements during our show provide your company with the most reach through our targeted audiences.
Oct. 26, 2016 01:00 PM EDT Reads: 5,006
@ThingsExpo has been named the Top 5 Most Influential Internet of Things Brand by Onalytica in the ‘The Internet of Things Landscape 2015: Top 100 Individuals and Brands.' Onalytica analyzed Twitter conversations around the #IoT debate to uncover the most influential brands and individuals driving the conversation. Onalytica captured data from 56,224 users. The PageRank based methodology they use to extract influencers on a particular topic (tweets mentioning #InternetofThings or #IoT in this ...
Oct. 26, 2016 12:45 PM EDT Reads: 8,555
In his general session at 19th Cloud Expo, Manish Dixit, VP of Product and Engineering at Dice, will discuss how Dice leverages data insights and tools to help both tech professionals and recruiters better understand how skills relate to each other and which skills are in high demand using interactive visualizations and salary indicator tools to maximize earning potential. Manish Dixit is VP of Product and Engineering at Dice. As the leader of the Product, Engineering and Data Sciences team a...
Oct. 26, 2016 12:45 PM EDT Reads: 597
Virgil consists of an open-source encryption library, which implements Cryptographic Message Syntax (CMS) and Elliptic Curve Integrated Encryption Scheme (ECIES) (including RSA schema), a Key Management API, and a cloud-based Key Management Service (Virgil Keys). The Virgil Keys Service consists of a public key service and a private key escrow service.
Oct. 26, 2016 12:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,162
OnProcess Technology has announced it will be a featured speaker at @ThingsExpo, taking place November 1 - 3, 2016, in Santa Clara, California. Dan Gettens, OnProcess’ Chief Analytics Officer, will discuss how Internet of Things (IoT) data can be leveraged to predict product failures, improve uptime and slash costly inventory stock. @ThingsExpo is an annual gathering of IoT and cloud developers, practitioners and thought-leaders who exchange ideas and insights on topics ranging from Big Data in...
Oct. 26, 2016 12:45 PM EDT Reads: 406
Data is the fuel that drives the machine learning algorithmic engines and ultimately provides the business value. In his session at Cloud Expo, Ed Featherston, a director and senior enterprise architect at Collaborative Consulting, will discuss the key considerations around quality, volume, timeliness, and pedigree that must be dealt with in order to properly fuel that engine.
Oct. 26, 2016 12:30 PM EDT Reads: 3,954
In an era of historic innovation fueled by unprecedented access to data and technology, the low cost and risk of entering new markets has leveled the playing field for business. Today, any ambitious innovator can easily introduce a new application or product that can reinvent business models and transform the client experience. In their Day 2 Keynote at 19th Cloud Expo, Mercer Rowe, IBM Vice President of Strategic Alliances, and Raejeanne Skillern, Intel Vice President of Data Center Group and ...
Oct. 26, 2016 12:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,603
Successful digital transformation requires new organizational competencies and capabilities. Research tells us that the biggest impediment to successful transformation is human; consequently, the biggest enabler is a properly skilled and empowered workforce. In the digital age, new individual and collective competencies are required. In his session at 19th Cloud Expo, Bob Newhouse, CEO and founder of Agilitiv, will draw together recent research and lessons learned from emerging and established ...
Oct. 26, 2016 11:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,525
There is growing need for data-driven applications and the need for digital platforms to build these apps. In his session at 19th Cloud Expo, Muddu Sudhakar, VP and GM of Security & IoT at Splunk, will cover different PaaS solutions and Big Data platforms that are available to build applications. In addition, AI and machine learning are creating new requirements that developers need in the building of next-gen apps. The next-generation digital platforms have some of the past platform needs a...
Oct. 26, 2016 11:45 AM EDT Reads: 2,348
I'm a lonely sensor. I spend all day telling the world how I'm feeling, but none of the other sensors seem to care. I want to be connected. I want to build relationships with other sensors to be more useful for my human. I want my human to understand that when my friends next door are too hot for a while, I'll soon be flaming. And when all my friends go outside without me, I may be left behind. Don't just log my data; use the relationship graph. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Ryan Boyd, Engi...
Oct. 26, 2016 11:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,893
Smart Cities are here to stay, but for their promise to be delivered, the data they produce must not be put in new siloes. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Mathias Herberts, Co-founder and CTO of Cityzen Data, will deep dive into best practices that will ensure a successful smart city journey.
Oct. 26, 2016 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 3,185
More and more brands have jumped on the IoT bandwagon. We have an excess of wearables – activity trackers, smartwatches, smart glasses and sneakers, and more that track seemingly endless datapoints. However, most consumers have no idea what “IoT” means. Creating more wearables that track data shouldn't be the aim of brands; delivering meaningful, tangible relevance to their users should be. We're in a period in which the IoT pendulum is still swinging. Initially, it swung toward "smart for smar...
Oct. 26, 2016 10:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,160
19th Cloud Expo, taking place November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. Cloud computing is now being embraced by a majority of enterprises of all sizes. Yesterday's debate about public vs. private has transformed into the reality of hybrid cloud: a recent survey shows that 74% of enterprises have a hybrid cloud strategy. Meanwhile, 94% of enterpri...
Oct. 26, 2016 10:15 AM EDT Reads: 4,972
Two weeks ago (November 3-5), I attended the Cloud Expo Silicon Valley as a speaker, where I presented on the security and privacy due diligence requirements for cloud solutions. Cloud security is a topical issue for every CIO, CISO, and technology buyer. Decision-makers are always looking for insights on how to mitigate the security risks of implementing and using cloud solutions. Based on the presentation topics covered at the conference, as well as the general discussions heard between sessi...
Oct. 26, 2016 10:15 AM EDT Reads: 5,189
The Internet of Things can drive efficiency for airlines and airports. In their session at @ThingsExpo, Shyam Varan Nath, Principal Architect with GE, and Sudip Majumder, senior director of development at Oracle, will discuss the technical details of the connected airline baggage and related social media solutions. These IoT applications will enhance travelers' journey experience and drive efficiency for the airlines and the airports. The session will include a working demo and a technical d...
Oct. 26, 2016 10:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,635
The Internet of Things (IoT), in all its myriad manifestations, has great potential. Much of that potential comes from the evolving data management and analytic (DMA) technologies and processes that allow us to gain insight from all of the IoT data that can be generated and gathered. This potential may never be met as those data sets are tied to specific industry verticals and single markets, with no clear way to use IoT data and sensor analytics to fulfill the hype being given the IoT today.
Oct. 26, 2016 07:30 AM EDT Reads: 2,825
@ThingsExpo has been named the Top 5 Most Influential M2M Brand by Onalytica in the ‘Machine to Machine: Top 100 Influencers and Brands.' Onalytica analyzed the online debate on M2M by looking at over 85,000 tweets to provide the most influential individuals and brands that drive the discussion. According to Onalytica the "analysis showed a very engaged community with a lot of interactive tweets. The M2M discussion seems to be more fragmented and driven by some of the major brands present in the...
Oct. 26, 2016 07:30 AM EDT Reads: 11,543