|By Marketwired .||
|December 17, 2012 08:01 AM EST||
SAN JOSE, CA -- (Marketwire) -- 12/17/12 -- Cisco (NASDAQ: CSCO) -- It's 6 a.m. Your morning alarm shrills piercingly. You sit up groggily, stretch and yawn. It's time to get ready for school or work -- what do you do next? Get dressed? Take a shower? Brush your teeth?
Ninety percent of Gen Y surveyed worldwide said they check their smartphones for updates in email, texts and social media sites, often before they get out of bed, according to the 2012 Cisco® Connected World Technology Report (CCWTR.) There are 206 bones in the human body, and the smartphone could plausibly be considered the 207th for Gen Y. Two out of five said they "would feel anxious, like part of me is missing," if they couldn't use their smartphones to stay connected.
Based on a survey conducted by InsightExpress of 1,800 college students and young professionals aged 18 to 30 across 18 countries, the report examines how Generation Y uses the Internet and mobile devices to connect with the world around them. The report reveals their behavior and attitudes about the creation, access and privacy of the enormous amounts of data being generated daily by smartphones, sensors, video cameras, monitors and other connected devices.
Mobile devices are just the beginning. As more and more people, processes, data and things join and interact on the "Internet of Everything," the volume and potential value of all the data generated by those connections grow exponentially.
Key Findings of the 2012 Cisco Connected World Technology Report
The new morning routine: toothpaste, toilet paper and texting
Gen Y does not want to miss anything. Checking their mobile devices for text, email and social media updates is how they start their day -- often even before getting out of bed. For this generation, information is real-time, all the time.
- Nine of 10 respondents globally will get dressed, brush their teeth, and want to check their smartphones as part of the morning ritual for getting ready for school or work.
- For employers, this is meaningful because it demonstrates that the workforce of the future is more agile, more informed and more responsive than any previous generation. They live to connect and communicate.
Me and my smartphone. From morning through night, Gen Y stays constantly connected.
- More than one in four Gen Y respondents (29 percent) say they check their smartphones so constantly that they lose count.
- Globally, one in five checks a smartphone for email, text and social media updates at least every 10 minutes. In the U.S., two out of five check at least once every 10 minutes.
- One-third of respondents check their smartphones at least once every 30 minutes; in the U.S., that figure jumps to more than 50 percent.
Connected or addicted?
- Sixty percent of Gen Yers subconsciously or compulsively check their smartphones for emails, texts or social media updates.
- Of those, women are more driven to connect: 85 percent of women versus 63 percent of men find themselves often compulsively checking their smartphone for text, emails or social media updates.
- Over 40 percent of respondents would go through a "withdrawal" effect and "would feel anxious, like part of me was missing," if they couldn't check their smartphones constantly.
- Of those compulsive smart phone users, 60 percent wish they didn't feel so compelled.
Information Technology professionals are even more connected
- Almost one third of IT professionals stated they check their smartphones "continuously."
- 40 percent of IT professionals said they check their smartphones at least every 10 minutes.
They're everywhere! Smartphones are used everywhere, even in the most private of places. The craving to stay connected means that the lines between work and social life/family life are blurring. People check for work updates and communicate at all hours from every place imaginable. Time is elastic: For Generation Y there are no clear markers between "the workday" and personal time -- both blend and overlap throughout the day and night.
- Is romance dead? Globally, 3 out of 4 respondents use smartphones in bed.
- Don't forget to wash your hands: Over a third use smartphones in the bathroom.
- Set a place at the table: Almost half of the global respondents (46 percent) said they text, email and check social media during meals with family and friends. More than half of American respondents (56 percent) use smartphones during social meals.
- Watch out! Dangerous as it is, almost one in five admits to texting while driving.
Not just text and email: The apps revolution
- Nearly 70 percent of the Gen Y respondents said mobile applications are important to their daily lives.
- More than half said they mainly use mobile applications for games and entertainment.
- Yet one in four (27 percent) mainly use mobile applications for work.
How many apps do you need? Vendors advertise thousands of applications in their app stores, but are those apps being used? Of all the apps being downloaded daily, a surprisingly low number are used on a regular basis.
- The majority of Gen Y respondents (70 percent) report using fewer than 10 smartphone apps regularly.
- Only one in four (24 percent) respondents said they use 10 to 25 apps regularly
Online friendship versus in-person: The online community knows no bounds of geography or time zones
- Forty percent spend more time visiting online with friends than socializing in person.
- Two-thirds of respondents said they spend an equal amount of time, or more, socializing online with friends than they do in person.
- But there's a gender difference: 38 percent of men worldwide spend more time in-person with friends than online, versus 29 percent of women.
Who are you really? Online and real-world identities aren't the same.
Connecting online creates opportunities to stretch everyday boundaries and try out a new persona -- but on the flip side, it can lay the foundation for deception. How much can you trust what you read online?
- Four of five (81 percent) respondents believe that people have different online and offline identities.
- Over a third of the respondents felt that most people have very different online versus offline identities.
- When asked about themselves, only 44 percent said their online identity was the same as their real-world "offline" identity.
Will smartphones replace laptops in the workplace?
In many parts of the world, smartphones now rival laptops as the single most desired device by 18 to 30 year-olds. It is seen as the most versatile and the most compact.
- If they had to choose only one device, a third of the respondents preferred a smartphone, while slightly more than a third favored laptops.
- Smartphones have surpassed desktop computers as the preferred workplace device from a global perspective.
- Smartphones were rated twice as popular as a desktop PC and three times as popular as a tablet.
For the "always-connected" generation, a single mobile device will do, whether it is a personal device or a company-owned device, which creates challenges for the IT managers who must safeguard company assets and information.
- While two out of five said their company's policy forbids them to use company-issued devices for non-work activities, nearly three out of four (71 percent) said they don't always obey those policies.
- Two-thirds (66 percent) feel that "employers should not track employees' online activities -- it's none of their business."
- IT professionals know that many employees don't follow the rules, but they don't understand how prevalent it is: Over half of IT professionals globally thought their employees obey the policy on not using work devices for personal use.
Online shopping -- global Gen Y trend
- Nine out of 10 Gen Y surveyed said they engage in online shopping.
- Nearly three out of five (58 percent) report they regularly rely on customer reviews when deciding on online purchases; an additional 28 percent consult online reviews occasionally.
- Fifty-seven percent -- almost 3 out of five -- are willing to share their email address with stores and online sites in order to receive notices about discounts and sales. But they are wary of sharing much more than that -- few are willing to share phone number, home address or other personal data.
Fueling the world's data
- Almost 90 percent upload photos to share or store on Internet sites.
- 62 percent upload videos to share or store on Internet sites.
- Facing the world: 87 percent have a Facebook account, and one in 10 have Facebook always up.
- 41 percent update Facebook at least once a day, and over one in five update Facebook several times a day.
- 56 percent of respondents have a Twitter account, and 21 percent tweet at least once a day.
About the Study
The third in an annual series, the 2012 Cisco Connected World Technology Report, was commissioned by Cisco and conducted by InsightExpress, an independent market research firm based in the United States. The global study consists of two surveys: one focused on college students and workers aged 18 to 30, and the second focused on IT professionals. Each survey includes 100 respondents from each of 18 countries: United States, Canada, Mexico, Brazil, Argentina, United Kingdom, France, Germany, Netherlands, Russia, Poland, Turkey, South Africa, India, China, Japan, South Korea, and Australia.
- Visit website: Cisco Connected World Technology Report
- Discover: "What is your data footprint"
- View video: Gen Y and Technology
- Read: Cisco Blogs
- Learn about: The Internet of Everything
- Learn about: Data in Motion
- Learn more: Mobility
- Learn more: Cloud
Cisco (NASDAQ: CSCO) is the worldwide leader in networking that transforms how people connect, communicate and collaborate. Information about Cisco can be found at http://www.cisco.com. For ongoing news, please go to http://newsroom.cisco.com.
Cisco and the Cisco logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Cisco and/or its affiliates in the U.S. and other countries. A listing of Cisco's trademarks can be found at www.cisco.com/go/trademarks. Third-party trademarks mentioned are the property of their respective owners. The use of the word partner does not imply a partnership relationship between Cisco and any other company.
RSS Feed for Cisco: http://newsroom.cisco.com/rss-feeds
Image Available: http://www2.marketwire.com/mw/frame_mw?attachid=2179439
Image Available: http://www2.marketwire.com/mw/frame_mw?attachid=2179442
Image Available: http://www2.marketwire.com/mw/frame_mw?attachid=2179445
Image Available: http://www2.marketwire.com/mw/frame_mw?attachid=2179448
Image Available: http://www2.marketwire.com/mw/frame_mw?attachid=2179451
Image Available: http://www2.marketwire.com/mw/frame_mw?attachid=2179454
Image Available: http://www2.marketwire.com/mw/frame_mw?attachid=2179457
SYS-CON Events announced today that robomq.io will exhibit at SYS-CON's @ThingsExpo, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. robomq.io is an interoperable and composable platform that connects any device to any application. It helps systems integrators and the solution providers build new and innovative products and service for industries requiring monitoring or intelligence from devices and sensors.
Mar. 31, 2015 06:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,582
Internet of Things (IoT) will be a hybrid ecosystem of diverse devices and sensors collaborating with operational and enterprise systems to create the next big application. In their session at @ThingsExpo, Bramh Gupta, founder and CEO of robomq.io, and Fred Yatzeck, principal architect leading product development at robomq.io, will discuss how choosing the right middleware and integration strategy from the get-go will enable IoT solution developers to adapt and grow with the industry, while at the same time reduce Time to Market (TTM) by using plug and play capabilities offered by a robust I...
Mar. 31, 2015 04:00 PM EDT Reads: 556
After making a doctor’s appointment via your mobile device, you receive a calendar invite. The day of your appointment, you get a reminder with the doctor’s location and contact information. As you enter the doctor’s exam room, the medical team is equipped with the latest tablet containing your medical history – he or she makes real time updates to your medical file. At the end of your visit, you receive an electronic prescription to your preferred pharmacy and can schedule your next appointment.
Mar. 31, 2015 03:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,009
SYS-CON Events announced today that Solgenia will exhibit at SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, and the 17th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 3–5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Solgenia is the global market leader in Cloud Collaboration and Cloud Infrastructure software solutions. Designed to “Bridge the Gap” between Personal and Professional Social, Mobile and Cloud user experiences, our solutions help large and medium-sized organizations dr...
Mar. 31, 2015 03:00 PM EDT Reads: 3,013
While not quite mainstream yet, WebRTC is starting to gain ground with Carriers, Enterprises and Independent Software Vendors (ISV’s) alike. WebRTC makes it easy for developers to add audio and video communications into their applications by using Web browsers as their platform. But like any market, every customer engagement has unique requirements, as well as constraints. And of course, one size does not fit all. In her session at WebRTC Summit, Dr. Natasha Tamaskar, Vice President, Head of Cloud and Mobile Strategy at GENBAND, will explore what is needed to take a real time communications ...
Mar. 31, 2015 02:39 PM EDT Reads: 466
SYS-CON Events announced today that Litmus Automation will exhibit at SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Litmus Automation’s vision is to provide a solution for companies that are in a rush to embrace the disruptive Internet of Things technology and leverage it for real business challenges. Litmus Automation simplifies the complexity of connected devices applications with Loop, a secure and scalable cloud platform.
Mar. 31, 2015 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 622
The world's leading Cloud event, Cloud Expo has launched Microservices Journal on the SYS-CON.com portal, featuring over 19,000 original articles, news stories, features, and blog entries. DevOps Journal is focused on this critical enterprise IT topic in the world of cloud computing. Microservices Journal offers top articles, news stories, and blog posts from the world's well-known experts and guarantees better exposure for its authors than any other publication. Follow new article posts on Twitter at @MicroservicesE
Mar. 31, 2015 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,556
SYS-CON Events announced today the IoT Bootcamp – Jumpstart Your IoT Strategy, being held June 9–10, 2015, in conjunction with 16th Cloud Expo and Internet of @ThingsExpo at the Javits Center in New York City. This is your chance to jumpstart your IoT strategy. Combined with real-world scenarios and use cases, the IoT Bootcamp is not just based on presentations but includes hands-on demos and walkthroughs. We will introduce you to a variety of Do-It-Yourself IoT platforms including Arduino, Raspberry Pi, BeagleBone, Spark and Intel Edison. You will also get an overview of cloud technologies s...
Mar. 31, 2015 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,232
Containers and microservices have become topics of intense interest throughout the cloud developer and enterprise IT communities. Accordingly, attendees at the upcoming 16th Cloud Expo at the Javits Center in New York June 9-11 will find fresh new content in a new track called PaaS | Containers & Microservices Containers are not being considered for the first time by the cloud community, but a current era of re-consideration has pushed them to the top of the cloud agenda. With the launch of Docker's initial release in March of 2013, interest was revved up several notches. Then late last...
Mar. 31, 2015 09:15 AM EDT Reads: 2,297
The WebRTC Summit 2015 New York, to be held June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York, NY, announces that its Call for Papers is open. Topics include all aspects of improving IT delivery by eliminating waste through automated business models leveraging cloud technologies. WebRTC Summit is co-located with 16th International Cloud Expo, @ThingsExpo, Big Data Expo, and DevOps Summit.
Mar. 31, 2015 09:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,709
SOA Software has changed its name to Akana. With roots in Web Services and SOA Governance, Akana has established itself as a leader in API Management and is expanding into cloud integration as an alternative to the traditional heavyweight enterprise service bus (ESB). The company recently announced that it achieved more than 90% year-over-year growth. As Akana, the company now addresses the evolution and diversification of SOA, unifying security, management, and DevOps across SOA, APIs, microservices, and more.
Mar. 31, 2015 08:30 AM EDT Reads: 2,107
Wearable technology was dominant at this year’s International Consumer Electronics Show (CES) , and MWC was no exception to this trend. New versions of favorites, such as the Samsung Gear (three new products were released: the Gear 2, the Gear 2 Neo and the Gear Fit), shared the limelight with new wearables like Pebble Time Steel (the new premium version of the company’s previously released smartwatch) and the LG Watch Urbane. The most dramatic difference at MWC was an emphasis on presenting wearables as fashion accessories and moving away from the original clunky technology associated with t...
Mar. 31, 2015 03:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,564
The list of ‘new paradigm’ technologies that now surrounds us appears to be at an all time high. From cloud computing and Big Data analytics to Bring Your Own Device (BYOD) and the Internet of Things (IoT), today we have to deal with what the industry likes to call ‘paradigm shifts’ at every level of IT. This is disruption; of course, we understand that – change is almost always disruptive.
Mar. 30, 2015 04:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,190
SYS-CON Events announced today that SafeLogic has been named “Bag Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo® New York, which will take place June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. SafeLogic provides security products for applications in mobile and server/appliance environments. SafeLogic’s flagship product CryptoComply is a FIPS 140-2 validated cryptographic engine designed to secure data on servers, workstations, appliances, mobile devices, and in the Cloud.
Mar. 30, 2015 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,549
GENBAND has announced that SageNet is leveraging the Nuvia platform to deliver Unified Communications as a Service (UCaaS) to its large base of retail and enterprise customers. Nuvia’s cloud-based solution provides SageNet’s customers with a full suite of business communications and collaboration tools. Two large national SageNet retail customers have recently signed up to deploy the Nuvia platform and the company will continue to sell the service to new and existing customers. Nuvia’s capabilities include HD voice, video, multimedia messaging, mobility, conferencing, Web collaboration, deskt...
Mar. 30, 2015 01:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,528
SYS-CON Media announced today that @WebRTCSummit Blog, the largest WebRTC resource in the world, has been launched. @WebRTCSummit Blog offers top articles, news stories, and blog posts from the world's well-known experts and guarantees better exposure for its authors than any other publication. @WebRTCSummit Blog can be bookmarked ▸ Here @WebRTCSummit conference site can be bookmarked ▸ Here
Mar. 29, 2015 10:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,872
SYS-CON Events announced today that Cisco, the worldwide leader in IT that transforms how people connect, communicate and collaborate, has been named “Gold Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Cisco makes amazing things happen by connecting the unconnected. Cisco has shaped the future of the Internet by becoming the worldwide leader in transforming how people connect, communicate and collaborate. Cisco and our partners are building the platform for the Internet of Everything by connecting the...
Mar. 29, 2015 07:00 PM EDT Reads: 5,285
Temasys has announced senior management additions to its team. Joining are David Holloway as Vice President of Commercial and Nadine Yap as Vice President of Product. Over the past 12 months Temasys has doubled in size as it adds new customers and expands the development of its Skylink platform. Skylink leads the charge to move WebRTC, traditionally seen as a desktop, browser based technology, to become a ubiquitous web communications technology on web and mobile, as well as Internet of Things compatible devices.
Mar. 29, 2015 06:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,894
Docker is an excellent platform for organizations interested in running microservices. It offers portability and consistency between development and production environments, quick provisioning times, and a simple way to isolate services. In his session at DevOps Summit at 16th Cloud Expo, Shannon Williams, co-founder of Rancher Labs, will walk through these and other benefits of using Docker to run microservices, and provide an overview of RancherOS, a minimalist distribution of Linux designed expressly to run Docker. He will also discuss Rancher, an orchestration and service discovery platf...
Mar. 29, 2015 04:15 PM EDT Reads: 2,474
SYS-CON Events announced today that Vitria Technology, Inc. will exhibit at SYS-CON’s @ThingsExpo, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Vitria will showcase the company’s new IoT Analytics Platform through live demonstrations at booth #330. Vitria’s IoT Analytics Platform, fully integrated and powered by an operational intelligence engine, enables customers to rapidly build and operationalize advanced analytics to deliver timely business outcomes for use cases across the industrial, enterprise, and consumer segments.
Mar. 29, 2015 03:30 PM EDT Reads: 2,233