|By Marketwired .||
|December 17, 2012 08:01 AM EST||
SAN JOSE, CA -- (Marketwire) -- 12/17/12 -- Cisco (NASDAQ: CSCO) -- It's 6 a.m. Your morning alarm shrills piercingly. You sit up groggily, stretch and yawn. It's time to get ready for school or work -- what do you do next? Get dressed? Take a shower? Brush your teeth?
Ninety percent of Gen Y surveyed worldwide said they check their smartphones for updates in email, texts and social media sites, often before they get out of bed, according to the 2012 Cisco® Connected World Technology Report (CCWTR.) There are 206 bones in the human body, and the smartphone could plausibly be considered the 207th for Gen Y. Two out of five said they "would feel anxious, like part of me is missing," if they couldn't use their smartphones to stay connected.
Based on a survey conducted by InsightExpress of 1,800 college students and young professionals aged 18 to 30 across 18 countries, the report examines how Generation Y uses the Internet and mobile devices to connect with the world around them. The report reveals their behavior and attitudes about the creation, access and privacy of the enormous amounts of data being generated daily by smartphones, sensors, video cameras, monitors and other connected devices.
Mobile devices are just the beginning. As more and more people, processes, data and things join and interact on the "Internet of Everything," the volume and potential value of all the data generated by those connections grow exponentially.
Key Findings of the 2012 Cisco Connected World Technology Report
The new morning routine: toothpaste, toilet paper and texting
Gen Y does not want to miss anything. Checking their mobile devices for text, email and social media updates is how they start their day -- often even before getting out of bed. For this generation, information is real-time, all the time.
- Nine of 10 respondents globally will get dressed, brush their teeth, and want to check their smartphones as part of the morning ritual for getting ready for school or work.
- For employers, this is meaningful because it demonstrates that the workforce of the future is more agile, more informed and more responsive than any previous generation. They live to connect and communicate.
Me and my smartphone. From morning through night, Gen Y stays constantly connected.
- More than one in four Gen Y respondents (29 percent) say they check their smartphones so constantly that they lose count.
- Globally, one in five checks a smartphone for email, text and social media updates at least every 10 minutes. In the U.S., two out of five check at least once every 10 minutes.
- One-third of respondents check their smartphones at least once every 30 minutes; in the U.S., that figure jumps to more than 50 percent.
Connected or addicted?
- Sixty percent of Gen Yers subconsciously or compulsively check their smartphones for emails, texts or social media updates.
- Of those, women are more driven to connect: 85 percent of women versus 63 percent of men find themselves often compulsively checking their smartphone for text, emails or social media updates.
- Over 40 percent of respondents would go through a "withdrawal" effect and "would feel anxious, like part of me was missing," if they couldn't check their smartphones constantly.
- Of those compulsive smart phone users, 60 percent wish they didn't feel so compelled.
Information Technology professionals are even more connected
- Almost one third of IT professionals stated they check their smartphones "continuously."
- 40 percent of IT professionals said they check their smartphones at least every 10 minutes.
They're everywhere! Smartphones are used everywhere, even in the most private of places. The craving to stay connected means that the lines between work and social life/family life are blurring. People check for work updates and communicate at all hours from every place imaginable. Time is elastic: For Generation Y there are no clear markers between "the workday" and personal time -- both blend and overlap throughout the day and night.
- Is romance dead? Globally, 3 out of 4 respondents use smartphones in bed.
- Don't forget to wash your hands: Over a third use smartphones in the bathroom.
- Set a place at the table: Almost half of the global respondents (46 percent) said they text, email and check social media during meals with family and friends. More than half of American respondents (56 percent) use smartphones during social meals.
- Watch out! Dangerous as it is, almost one in five admits to texting while driving.
Not just text and email: The apps revolution
- Nearly 70 percent of the Gen Y respondents said mobile applications are important to their daily lives.
- More than half said they mainly use mobile applications for games and entertainment.
- Yet one in four (27 percent) mainly use mobile applications for work.
How many apps do you need? Vendors advertise thousands of applications in their app stores, but are those apps being used? Of all the apps being downloaded daily, a surprisingly low number are used on a regular basis.
- The majority of Gen Y respondents (70 percent) report using fewer than 10 smartphone apps regularly.
- Only one in four (24 percent) respondents said they use 10 to 25 apps regularly
Online friendship versus in-person: The online community knows no bounds of geography or time zones
- Forty percent spend more time visiting online with friends than socializing in person.
- Two-thirds of respondents said they spend an equal amount of time, or more, socializing online with friends than they do in person.
- But there's a gender difference: 38 percent of men worldwide spend more time in-person with friends than online, versus 29 percent of women.
Who are you really? Online and real-world identities aren't the same.
Connecting online creates opportunities to stretch everyday boundaries and try out a new persona -- but on the flip side, it can lay the foundation for deception. How much can you trust what you read online?
- Four of five (81 percent) respondents believe that people have different online and offline identities.
- Over a third of the respondents felt that most people have very different online versus offline identities.
- When asked about themselves, only 44 percent said their online identity was the same as their real-world "offline" identity.
Will smartphones replace laptops in the workplace?
In many parts of the world, smartphones now rival laptops as the single most desired device by 18 to 30 year-olds. It is seen as the most versatile and the most compact.
- If they had to choose only one device, a third of the respondents preferred a smartphone, while slightly more than a third favored laptops.
- Smartphones have surpassed desktop computers as the preferred workplace device from a global perspective.
- Smartphones were rated twice as popular as a desktop PC and three times as popular as a tablet.
For the "always-connected" generation, a single mobile device will do, whether it is a personal device or a company-owned device, which creates challenges for the IT managers who must safeguard company assets and information.
- While two out of five said their company's policy forbids them to use company-issued devices for non-work activities, nearly three out of four (71 percent) said they don't always obey those policies.
- Two-thirds (66 percent) feel that "employers should not track employees' online activities -- it's none of their business."
- IT professionals know that many employees don't follow the rules, but they don't understand how prevalent it is: Over half of IT professionals globally thought their employees obey the policy on not using work devices for personal use.
Online shopping -- global Gen Y trend
- Nine out of 10 Gen Y surveyed said they engage in online shopping.
- Nearly three out of five (58 percent) report they regularly rely on customer reviews when deciding on online purchases; an additional 28 percent consult online reviews occasionally.
- Fifty-seven percent -- almost 3 out of five -- are willing to share their email address with stores and online sites in order to receive notices about discounts and sales. But they are wary of sharing much more than that -- few are willing to share phone number, home address or other personal data.
Fueling the world's data
- Almost 90 percent upload photos to share or store on Internet sites.
- 62 percent upload videos to share or store on Internet sites.
- Facing the world: 87 percent have a Facebook account, and one in 10 have Facebook always up.
- 41 percent update Facebook at least once a day, and over one in five update Facebook several times a day.
- 56 percent of respondents have a Twitter account, and 21 percent tweet at least once a day.
About the Study
The third in an annual series, the 2012 Cisco Connected World Technology Report, was commissioned by Cisco and conducted by InsightExpress, an independent market research firm based in the United States. The global study consists of two surveys: one focused on college students and workers aged 18 to 30, and the second focused on IT professionals. Each survey includes 100 respondents from each of 18 countries: United States, Canada, Mexico, Brazil, Argentina, United Kingdom, France, Germany, Netherlands, Russia, Poland, Turkey, South Africa, India, China, Japan, South Korea, and Australia.
- Visit website: Cisco Connected World Technology Report
- Discover: "What is your data footprint"
- View video: Gen Y and Technology
- Read: Cisco Blogs
- Learn about: The Internet of Everything
- Learn about: Data in Motion
- Learn more: Mobility
- Learn more: Cloud
Cisco (NASDAQ: CSCO) is the worldwide leader in networking that transforms how people connect, communicate and collaborate. Information about Cisco can be found at http://www.cisco.com. For ongoing news, please go to http://newsroom.cisco.com.
Cisco and the Cisco logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Cisco and/or its affiliates in the U.S. and other countries. A listing of Cisco's trademarks can be found at www.cisco.com/go/trademarks. Third-party trademarks mentioned are the property of their respective owners. The use of the word partner does not imply a partnership relationship between Cisco and any other company.
RSS Feed for Cisco: http://newsroom.cisco.com/rss-feeds
Image Available: http://www2.marketwire.com/mw/frame_mw?attachid=2179439
Image Available: http://www2.marketwire.com/mw/frame_mw?attachid=2179442
Image Available: http://www2.marketwire.com/mw/frame_mw?attachid=2179445
Image Available: http://www2.marketwire.com/mw/frame_mw?attachid=2179448
Image Available: http://www2.marketwire.com/mw/frame_mw?attachid=2179451
Image Available: http://www2.marketwire.com/mw/frame_mw?attachid=2179454
Image Available: http://www2.marketwire.com/mw/frame_mw?attachid=2179457
The IoTs will challenge the status quo of how IT and development organizations operate. Or will it? Certainly the fog layer of IoT requires special insights about data ontology, security and transactional integrity. But the developmental challenges are the same: People, Process and Platform. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Craig Sproule, CEO of Metavine, will demonstrate how to move beyond today's coding paradigm and share the must-have mindsets for removing complexity from the development proc...
Jun. 1, 2016 01:30 AM EDT Reads: 2,050
SYS-CON Events announced today that EastBanc Technologies will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. EastBanc Technologies has been working at the frontier of technology since 1999. Today, the firm provides full-lifecycle software development delivering flexible technology solutions that seamlessly integrate with existing systems – whether on premise or cloud. EastBanc Technologies partners with p...
Jun. 1, 2016 12:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,520
SYS-CON Events announced today that MangoApps will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. MangoApps provides modern company intranets and team collaboration software, allowing workers to stay connected and productive from anywhere in the world and from any device. For more information, please visit https://www.mangoapps.com/.
Jun. 1, 2016 12:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,250
SYS-CON Events announced today that Super Micro Computer, Inc., a global leader in Embedded and IoT solutions, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Supermicro (NASDAQ: SMCI), the leading innovator in high-performance, high-efficiency server technology, is a premier provider of advanced server Building Block Solutions® for Data Center, Cloud Computing, Enterprise IT, Hadoop/Big Data, HPC and ...
May. 31, 2016 11:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,050
18th Cloud Expo, taking place June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. Cloud computing is now being embraced by a majority of enterprises of all sizes. Yesterday's debate about public vs. private has transformed into the reality of hybrid cloud: a recent survey shows that 74% of enterprises have a hybrid cloud strategy. Meanwhile, 94% of enterprises are using some...
May. 31, 2016 11:00 PM EDT Reads: 3,354
SYS-CON Events announced today that IBM Cloud Data Services has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 18th Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. IBM Cloud Data Services offers a portfolio of integrated, best-of-breed cloud data services for developers focused on mobile computing and analytics use cases.
May. 31, 2016 10:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,850
SYS-CON Events announced today Object Management Group® has been named “Media Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7–9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, and the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
May. 31, 2016 10:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,772
Cloud computing delivers on-demand resources that provide businesses with flexibility and cost-savings. The challenge in moving workloads to the cloud has been the cost and complexity of ensuring the initial and ongoing security and regulatory (PCI, HIPAA, FFIEC) compliance across private and public clouds. Manual security compliance is slow, prone to human error, and represents over 50% of the cost of managing cloud applications. Determining how to automate cloud security compliance is critical...
May. 31, 2016 09:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,140
The Internet of Things (IoT) is growing rapidly by extending current technologies, products and networks. By 2020, Cisco estimates there will be 50 billion connected devices. Gartner has forecast revenues of over $300 billion, just to IoT suppliers. Now is the time to figure out how you’ll make money – not just create innovative products. With hundreds of new products and companies jumping into the IoT fray every month, there’s no shortage of innovation. Despite this, McKinsey/VisionMobile data...
May. 31, 2016 07:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,921
WebRTC is bringing significant change to the communications landscape that will bridge the worlds of web and telephony, making the Internet the new standard for communications. Cloud9 took the road less traveled and used WebRTC to create a downloadable enterprise-grade communications platform that is changing the communication dynamic in the financial sector. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Leo Papadopoulos, CTO of Cloud9, will discuss the importance of WebRTC and how it enables companies to fo...
May. 31, 2016 04:45 PM EDT Reads: 2,674
"What we see what happens when you have a completely networked society and the potential to now drive the value creation and the collaboration and the ecosystems that are possible when you start to be able to connect people and industries together in ways that have never been possible before," explained Esmeralda Swartz, VP of Marketing Enterprise & Cloud at Ericsson, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at @ThingsExpo, held November 3-5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
May. 31, 2016 04:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,927
SYS-CON Events announced today that ContentMX, the marketing technology and services company with a singular mission to increase engagement and drive more conversations for enterprise, channel and SMB technology marketers, has been named “Sponsor & Exhibitor Lounge Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 18th Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, New York. “CloudExpo is a great opportunity to start a conversation with new prospects, but what happens after the...
May. 31, 2016 02:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,513
The IoT is changing the way enterprises conduct business. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Eric Hoffman, Vice President at EastBanc Technologies, discuss how businesses can gain an edge over competitors by empowering consumers to take control through IoT. We'll cite examples such as a Washington, D.C.-based sports club that leveraged IoT and the cloud to develop a comprehensive booking system. He'll also highlight how IoT can revitalize and restore outdated business models, making them profitable...
May. 31, 2016 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 3,162
Customer experience has become a competitive differentiator for companies, and it’s imperative that brands seamlessly connect the customer journey across all platforms. With the continued explosion of IoT, join us for a look at how to build a winning digital foundation in the connected era – today and in the future. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Chris Nguyen, Group Product Marketing Manager at Adobe, will discuss how to successfully leverage mobile, rapidly deploy content, capture real-time d...
May. 31, 2016 01:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,817
What a difference a year makes. Organizations aren’t just talking about IoT possibilities, it is now baked into their core business strategy. With IoT, billions of devices generating data from different companies on different networks around the globe need to interact. From efficiency to better customer insights to completely new business models, IoT will turn traditional business models upside down. In the new customer-centric age, the key to success is delivering critical services and apps wit...
May. 31, 2016 12:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,437
As cloud and storage projections continue to rise, the number of organizations moving to the cloud is escalating and it is clear cloud storage is here to stay. However, is it secure? Data is the lifeblood for government entities, countries, cloud service providers and enterprises alike and losing or exposing that data can have disastrous results. There are new concepts for data storage on the horizon that will deliver secure solutions for storing and moving sensitive data around the world. ...
May. 31, 2016 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,526
Join us at Cloud Expo | @ThingsExpo 2016 – June 7-9 at the Javits Center in New York City and November 1-3 at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA – and deliver your unique message in a way that is striking and unforgettable by taking advantage of SYS-CON's unmatched high-impact, result-driven event / media packages.
May. 31, 2016 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,648
In his keynote at 18th Cloud Expo, Andrew Keys, Co-Founder of ConsenSys Enterprise, will provide an overview of the evolution of the Internet and the Database and the future of their combination – the Blockchain. Andrew Keys is Co-Founder of ConsenSys Enterprise. He comes to ConsenSys Enterprise with capital markets, technology and entrepreneurial experience. Previously, he worked for UBS investment bank in equities analysis. Later, he was responsible for the creation and distribution of life ...
May. 31, 2016 11:45 AM EDT Reads: 2,159
SYS-CON Events announced today that MobiDev will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. MobiDev is a software company that develops and delivers turn-key mobile apps, websites, web services, and complex software systems for startups and enterprises. Since 2009 it has grown from a small group of passionate engineers and business managers to a full-scale mobile software company with over 200 develope...
May. 31, 2016 10:15 AM EDT Reads: 2,959
SoftLayer operates a global cloud infrastructure platform built for Internet scale. With a global footprint of data centers and network points of presence, SoftLayer provides infrastructure as a service to leading-edge customers ranging from Web startups to global enterprises. SoftLayer's modular architecture, full-featured API, and sophisticated automation provide unparalleled performance and control. Its flexible unified platform seamlessly spans physical and virtual devices linked via a world...
May. 31, 2016 09:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,465