|By PR Newswire||
|December 14, 2012 08:00 AM EST||
DEERFIELD, Ill., Dec. 14, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Never before has OREO delivered the world's favorite chocolate sandwich cookie to all seven continents. Until now. As a final hoorah to end its 100th birthday celebration, today OREO surprised scientists living at Palmer Station in the Antarctic Peninsula with a first-of-its-kind delivery -- 5,000 OREO cookies, enough for everyone there to enjoy a twist, lick and dunk.
The timing couldn't be more perfect. This special cookie delivery comes on the heels of the 100th anniversary of the first time people set foot on the South Pole. Both OREO and Antarctica can celebrate through the playful and imaginative eyes of OREO as they cap off their centennial celebrations.
And it gets sweeter – the brand also made a donation that will give the world a chance to experience the wonders of the seventh continent for years to come. OREO donated Antarctica's first solar-powered Penguin Cam to the scientists and researchers at Palmer Station with the help of Abercrombie & Kent Philanthropy. Like the magic that's unlocked when you twist open an OREO, scientists hope the camera will unlock the Antarctic for kids of all ages who will soon be able to watch penguins live in their natural habitat.
"This is the exclamation point that ends what's been an exciting year of celebration," said Cindy Chen, marketing director, OREO. "In March we set out to help everyone, everywhere celebrate the kid inside and with this special delivery we can say we've achieved that! Now people on every continent can experience the delight of an OREO twist, lick and dunk."
Setting sail from South America, the cookies traveled on the expedition ship, 'Le Boreal' under the careful watch of luxury adventure travel leaders, Abercrombie & Kent. Dr. James McClintock, endowed professor of polar and marine biology at the University of Alabama-Birmingham has conducted research in Antarctica for 30 years and was on-hand to serve as an honorary Antarctic OREO explorer, taking the delivery from OREO Man on behalf of the "residents" of the continent.
"Having the chance to enjoy an OREO cookie and glass of milk is like having a little piece of home here in the station," said McClintock. "We can't thank OREO enough for being able to join the rest of the world in such a special celebration."
The Cookie with a Passport
OREO is no stranger to groundbreaking world travel. Prior to its voyage to Antarctica, OREO has earned a place in the hearts of fans in six other continents. OREO remains the top-selling biscuit to this day and has expanded to include culturally relevant products including: TRIPLE DOUBLE OREO (U.S.) adapted from OREO x3 in Argentina, Green Tea Ice Cream OREO in China, OREO Orange Ice Cream from Indonesia and OREO Dulce de Leche flavor in Colombia.
"The OREO cookie has been pivotal in giving kids of all ages moments of delight in the United States for 100 years," said Chen. "But nothing brings us more joy than being able to create new, unexpected moments across the world in fresh and exciting ways."
Celebrating With a Mission in Mind
In keeping with the OREO birthday mission, fans can visit Facebook (Facebook.com/OREO) to share a photo, story or video in OREO Moments Gallery showing how they've celebrated their inner kid. So far, OREO fans from around the world have shared more than one million moments this year.
To learn more about OREO and for additional ways to bring out the kid inside of you, including online games and OREO recipes for the upcoming holidays, visit OREO.com or Facebook.com/OREO.
ABOUT MONDELEZ INTERNATIONAL
Mondelez International, Inc. (NASDAQ: MDLZ) is a world leader in chocolate, biscuits, gum, candy, coffee and powdered beverages. The company comprises the global snacking and food brands of the former Kraft Foods Inc. following the spin-off of its North American grocery operations in Oct. 2012. Mondelez International's portfolio includes several billion-dollar brands such as Cadbury and Milka chocolate, Jacobs coffee, LU, Nabisco and Oreo biscuits, Tang powdered beverages and Trident gums. Mondelez International has annual revenue of approximately $36 billion and operations in more than 80 countries. Visit www.mondelezinternational.com and www.facebook.com/mondelezinternational.
OREO is the world's favorite cookie, enjoyed by families and friends in more than 100 countries around the world. As one of Kraft Foods' 12 "billion-dollar" brands, OREO is the best-selling biscuit of the 21st century with more than $2 billion in global annual revenues. The OREO cookie twist, lick and dunk ritual has become the signature way to enjoy this iconic cookie for many different cultures around the world. OREO has a Facebook community of more than 27 million OREO lovers around the globe, representing 200+ countries and dozens of different languages. OREO ranks among the top 10 brand Facebook pages in the world. OREO celebrated its 100th birthday on March 6, 2012.
ABOUT ABERCROMBIE & KENT
Abercrombie & Kent pioneered luxury adventure travel with our first African safaris in 1962, and today our award-winning travel services extend around the globe to more than one hundred countries on all seven continents. A&K's custom itineraries and small-group journeys offer one-of-a-kind inspiring experiences, while our 50 on-site offices ensure invitation-only access to the people and places that make every destination unique. A&K Philanthropy is dedicated to preserving natural habitats, protecting wildlife and promoting the welfare of indigenous communities throughout the world. Join the world of A&K by following us on Facebook and Twitter: @AKTravel_USA or visit www.abercrombiekent.com.
SOURCE Mondelez International, Inc.
- WSO2 Carbon, WSO2 API Manager and WSO2 Governance Registry Increase Speed, Scalability and High Availability Through Hazelcast
- Acquia Appoints Martyn Eley as General Manager of EMEA Operations
- U.S. General Services Administration Moves Order Management System to IBM SmartCloud for Government
- The DevOps Way to Solve JVM Memory Issues
- Cisco Web Security Webinar: Ensure World Class Protection
- SDN: Uncovering Amazon's Secret Sauce
- Mobilizing Business Data: The Holy Grail of Enterprise Mobility
- What Doesn't Kill You Makes You...Smarter
- On-Premise or Cloud ERP - Which Is Right for Your Business?
- Ten Questions to Avoid a Classical Business War Room Scenario
- What Business Leaders Want from IT Monitoring
- The Final IT Evolution – Cloud
- WebRTC Summit at Cloud Expo Agenda Announced
- OneLogin Raises $13M to Power Expansion
- Gartner Hype Cycle 2012 – Emerging Technologies
- Five Technology Trends That Require Scrutiny
- Nine Stunning 3D Printed Objects
- User Accounts Are Only the Tip of the Iceberg
- The Zacks Analyst Blog Highlights: Ford Motor, Microsoft, Volkswagen, General Motors, Autodesk, Apple, Google and Adobe Systems
- Fathers of Clouds – A Tribute
- Acquia Appoints Martyn Eley as General Manager of EMEA Operations
- Open Server Summit Reports Doubling of Registration
- Drupal 8: A View into Performance
- The Top 150 Players in Cloud Computing
- Who Are The All-Time Heroes of i-Technology?
- Where Are RIA Technologies Headed in 2008?
- Success, Arrogance, Rise and Fall
- AJAX World RIA Conference & Expo Kicks Off in New York City
- The Top 250 Players in the Cloud Computing Ecosystem
- Personal Branding Checklist
- i-Technology Viewpoint: Attack of the Blogs
- Exclusive Q&A with Jeff Haynie, Co-Founder & CEO, Appcelerator
- Web 2.0 News and Wrapping Up "Real-World AJAX" Seminar
- Passing Parameters to Flex That Works
- Cloud People: A Who's Who of Cloud Computing