|By PR Newswire||
|December 7, 2012 09:30 AM EST||
CHICAGO, Dec. 7, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Zacks.com announces the list of stocks featured in the Analyst Blog. Every day the Zacks Equity Research analysts discuss the latest news and events impacting stocks and the financial markets. Stocks recently featured in the blog include International Business Machines Corp. (NYSE:IBM), Oracle Corp. (Nasdaq:ORCL), salesforce.com (NYSE:CRM), SAP AG (NYSE:SAP) and Chevron Corporation (NYSE:CVX).
Get the most recent insight from Zacks Equity Research with the free Profit from the Pros newsletter: http://at.zacks.com/?id=5513
Here are highlights from Thursday's Analyst Blog:
IBM Closes Kenexa Buy
International Business Machines Corp. (NYSE:IBM) has completed the $1.3 billion acquisition of Kenexa. IBM had agreed to buy Kenexa in August 2012. Kenexa develops software that helps enterprises manage human resources ("HR"). Its HR solutions are widely popular and its strong client base consists of approximately 8,900 customers across a number of industries.
The Kenexa acquisition will further expand IBM's business analytics software offerings going forward. The acquisition is a major strategic move by IBM to bolster its position in the cloud based software-as-a-service ("SaaS") market. SaaS is a software delivery method that enables data access from any device with an Internet connection and web browser. In this web-based model, software vendors host and maintain servers, databases and codes that constitute an application.
Moreover, demand for SaaS-based products has been on the rise for some time and is expected to increase manifold because of some inherent benefits associated with the platform. Applications delivered over the SaaS platform not only allow enterprises to start using them instantly, but they are also more cost effective compared to traditional products installed at a customer's onsite data center. Software updates are also smoother.
IBM is already a leader in enterprise social software, according to IDC. Moreover, IBM's solutions cater to approximately 60% of the fortune 100 companies. We believe that the growth prospects in the SaaS segment is the primary factor attracting IT giants, such as IBM, Oracle Corp. (Nasdaq:ORCL), salesforce.com (NYSE:CRM) and SAP AG (NYSE:SAP). Both SAP and Oracle enjoy a leading position in the SaaS-based application market based on a number of acquisitions (SuccessFactors, Ariba, RightNow, Taleo) in the recent past.
We believe that IBM's entrance into the cloud-based HR solutions market will intensify competition going forward. Although it is very difficult to predict a clear winner among these companies considering the depth of their product portfolios and diversified customer base, we believe that IBM has an advantage due to its strong balance sheet. IBM intends to spend $20 billion on acquisitions up to 2015.
Thus, we remain Neutral over the long term. Currently, IBM has a Zacks Rank #3 (Hold).
Chevron Unveils $36.7B Capex Budget
U.S. energy behemoth Chevron Corporation (NYSE:CVX) offered a glimpse of its 2013 capital spending plans. The integrated major said that it will boost its capital expenditures by about $4 billion in 2013, as the company allocates the bulk of funds toward the 'Exploration & Production' segment, while continuing to be cautious about the amount of resources it devotes to the refining business. Chevron's focus on the upstream business can be attributed to its strong portfolio of pipeline projects.
The second-largest U.S. oil company by market value has pegged its 2012 capital budget at $36.7 billion, up more than 12% from the $32.7 billion it expects to invest by the end of 2012. Of the total, roughly 90% will go toward oil and gas exploration projects worldwide, and 7% for downstream businesses.
Upstream: A major portion of the 2013 spending has been earmarked for large, multi-year developments. Chevron is planning to spend $33 billion for the exploration, production and natural gas-related projects, concentrating on the company's successful and focused drilling results in recent years, as well as for further appraisal and evaluation of other prospective areas in the world's major hydrocarbon basins. Major initiatives in 2013 are expected to consist of the Gorgon natural gas project in Australia, as well as opportunities in the deepwater Gulf of Mexico, Kazakhstan, Nigeria, Angola and the Republic of Congo.
In particular, Chevron said that the cost of its majority-owned Gorgon natural gas development in Australia has jumped 40% to $52 billion because of a stronger Australian dollar, steep labor costs, infrastructure challenges and weather delays.
Downstream: Capital spending in the downstream segment is expected to be $2.7 billion in 2013, primarily assigned for improving refinery efficiency, maximizing yield and producing cleaner fuels. Downstream outlays will include projects at the company's facilities in Pascagoula (Mississippi) and Singapore.
Other: Lastly, the company is expected to spend approximately $1 billion in 2013 for technology, power generation and other corporate activities.
Want more from Zacks Equity Research? Subscribe to the free Profit from the Pros newsletter: http://at.zacks.com/?id=5515.
About Zacks Equity Research
Zacks Equity Research provides the best of quantitative and qualitative analysis to help investors know what stocks to buy and which to sell for the long-term.
Continuous coverage is provided for a universe of 1,150 publicly traded stocks. Our analysts are organized by industry which gives them keen insights to developments that affect company profits and stock performance. Recommendations and target prices are six-month time horizons.
Zacks "Profit from the Pros" e-mail newsletter provides highlights of the latest analysis from Zacks Equity Research. Subscribe to this free newsletter today: http://at.zacks.com/?id=5517
Zacks.com is a property of Zacks Investment Research, Inc., which was formed in 1978 by Leon Zacks. As a PhD from MIT Len knew he could find patterns in stock market data that would lead to superior investment results. Amongst his many accomplishments was the formation of his proprietary stock picking system; the Zacks Rank, which continues to outperform the market by nearly a 3 to 1 margin. The best way to unlock the profitable stock recommendations and market insights of Zacks Investment Research is through our free daily email newsletter; Profit from the Pros. In short, it's your steady flow of Profitable ideas GUARANTEED to be worth your time! Register for your free subscription to Profit from the Pros at http://at.zacks.com/?id=5518.
Visit http://www.zacks.com/performance for information about the performance numbers displayed in this press release.
Follow us on Twitter: http://twitter.com/zacksresearch
Join us on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/pages/Zacks-Investment-Research/57553657748?ref=ts
Disclaimer: Past performance does not guarantee future results. Investors should always research companies and securities before making any investments. Nothing herein should be construed as an offer or solicitation to buy or sell any security.
SOURCE Zacks Investment Research, Inc.
- The Odd Couple: Marrying Agile and Waterfall
- Fanning the Flames of Agile
- Internet of @ThingsExpo Silicon Valley Call for Papers Now Open
- April and May 2014 Server and StorageIO Update newsletter
- MangoApps to Exhibit at Cloud Expo New York
- WSO2 Introduces Industry’s First Enterprise Identity Bus With the Launch of WSO2 Identity Server 5.0
- Practical WebRTC: From API to Solution
- Last Chance to Register for LTE World Summit
- The Butterfly Effect Within IT
- The Business Challenges Impacting Digital Transformation
- Stay Current on the Internet of Things
- Setting the Bar for Agile Architecture
- How to Get the Best From Virtual Employees
- Global Financial Firms Can Effectively Address Technology Risk Guidelines
- .CLUB Domain Name Extension Now Available for General Registration
- MapR Technologies Announces Upcoming June Conferences
- More Mainstream Businesses Depend on Open Source
- AMAG, HP, ImageWare Systems, March Networks and StrikeForce Discuss Security Solutions in SecuritySolutionsWatch.com Interviews
- F5 to Present at Upcoming Technology and Investor Conferences
- The Odd Couple: Marrying Agile and Waterfall
- Flexera Software’s InstallShield 2014 Release Introduces New Support of Cloud and Virtualised Installations, High-DPI Displays and Touch Devices, and Agile Development
- FlexNet Manager Suite Wins CODiE Award for Best Asset Management Solution - 4th CODiE Award for Flexera Software
- Fanning the Flames of Agile
- WSO2 Guest Speakers at WSO2Con Europe 2014 Will Examine Technology Developments and Best Practices Enabling the Connected Business
- The Top 150 Players in Cloud Computing
- Who Are The All-Time Heroes of i-Technology?
- Where Are RIA Technologies Headed in 2008?
- Success, Arrogance, Rise and Fall
- AJAX World RIA Conference & Expo Kicks Off in New York City
- The Top 250 Players in the Cloud Computing Ecosystem
- Personal Branding Checklist
- i-Technology Viewpoint: Attack of the Blogs
- Exclusive Q&A with Jeff Haynie, Co-Founder & CEO, Appcelerator
- Cloud People: A Who's Who of Cloud Computing
- Ulitzer Names the World's 30 Most Influential Cloud Computing Bloggers
- Web 2.0 News and Wrapping Up "Real-World AJAX" Seminar