|By Business Wire||
|December 4, 2012 03:05 AM EST||
Polycom, Inc. (Nasdaq: PLCM), the global leader in open standards-based unified communications and collaboration (UC&C), today announced that the Polycom® RealPresence® Platform will be part of the underlying infrastructure that powers six out of the seven service providers that are offering breakthrough Open Visual Communications Consortium™ (OVCC™) compliant, cloud-delivered video collaboration services. The OVCC organization today announced the first OVCC compliant, multi-network video collaboration services offered by service providers under their respective brands*. The services allow businesses of all sizes to participate in seamless video collaboration meetings, even if the participants are in different companies and served by different service providers. Using OVCC compliant services, customers can now initiate a video conference as simply as a phone conference.
As the most comprehensive and interoperable software infrastructure for universal video collaboration, the RealPresence Platform provides the carrier-grade video infrastructure needed for these new OVCC compliant services, delivering scalability, security, interoperability, reliability, and manageability. OVCC compliant service providers such as BCS Global, Bharti Airtel, BT Conferencing, and Glowpoint, among others, as well as Masergy, which provides network services, will all use the RealPresence Platform to help power their offerings.
“The breakthrough network-to-network interoperability of the OVCC service is eliminating technical obstacles to make video collaboration as easy as a phone call,” said Andy Miller, CEO, Polycom. “Together with our OVCC partners we are working to remove impediments for customers to drive mass adoption of video collaboration, and make it easy for anyone to participate on a video conference, regardless of the network, vendor, or device. The RealPresence Platform offers the infrastructure needed to deliver the interoperability, scalability, and reliability for our service provider partners so they can provide a seamless experience to all of their customers.”
The RealPresence Platform was recently enhanced to include the industry’s first open standards-based SVC (Scalable Video Coding), with 3X HD multipoint video call capacity for greater scalability, dramatically lower TCO, superior performance, and backwards- and forwards-compatibility to protect customer investments—all available through a software update. Additionally, to meet the unique needs of service providers, the RealPresence Platform offers multi-tenant capabilities and open application programming interfaces (APIs). With multi-tenancy, service providers can use a single physical Polycom® RealPresence® Resource Manager to support multiple customers, which optimizes resource investments and reduces operating costs. With the open APIs, service providers can extend the RealPresence Platform by building new apps to support and differentiate their services and to increase revenue per user.
For more information on the services, please contact an OVCC compliant service provider.
Open Visual Communications Consortium is a group of global video exchange providers, network providers and equipment manufacturers that have united to expand video communications and simplify video calls. Polycom and industry leading partners announced the initiative in June 2011. The consortium launched as an independent organization with Polycom and eight other founding members in October 2011. Since its launch, it has grown to 31 members, which includes Verizon, BT Conferencing, Bharti Airtel, and others. OVCC members will create multi-vendor, multi-network specifications offering a technical blueprint and business model to support the full spectrum of video systems, from immersive telepresence and room-based systems, to high definition and standard definition, and from desktop clients to mobile devices. For more information, visit www.ovcc.net.
Polycom is the global leader in open standards-based unified communications and collaboration (UC&C) solutions for voice and video collaboration, trusted by more than 415,000 customers around the world. Polycom solutions are powered by the Polycom® RealPresence® Platform, comprehensive software infrastructure and rich APIs that interoperate with the broadest set of communication, business, mobile and cloud applications and devices to deliver secure face-to-face video collaboration in any environment. Polycom and its ecosystem of over 7,000 partners provide truly unified communications solutions that deliver the best user experience, highest multi-vendor interoperability, and lowest TCO. Visit www.polycom.com or connect with us on Twitter, Facebook, and LinkedIn to learn how we’re pushing the greatness of human collaboration forward.
*Six of the service providers are offering services to customers under their own brand names. Masergy, along with three of the service providers, developed the OVCC compliant interconnect network that supports the new interoperable services. As a network service provider, Masergy is not offering an OVCC service to customers under its own brand.
© 2012 Polycom, Inc. All rights reserved. POLYCOM®, the Polycom logo, and the names and marks associated with Polycom’s products are trademarks and/or service marks of Polycom, Inc. and are registered and/or common law marks in the United States and various other countries. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.
- WSO2 Carbon, WSO2 API Manager and WSO2 Governance Registry Increase Speed, Scalability and High Availability Through Hazelcast
- Acquia Appoints Martyn Eley as General Manager of EMEA Operations
- U.S. General Services Administration Moves Order Management System to IBM SmartCloud for Government
- The DevOps Way to Solve JVM Memory Issues
- Cisco Web Security Webinar: Ensure World Class Protection
- SDN: Uncovering Amazon's Secret Sauce
- Mobilizing Business Data: The Holy Grail of Enterprise Mobility
- What Doesn't Kill You Makes You...Smarter
- On-Premise or Cloud ERP - Which Is Right for Your Business?
- Ten Questions to Avoid a Classical Business War Room Scenario
- What Business Leaders Want from IT Monitoring
- The Final IT Evolution – Cloud
- WebRTC Summit at Cloud Expo Agenda Announced
- OneLogin Raises $13M to Power Expansion
- Gartner Hype Cycle 2012 – Emerging Technologies
- Five Technology Trends That Require Scrutiny
- Nine Stunning 3D Printed Objects
- User Accounts Are Only the Tip of the Iceberg
- The Zacks Analyst Blog Highlights: Ford Motor, Microsoft, Volkswagen, General Motors, Autodesk, Apple, Google and Adobe Systems
- Fathers of Clouds – A Tribute
- Acquia Appoints Martyn Eley as General Manager of EMEA Operations
- Open Server Summit Reports Doubling of Registration
- Drupal 8: A View into Performance
- The Top 150 Players in Cloud Computing
- Who Are The All-Time Heroes of i-Technology?
- Where Are RIA Technologies Headed in 2008?
- Success, Arrogance, Rise and Fall
- AJAX World RIA Conference & Expo Kicks Off in New York City
- The Top 250 Players in the Cloud Computing Ecosystem
- Personal Branding Checklist
- i-Technology Viewpoint: Attack of the Blogs
- Exclusive Q&A with Jeff Haynie, Co-Founder & CEO, Appcelerator
- Web 2.0 News and Wrapping Up "Real-World AJAX" Seminar
- Passing Parameters to Flex That Works
- Cloud People: A Who's Who of Cloud Computing