|By RealWire News Distribution||
|November 27, 2012 09:13 PM EST||
Offers a Proven Approach to Building Successful Enterprise APIs
LOS ANGELES - November 27, 2012 - SOA Software, a leading provider of Enterprise API Management and SOA Governance solutions, today announced the publication of the eBook, Building Successful APIs. The eBook, which is available for immediate free download, provides a thorough look at what it takes to succeed with APIs in a large enterprise. SOA Software wrote and published the eBook based on its experience working with global corporations that are facing a transformation of IT requirements from rapidly evolving business alliances and mobile device proliferation.
According to Paolo Malinverno, Gartner Research VP, "The use of Web APIs is increasing even more, generally supporting new sales channels through mobile applications. This has made API management more popular as a new way of informing and selling to end customers. In particular, Type A organizations keen on exploring new ways to connect with their customers increasingly equate a Web channel to a new business opportunity; for them, having good API management is initially just a way of opening a new opportunity, and evolves into an advanced way of collecting customer behavior data." [i]
The need to create new revenue streams and integrate with an ever-shifting set of partners and applications, especially in this mobile era, puts pressure on IT to create and manage APIs. Daniel Sholler, Gartner Research VP, puts the challenge in perspective: "RESTful APIs help organizations integrate with partners and suppliers, lower costs, speed execution and reach new markets. Architects and application managers must follow good designs and best practices to create effective APIs," he said. [ii]
"The eBook addresses an information gap in how to build successful APIs," said Roberto Medrano, Executive Vice President, SOA Software. "While there are some resources for people developing consumer-facing APIs, enterprises require a different approach and more information to produce APIs. This book gives them much-needed information about building APIs in the enterprise context."
The eBook shares proven best practices that enable businesses to realize success from APIs and ensure appropriate security and system management or running up unsustainable costs. Taking a holistic, integrated approach, it blends technology and business-level issues that affect API development.
The eBook covers the following conceptual topics:
Creating awareness of the challenges and opportunities inherent in APIs.
Determining the business requirements that drive API development.
Understanding what the API does.
Creating an infrastructure and platform to host APIs.
Describing changes needed by IT and business to successfully launch and operate an API.
Supporting a development community for the API.
The eBook can be downloaded at soa.com.
Enabling the API Economy
Enterprises are increasingly making business applications available as APIs in order to drive business growth and expose new revenue and partnership opportunities, and ultimately to improve business effectiveness. Open APIs allow external developers to build applications that leverage core business capabilities. Enterprise APIs are offered to a more exclusive group to enable more demanding and subtle B2B or B2E (employee) applications. Both enterprise and open APIs are typically built on a foundation of enterprise SOA services. As such, they require robust governance.
The SOA Software Enterprise API Platform™ is the first solution to address enterprise requirements across the entire API lifecycle, with planning, development, runtime and community management capabilities. The Enterprise API Platform™ provides a rich set of API Management capabilities to ensure the security, performance and availability of APIs, together with a social developer community solution for promoting and supporting the APIs and driving developer adoption. It provides end-to-end management of the API lifecycle, helping you make sure that you build the right APIs, build them the right way, and make sure that they are behaving correctly. The Enterprise API Platform™ is available as an on-premise software solution, as-a-service, via an Open developer community as-a-service, or using a combination of any of these options. For example, a customer could choose to run the lifecycle management components of the solution as on-premises software, use the commercial PaaS offering to host and manage their APIs, and federate with the Open developer community to publish their public APIs to an established group of App developers.
[i] Gartner, Hype Cycle for Application Development, 2012, Application Service Governance, Paolo Malinverno
[ii] Gartner, Best Practices for RESTful APIs, March 27 2012, Daniel Sholler
About SOA Software
SOA Software is a leading provider of Enterprise API Management and SOA governance products that enable organizations to plan, build, run and share enterprise services and APIs. Some of the world's largest companies including Bank of America, Pfizer, and Verizon use SOA Software products to harness the power of their technology and transform their businesses. Gartner placed SOA Software in the Leaders Quadrant for the 2011 "Magic Quadrant for SOA Governance Technologies." The company is also recognized as a "Leader" by the Forrester Research Waves for Integrated SOA Governance, SOA Management, and SOA Life Cycle Management. For more information, please visit http://www.soa.com.
# # #
All product and company names herein may be trademarks of their registered owners.
SOA Software, Community Manager, Policy Manager, Portfolio Manager, Repository Manager, Service Manager, API Manager, and SOLA are trademarks of SOA Software, Inc.
- The Odd Couple: Marrying Agile and Waterfall
- Fanning the Flames of Agile
- Internet of @ThingsExpo Silicon Valley Call for Papers Now Open
- MangoApps to Exhibit at Cloud Expo New York
- WSO2 Introduces Industry’s First Enterprise Identity Bus With the Launch of WSO2 Identity Server 5.0
- Last Chance to Register for LTE World Summit
- The Butterfly Effect Within IT
- Stay Current on the Internet of Things
- The Business Challenges Impacting Digital Transformation
- Setting the Bar for Agile Architecture
- New Relic Announces General Availability of Real-Time Analytics Platform New Relic Insights
- IoT: I Don't Care How Big It Is!
- How to Get the Best From Virtual Employees
- Global Financial Firms Can Effectively Address Technology Risk Guidelines
- .CLUB Domain Name Extension Now Available for General Registration
- AMAG, HP, ImageWare Systems, March Networks and StrikeForce Discuss Security Solutions in SecuritySolutionsWatch.com Interviews
- MapR Technologies Announces Upcoming June Conferences
- More Mainstream Businesses Depend on Open Source
- F5 to Present at Upcoming Technology and Investor Conferences
- The Odd Couple: Marrying Agile and Waterfall
- Flexera Software’s InstallShield 2014 Release Introduces New Support of Cloud and Virtualised Installations, High-DPI Displays and Touch Devices, and Agile Development
- FlexNet Manager Suite Wins CODiE Award for Best Asset Management Solution - 4th CODiE Award for Flexera Software
- Fanning the Flames of Agile
- WSO2 Guest Speakers at WSO2Con Europe 2014 Will Examine Technology Developments and Best Practices Enabling the Connected Business
- The Top 150 Players in Cloud Computing
- Who Are The All-Time Heroes of i-Technology?
- Where Are RIA Technologies Headed in 2008?
- Success, Arrogance, Rise and Fall
- AJAX World RIA Conference & Expo Kicks Off in New York City
- The Top 250 Players in the Cloud Computing Ecosystem
- Personal Branding Checklist
- i-Technology Viewpoint: Attack of the Blogs
- Exclusive Q&A with Jeff Haynie, Co-Founder & CEO, Appcelerator
- Cloud People: A Who's Who of Cloud Computing
- Ulitzer Names the World's 30 Most Influential Cloud Computing Bloggers
- Web 2.0 News and Wrapping Up "Real-World AJAX" Seminar