|By Business Wire||
|November 27, 2012 03:00 AM EST||
NOOK Media LLC, a subsidiary of Barnes & Noble, Inc. (NYSE: BKS), the world’s largest bookseller and leading retailer of content, digital media and educational products, today announced its popular, free NOOK for Android and NOOK for iPad and iPhone apps are now available for download in the UK, giving British customers even more flexibility to Read What You Love, Anywhere You Like™ on a multitude of mobile devices. With free NOOK Reading Apps™, UK customers can use an iPad, iPhone, iPod touch, Android smartphone or tablet to easily shop the expansive NOOK Store™ (www.nook.co.uk) of over 2.5 million books, magazines, newspapers and comics, and access their digital library anywhere they go.
Smart NOOK Sync™ technology means that customers can also automatically sync their entire library on the go, including last page read, bookmarks, notes and highlights across all of their devices. Start a book on a NOOK tablet or eReader and seamlessly pick back up on an iPad, iPhone, iPod touch or Android smartphone or tablet to keep reading anytime, anywhere – all without losing the page.
“Following the successful launch of our award-winning NOOK line in the UK, we’re delighted to introduce our free NOOK Reading Apps that seamlessly bring millions of digital titles to the fingertips of customers who use Android and iOS devices, and to put our unmatched digital reading experience into the hands of even more Brits,” said Jamie Iannone, President of NOOK Media LLC. “Our popular collection of reading apps have been downloaded millions of times in the US, and now UK customers can enjoy the flexibility to shop our vast digital catalogue and enjoy titles from their NOOK Library anywhere they go, whether they’re using one of our award-winning NOOK products, an iPad, iPhone or Android device.”
Combining a fully integrated shop with NOOK’s award-winning digital reading experience, customers can browse one of the world’s largest digital bookstores featuring new releases, bestsellers, classics, and a large collection from independent publishers and self-publishing authors through NOOK’s PubIt!™ programme. UK customers can enjoy a free sample of NOOK Books™, and purchase and download titles in seconds to begin reading instantly. NOOK for Android and NOOK for iOS also offer access to the highly acclaimed NOOK Newsstand™, so customers can try digital periodicals for free for 14 days and enjoy a large and growing selection of popular newspapers and magazines by subscription or single copy purchases.
Barnes & Noble’s adoption of open standards like EPUB format and its Adobe® technology partnership allows customers to enjoy their NOOK content on a wide variety of devices and platforms. Purchased content is always safe and secure through the free NOOK Cloud™, making it easy for UK customers to access digital books, magazines and newspapers from their NOOK devices, tablets and smartphones for reading on the go.
Featuring NOOK’s award-winning digital reading platform perfectly optimised for iOS and Android devices, customers can personalise their reading experience by selecting from a variety of supported languages, professionally designed or customised themes and multiple font types and sizes. While reading a book, seamlessly search, add notes, highlights and bookmarks, look up words using the in-built British English dictionary and more. Pinch and zoom to navigate and explore even the tiniest details of popular NOOK Magazines™ and use innovative ArticleView™ to focus only on the text, and get closer to favorite superheroes and characters in NOOK Comics™ with Zoom View™, which puts the focus on individual panels for an even more immersive digital comics experience.
NOOK has recently launched a range of devices in the UK, including NOOK® HD, the ultra-light and highest-resolution 7-inch HD tablet, NOOK® HD+, the lightest and lowest priced full HD tablet, as well as the highly-acclaimed NOOK Simple Touch and NOOK Simple Touch GlowLight E Ink® eReaders. The perfect companion to NOOK devices, free NOOK Reading Apps will give even more Brits, who already own an iOS or Android-based tablet or smartphone access to one of the world’s largest digital bookstores. As part of the introduction of the free reading apps to the UK, Barnes & Noble gives new NOOK for Android and NOOK for iOS customers access to free books to begin their NOOK reading experience, and free trial subscriptions to magazines and newspapers.
More information and access to download free NOOK for Android and NOOK for iOS apps is available at http://uk.nook.com/nook-mobile-apps. Customers can also find and download NOOK for Android from the Google Play Store and NOOK for iOS in the Apple App Store.
About Barnes & Noble, Inc.
Barnes & Noble, Inc. (NYSE:BKS) is a Fortune 500 company and the leading retailer of content, digital media and educational products. The company operates 689 Barnes & Noble bookstores in 50 states, and one of the Web’s largest e-commerce sites, BN.com (www.bn.com). Its NOOK Media LLC subsidiary is a leader in the emerging digital reading and digital education markets. The NOOK digital business offers award-winning NOOK® products and an expansive collection of digital reading and entertainment content through the NOOK Store™ (www.nook.com), while Barnes & Noble College Booksellers, LLC operates 667 bookstores serving over 4.6 million students and faculty members at colleges and universities across the United States. Barnes & Noble is proud to be named a J.D. Power and Associated 2012 Customer Service Champion and is only one of 50 U.S. companies so named. Barnes & Noble.com is ranked the number one online retailer in customer satisfaction in the book, music and video category and a Top 10 online retailer overall in customer satisfaction according to ForeSee E-Retail Satisfaction Index (Spring Top 100 Edition).
General information on Barnes & Noble, Inc. can be obtained via the Internet by visiting the company's corporate website: www.barnesandnobleinc.com.
NOOK®, NOOK Store™, NOOK Video™, NOOK Video Apps™ are trademarks of Barnes & Noble, Inc. Other trademarks referenced in this release are the property of their respective owners.
About NOOK Media LLC
NOOK reading and entertainment products make it easy to read what you love, anywhere you like™ with a fun, easy-to-use and immersive digital reading experience. With NOOK, customers gain access to the expansive NOOK Store™ of more than 3 million digital books, plus periodicals, comics, apps, movies and TV shows, and the ability to enjoy content across a wide array of popular devices through free NOOK Reading Apps™ and NOOK Video apps, available at www.nook.com/freenookapps. NOOK owners receive Always Free NOOK Support in any of Barnes & Noble’s nearly 700 bookstores. Find NOOK devices in Barnes & Noble stores and online at www.nook.com, as well as leading retailers including Best Buy, Walmart, Target and many others. NOOK products are available in the United Kingdom through www.nook.co.uk and leading retailers.
- The Odd Couple: Marrying Agile and Waterfall
- Fanning the Flames of Agile
- Internet of @ThingsExpo Silicon Valley Call for Papers Now Open
- April and May 2014 Server and StorageIO Update newsletter
- MangoApps to Exhibit at Cloud Expo New York
- WSO2 Introduces Industry’s First Enterprise Identity Bus With the Launch of WSO2 Identity Server 5.0
- Practical WebRTC: From API to Solution
- Last Chance to Register for LTE World Summit
- The Butterfly Effect Within IT
- The Business Challenges Impacting Digital Transformation
- Stay Current on the Internet of Things
- Setting the Bar for Agile Architecture
- How to Get the Best From Virtual Employees
- Global Financial Firms Can Effectively Address Technology Risk Guidelines
- .CLUB Domain Name Extension Now Available for General Registration
- MapR Technologies Announces Upcoming June Conferences
- More Mainstream Businesses Depend on Open Source
- AMAG, HP, ImageWare Systems, March Networks and StrikeForce Discuss Security Solutions in SecuritySolutionsWatch.com Interviews
- F5 to Present at Upcoming Technology and Investor Conferences
- The Odd Couple: Marrying Agile and Waterfall
- Flexera Software’s InstallShield 2014 Release Introduces New Support of Cloud and Virtualised Installations, High-DPI Displays and Touch Devices, and Agile Development
- FlexNet Manager Suite Wins CODiE Award for Best Asset Management Solution - 4th CODiE Award for Flexera Software
- Fanning the Flames of Agile
- WSO2 Guest Speakers at WSO2Con Europe 2014 Will Examine Technology Developments and Best Practices Enabling the Connected Business
- The Top 150 Players in Cloud Computing
- Who Are The All-Time Heroes of i-Technology?
- Where Are RIA Technologies Headed in 2008?
- Success, Arrogance, Rise and Fall
- AJAX World RIA Conference & Expo Kicks Off in New York City
- The Top 250 Players in the Cloud Computing Ecosystem
- Personal Branding Checklist
- i-Technology Viewpoint: Attack of the Blogs
- Exclusive Q&A with Jeff Haynie, Co-Founder & CEO, Appcelerator
- Cloud People: A Who's Who of Cloud Computing
- Ulitzer Names the World's 30 Most Influential Cloud Computing Bloggers
- Web 2.0 News and Wrapping Up "Real-World AJAX" Seminar