|By PR Newswire||
|November 18, 2012 02:01 AM EST||
RICHMOND, Va., Nov. 18, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Tonya Mallory, President, CEO and Co-founder of Health Diagnostic Laboratory, Inc., has been named the Ernst & Young National Entrepreneur Of The Year® 2012 Emerging Category Award winner. The Ernst & Young Entrepreneur Of The Year Award is the country's most prestigious business award for entrepreneurs. The award encourages entrepreneurial activity and recognizes leaders and visionaries who demonstrate innovation, financial success and personal commitment as they create and build world-class businesses.
Mallory was recognized for bringing her vision that medicine should be preventative, not reactionary, to fruition. Through her commitment and focus on improving the disease management services that Health Diagnostics Laboratory, Inc. (HDL) provides, as well as expanding the network of physicians it caters to, Mallory hopes to gain market share and significantly reverse the trend of increasing medical care costs. She was honored at the Entrepreneur Of The Year gala, the culminating event of the Ernst & Young Strategic Growth Forum® in Palm Springs, Calif. The Forum is the nation's premier gathering of high-growth, market-leading companies. Awards were given in nine additional categories. All Ernst & Young Entrepreneur Of The Year Award winners were selected by an independent panel of judges from 244 regional award recipients.
"The best ideas usually come to life when entrepreneurs look to fill a gap in an industry they feel passionate about," said Bryan Pearce, Americas Director, Entrepreneur Of The Year, Ernst & Young LLP. "Capitalizing on her unique business model, Mallory has beat the odds, gaining traction in an otherwise well-established healthcare market with big players."
Inspiration from experience on the front lines
Mallory began her professional career as a laboratory technician where she gained more than 20 years of experience in clinical diagnostics and disease management. It was during that time she realized how reactionary medical practices are after an event such as a heart attack or stroke has happened; there were relatively few preventative measures in place for high-risk patients. Her vision was to assist in identifying and treating the patient before a more serious condition occurs, and to cut down on the exorbitant costs of an emergency room visit in the process.
In early 2009, Tonya Mallory set out to make her vision a reality, changing the way medicine was practiced. She cashed in her 401K and her children's college savings plans and gave herself six months to start a company that would help her reach that goal. She was able to raise additional funds as necessary to launch HDL, which has enjoyed substantial growth and market acceptance.
Navigating explosive growth of a new company
The main challenge Mallory faced with HDL was surprisingly not that of opposition from its competitors and those within the industry, but rather handling its rapid growth and immediate success. Mallory attributes her successful navigation of this explosive growth period to a few key areas of focus: early investment and emphasis on information technology; establishing the company's culture – HDL increased its number of employees to 126 in 2010, 375 in 2011, and employs approximately 500 today. With business booming, and the company growing quickly, Mallory personally meets all new employees and also hired a vice president of corporate culture. Finally, there is a focus on innovation – HDL places a premium on entrepreneurial employees who welcome change and incentivizing people to think creatively.National Entrepreneur Of The Year 2012 Emerging Category finalists:
In addition to Mallory, the Ernst & Young National Entrepreneur Of The Year Emerging finalists were: Charles Forrest Burke, CEO, LOGC2, Inc. dba Connected Logistics, based in Huntsville, Ala., a company focused on bridging the gap between logistics and information technology for vast, complex and critical supply chains; Tom Gildred, CEO, Emerald Textiles, based in San Diego, Calif., a regional hospital laundry service leader; and Joe Reynolds, President and Architect of Adventure, and Ryan Kunkel, President and Master of Monkeybusiness, Red Frog Events, based in Chicago, Ill., an independent event production company. National Entrepreneur Of The Year® 2012 Overall Award winner
Hamdi Ulukaya, Founder of Chobani, was named the Ernst & Young National Entrepreneur Of The Year® 2012 Overall Award winner.
Video and photos
To view video clips of all of the Entrepreneur Of The Year winners, please visit ey.com/us/eoy. Photos of the winners are also available by request.
Founded and produced by Ernst & Young LLP, the Entrepreneur Of The Year Awards are nationally sponsored in the United States by SAP America and the Ewing Marion Kauffman Foundation.
About Ernst & Young's Entrepreneur Of The Year
Ernst & Young's Entrepreneur Of The Year is the world's most prestigious business award for entrepreneurs. The unique award makes a difference through the way it encourages entrepreneurial activity among those with potential and recognizes the contribution of people who inspire others with their vision, leadership and achievement. As the first and only truly global award of its kind, Entrepreneur Of The Year celebrates those who are building and leading successful, growing and dynamic businesses, recognizing them through regional, national and global awards programs in more than 140 cities in 50 countries.
About Ernst & Young LLP's Strategic Growth Markets practice
Ernst & Young LLP's Strategic Growth Markets (SGM) practice guides leading high-growth companies. Our multidisciplinary team of elite professionals provides perspective and advice to help our clients accelerate market leadership. SGM delivers assurance, tax, transactions and advisory services to thousands of companies spanning all industries. Ernst & Young is the undisputed leader in taking companies public, advising key government agencies on the issues impacting high-growth companies and convening the experts who shape the business climate. For more information, please visit us at ey.com/us/strategicgrowthmarkets, or follow news on Twitter at EY_Growth.
About Ernst & Young
Ernst & Young is a global leader in assurance, tax, transaction and advisory services. Worldwide, our 167,000 people are united by our shared values and an unwavering commitment to quality. We make a difference by helping our people, our clients and our wider communities achieve their potential.
For more information, please visit ey.com.This news release has been issued by Ernst & Young LLP, a client-serving member firm of Ernst Young Global Limited operating in the US.
SOURCE Ernst & Young
- The Odd Couple: Marrying Agile and Waterfall
- Fanning the Flames of Agile
- Internet of @ThingsExpo Silicon Valley Call for Papers Now Open
- April and May 2014 Server and StorageIO Update newsletter
- MangoApps to Exhibit at Cloud Expo New York
- WSO2 Introduces Industry’s First Enterprise Identity Bus With the Launch of WSO2 Identity Server 5.0
- Practical WebRTC: From API to Solution
- Last Chance to Register for LTE World Summit
- The Butterfly Effect Within IT
- The Business Challenges Impacting Digital Transformation
- Stay Current on the Internet of Things
- Setting the Bar for Agile Architecture
- How to Get the Best From Virtual Employees
- Global Financial Firms Can Effectively Address Technology Risk Guidelines
- .CLUB Domain Name Extension Now Available for General Registration
- MapR Technologies Announces Upcoming June Conferences
- More Mainstream Businesses Depend on Open Source
- AMAG, HP, ImageWare Systems, March Networks and StrikeForce Discuss Security Solutions in SecuritySolutionsWatch.com Interviews
- F5 to Present at Upcoming Technology and Investor Conferences
- The Odd Couple: Marrying Agile and Waterfall
- Flexera Software’s InstallShield 2014 Release Introduces New Support of Cloud and Virtualised Installations, High-DPI Displays and Touch Devices, and Agile Development
- FlexNet Manager Suite Wins CODiE Award for Best Asset Management Solution - 4th CODiE Award for Flexera Software
- Fanning the Flames of Agile
- WSO2 Guest Speakers at WSO2Con Europe 2014 Will Examine Technology Developments and Best Practices Enabling the Connected Business
- The Top 150 Players in Cloud Computing
- Who Are The All-Time Heroes of i-Technology?
- Where Are RIA Technologies Headed in 2008?
- Success, Arrogance, Rise and Fall
- AJAX World RIA Conference & Expo Kicks Off in New York City
- The Top 250 Players in the Cloud Computing Ecosystem
- Personal Branding Checklist
- i-Technology Viewpoint: Attack of the Blogs
- Exclusive Q&A with Jeff Haynie, Co-Founder & CEO, Appcelerator
- Cloud People: A Who's Who of Cloud Computing
- Ulitzer Names the World's 30 Most Influential Cloud Computing Bloggers
- Web 2.0 News and Wrapping Up "Real-World AJAX" Seminar