|By PR Newswire||
|November 14, 2012 06:21 PM EST||
OAKVILLE, ON, Nov. 14, 2012 /PRNewswire/ - Algonquin Power & Utilities Corp. ("APUC") (TSX: AQN), today announced financial results for the third quarter ended September 30, 2012.
- For the third quarter of 2012, revenue was $99.0 million as compared to $66.0 million in the third quarter of 2011. The increase in revenue over the same period in 2011 is primarily related to results from the acquisitions of the New Hampshire gas and electric utility assets, Midwest gas utility assets, and the acquisition of an interest in the Sandy Ridge Wind Project ("Sandy Ridge"), all of which occurred in the third quarter of 2012. For the first nine months of 2012, APUC generated revenue of $228.9 million as compared to $204.6 million in the first nine months of 2011.
- Adjusted earnings before interest, taxes, depreciation and amortization ("EBITDA") was $24.2 million in the third quarter of 2012 as compared to $25.9 million in the third quarter of 2011. The decrease in adjusted EBITDA over the comparable period is primarily related to lower results from operations as a result of lower hydrology in Algonquin Power Co's ("APCo") renewable energy partially offset by the EBITDA generated by the utility acquisitions in the quarter. APUC generated adjusted EBITDA of $72.4 million for the first nine months of 2012 as compared to $81.0 million for the first nine months of 2011.
- APUC reported adjusted net earnings of $3.3 million or $0.02 per share in the third quarter of 2012 as compared to adjusted net earnings of $21.5 million or $0.18 per share in the third quarter of 2011. For the first nine months of 2012, APUC reported adjusted net earnings of $15.7 million or $0.11 per share as compared to $34.9 million or $0.31 per share for the first nine months of 2011.
- On July 1, 2012, APCo completed the acquisition of a 58.75% interest in the 50 MW Sandy Ridge wind project in the United States from Gamesa Corporación Tecnológica, S.A. Total consideration paid for the acquisition of the interest in Sandy Ridge was approximately U.S. $29.7 million. Revenue from Sandy Ridge was $0.7 million in the quarter.
- On July 3, 2012, Liberty Utilities completed the acquisition of all issued and outstanding shares of Granite State and EnergyNorth, both from National Grid, for consideration of U.S. $285.0 million plus working capital and other closing adjustments for a total purchase price of U.S. $297.4 million. Net utility sales for these systems totalled U.S. $17.1 million during the third quarter of 2012.
- On August 1, 2012, Liberty Utilities completed the acquisitions of regulated natural gas distribution utility assets located in Missouri, Iowa, and Illinois from Atmos Energy Corporation for consideration of U.S. $123.9 million plus working capital and other closing adjustments for a total purchase price of U.S. $128.9 million. During the quarter, net utility sales for these systems totalled U.S. $3.6 million during the third quarter of 2012.
- On July 20, 2012, Liberty Utilities entered into an agreement with United Waterworks Inc. to acquire all issued and outstanding shares of a regulated water distribution utility located in Pine Bluff, Arkansas serving approximately 17,300 customers. Total purchase price is approximately U.S. $28.6 million representing a 1.16x premium to expected closing rate base of U.S. $24.6 million and subject to certain working capital and other closing adjustments. Closing of the transaction is subject to certain conditions including state and federal regulatory approval, and is expected to occur in 2013.
- On August 8, 2012, Liberty Utilities entered into an agreement with Atmos Energy Corporation to acquire the regulated natural gas distribution utility assets serving approximately 64,000 customers located in the State of Georgia. Total purchase price is approximately U.S. $140.7 million representing a 1.1x premium to rate base of U.S. $128.1 million and is subject to certain working capital and other closing adjustments. Closing of the transaction is subject to certain conditions including state and federal regulatory approval, and is expected to occur in 2013.
- As a result of the successful completion of the previously mentioned acquisitions, on August 9, 2012, the Board of Directors of APUC approved a dividend increase of $0.03 annually bringing the total annual dividend to $0.31, paid quarterly at the rate of $0.0775 per common share.
- Subsequent to the end of the quarter, APUC issued 4.8 million cumulative rate reset preferred shares, Series A at a price of $25 per share for aggregate gross proceeds of $120 million. The shares yield 4.5% annually for the initial six year period.
"We are pleased at having closed four acquisitions in the quarter which now positions APUC for significant growth over the next year in both our non-regulated and regulated businesses", commented Ian Robertson, Chief Executive Officer of APUC. "Our achievements in the third quarter contributed to the ability for the Board of Directors to increase the annual dividend by 11%, consistent with our strategy of delivering total shareholder return comprised of attractive dividend yield and capital appreciation."
APUC's supplemental information is available on the web site at www.algonquinpowerandutilities.com by using the Quarterly Reports link in the Top Links section of the home page.
APUC will hold an earnings conference call at 10:00 a.m. eastern time on Thursday, November 15, 2012, hosted by Chief Executive Officer, Ian Robertson and Chief Financial Officer, David Bronicheski.
Conference call details are as follows:
Date: Thursday, November 15, 2012
Start Time: 10:00 a.m. eastern
Phone Number: Toll free within North America: 1-800-814-4860 or Local 416-644-3416.
Conference ID#: 4569905
For those unable to attend the live call, a digital recording will be available for replay two hours after the call by dialing 1-877-289-8525 or 416-640-1917 access code 4569905# from November 15, 2012 until November 29, 2012.
About Algonquin Power & Utilities Corp.
Algonquin Power & Utilities Corp. owns and operates a diversified portfolio of $1.7 billion of regulated and non-regulated utilities in North America. The company's regulated utility business provides regulated water, electricity and natural gas utility services to more than 335,000 customers with a portfolio of 27 distribution utility systems. The company's non-regulated electric generation subsidiary includes 23 renewable energy facilities and 7 thermal energy facilities representing more than 460 MW of installed capacity. Algonquin delivers continuing growth through an expanding pipeline of renewable power and clean energy projects, organic growth within its regulated utilities and the pursuit of accretive acquisition opportunities. Common shares and Preferred shares are traded on the Toronto Stock Exchange under the symbol AQN and AQN.PR.A respectively. Visit Algonquin Power and Utilities at www.AlgonquinPowerandUtilities.com and follow us on Twitter @AQN_Utilities.
Caution Regarding Forward-Looking Information
Certain statements included in this news release contain information that is forward-looking within the meaning of certain securities laws, including information and statements regarding prospective results of operations, financial position or cash flows. These statements are based on factors or assumptions that were applied in drawing a conclusion or making a forecast or projection, including assumptions based on historical trends, current conditions and expected future developments. Since forward-looking statements relate to future events and conditions, by their very nature they require making assumptions and involve inherent risks and uncertainties. APUC cautions that although it is believed that the assumptions are reasonable in the circumstances, these risks and uncertainties give rise to the possibility that actual results may differ materially from the expectations set out in the forward-looking statements. Material risk factors include those set out in the management's discussion and analysis section of APUC's most recent annual report, quarterly report, and APUC's Annual Information Form. Given these risks, undue reliance should not be placed on these forward-looking statements, which apply only as of their dates. Other than as specifically required by law, APUC undertakes no obligation to update any forward-looking statements or information to reflect new information, subsequent or otherwise.
SOURCE Algonquin Power & Utilities Corp.
Today we can collect lots and lots of performance data. We build beautiful dashboards and even have fancy query languages to access and transform the data. Still performance data is a secret language only a couple of people understand. The more business becomes digital the more stakeholders are interested in this data including how it relates to business. Some of these people have never used a monitoring tool before. They have a question on their mind like “How is my application doing” but no id...
Aug. 31, 2016 02:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,969
Cloud computing is being adopted in one form or another by 94% of enterprises today. Tens of billions of new devices are being connected to The Internet of Things. And Big Data is driving this bus. An exponential increase is expected in the amount of information being processed, managed, analyzed, and acted upon by enterprise IT. This amazing is not part of some distant future - it is happening today. One report shows a 650% increase in enterprise data by 2020. Other estimates are even higher....
Aug. 31, 2016 01:45 AM EDT Reads: 3,067
Smart Cities are here to stay, but for their promise to be delivered, the data they produce must not be put in new siloes. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Mathias Herberts, Co-founder and CTO of Cityzen Data, will deep dive into best practices that will ensure a successful smart city journey.
Aug. 31, 2016 01:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,703
Identity is in everything and customers are looking to their providers to ensure the security of their identities, transactions and data. With the increased reliance on cloud-based services, service providers must build security and trust into their offerings, adding value to customers and improving the user experience. Making identity, security and privacy easy for customers provides a unique advantage over the competition.
Aug. 30, 2016 08:15 PM EDT Reads: 2,490
SYS-CON Events announced today that 910Telecom will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Housed in the classic Denver Gas & Electric Building, 910 15th St., 910Telecom is a carrier-neutral telecom hotel located in the heart of Denver. Adjacent to CenturyLink, AT&T, and Denver Main, 910Telecom offers connectivity to all major carriers, Internet service providers, Internet backbones and ...
Aug. 30, 2016 08:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,031
SYS-CON Events announced today that Pulzze Systems will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Pulzze Systems, Inc. provides infrastructure products for the Internet of Things to enable any connected device and system to carry out matched operations without programming. For more information, visit http://www.pulzzesystems.com.
Aug. 30, 2016 07:15 PM EDT Reads: 364
There is growing need for data-driven applications and the need for digital platforms to build these apps. In his session at 19th Cloud Expo, Muddu Sudhakar, VP and GM of Security & IoT at Splunk, will cover different PaaS solutions and Big Data platforms that are available to build applications. In addition, AI and machine learning are creating new requirements that developers need in the building of next-gen apps. The next-generation digital platforms have some of the past platform needs a...
Aug. 30, 2016 07:00 PM EDT Reads: 937
Data is an unusual currency; it is not restricted by the same transactional limitations as money or people. In fact, the more that you leverage your data across multiple business use cases, the more valuable it becomes to the organization. And the same can be said about the organization’s analytics. In his session at 19th Cloud Expo, Bill Schmarzo, CTO for the Big Data Practice at EMC, will introduce a methodology for capturing, enriching and sharing data (and analytics) across the organizati...
Aug. 30, 2016 06:15 PM EDT Reads: 374
Internet of @ThingsExpo, taking place November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, is co-located with 19th Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. The Internet of Things (IoT) is the most profound change in personal and enterprise IT since the creation of the Worldwide Web more than 20 years ago. All major researchers estimate there will be tens of billions devices - comp...
Aug. 30, 2016 03:30 PM EDT Reads: 3,782
SYS-CON Events announced today Telecom Reseller has been named “Media Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Telecom Reseller reports on Unified Communications, UCaaS, BPaaS for enterprise and SMBs. They report extensively on both customer premises based solutions such as IP-PBX as well as cloud based and hosted platforms.
Aug. 30, 2016 02:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,060
SYS-CON Events announced today that Adobe has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 18th Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York, New York. Adobe is changing the world though digital experiences. Adobe helps customers develop and deliver high-impact experiences that differentiate brands, build loyalty, and drive revenue across every screen, including smartphones, computers, tablets and TVs. Adobe content solutions are used daily by millions of co...
Aug. 30, 2016 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 3,819
Why do your mobile transformations need to happen today? Mobile is the strategy that enterprise transformation centers on to drive customer engagement. In his general session at @ThingsExpo, Roger Woods, Director, Mobile Product & Strategy – Adobe Marketing Cloud, covered key IoT and mobile trends that are forcing mobile transformation, key components of a solid mobile strategy and explored how brands are effectively driving mobile change throughout the enterprise.
Aug. 30, 2016 01:45 PM EDT Reads: 707
Pulzze Systems was happy to participate in such a premier event and thankful to be receiving the winning investment and global network support from G-Startup Worldwide. It is an exciting time for Pulzze to showcase the effectiveness of innovative technologies and enable them to make the world smarter and better. The reputable contest is held to identify promising startups around the globe that are assured to change the world through their innovative products and disruptive technologies. There w...
Aug. 30, 2016 01:30 PM EDT Reads: 897
Data is the fuel that drives the machine learning algorithmic engines and ultimately provides the business value. In his session at Cloud Expo, Ed Featherston, a director and senior enterprise architect at Collaborative Consulting, will discuss the key considerations around quality, volume, timeliness, and pedigree that must be dealt with in order to properly fuel that engine.
Aug. 30, 2016 01:15 PM EDT Reads: 2,075
19th Cloud Expo, taking place November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. Cloud computing is now being embraced by a majority of enterprises of all sizes. Yesterday's debate about public vs. private has transformed into the reality of hybrid cloud: a recent survey shows that 74% of enterprises have a hybrid cloud strategy. Meanwhile, 94% of enterpri...
Aug. 30, 2016 01:00 PM EDT Reads: 3,245
Almost two-thirds of companies either have or soon will have IoT as the backbone of their business in 2016. However, IoT is far more complex than most firms expected. How can you not get trapped in the pitfalls? In his session at @ThingsExpo, Tony Shan, a renowned visionary and thought leader, will introduce a holistic method of IoTification, which is the process of IoTifying the existing technology and business models to adopt and leverage IoT. He will drill down to the components in this fra...
Aug. 30, 2016 10:30 AM EDT Reads: 430
With so much going on in this space you could be forgiven for thinking you were always working with yesterday’s technologies. So much change, so quickly. What do you do if you have to build a solution from the ground up that is expected to live in the field for at least 5-10 years? This is the challenge we faced when we looked to refresh our existing 10-year-old custom hardware stack to measure the fullness of trash cans and compactors.
Aug. 30, 2016 02:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,878
The emerging Internet of Everything creates tremendous new opportunities for customer engagement and business model innovation. However, enterprises must overcome a number of critical challenges to bring these new solutions to market. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Michael Martin, CTO/CIO at nfrastructure, outlined these key challenges and recommended approaches for overcoming them to achieve speed and agility in the design, development and implementation of Internet of Everything solutions wi...
Aug. 30, 2016 02:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,273
DevOps at Cloud Expo, taking place Nov 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, is co-located with 19th Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. The widespread success of cloud computing is driving the DevOps revolution in enterprise IT. Now as never before, development teams must communicate and collaborate in a dynamic, 24/7/365 environment. There is no time to wait for long dev...
Aug. 29, 2016 10:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,519
The 19th International Cloud Expo has announced that its Call for Papers is open. Cloud Expo, to be held November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, brings together Cloud Computing, Big Data, Internet of Things, DevOps, Digital Transformation, Microservices and WebRTC to one location. With cloud computing driving a higher percentage of enterprise IT budgets every year, it becomes increasingly important to plant your flag in this fast-expanding business opportuni...
Aug. 28, 2016 10:30 PM EDT Reads: 4,103