|By Marketwired .||
|November 14, 2012 12:00 PM EST||
BARCELONA, SPAIN -- (Marketwire) -- 11/14/12 -- Barcelona's City Council, GDF SUEZ, Cisco (NASDAQ: CSCO) and more than 30 cities plus organizations and universities from all over the world have agreed to officially launch the City Protocol as the first certification system for smart cities, as well as the City Protocol Society, an organization set up to manage it.
The announcement is taking part within the second annual edition of the Smart City Expo World Congress hosted in Barcelona. It is the result of an international meeting celebrated in July, under the title of Building Better Cities Together and the ongoing work around the definition of the methodology behind creating an urban innovation model, based on standards definition, platform integration, and technology and solutions development.
This initiative is also part of the collaboration between Cisco and Barcelona's City Council last March that envisages several strategic projects such as the Cisco® Smart+Connected Communities platform and a City Framework that will define the information and communication technology (ICT) aspects of the City Protocol, which will be embedded into the overall City Protocol model.
On that basis, City Protocol is a delivery-focused network of global cities that, in partnership with industry, research agencies and other organizations, is developing common approaches and solutions to help cities build a sustainable future. By utilizing knowledge and experiences of real city transformations, this trusted and open community offers curated guidance so that cities do not have to navigate this journey alone.
City Protocol refers to both a program of activity and to an organization that is being set up to manage it.
- City Protocol (CP) is a new, distinctive and substantial program that will enable better understanding and collaboration among the different stakeholders (cities, academia, institutions, companies, and society) that are involved in the development of more sustainable, efficient, cohesive and innovative smart cities. It will deliver benefits both within and between cities, by addressing cities in an integrated, systematic way.
- The program will be developed on an open, transparent, principled and collaborative basis, to deliver truly shared, trusted and universally useful outcomes. Using a process modelled on the way the Internet Protocol (IP) is managed to enable its continual evolution and development, the results will be thought out, debated and developed openly and internationally, using the best thinking and expertise within the City Protocol community.
- The CP program will deliver agreements developed to address issues agreed by the community. These will lead to both:
- CP-endorsed city projects and policies: projects and policies tested in cities that can be used as exemplars for other cities, along with indicators and certifications for those same projects and policies;
- Recommendations and technology standards for industry: industry-based standards, technologies and solutions which are standardized on a CP basis.
- The City Protocol Society (CPS) will be a membership-based organization whose role will be to manage the City Protocol programme. Membership will be open to city councils, industry, research organizations and other agencies involved in city transformation. However, city councils will have the largest representation in order to ensure that the CPS is focused around the needs of cities to transform themselves to meet the immense challenges they face.
- The details of the membership, resourcing needs and other issues will be developed by the City Protocol community over the next few months.
- The official launch of the CPS sets out the roadmap for the society to be fully operational by April 2013.
- Barcelona Mayor Xavier Trias: "Mayors and city leaders worldwide know that cities are increasingly aware of the chronic issues of ageing and mobility, climate change, rising energy costs, the effects of increasing congestion and security threats. The City Protocol presents an opportunity to handle all these challenges in a more open, coordinated and efficient manner."
- Seoul Mayor Park Won-Soon: "Forward-looking cities such as Barcelona and Seoul are embracing the transformation agenda. However, embarking on significant change programs is risky, particularly because it is difficult to find reliable and relevant evidence to properly evaluate the options for major new initiatives. City Protocol will help address this issue following a well-defined and common structure."
- Stéphane Quere, urban development at GDF SUEZ Corporate Commercial & Marketing Department: "The whole cycle of innovation can only be enabled by solid, trust-based cross-sector partnership working. It is only by bringing together the resources and strengths of all key stakeholders that cities will be able to meet the challenges they are faced with every day."
- Jordi Botifoll, senior vice president for LATAM: "As city officials, academics and enterprises alike seek to address some of the challenges in building and managing smarter and connected cities and communities, the City Protocol launch is a successful beginning. Cisco stands committed to this important initiative and when we look back to this date from the future, we should feel proud of a legacy we created together in an open and collaborative way."
- Manel Sanromá, director of Innovation, Barcelona City Council and coordinator of City Protocol Society Secretary: "The City Protocol Society is a trusted community that leverages knowledge and experiences in real city transformations throughout the world. It offers curated guidance so that cities do not have to navigate this journey alone."
- Charlie Catlett, senior computer scientist, Argonne National Lab and University of Chicago: "The complexity of cities (multiple parties, stakeholders, and processes) remains the most significant barrier to adopting smart city solutions. City Protocol, however, presents the best opportunity to integrate physical city infrastructures, from utilities, transportation, and real estate to city services."
- José Campos, director of San Francisco Planning Department: "The debate is no longer about why a smart city initiative is good for a city or which available options to choose, but instead about how to implement smart city infrastructures and services, including the importance of a common language and a structured approach to implementation."
- Video: Anil Menon, president of Smart+Connected Communities and Cisco Globalization, announcing the new City Protocol.
- Video: Cities of the future.
- Follow ongoing news about the City Protocol on http://www.cityprotocol.org.
- Further information about the Cisco Smart+Connected Communities initiative: http://www.cisco.com/go/smartconnectedcommunities.
- Follow Cisco Smart+Connected Communities on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/CiscoSCC.
- Follow Cisco Smart+Connected Communities on Twitter: http://twitter.com/CiscoSCC
- Follow Cisco Spain on Twitter: http://twitter.com/cisco_spain
Cisco (NASDAQ: CSCO) is the worldwide leader in networking that transforms how people connect, communicate and collaborate. Information about Cisco can be found at http://www.cisco.com. For ongoing news, please go to http://newsroom.cisco.com
Cisco and the Cisco logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Cisco and/or its affiliates in the U.S. and other countries. A listing of Cisco's trademarks can be found at www.cisco.com/go/trademarks. Third-party trademarks mentioned are the property of their respective owners. The use of the word partner does not imply a partnership relationship between Cisco and any other company.
RSS Feed for Cisco: http://newsroom.cisco.com/rss-feeds
Is your aging software platform suffering from technical debt while the market changes and demands new solutions at a faster clip? It’s a bold move, but you might consider walking away from your core platform and starting fresh. ReadyTalk did exactly that. In his General Session at 19th Cloud Expo, Michael Chambliss, Head of Engineering at ReadyTalk, will discuss why and how ReadyTalk diverted from healthy revenue and over a decade of audio conferencing product development to start an innovati...
Jul. 26, 2016 09:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,002
Amazon has gradually rolled out parts of its IoT offerings in the last year, but these are just the tip of the iceberg. In addition to optimizing their back-end AWS offerings, Amazon is laying the ground work to be a major force in IoT – especially in the connected home and office. Amazon is extending its reach by building on its dominant Cloud IoT platform, its Dash Button strategy, recently announced Replenishment Services, the Echo/Alexa voice recognition control platform, the 6-7 strategic...
Jul. 26, 2016 09:02 AM EDT Reads: 137
SYS-CON Events announced today that Venafi, the Immune System for the Internet™ and the leading provider of Next Generation Trust Protection, will exhibit at @DevOpsSummit at 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Venafi is the Immune System for the Internet™ that protects the foundation of all cybersecurity – cryptographic keys and digital certificates – so they can’t be misused by bad guys in attacks...
Jul. 26, 2016 08:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,308
It’s 2016: buildings are smart, connected and the IoT is fundamentally altering how control and operating systems work and speak to each other. Platforms across the enterprise are networked via inexpensive sensors to collect massive amounts of data for analytics, information management, and insights that can be used to continuously improve operations. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Brian Chemel, Co-Founder and CTO of Digital Lumens, will explore: The benefits sensor-networked systems bring to ...
Jul. 26, 2016 08:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,515
SYS-CON Events announced today that 910Telecom will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Housed in the classic Denver Gas & Electric Building, 910 15th St., 910Telecom is a carrier-neutral telecom hotel located in the heart of Denver. Adjacent to CenturyLink, AT&T, and Denver Main, 910Telecom offers connectivity to all major carriers, Internet service providers, Internet backbones and ...
Jul. 26, 2016 08:45 AM EDT Reads: 585
There will be new vendors providing applications, middleware, and connected devices to support the thriving IoT ecosystem. This essentially means that electronic device manufacturers will also be in the software business. Many will be new to building embedded software or robust software. This creates an increased importance on software quality, particularly within the Industrial Internet of Things where business-critical applications are becoming dependent on products controlled by software. Qua...
Jul. 26, 2016 06:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,420
SYS-CON Events has announced today that Roger Strukhoff has been named conference chair of Cloud Expo and @ThingsExpo 2016 Silicon Valley. The 19th Cloud Expo and 6th @ThingsExpo will take place on November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. "The Internet of Things brings trillions of dollars of opportunity to developers and enterprise IT, no matter how you measure it," stated Roger Strukhoff. "More importantly, it leverages the power of devices and the Interne...
Jul. 26, 2016 05:15 AM EDT Reads: 2,102
Large scale deployments present unique planning challenges, system commissioning hurdles between IT and OT and demand careful system hand-off orchestration. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Jeff Smith, Senior Director and a founding member of Incenergy, will discuss some of the key tactics to ensure delivery success based on his experience of the last two years deploying Industrial IoT systems across four continents.
Jul. 26, 2016 05:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,533
CenturyLink has announced that application server solutions from GENBAND are now available as part of CenturyLink’s Networx contracts. The General Services Administration (GSA)’s Networx program includes the largest telecommunications contract vehicles ever awarded by the federal government. CenturyLink recently secured an extension through spring 2020 of its offerings available to federal government agencies via GSA’s Networx Universal and Enterprise contracts. GENBAND’s EXPERiUS™ Application...
Jul. 26, 2016 03:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,838
The Internet of Things will challenge the status quo of how IT and development organizations operate. Or will it? Certainly the fog layer of IoT requires special insights about data ontology, security and transactional integrity. But the developmental challenges are the same: People, Process and Platform. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Craig Sproule, CEO of Metavine, demonstrated how to move beyond today's coding paradigm and shared the must-have mindsets for removing complexity from the develo...
Jul. 26, 2016 02:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,358
SYS-CON Events announced today that MangoApps will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. MangoApps provides modern company intranets and team collaboration software, allowing workers to stay connected and productive from anywhere in the world and from any device.
Jul. 26, 2016 01:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,323
The IETF draft standard for M2M certificates is a security solution specifically designed for the demanding needs of IoT/M2M applications. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Brian Romansky, VP of Strategic Technology at TrustPoint Innovation, explained how M2M certificates can efficiently enable confidentiality, integrity, and authenticity on highly constrained devices.
Jul. 26, 2016 01:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,020
The 19th International Cloud Expo has announced that its Call for Papers is open. Cloud Expo, to be held November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, brings together Cloud Computing, Big Data, Internet of Things, DevOps, Digital Transformation, Microservices and WebRTC to one location. With cloud computing driving a higher percentage of enterprise IT budgets every year, it becomes increasingly important to plant your flag in this fast-expanding business opportuni...
Jul. 26, 2016 01:15 AM EDT Reads: 2,545
In today's uber-connected, consumer-centric, cloud-enabled, insights-driven, multi-device, global world, the focus of solutions has shifted from the product that is sold to the person who is buying the product or service. Enterprises have rebranded their business around the consumers of their products. The buyer is the person and the focus is not on the offering. The person is connected through multiple devices, wearables, at home, on the road, and in multiple locations, sometimes simultaneously...
Jul. 26, 2016 12:45 AM EDT Reads: 682
“delaPlex Software provides software outsourcing services. We have a hybrid model where we have onshore developers and project managers that we can place anywhere in the U.S. or in Europe,” explained Manish Sachdeva, CEO at delaPlex Software, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at @ThingsExpo, held June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY.
Jul. 26, 2016 12:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,551
"We've discovered that after shows 80% if leads that people get, 80% of the conversations end up on the show floor, meaning people forget about it, people forget who they talk to, people forget that there are actual business opportunities to be had here so we try to help out and keep the conversations going," explained Jeff Mesnik, Founder and President of ContentMX, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 18th Cloud Expo, held June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY.
Jul. 25, 2016 11:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,325
From wearable activity trackers to fantasy e-sports, data and technology are transforming the way athletes train for the game and fans engage with their teams. In his session at @ThingsExpo, will present key data findings from leading sports organizations San Francisco 49ers, Orlando Magic NBA team. By utilizing data analytics these sports orgs have recognized new revenue streams, doubled its fan base and streamlined costs at its stadiums. John Paul is the CEO and Founder of VenueNext. Prior ...
Jul. 25, 2016 11:15 PM EDT Reads: 2,024
Internet of @ThingsExpo, taking place November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, is co-located with the 19th International Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world and ThingsExpo Silicon Valley Call for Papers is now open.
Jul. 25, 2016 10:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,529
The IoT is changing the way enterprises conduct business. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Eric Hoffman, Vice President at EastBanc Technologies, discussed how businesses can gain an edge over competitors by empowering consumers to take control through IoT. He cited examples such as a Washington, D.C.-based sports club that leveraged IoT and the cloud to develop a comprehensive booking system. He also highlighted how IoT can revitalize and restore outdated business models, making them profitable ...
Jul. 25, 2016 08:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,958
With 15% of enterprises adopting a hybrid IT strategy, you need to set a plan to integrate hybrid cloud throughout your infrastructure. In his session at 18th Cloud Expo, Steven Dreher, Director of Solutions Architecture at Green House Data, discussed how to plan for shifting resource requirements, overcome challenges, and implement hybrid IT alongside your existing data center assets. Highlights included anticipating workload, cost and resource calculations, integrating services on both sides...
Jul. 25, 2016 08:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,999