|By Marketwired .||
|November 14, 2012 12:00 PM EST||
BARCELONA, SPAIN -- (Marketwire) -- 11/14/12 -- Barcelona's City Council, GDF SUEZ, Cisco (NASDAQ: CSCO) and more than 30 cities plus organizations and universities from all over the world have agreed to officially launch the City Protocol as the first certification system for smart cities, as well as the City Protocol Society, an organization set up to manage it.
The announcement is taking part within the second annual edition of the Smart City Expo World Congress hosted in Barcelona. It is the result of an international meeting celebrated in July, under the title of Building Better Cities Together and the ongoing work around the definition of the methodology behind creating an urban innovation model, based on standards definition, platform integration, and technology and solutions development.
This initiative is also part of the collaboration between Cisco and Barcelona's City Council last March that envisages several strategic projects such as the Cisco® Smart+Connected Communities platform and a City Framework that will define the information and communication technology (ICT) aspects of the City Protocol, which will be embedded into the overall City Protocol model.
On that basis, City Protocol is a delivery-focused network of global cities that, in partnership with industry, research agencies and other organizations, is developing common approaches and solutions to help cities build a sustainable future. By utilizing knowledge and experiences of real city transformations, this trusted and open community offers curated guidance so that cities do not have to navigate this journey alone.
City Protocol refers to both a program of activity and to an organization that is being set up to manage it.
- City Protocol (CP) is a new, distinctive and substantial program that will enable better understanding and collaboration among the different stakeholders (cities, academia, institutions, companies, and society) that are involved in the development of more sustainable, efficient, cohesive and innovative smart cities. It will deliver benefits both within and between cities, by addressing cities in an integrated, systematic way.
- The program will be developed on an open, transparent, principled and collaborative basis, to deliver truly shared, trusted and universally useful outcomes. Using a process modelled on the way the Internet Protocol (IP) is managed to enable its continual evolution and development, the results will be thought out, debated and developed openly and internationally, using the best thinking and expertise within the City Protocol community.
- The CP program will deliver agreements developed to address issues agreed by the community. These will lead to both:
- CP-endorsed city projects and policies: projects and policies tested in cities that can be used as exemplars for other cities, along with indicators and certifications for those same projects and policies;
- Recommendations and technology standards for industry: industry-based standards, technologies and solutions which are standardized on a CP basis.
- The City Protocol Society (CPS) will be a membership-based organization whose role will be to manage the City Protocol programme. Membership will be open to city councils, industry, research organizations and other agencies involved in city transformation. However, city councils will have the largest representation in order to ensure that the CPS is focused around the needs of cities to transform themselves to meet the immense challenges they face.
- The details of the membership, resourcing needs and other issues will be developed by the City Protocol community over the next few months.
- The official launch of the CPS sets out the roadmap for the society to be fully operational by April 2013.
- Barcelona Mayor Xavier Trias: "Mayors and city leaders worldwide know that cities are increasingly aware of the chronic issues of ageing and mobility, climate change, rising energy costs, the effects of increasing congestion and security threats. The City Protocol presents an opportunity to handle all these challenges in a more open, coordinated and efficient manner."
- Seoul Mayor Park Won-Soon: "Forward-looking cities such as Barcelona and Seoul are embracing the transformation agenda. However, embarking on significant change programs is risky, particularly because it is difficult to find reliable and relevant evidence to properly evaluate the options for major new initiatives. City Protocol will help address this issue following a well-defined and common structure."
- Stéphane Quere, urban development at GDF SUEZ Corporate Commercial & Marketing Department: "The whole cycle of innovation can only be enabled by solid, trust-based cross-sector partnership working. It is only by bringing together the resources and strengths of all key stakeholders that cities will be able to meet the challenges they are faced with every day."
- Jordi Botifoll, senior vice president for LATAM: "As city officials, academics and enterprises alike seek to address some of the challenges in building and managing smarter and connected cities and communities, the City Protocol launch is a successful beginning. Cisco stands committed to this important initiative and when we look back to this date from the future, we should feel proud of a legacy we created together in an open and collaborative way."
- Manel Sanromá, director of Innovation, Barcelona City Council and coordinator of City Protocol Society Secretary: "The City Protocol Society is a trusted community that leverages knowledge and experiences in real city transformations throughout the world. It offers curated guidance so that cities do not have to navigate this journey alone."
- Charlie Catlett, senior computer scientist, Argonne National Lab and University of Chicago: "The complexity of cities (multiple parties, stakeholders, and processes) remains the most significant barrier to adopting smart city solutions. City Protocol, however, presents the best opportunity to integrate physical city infrastructures, from utilities, transportation, and real estate to city services."
- José Campos, director of San Francisco Planning Department: "The debate is no longer about why a smart city initiative is good for a city or which available options to choose, but instead about how to implement smart city infrastructures and services, including the importance of a common language and a structured approach to implementation."
- Video: Anil Menon, president of Smart+Connected Communities and Cisco Globalization, announcing the new City Protocol.
- Video: Cities of the future.
- Follow ongoing news about the City Protocol on http://www.cityprotocol.org.
- Further information about the Cisco Smart+Connected Communities initiative: http://www.cisco.com/go/smartconnectedcommunities.
- Follow Cisco Smart+Connected Communities on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/CiscoSCC.
- Follow Cisco Smart+Connected Communities on Twitter: http://twitter.com/CiscoSCC
- Follow Cisco Spain on Twitter: http://twitter.com/cisco_spain
Cisco (NASDAQ: CSCO) is the worldwide leader in networking that transforms how people connect, communicate and collaborate. Information about Cisco can be found at http://www.cisco.com. For ongoing news, please go to http://newsroom.cisco.com
Cisco and the Cisco logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Cisco and/or its affiliates in the U.S. and other countries. A listing of Cisco's trademarks can be found at www.cisco.com/go/trademarks. Third-party trademarks mentioned are the property of their respective owners. The use of the word partner does not imply a partnership relationship between Cisco and any other company.
RSS Feed for Cisco: http://newsroom.cisco.com/rss-feeds
SYS-CON Events announced today that Windstream, a leading provider of advanced network and cloud communications, has been named “Silver Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9–11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York, NY. Windstream (Nasdaq: WIN), a FORTUNE 500 and S&P 500 company, is a leading provider of advanced network communications, including cloud computing and managed services, to businesses nationwide. The company also offers broadband, phone and digital TV services to consumers primarily in rural areas.
Nov. 23, 2014 06:30 PM EST Reads: 1,597
"There is a natural synchronization between the business models, the IoT is there to support ,” explained Brendan O'Brien, Co-founder and Chief Architect of Aria Systems, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at the 15th International Cloud Expo®, held Nov 4–6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Nov. 23, 2014 12:00 PM EST Reads: 1,573
The major cloud platforms defy a simple, side-by-side analysis. Each of the major IaaS public-cloud platforms offers their own unique strengths and functionality. Options for on-site private cloud are diverse as well, and must be designed and deployed while taking existing legacy architecture and infrastructure into account. Then the reality is that most enterprises are embarking on a hybrid cloud strategy and programs. In this Power Panel at 15th Cloud Expo (http://www.CloudComputingExpo.com), moderated by Ashar Baig, Research Director, Cloud, at Gigaom Research, Nate Gordon, Director of T...
Nov. 23, 2014 07:45 AM EST Reads: 1,423
The definition of IoT is not new, in fact it’s been around for over a decade. What has changed is the public's awareness that the technology we use on a daily basis has caught up on the vision of an always on, always connected world. If you look into the details of what comprises the IoT, you’ll see that it includes everything from cloud computing, Big Data analytics, “Things,” Web communication, applications, network, storage, etc. It is essentially including everything connected online from hardware to software, or as we like to say, it’s an Internet of many different things. The difference ...
Nov. 22, 2014 10:00 PM EST Reads: 1,270
Cloud Expo 2014 TV commercials will feature @ThingsExpo, which was launched in June, 2014 at New York City's Javits Center as the largest 'Internet of Things' event in the world.
Nov. 22, 2014 05:30 PM EST Reads: 1,394
An entirely new security model is needed for the Internet of Things, or is it? Can we save some old and tested controls for this new and different environment? In his session at @ThingsExpo, New York's at the Javits Center, Davi Ottenheimer, EMC Senior Director of Trust, reviewed hands-on lessons with IoT devices and reveal a new risk balance you might not expect. Davi Ottenheimer, EMC Senior Director of Trust, has more than nineteen years' experience managing global security operations and assessments, including a decade of leading incident response and digital forensics. He is co-author of t...
Nov. 22, 2014 05:30 PM EST Reads: 1,231
ARMONK, N.Y., Nov. 20, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- IBM (NYSE: IBM) today announced that it is bringing a greater level of control, security and flexibility to cloud-based application development and delivery with a single-tenant version of Bluemix, IBM's platform-as-a-service. The new platform enables developers to build ap...
Nov. 22, 2014 05:30 PM EST Reads: 1,429
Explosive growth in connected devices. Enormous amounts of data for collection and analysis. Critical use of data for split-second decision making and actionable information. All three are factors in making the Internet of Things a reality. Yet, any one factor would have an IT organization pondering its infrastructure strategy. How should your organization enhance its IT framework to enable an Internet of Things implementation? In his session at Internet of @ThingsExpo, James Kirkland, Chief Architect for the Internet of Things and Intelligent Systems at Red Hat, described how to revolutioniz...
Nov. 21, 2014 09:15 PM EST Reads: 1,320
The security devil is always in the details of the attack: the ones you've endured, the ones you prepare yourself to fend off, and the ones that, you fear, will catch you completely unaware and defenseless. The Internet of Things (IoT) is nothing if not an endless proliferation of details. It's the vision of a world in which continuous Internet connectivity and addressability is embedded into a growing range of human artifacts, into the natural world, and even into our smartphones, appliances, and physical persons. In the IoT vision, every new "thing" - sensor, actuator, data source, data con...
Nov. 21, 2014 08:00 PM EST Reads: 1,337
Technology is enabling a new approach to collecting and using data. This approach, commonly referred to as the "Internet of Things" (IoT), enables businesses to use real-time data from all sorts of things including machines, devices and sensors to make better decisions, improve customer service, and lower the risk in the creation of new revenue opportunities. In his General Session at Internet of @ThingsExpo, Dave Wagstaff, Vice President and Chief Architect at BSQUARE Corporation, discuss the real benefits to focus on, how to understand the requirements of a successful solution, the flow of ...
Nov. 21, 2014 08:00 PM EST Reads: 1,397
"BSQUARE is in the business of selling software solutions for smart connected devices. It's obvious that IoT has moved from being a technology to being a fundamental part of business, and in the last 18 months people have said let's figure out how to do it and let's put some focus on it, " explained Dave Wagstaff, VP & Chief Architect, at BSQUARE Corporation, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at @ThingsExpo, held Nov 4-6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Nov. 21, 2014 07:00 PM EST Reads: 1,254
Focused on this fast-growing market’s needs, Vitesse Semiconductor Corporation (Nasdaq: VTSS), a leading provider of IC solutions to advance "Ethernet Everywhere" in Carrier, Enterprise and Internet of Things (IoT) networks, introduced its IStaX™ software (VSC6815SDK), a robust protocol stack to simplify deployment and management of Industrial-IoT network applications such as Industrial Ethernet switching, surveillance, video distribution, LCD signage, intelligent sensors, and metering equipment. Leveraging technologies proven in the Carrier and Enterprise markets, IStaX is designed to work ac...
Nov. 20, 2014 09:15 PM EST Reads: 1,351
C-Labs LLC, a leading provider of remote and mobile access for the Internet of Things (IoT), announced the appointment of John Traynor to the position of chief operating officer. Previously a strategic advisor to the firm, Mr. Traynor will now oversee sales, marketing, finance, and operations. Mr. Traynor is based out of the C-Labs office in Redmond, Washington. He reports to Chris Muench, Chief Executive Officer. Mr. Traynor brings valuable business leadership and technology industry expertise to C-Labs. With over 30 years' experience in the high-tech sector, John Traynor has held numerous...
Nov. 20, 2014 06:00 PM EST Reads: 1,301
Bit6 today issued a challenge to the technology community implementing Web Real Time Communication (WebRTC). To leap beyond WebRTC’s significant limitations and fully leverage its underlying value to accelerate innovation, application developers need to consider the entire communications ecosystem.
Nov. 20, 2014 04:45 PM EST Reads: 1,088
The 3rd International @ThingsExpo, co-located with the 16th International Cloud Expo - to be held June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY - announces that it is now accepting Keynote Proposals. The Internet of Things (IoT) is the most profound change in personal and enterprise IT since the creation of the Worldwide Web more than 20 years ago. All major researchers estimate there will be tens of billions devices - computers, smartphones, tablets, and sensors - connected to the Internet by 2020. This number will continue to grow at a rapid pace for the next several decades.
Nov. 20, 2014 01:00 PM EST Reads: 1,548
The Internet of Things is not new. Historically, smart businesses have used its basic concept of leveraging data to drive better decision making and have capitalized on those insights to realize additional revenue opportunities. So, what has changed to make the Internet of Things one of the hottest topics in tech? In his session at @ThingsExpo, Chris Gray, Director, Embedded and Internet of Things, discussed the underlying factors that are driving the economics of intelligent systems. Discover how hardware commoditization, the ubiquitous nature of connectivity, and the emergence of Big Data a...
Nov. 20, 2014 12:30 PM EST Reads: 1,775
Almost everyone sees the potential of Internet of Things but how can businesses truly unlock that potential. The key will be in the ability to discover business insight in the midst of an ocean of Big Data generated from billions of embedded devices via Systems of Discover. Businesses will also need to ensure that they can sustain that insight by leveraging the cloud for global reach, scale and elasticity.
Nov. 18, 2014 09:00 PM EST Reads: 2,004
SYS-CON Events announced today that IDenticard will exhibit at SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. IDenticard™ is the security division of Brady Corp (NYSE: BRC), a $1.5 billion manufacturer of identification products. We have small-company values with the strength and stability of a major corporation. IDenticard offers local sales, support and service to our customers across the United States and Canada. Our partner network encompasses some 300 of the world's leading systems integrators and security s...
Nov. 18, 2014 08:15 PM EST Reads: 1,540
IoT is still a vague buzzword for many people. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Mike Kavis, Vice President & Principal Cloud Architect at Cloud Technology Partners, discussed the business value of IoT that goes far beyond the general public's perception that IoT is all about wearables and home consumer services. He also discussed how IoT is perceived by investors and how venture capitalist access this space. Other topics discussed were barriers to success, what is new, what is old, and what the future may hold. Mike Kavis is Vice President & Principal Cloud Architect at Cloud Technology Pa...
Nov. 18, 2014 01:30 PM EST Reads: 1,998
Cloud Expo 2014 TV commercials will feature @ThingsExpo, which was launched in June, 2014 at New York City's Javits Center as the largest 'Internet of Things' event in the world. The next @ThingsExpo will take place November 4-6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center, in Santa Clara, California. Since its launch in 2008, Cloud Expo TV commercials have been aired and CNBC, Fox News Network, and Bloomberg TV. Please enjoy our 2014 commercial.
Nov. 13, 2014 05:00 AM EST Reads: 3,538