|By Marketwired .||
|November 14, 2012 12:00 PM EST||
BARCELONA, SPAIN -- (Marketwire) -- 11/14/12 -- Barcelona's City Council, GDF SUEZ, Cisco (NASDAQ: CSCO) and more than 30 cities plus organizations and universities from all over the world have agreed to officially launch the City Protocol as the first certification system for smart cities, as well as the City Protocol Society, an organization set up to manage it.
The announcement is taking part within the second annual edition of the Smart City Expo World Congress hosted in Barcelona. It is the result of an international meeting celebrated in July, under the title of Building Better Cities Together and the ongoing work around the definition of the methodology behind creating an urban innovation model, based on standards definition, platform integration, and technology and solutions development.
This initiative is also part of the collaboration between Cisco and Barcelona's City Council last March that envisages several strategic projects such as the Cisco® Smart+Connected Communities platform and a City Framework that will define the information and communication technology (ICT) aspects of the City Protocol, which will be embedded into the overall City Protocol model.
On that basis, City Protocol is a delivery-focused network of global cities that, in partnership with industry, research agencies and other organizations, is developing common approaches and solutions to help cities build a sustainable future. By utilizing knowledge and experiences of real city transformations, this trusted and open community offers curated guidance so that cities do not have to navigate this journey alone.
City Protocol refers to both a program of activity and to an organization that is being set up to manage it.
- City Protocol (CP) is a new, distinctive and substantial program that will enable better understanding and collaboration among the different stakeholders (cities, academia, institutions, companies, and society) that are involved in the development of more sustainable, efficient, cohesive and innovative smart cities. It will deliver benefits both within and between cities, by addressing cities in an integrated, systematic way.
- The program will be developed on an open, transparent, principled and collaborative basis, to deliver truly shared, trusted and universally useful outcomes. Using a process modelled on the way the Internet Protocol (IP) is managed to enable its continual evolution and development, the results will be thought out, debated and developed openly and internationally, using the best thinking and expertise within the City Protocol community.
- The CP program will deliver agreements developed to address issues agreed by the community. These will lead to both:
- CP-endorsed city projects and policies: projects and policies tested in cities that can be used as exemplars for other cities, along with indicators and certifications for those same projects and policies;
- Recommendations and technology standards for industry: industry-based standards, technologies and solutions which are standardized on a CP basis.
- The City Protocol Society (CPS) will be a membership-based organization whose role will be to manage the City Protocol programme. Membership will be open to city councils, industry, research organizations and other agencies involved in city transformation. However, city councils will have the largest representation in order to ensure that the CPS is focused around the needs of cities to transform themselves to meet the immense challenges they face.
- The details of the membership, resourcing needs and other issues will be developed by the City Protocol community over the next few months.
- The official launch of the CPS sets out the roadmap for the society to be fully operational by April 2013.
- Barcelona Mayor Xavier Trias: "Mayors and city leaders worldwide know that cities are increasingly aware of the chronic issues of ageing and mobility, climate change, rising energy costs, the effects of increasing congestion and security threats. The City Protocol presents an opportunity to handle all these challenges in a more open, coordinated and efficient manner."
- Seoul Mayor Park Won-Soon: "Forward-looking cities such as Barcelona and Seoul are embracing the transformation agenda. However, embarking on significant change programs is risky, particularly because it is difficult to find reliable and relevant evidence to properly evaluate the options for major new initiatives. City Protocol will help address this issue following a well-defined and common structure."
- Stéphane Quere, urban development at GDF SUEZ Corporate Commercial & Marketing Department: "The whole cycle of innovation can only be enabled by solid, trust-based cross-sector partnership working. It is only by bringing together the resources and strengths of all key stakeholders that cities will be able to meet the challenges they are faced with every day."
- Jordi Botifoll, senior vice president for LATAM: "As city officials, academics and enterprises alike seek to address some of the challenges in building and managing smarter and connected cities and communities, the City Protocol launch is a successful beginning. Cisco stands committed to this important initiative and when we look back to this date from the future, we should feel proud of a legacy we created together in an open and collaborative way."
- Manel Sanromá, director of Innovation, Barcelona City Council and coordinator of City Protocol Society Secretary: "The City Protocol Society is a trusted community that leverages knowledge and experiences in real city transformations throughout the world. It offers curated guidance so that cities do not have to navigate this journey alone."
- Charlie Catlett, senior computer scientist, Argonne National Lab and University of Chicago: "The complexity of cities (multiple parties, stakeholders, and processes) remains the most significant barrier to adopting smart city solutions. City Protocol, however, presents the best opportunity to integrate physical city infrastructures, from utilities, transportation, and real estate to city services."
- José Campos, director of San Francisco Planning Department: "The debate is no longer about why a smart city initiative is good for a city or which available options to choose, but instead about how to implement smart city infrastructures and services, including the importance of a common language and a structured approach to implementation."
- Video: Anil Menon, president of Smart+Connected Communities and Cisco Globalization, announcing the new City Protocol.
- Video: Cities of the future.
- Follow ongoing news about the City Protocol on http://www.cityprotocol.org.
- Further information about the Cisco Smart+Connected Communities initiative: http://www.cisco.com/go/smartconnectedcommunities.
- Follow Cisco Smart+Connected Communities on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/CiscoSCC.
- Follow Cisco Smart+Connected Communities on Twitter: http://twitter.com/CiscoSCC
- Follow Cisco Spain on Twitter: http://twitter.com/cisco_spain
Cisco (NASDAQ: CSCO) is the worldwide leader in networking that transforms how people connect, communicate and collaborate. Information about Cisco can be found at http://www.cisco.com. For ongoing news, please go to http://newsroom.cisco.com
Cisco and the Cisco logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Cisco and/or its affiliates in the U.S. and other countries. A listing of Cisco's trademarks can be found at www.cisco.com/go/trademarks. Third-party trademarks mentioned are the property of their respective owners. The use of the word partner does not imply a partnership relationship between Cisco and any other company.
RSS Feed for Cisco: http://newsroom.cisco.com/rss-feeds
Discussions about cloud computing are evolving into discussions about enterprise IT in general. As enterprises increasingly migrate toward their own unique clouds, new issues such as the use of containers and microservices emerge to keep things interesting. In this Power Panel at 16th Cloud Expo, moderated by Conference Chair Roger Strukhoff, panelists addressed the state of cloud computing today, and what enterprise IT professionals need to know about how the latest topics and trends affect their organization.
Jul. 29, 2015 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,158
SYS-CON Events announced today that HPM Networks will exhibit at the 17th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 3–5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. For 20 years, HPM Networks has been integrating technology solutions that solve complex business challenges. HPM Networks has designed solutions for both SMB and enterprise customers throughout the San Francisco Bay Area.
Jul. 29, 2015 01:45 PM EDT Reads: 413
For IoT to grow as quickly as analyst firms’ project, a lot is going to fall on developers to quickly bring applications to market. But the lack of a standard development platform threatens to slow growth and make application development more time consuming and costly, much like we’ve seen in the mobile space. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Mike Weiner, Product Manager of the Omega DevCloud with KORE Telematics Inc., discussed the evolving requirements for developers as IoT matures and conducted a live demonstration of how quickly application development can happen when the need to comply wit...
Jul. 29, 2015 07:30 AM EDT Reads: 273
Explosive growth in connected devices. Enormous amounts of data for collection and analysis. Critical use of data for split-second decision making and actionable information. All three are factors in making the Internet of Things a reality. Yet, any one factor would have an IT organization pondering its infrastructure strategy. How should your organization enhance its IT framework to enable an Internet of Things implementation? In his session at @ThingsExpo, James Kirkland, Red Hat's Chief Architect for the Internet of Things and Intelligent Systems, described how to revolutionize your archit...
Jul. 28, 2015 06:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,372
It is one thing to build single industrial IoT applications, but what will it take to build the Smart Cities and truly society-changing applications of the future? The technology won’t be the problem, it will be the number of parties that need to work together and be aligned in their motivation to succeed. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Jason Mondanaro, Director, Product Management at Metanga, discussed how you can plan to cooperate, partner, and form lasting all-star teams to change the world and it starts with business models and monetization strategies.
Jul. 28, 2015 04:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,752
The Internet of Everything (IoE) brings together people, process, data and things to make networked connections more relevant and valuable than ever before – transforming information into knowledge and knowledge into wisdom. IoE creates new capabilities, richer experiences, and unprecedented opportunities to improve business and government operations, decision making and mission support capabilities.
Jul. 28, 2015 04:00 PM EDT Reads: 222
The Internet of Things is not only adding billions of sensors and billions of terabytes to the Internet. It is also forcing a fundamental change in the way we envision Information Technology. For the first time, more data is being created by devices at the edge of the Internet rather than from centralized systems. What does this mean for today's IT professional? In this Power Panel at @ThingsExpo, moderated by Conference Chair Roger Strukhoff, panelists addressed this very serious issue of profound change in the industry.
Jul. 28, 2015 03:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,247
Converging digital disruptions is creating a major sea change - Cisco calls this the Internet of Everything (IoE). IoE is the network connection of People, Process, Data and Things, fueled by Cloud, Mobile, Social, Analytics and Security, and it represents a $19Trillion value-at-stake over the next 10 years. In her keynote at @ThingsExpo, Manjula Talreja, VP of Cisco Consulting Services, discussed IoE and the enormous opportunities it provides to public and private firms alike. She will share what businesses must do to thrive in the IoE economy, citing examples from several industry sectors.
Jul. 28, 2015 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,031
Growth hacking is common for startups to make unheard-of progress in building their business. Career Hacks can help Geek Girls and those who support them (yes, that's you too, Dad!) to excel in this typically male-dominated world. Get ready to learn the facts: Is there a bias against women in the tech / developer communities? Why are women 50% of the workforce, but hold only 24% of the STEM or IT positions? Some beginnings of what to do about it! In her Opening Keynote at 16th Cloud Expo, Sandy Carter, IBM General Manager Cloud Ecosystem and Developers, and a Social Business Evangelist, d...
Jul. 27, 2015 09:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,038
There will be 150 billion connected devices by 2020. New digital businesses have already disrupted value chains across every industry. APIs are at the center of the digital business. You need to understand what assets you have that can be exposed digitally, what their digital value chain is, and how to create an effective business model around that value chain to compete in this economy. No enterprise can be complacent and not engage in the digital economy. Learn how to be the disruptor and not the disruptee.
Jul. 27, 2015 10:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,020
Akana has released Envision, an enhanced API analytics platform that helps enterprises mine critical insights across their digital eco-systems, understand their customers and partners and offer value-added personalized services. “In today’s digital economy, data-driven insights are proving to be a key differentiator for businesses. Understanding the data that is being tunneled through their APIs and how it can be used to optimize their business and operations is of paramount importance,” said Alistair Farquharson, CTO of Akana.
Jul. 27, 2015 09:00 AM EDT Reads: 309
Business as usual for IT is evolving into a "Make or Buy" decision on a service-by-service conversation with input from the LOBs. How does your organization move forward with cloud? In his general session at 16th Cloud Expo, Paul Maravei, Regional Sales Manager, Hybrid Cloud and Managed Services at Cisco, discusses how Cisco and its partners offer a market-leading portfolio and ecosystem of cloud infrastructure and application services that allow you to uniquely and securely combine cloud business applications and services across multiple cloud delivery models.
Jul. 27, 2015 08:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,892
The enterprise market will drive IoT device adoption over the next five years. In his session at @ThingsExpo, John Greenough, an analyst at BI Intelligence, division of Business Insider, analyzed how companies will adopt IoT products and the associated cost of adopting those products. John Greenough is the lead analyst covering the Internet of Things for BI Intelligence- Business Insider’s paid research service. Numerous IoT companies have cited his analysis of the IoT. Prior to joining BI Intelligence, he worked analyzing bank technology for Corporate Insight and The Clearing House Payment...
Jul. 26, 2015 09:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,558
In his keynote at 16th Cloud Expo, Rodney Rogers, CEO of Virtustream, discussed the evolution of the company from inception to its recent acquisition by EMC – including personal insights, lessons learned (and some WTF moments) along the way. Learn how Virtustream’s unique approach of combining the economics and elasticity of the consumer cloud model with proper performance, application automation and security into a platform became a breakout success with enterprise customers and a natural fit for the EMC Federation.
Jul. 26, 2015 08:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,141
"Optimal Design is a technology integration and product development firm that specializes in connecting devices to the cloud," stated Joe Wascow, Co-Founder & CMO of Optimal Design, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at @ThingsExpo, held June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City.
Jul. 25, 2015 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 379
SYS-CON Events announced today that CommVault has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 17th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 3–5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. A singular vision – a belief in a better way to address current and future data management needs – guides CommVault in the development of Singular Information Management® solutions for high-performance data protection, universal availability and simplified management of data on complex storage networks. CommVault's exclusive single-platform architecture gives companies unp...
Jul. 25, 2015 01:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,944
Electric Cloud and Arynga have announced a product integration partnership that will bring Continuous Delivery solutions to the automotive Internet-of-Things (IoT) market. The joint solution will help automotive manufacturers, OEMs and system integrators adopt DevOps automation and Continuous Delivery practices that reduce software build and release cycle times within the complex and specific parameters of embedded and IoT software systems.
Jul. 25, 2015 12:15 PM EDT Reads: 445
"ciqada is a combined platform of hardware modules and server products that lets people take their existing devices or new devices and lets them be accessible over the Internet for their users," noted Geoff Engelstein of ciqada, a division of Mars International, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at @ThingsExpo, held June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City.
Jul. 25, 2015 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,521
Internet of Things is moving from being a hype to a reality. Experts estimate that internet connected cars will grow to 152 million, while over 100 million internet connected wireless light bulbs and lamps will be operational by 2020. These and many other intriguing statistics highlight the importance of Internet powered devices and how market penetration is going to multiply many times over in the next few years.
Jul. 25, 2015 09:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,480
SYS-CON Events announced today that Dyn, the worldwide leader in Internet Performance, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 17th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 3-5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Dyn is a cloud-based Internet Performance company. Dyn helps companies monitor, control, and optimize online infrastructure for an exceptional end-user experience. Through a world-class network and unrivaled, objective intelligence into Internet conditions, Dyn ensures traffic gets delivered faster, safer, and more reliably than ever.
Jul. 24, 2015 11:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,046