|By PR Newswire||
|November 8, 2012 04:01 PM EST||
TORONTO, Nov. 8, 2012 /CNW/ - Bullying can happen almost anywhere - in classrooms, on the schoolyard, on sports teams, and even at home, especially now as text messaging, social media, and online forums become a major part of how we communicate, reach out to each other and connect.
This November, Kids Help Phone is asking everyone in Canada to do something about all types of bullying by sharing this message through their social media networks and email signatures:
Bullying: it happens. Choose to make a difference. Stand Up. Step In. Reach out. Tell someone, or tell Kids Help Phone.
Bullying Awareness Week runs from November 12th to 18th. Empowering young people to stand up to bullying is not always easy. But we can all make a difference in the lives of young people everywhere when we take action like learning more about bullying; raising awareness about supports that are available to young people; and uniting to take a stand against bullying.
In a 2011 survey, Kids Help Phone found that, "as young people abandon email in favour of phone-based text messaging, text messaging [is now] the second most common platform for cyberbullying." Where social networking once was once ranked third, it now comes in first.
Adults must recognize that technology is an integral part of young people's lives and is here to stay. We now know that cyberbullying can't be solved simply by restricting young people's access to cell phones, computers, or other devices; often, the youth end up feeling alienated and alone instead. Many young people say that they don't tell their parents about cyberbullying because they are afraid of losing their technology privileges.
Kids Help Phone sought-after expertise
In May of this year, Kids Help Phone was an intervener in a case presented to the Supreme Court of Canada and the Standing Senate Committee on Human Rights advocating to protect the anonymity and confidentiality of young people who are cyberbullied. The organization stood up on behalf of children and youth to reinforce to the Canadian government that:
- Cyberbullying has become an increasingly pervasive and damaging form of bullying. It also tends to co-occur alongside other forms of bullying, extending a young person's experience beyond the schoolyard and other outside environments and into the home.
- Canada should support environments where young people are encouraged to report cyberbullying in a safe manner, without fear of retaliation.
- We must create physically and psychologically safe spaces for all young people within the school environment, and especially for certain groups that have been shown to experience higher rates and more negative outcomes because of bullying, such as young people who are or are perceived as LGBTQ.
- The Supreme Court ruled that young people, merely by their age, need their identities protected in order to access relief from cyberbullying. You can read the entire Supreme Court decision here: http://scc.lexum.org/en/2012/2012scc46/2012scc46.html
Did you know:
- In 2011, Kids Help Phone saw a 10% increase in calls during Bullying Awareness Week
- The average Canadian elementary classroom contains at least one or two students who have experienced bullying
- 10% of the contacts Kids Help Phone receives over the phone and online relate to bullying
- 65% of youth who answered a Kids Help Phone 2011 survey reported that they had been cyberbullied
- 35% of youth who answered another independent Kids Help Phone online survey said they witness bullying on a daily basis, including at school, after school, and online.
- 1 in 5 middle school students report avoiding restrooms at school due to fear of being bullied.
- 87% of students in grades 8 to 10 reported witnessing school bullying in the past year.
- Bystanders can stop bullying: Studies have shown that bullying stops within 10 seconds more than half of the time when a bystander intervenes.
What Kids Help Phone is doing to support anti-bullying initiatives and Bullying Awareness Week - and how you can join in:
- During Bullying Awareness Week, gather with the kids in your life and take some time together to visit kidshelpphone.ca's new content on bullying and cyberbullying. The kids and teens websites will feature refreshed content for kids who have been bullied, witnessed bullying or have engaged in bullying themselves; new clinically-endorsed interactive games; and tools and resources designed to help young people plan for their own safety until they are able to reach out.
- Kids Help Phone joins Family Channel as the network celebrates its 10th annual Bullying Awareness Week with a comprehensive campaign encouraging Canadian students to Join the Stand UP! Network and stop bullying in their communities. Visit www.family.ca/StandUp to pledge to Stand UP! bullying pledge and download anti-bullying resources.
- On Monday, November 12, listen for the radio-release of "True Colours." Seven prominent Canadian recording artists - Jacob Hoggard (Hedley), Pierre Bouvier (Simple Plan), Lights, Kardinal Offishall, Alyssa Reid, Febe Dobson, and Walk off the Earth - cover Cyndi Lauper's classic hit to raise awareness about bullying and raise money for Kids Help Phone. The song will be available on iTunes on Tuesday, November 13, with proceeds from each download benefitting Kids Help Phone.
- On Friday, November 16, Family Channel will also air a bullying special at 5pm EST featuring Kids Help Phone professional counsellor Caitlin Parsons. The special will be followed by an evening of bullying-themed programming.
- Tune in to TVOKids on Monday, November 19 for a special edition of the Help Zone. Kids Help Phone counsellor Duane is co-hosting and he'll be answering kids' questions about bullying. Starts at 4pm EST.
- On Tuesday, November 20, the Toronto Argonauts host the Huddle Up Bullying Prevention Program presented by Tim Hortons, an anti-bullying initiative in Yonge-Dundas Square in Toronto. A Kids Help Phone counsellor will be there to answer questions from kids and to hand out materials to the 1,000 young people expected to attend. To conclude the Bullying Prevention Day, recognized writer and speaker, Barbara Coloroso will share her insights on the bully, the bullied and the bystander; the evening starts at 7pm with a panel discussion featuring a student, parent, school administrator, police officer and a Kids Help Phone professional counsellor.
What our professional counsellors are saying
"Kids Help Phone hears from many young people who are impacted by bullying," says Alain Johnson, Clinical Director, Kids Help Phone. "Some of the youth who call us are experiencing bullying, others are bystanders, and some are bullies themselves. Empowering young people is important, because it helps them to change their situation. When we remind them that they have a choice to tell someone, to ask for help, or to reach out and be there for a friend or a classmate, it can make a big difference."
Bullying: Tips to help make a difference
- Educate yourself about all types of bullying: this includes verbal bullying, physical, social (e.g., gossip, purposely excluding others), cyberbullying, racialized and homophobic bullying (e.g., bullying someone based on the colour of their skin, or perceived sexual orientation).
- Talk about cyberbullying. Help kids understand that making negative comments online or via text message is hurtful, and that once those comments are made, they can exist online for a long time.
- Encourage them to be assertive, not aggressive. Fighting doesn't help anyone.
- Openly communicate that you will not take away their technology privileges if they confide in you that they are being cyberbullied. This is not the answer and will only make them less likely to tell you if something is happening to them.
- Be supportive. Don't minimize what your child is going through. Listen to your child and try to understand the impact the bullying is having on them, and assure them that you are on their side.
- Encourage young people to do activities that they enjoy and that help them to feel good about themselves, such as a favourite sport or hobby.
About Kids Help Phone
Kids Help Phone is a Canadian and world leader, known for our expertise in providing vital, innovative, and professional counselling services to children and youth. Since 1989 we have offered children, teens and young adults in Canada a critical lifeline of hope and support, through our free, anonymous and confidential service. Our professional counsellors support the mental health and well-being of young people ages five to 20, in urban, rural, and remote communities, by providing one-on-one counselling, information and resources online and by phone. Our internationally recognized, award-winning websites are considered a model of child-focused interactive design, and offer online counseling forums and engaging, therapeutic games, tools and information to encourage resilience and self-care. A community-based national charity, Kids Help Phone receives no core government funding and relies on community and corporate support to keep our essential service available. We're available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, in English and in French.
To learn more about Kids Help Phone, please visit www.kidshelpphone.ca.
You can also follow us at:
SOURCE Kids Help Phone
Early adopters of IoT viewed it mainly as a different term for machine-to-machine connectivity or M2M. This is understandable since a prerequisite for any IoT solution is the ability to collect and aggregate device data, which is most often presented in a dashboard. The problem is that viewing data in a dashboard requires a human to interpret the results and take manual action, which doesn’t scale to the needs of IoT.
Jul. 25, 2016 01:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,919
SYS-CON Events announced today that 910Telecom will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Housed in the classic Denver Gas & Electric Building, 910 15th St., 910Telecom is a carrier-neutral telecom hotel located in the heart of Denver. Adjacent to CenturyLink, AT&T, and Denver Main, 910Telecom offers connectivity to all major carriers, Internet service providers, Internet backbones and ...
Jul. 25, 2016 12:15 PM EDT Reads: 398
CenturyLink has announced that application server solutions from GENBAND are now available as part of CenturyLink’s Networx contracts. The General Services Administration (GSA)’s Networx program includes the largest telecommunications contract vehicles ever awarded by the federal government. CenturyLink recently secured an extension through spring 2020 of its offerings available to federal government agencies via GSA’s Networx Universal and Enterprise contracts. GENBAND’s EXPERiUS™ Application...
Jul. 25, 2016 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,810
IoT generates lots of temporal data. But how do you unlock its value? You need to discover patterns that are repeatable in vast quantities of data, understand their meaning, and implement scalable monitoring across multiple data streams in order to monetize the discoveries and insights. Motif discovery and deep learning platforms are emerging to visualize sensor data, to search for patterns and to build application that can monitor real time streams efficiently. In his session at @ThingsExpo, ...
Jul. 25, 2016 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 896
Verizon Communications Inc. (NYSE, Nasdaq: VZ) and Yahoo! Inc. (Nasdaq: YHOO) have entered into a definitive agreement under which Verizon will acquire Yahoo's operating business for approximately $4.83 billion in cash, subject to customary closing adjustments. Yahoo informs, connects and entertains a global audience of more than 1 billion monthly active users** -- including 600 million monthly active mobile users*** through its search, communications and digital content products. Yahoo also co...
Jul. 25, 2016 10:30 AM EDT Reads: 283
"There's a growing demand from users for things to be faster. When you think about all the transactions or interactions users will have with your product and everything that is between those transactions and interactions - what drives us at Catchpoint Systems is the idea to measure that and to analyze it," explained Leo Vasiliou, Director of Web Performance Engineering at Catchpoint Systems, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 18th Cloud Expo, held June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York Ci...
Jul. 25, 2016 10:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,935
"Tintri was started in 2008 with the express purpose of building a storage appliance that is ideal for virtualized environments. We support a lot of different hypervisor platforms from VMware to OpenStack to Hyper-V," explained Dan Florea, Director of Product Management at Tintri, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 18th Cloud Expo, held June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY.
Jul. 25, 2016 10:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,864
The best-practices for building IoT applications with Go Code that attendees can use to build their own IoT applications. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Indraneel Mitra, Senior Solutions Architect & Technology Evangelist at Cognizant, provided valuable information and resources for both novice and experienced developers on how to get started with IoT and Golang in a day. He also provided information on how to use Intel Arduino Kit, Go Robotics API and AWS IoT stack to build an application tha...
Jul. 25, 2016 10:00 AM EDT Reads: 982
SYS-CON Events announced today that LeaseWeb USA, a cloud Infrastructure-as-a-Service (IaaS) provider, will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. LeaseWeb is one of the world's largest hosting brands. The company helps customers define, develop and deploy IT infrastructure tailored to their exact business needs, by combining various kinds cloud solutions.
Jul. 25, 2016 09:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,127
Whether your IoT service is connecting cars, homes, appliances, wearable, cameras or other devices, one question hangs in the balance – how do you actually make money from this service? The ability to turn your IoT service into profit requires the ability to create a monetization strategy that is flexible, scalable and working for you in real-time. It must be a transparent, smoothly implemented strategy that all stakeholders – from customers to the board – will be able to understand and comprehe...
Jul. 25, 2016 09:30 AM EDT Reads: 2,102
The cloud market growth today is largely in public clouds. While there is a lot of spend in IT departments in virtualization, these aren’t yet translating into a true “cloud” experience within the enterprise. What is stopping the growth of the “private cloud” market? In his general session at 18th Cloud Expo, Nara Rajagopalan, CEO of Accelerite, explored the challenges in deploying, managing, and getting adoption for a private cloud within an enterprise. What are the key differences between wh...
Jul. 25, 2016 09:15 AM EDT Reads: 2,001
SYS-CON Events announced today that Venafi, the Immune System for the Internet™ and the leading provider of Next Generation Trust Protection, will exhibit at @DevOpsSummit at 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Venafi is the Immune System for the Internet™ that protects the foundation of all cybersecurity – cryptographic keys and digital certificates – so they can’t be misused by bad guys in attacks...
Jul. 25, 2016 08:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,274
Large scale deployments present unique planning challenges, system commissioning hurdles between IT and OT and demand careful system hand-off orchestration. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Jeff Smith, Senior Director and a founding member of Incenergy, will discuss some of the key tactics to ensure delivery success based on his experience of the last two years deploying Industrial IoT systems across four continents.
Jul. 25, 2016 06:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,497
There will be new vendors providing applications, middleware, and connected devices to support the thriving IoT ecosystem. This essentially means that electronic device manufacturers will also be in the software business. Many will be new to building embedded software or robust software. This creates an increased importance on software quality, particularly within the Industrial Internet of Things where business-critical applications are becoming dependent on products controlled by software. Qua...
Jul. 25, 2016 05:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,376
SYS-CON Events has announced today that Roger Strukhoff has been named conference chair of Cloud Expo and @ThingsExpo 2016 Silicon Valley. The 19th Cloud Expo and 6th @ThingsExpo will take place on November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. "The Internet of Things brings trillions of dollars of opportunity to developers and enterprise IT, no matter how you measure it," stated Roger Strukhoff. "More importantly, it leverages the power of devices and the Interne...
Jul. 25, 2016 05:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,020
Machine Learning helps make complex systems more efficient. By applying advanced Machine Learning techniques such as Cognitive Fingerprinting, wind project operators can utilize these tools to learn from collected data, detect regular patterns, and optimize their own operations. In his session at 18th Cloud Expo, Stuart Gillen, Director of Business Development at SparkCognition, discussed how research has demonstrated the value of Machine Learning in delivering next generation analytics to imp...
Jul. 25, 2016 04:15 AM EDT Reads: 2,410
In addition to all the benefits, IoT is also bringing new kind of customer experience challenges - cars that unlock themselves, thermostats turning houses into saunas and baby video monitors broadcasting over the internet. This list can only increase because while IoT services should be intuitive and simple to use, the delivery ecosystem is a myriad of potential problems as IoT explodes complexity. So finding a performance issue is like finding the proverbial needle in the haystack.
Jul. 25, 2016 03:45 AM EDT Reads: 2,197
The Internet of Things will challenge the status quo of how IT and development organizations operate. Or will it? Certainly the fog layer of IoT requires special insights about data ontology, security and transactional integrity. But the developmental challenges are the same: People, Process and Platform. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Craig Sproule, CEO of Metavine, demonstrated how to move beyond today's coding paradigm and shared the must-have mindsets for removing complexity from the develo...
Jul. 25, 2016 01:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,261
SYS-CON Events announced today that MangoApps will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. MangoApps provides modern company intranets and team collaboration software, allowing workers to stay connected and productive from anywhere in the world and from any device.
Jul. 25, 2016 01:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,270
Basho Technologies has announced the latest release of Basho Riak TS, version 1.3. Riak TS is an enterprise-grade NoSQL database optimized for Internet of Things (IoT). The open source version enables developers to download the software for free and use it in production as well as make contributions to the code and develop applications around Riak TS. Enhancements to Riak TS make it quick, easy and cost-effective to spin up an instance to test new ideas and build IoT applications. In addition to...
Jul. 25, 2016 12:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,896