|By PR Newswire||
|November 8, 2012 04:01 PM EST||
TORONTO, Nov. 8, 2012 /CNW/ - Bullying can happen almost anywhere - in classrooms, on the schoolyard, on sports teams, and even at home, especially now as text messaging, social media, and online forums become a major part of how we communicate, reach out to each other and connect.
This November, Kids Help Phone is asking everyone in Canada to do something about all types of bullying by sharing this message through their social media networks and email signatures:
Bullying: it happens. Choose to make a difference. Stand Up. Step In. Reach out. Tell someone, or tell Kids Help Phone.
Bullying Awareness Week runs from November 12th to 18th. Empowering young people to stand up to bullying is not always easy. But we can all make a difference in the lives of young people everywhere when we take action like learning more about bullying; raising awareness about supports that are available to young people; and uniting to take a stand against bullying.
In a 2011 survey, Kids Help Phone found that, "as young people abandon email in favour of phone-based text messaging, text messaging [is now] the second most common platform for cyberbullying." Where social networking once was once ranked third, it now comes in first.
Adults must recognize that technology is an integral part of young people's lives and is here to stay. We now know that cyberbullying can't be solved simply by restricting young people's access to cell phones, computers, or other devices; often, the youth end up feeling alienated and alone instead. Many young people say that they don't tell their parents about cyberbullying because they are afraid of losing their technology privileges.
Kids Help Phone sought-after expertise
In May of this year, Kids Help Phone was an intervener in a case presented to the Supreme Court of Canada and the Standing Senate Committee on Human Rights advocating to protect the anonymity and confidentiality of young people who are cyberbullied. The organization stood up on behalf of children and youth to reinforce to the Canadian government that:
- Cyberbullying has become an increasingly pervasive and damaging form of bullying. It also tends to co-occur alongside other forms of bullying, extending a young person's experience beyond the schoolyard and other outside environments and into the home.
- Canada should support environments where young people are encouraged to report cyberbullying in a safe manner, without fear of retaliation.
- We must create physically and psychologically safe spaces for all young people within the school environment, and especially for certain groups that have been shown to experience higher rates and more negative outcomes because of bullying, such as young people who are or are perceived as LGBTQ.
- The Supreme Court ruled that young people, merely by their age, need their identities protected in order to access relief from cyberbullying. You can read the entire Supreme Court decision here: http://scc.lexum.org/en/2012/2012scc46/2012scc46.html
Did you know:
- In 2011, Kids Help Phone saw a 10% increase in calls during Bullying Awareness Week
- The average Canadian elementary classroom contains at least one or two students who have experienced bullying
- 10% of the contacts Kids Help Phone receives over the phone and online relate to bullying
- 65% of youth who answered a Kids Help Phone 2011 survey reported that they had been cyberbullied
- 35% of youth who answered another independent Kids Help Phone online survey said they witness bullying on a daily basis, including at school, after school, and online.
- 1 in 5 middle school students report avoiding restrooms at school due to fear of being bullied.
- 87% of students in grades 8 to 10 reported witnessing school bullying in the past year.
- Bystanders can stop bullying: Studies have shown that bullying stops within 10 seconds more than half of the time when a bystander intervenes.
What Kids Help Phone is doing to support anti-bullying initiatives and Bullying Awareness Week - and how you can join in:
- During Bullying Awareness Week, gather with the kids in your life and take some time together to visit kidshelpphone.ca's new content on bullying and cyberbullying. The kids and teens websites will feature refreshed content for kids who have been bullied, witnessed bullying or have engaged in bullying themselves; new clinically-endorsed interactive games; and tools and resources designed to help young people plan for their own safety until they are able to reach out.
- Kids Help Phone joins Family Channel as the network celebrates its 10th annual Bullying Awareness Week with a comprehensive campaign encouraging Canadian students to Join the Stand UP! Network and stop bullying in their communities. Visit www.family.ca/StandUp to pledge to Stand UP! bullying pledge and download anti-bullying resources.
- On Monday, November 12, listen for the radio-release of "True Colours." Seven prominent Canadian recording artists - Jacob Hoggard (Hedley), Pierre Bouvier (Simple Plan), Lights, Kardinal Offishall, Alyssa Reid, Febe Dobson, and Walk off the Earth - cover Cyndi Lauper's classic hit to raise awareness about bullying and raise money for Kids Help Phone. The song will be available on iTunes on Tuesday, November 13, with proceeds from each download benefitting Kids Help Phone.
- On Friday, November 16, Family Channel will also air a bullying special at 5pm EST featuring Kids Help Phone professional counsellor Caitlin Parsons. The special will be followed by an evening of bullying-themed programming.
- Tune in to TVOKids on Monday, November 19 for a special edition of the Help Zone. Kids Help Phone counsellor Duane is co-hosting and he'll be answering kids' questions about bullying. Starts at 4pm EST.
- On Tuesday, November 20, the Toronto Argonauts host the Huddle Up Bullying Prevention Program presented by Tim Hortons, an anti-bullying initiative in Yonge-Dundas Square in Toronto. A Kids Help Phone counsellor will be there to answer questions from kids and to hand out materials to the 1,000 young people expected to attend. To conclude the Bullying Prevention Day, recognized writer and speaker, Barbara Coloroso will share her insights on the bully, the bullied and the bystander; the evening starts at 7pm with a panel discussion featuring a student, parent, school administrator, police officer and a Kids Help Phone professional counsellor.
What our professional counsellors are saying
"Kids Help Phone hears from many young people who are impacted by bullying," says Alain Johnson, Clinical Director, Kids Help Phone. "Some of the youth who call us are experiencing bullying, others are bystanders, and some are bullies themselves. Empowering young people is important, because it helps them to change their situation. When we remind them that they have a choice to tell someone, to ask for help, or to reach out and be there for a friend or a classmate, it can make a big difference."
Bullying: Tips to help make a difference
- Educate yourself about all types of bullying: this includes verbal bullying, physical, social (e.g., gossip, purposely excluding others), cyberbullying, racialized and homophobic bullying (e.g., bullying someone based on the colour of their skin, or perceived sexual orientation).
- Talk about cyberbullying. Help kids understand that making negative comments online or via text message is hurtful, and that once those comments are made, they can exist online for a long time.
- Encourage them to be assertive, not aggressive. Fighting doesn't help anyone.
- Openly communicate that you will not take away their technology privileges if they confide in you that they are being cyberbullied. This is not the answer and will only make them less likely to tell you if something is happening to them.
- Be supportive. Don't minimize what your child is going through. Listen to your child and try to understand the impact the bullying is having on them, and assure them that you are on their side.
- Encourage young people to do activities that they enjoy and that help them to feel good about themselves, such as a favourite sport or hobby.
About Kids Help Phone
Kids Help Phone is a Canadian and world leader, known for our expertise in providing vital, innovative, and professional counselling services to children and youth. Since 1989 we have offered children, teens and young adults in Canada a critical lifeline of hope and support, through our free, anonymous and confidential service. Our professional counsellors support the mental health and well-being of young people ages five to 20, in urban, rural, and remote communities, by providing one-on-one counselling, information and resources online and by phone. Our internationally recognized, award-winning websites are considered a model of child-focused interactive design, and offer online counseling forums and engaging, therapeutic games, tools and information to encourage resilience and self-care. A community-based national charity, Kids Help Phone receives no core government funding and relies on community and corporate support to keep our essential service available. We're available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, in English and in French.
To learn more about Kids Help Phone, please visit www.kidshelpphone.ca.
You can also follow us at:
SOURCE Kids Help Phone
As cloud and storage projections continue to rise, the number of organizations moving to the cloud is escalating and it is clear cloud storage is here to stay. However, is it secure? Data is the lifeblood for government entities, countries, cloud service providers and enterprises alike and losing or exposing that data can have disastrous results. There are new concepts for data storage on the horizon that will deliver secure solutions for storing and moving sensitive data around the world. ...
May. 24, 2016 03:30 PM EDT Reads: 850
SYS-CON Events announced today that Enzu, a leading provider of cloud hosting solutions, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Enzu’s mission is to be the leading provider of enterprise cloud solutions worldwide. Enzu enables online businesses to use its IT infrastructure to their competitive advantage. By offering a suite of proven hosting and management services, Enzu wants companies to foc...
May. 24, 2016 02:15 PM EDT Reads: 2,063
SYS-CON Events announced today the How to Create Angular 2 Clients for the Cloud Workshop, being held June 7, 2016, in conjunction with 18th Cloud Expo | @ThingsExpo, at the Javits Center in New York, NY. Angular 2 is a complete re-write of the popular framework AngularJS. Programming in Angular 2 is greatly simplified. Now it’s a component-based well-performing framework. The immersive one-day workshop led by Yakov Fain, a Java Champion and a co-founder of the IT consultancy Farata Systems and...
May. 24, 2016 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 3,826
Customer experience has become a competitive differentiator for companies, and it’s imperative that brands seamlessly connect the customer journey across all platforms. With the continued explosion of IoT, join us for a look at how to build a winning digital foundation in the connected era – today and in the future. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Chris Nguyen, Group Product Marketing Manager at Adobe, will discuss how to successfully leverage mobile, rapidly deploy content, capture real-time d...
May. 24, 2016 01:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,344
IoT generates lots of temporal data. But how do you unlock its value? How do you coordinate the diverse moving parts that must come together when developing your IoT product? What are the key challenges addressed by Data as a Service? How does cloud computing underlie and connect the notions of Digital and DevOps What is the impact of the API economy? What is the business imperative for Cognitive Computing? Get all these questions and hundreds more like them answered at the 18th Cloud Expo...
May. 24, 2016 01:45 PM EDT Reads: 2,038
In his keynote at 18th Cloud Expo, Andrew Keys, Co-Founder of ConsenSys Enterprise, will provide an overview of the evolution of the Internet and the Database and the future of their combination – the Blockchain. Andrew Keys is Co-Founder of ConsenSys Enterprise. He comes to ConsenSys Enterprise with capital markets, technology and entrepreneurial experience. Previously, he worked for UBS investment bank in equities analysis. Later, he was responsible for the creation and distribution of life ...
May. 24, 2016 01:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,726
In his session at 18th Cloud Expo, Bruce Swann, Senior Product Marketing Manager at Adobe, will discuss how the Adobe Marketing Cloud can help marketers embrace opportunities for personalized, relevant and real-time customer engagement across offline (direct mail, point of sale, call center) and digital (email, website, SMS, mobile apps, social networks, connected objects). Bruce Swann has more than 15 years of experience working with digital marketing disciplines like web analytics, social med...
May. 24, 2016 01:30 PM EDT Reads: 962
What a difference a year makes. Organizations aren’t just talking about IoT possibilities, it is now baked into their core business strategy. With IoT, billions of devices generating data from different companies on different networks around the globe need to interact. From efficiency to better customer insights to completely new business models, IoT will turn traditional business models upside down. In the new customer-centric age, the key to success is delivering critical services and apps wit...
May. 24, 2016 01:15 PM EDT Reads: 667
The essence of data analysis involves setting up data pipelines that consist of several operations that are chained together – starting from data collection, data quality checks, data integration, data analysis and data visualization (including the setting up of interaction paths in that visualization). In our opinion, the challenges stem from the technology diversity at each stage of the data pipeline as well as the lack of process around the analysis.
May. 24, 2016 01:00 PM EDT Reads: 848
SYS-CON Events announced today that ContentMX, the marketing technology and services company with a singular mission to increase engagement and drive more conversations for enterprise, channel and SMB technology marketers, has been named “Sponsor & Exhibitor Lounge Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 18th Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, New York. “CloudExpo is a great opportunity to start a conversation with new prospects, but what happens after the...
May. 24, 2016 10:30 AM EDT Reads: 686
SYS-CON Events announced today that 24Notion has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 18th Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York, New York. 24Notion is full-service global creative digital marketing, technology and lifestyle agency that combines strategic ideas with customized tactical execution. With a broad understand of the art of traditional marketing, new media, communications and social influence, 24Notion uniquely understands how to con...
May. 24, 2016 09:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,673
The demand for organizations to expand their infrastructure to multiple IT environments like the cloud, on-premise, mobile, bring your own device (BYOD) and the Internet of Things (IoT) continues to grow. As this hybrid infrastructure increases, the challenge to monitor the security of these systems increases in volume and complexity. In his session at 18th Cloud Expo, Stephen Coty, Chief Security Evangelist at Alert Logic, will show how properly configured and managed security architecture can...
May. 24, 2016 09:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,947
When it comes to IoT in the enterprise, namely the commercial building and hospitality markets, a benefit not getting the attention it deserves is energy efficiency, and IoT's direct impact on a cleaner, greener environment when installed in smart buildings. Until now clean technology was offered piecemeal and led with point solutions that require significant systems integration to orchestrate and deploy. There didn't exist a 'top down' approach that can manage and monitor the way a Smart Buildi...
May. 24, 2016 08:30 AM EDT Reads: 2,035
SYS-CON Events announced today BZ Media LLC has been named “Media Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. BZ Media LLC is a high-tech media company that produces technical conferences and expositions, and publishes a magazine, newsletters and websites in the software development, SharePoint, mobile development and Commercial Drone markets.
May. 24, 2016 06:00 AM EDT Reads: 3,376
WebRTC is bringing significant change to the communications landscape that will bridge the worlds of web and telephony, making the Internet the new standard for communications. Cloud9 took the road less traveled and used WebRTC to create a downloadable enterprise-grade communications platform that is changing the communication dynamic in the financial sector. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Leo Papadopoulos, CTO of Cloud9, will discuss the importance of WebRTC and how it enables companies to fo...
May. 24, 2016 04:30 AM EDT Reads: 2,392
SYS-CON Events announced today TechTarget has been named “Media Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7–9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, and the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. TechTarget is the Web’s leading destination for serious technology buyers researching and making enterprise technology decisions. Its extensive global networ...
May. 24, 2016 04:00 AM EDT Reads: 3,004
With major technology companies and startups seriously embracing IoT strategies, now is the perfect time to attend @ThingsExpo 2016 in New York and Silicon Valley. Learn what is going on, contribute to the discussions, and ensure that your enterprise is as "IoT-Ready" as it can be! Internet of @ThingsExpo, taking place Nov 3-5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, is co-located with 17th Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty ...
May. 23, 2016 05:00 PM EDT Reads: 4,619
The 19th International Cloud Expo has announced that its Call for Papers is open. Cloud Expo, to be held November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, brings together Cloud Computing, Big Data, Internet of Things, DevOps, Containers, Microservices and WebRTC to one location. With cloud computing driving a higher percentage of enterprise IT budgets every year, it becomes increasingly important to plant your flag in this fast-expanding business opportunity. Submit y...
May. 23, 2016 04:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,824
Internet of @ThingsExpo, taking place November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, is co-located with the 19th International Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world and ThingsExpo New York Call for Papers is now open.
May. 23, 2016 03:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,668
There are several IoTs: the Industrial Internet, Consumer Wearables, Wearables and Healthcare, Supply Chains, and the movement toward Smart Grids, Cities, Regions, and Nations. There are competing communications standards every step of the way, a bewildering array of sensors and devices, and an entire world of competing data analytics platforms. To some this appears to be chaos. In this power panel at @ThingsExpo, moderated by Conference Chair Roger Strukhoff, panelists will discuss the vast to...
May. 23, 2016 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,338