|By ACN Newswire||
|November 8, 2012 04:03 AM EST||
Hong Kong, Nov 8, 2012 - (ACN Newswire) - The second Asian Logistics and Maritime Conference, which opened this morning at the Hong Kong Convention and Exhibition Centre (HKCEC), has attracted more than 1,000 leading logistics providers and users, along with senior government officials, from 25 countries and regions. They include delegations from Canada, the Chinese mainland, Indonesia, Japan, Taiwan and the United States.
Hong Kong Advantage
Hong Kong's Financial Secretary John Tsang opened the day-long conference, noting Hong Kong's advantages in logistics, one of Hong Kong's four pillar economic sectors. "Our prime location, world-class infrastructure and extensive multi-modal transport network makes our city an efficient logistics hub in the region," he said. "We have the world's busiest airport, with cargo throughput reaching almost four million tonnes last year. Our seaport is the third-busiest in the world, handling about 24.4 million TEUs [20-foot equivalent units] last year. We also have direct cross-boundary links to the economic powerhouse of the Pearl River Delta region."
In his opening remarks, Hong Kong Trade Development Council Executive Director Fred Lam emphasised the global impact of logistics, noting both recent Hurricane Sandy, which continues to affect supply chains in the United States, and last year's tsunami and nuclear fallout in Japan, and the disruption it caused the global electronics supply chain. "More than ever before, logistics shapes economies, business and trade on a global scale," said Mr Lam. "And, more than ever before, Asia is central to the sector and its continuing growth."
Morning sessions include plenary sessions focusing on the global economic shift to Asia and its impact on logistics and supply chain management, and opportunities in emerging markets. The plenary session on the global economy's eastward shift includes panellists Scott Price, President and CEO of Walmart Asia; Syed Fakhar Ahmed, Head of Creating Shared Value & Special Projects, Nestle (China) Ltd; Joseph Phi, President of LF Logistics, the Li & Fung Group; and Riccardo Fuochi, President of Om Log (Asia) Ltd. The emerging market opportunities plenary features panellists Glen Burrows, Dell's Area Vice President for Asia Pacific and Japan, OEM Solutions; Sumeth Laomoraphorn, President, CP Intertrade Co Ltd; Dr Kelvin Leung, CEO Asia Pacific, DHL Global Forwarding; and Shashi Kiran Shetty, Executive Chairman, India's Allcargo Logistics and Belgium's ECU Hold NV.
Air, Sea, Wine and China
The afternoon features four concurrent afternoon sessions, including one on the Chinese mainland's distribution network and its growing e-trading market. China session speakers include He Liming, President of the state-affiliated China Federation of Logistics and Purchasing; Chen Nian, Chairman and CEO of the Chinese online apparel brand VANCL; and Liu Wu, Chairman, PG Logistics Group.
Martin Rowe, Managing Director of Clarkson Asia Ltd, moderates an afternoon session on Asia's maritime future. The session's panel includes Eric Ip, Deputy Group Managing Director of Hutchison Port Holdings, and Andy Tung, CEO of Orient Overseas Container Line Ltd. Another session addresses the impact of Asian consumerism on air cargo, with Ivan Chu, COO, Cathay Pacific Airways Ltd, and Edward Lau, Managing Director of TNT Express Worldwide (HK) Ltd, among the speakers.
Industry trends, opportunities and challenges related to Asia's booming wine market is on the table at the fourth panel session, moderated by Gregory De 'Eb, General Manager, Crown Wine Cellars.
Meetings among delegates can be arranged via the conference's online business-matching service. The event also includes a networking luncheon and conference reception, as well as information booths from 16 services providers, covering logistics, shipping, container terminal operations, telecommunications, legal services and other business areas. GS1 HK, the Hong Kong R&D Centre for Logistics and Supply Chain Management Enabling Technologies and Autotoll Ltd have also put together an e-logistics showcase.
The Asian Logistics and Maritime Conference is organised by the Hong Kong SAR Government and the HKTDC, in association with the Hong Kong Logistics Development Council, Hong Kong Maritime Industry Council and Hong Kong Port Development Council. Honorary conference advisors include: James Thompson, Chairman, Crown Worldwide Holdings Ltd; Akimitsu Ashida, Representative Director and Chairman of Mitsui OSK Lines, Ltd; Tung Chee Chen, Chairman, Orient Overseas International Ltd; and Marvin Cheung Kin Tung, Chairman, Hong Kong Airport Authority.
The conference coincides with HKTDC Hong Kong International Wine & Spirits Fair (8-10 November) and the HKTDC Hong Kong Optical Fair (7-9 November). The two fairs are also taking place at the HKCEC.
In addition, the Supply Chain Management Excellence Summit will take place tomorrow, 9 November, at the HKCEC. The event, organised by GS1 HK, will gather business, technology and supply chain professionals from around the world.
Video: Hong Kong's most efficient cargo centre: http://youtu.be/Ut6XaKEHcZs
A statutory body established in 1966, the Hong Kong Trade Development Council (HKTDC) is the international marketing arm for Hong Kong-based traders, manufacturers and service providers. With more than 40 global offices, including 11 on the Chinese mainland, the HKTDC promotes Hong Kong as a platform for doing business with China and throughout Asia. The HKTDC also organises trade fairs and business missions to connect companies with opportunities in Hong Kong and on the mainland, while providing information via trade publications, research reports and online. For more information, please visit: www.hktdc.com . Follow us on Twitter @HKTDC.
HKTDC Corporate Communication Department Joe Kainz Tel: +852 2584 4216 Email: [email protected]
Copyright 2012 ACN Newswire. All rights reserved.
- The Odd Couple: Marrying Agile and Waterfall
- Fanning the Flames of Agile
- Internet of @ThingsExpo Silicon Valley Call for Papers Now Open
- April and May 2014 Server and StorageIO Update newsletter
- MangoApps to Exhibit at Cloud Expo New York
- WSO2 Introduces Industry’s First Enterprise Identity Bus With the Launch of WSO2 Identity Server 5.0
- Practical WebRTC: From API to Solution
- Last Chance to Register for LTE World Summit
- The Butterfly Effect Within IT
- The Business Challenges Impacting Digital Transformation
- Stay Current on the Internet of Things
- Setting the Bar for Agile Architecture
- How to Get the Best From Virtual Employees
- Global Financial Firms Can Effectively Address Technology Risk Guidelines
- .CLUB Domain Name Extension Now Available for General Registration
- MapR Technologies Announces Upcoming June Conferences
- More Mainstream Businesses Depend on Open Source
- AMAG, HP, ImageWare Systems, March Networks and StrikeForce Discuss Security Solutions in SecuritySolutionsWatch.com Interviews
- F5 to Present at Upcoming Technology and Investor Conferences
- The Odd Couple: Marrying Agile and Waterfall
- Flexera Software’s InstallShield 2014 Release Introduces New Support of Cloud and Virtualised Installations, High-DPI Displays and Touch Devices, and Agile Development
- FlexNet Manager Suite Wins CODiE Award for Best Asset Management Solution - 4th CODiE Award for Flexera Software
- Fanning the Flames of Agile
- WSO2 Guest Speakers at WSO2Con Europe 2014 Will Examine Technology Developments and Best Practices Enabling the Connected Business
- The Top 150 Players in Cloud Computing
- Who Are The All-Time Heroes of i-Technology?
- Where Are RIA Technologies Headed in 2008?
- Success, Arrogance, Rise and Fall
- AJAX World RIA Conference & Expo Kicks Off in New York City
- The Top 250 Players in the Cloud Computing Ecosystem
- Personal Branding Checklist
- i-Technology Viewpoint: Attack of the Blogs
- Exclusive Q&A with Jeff Haynie, Co-Founder & CEO, Appcelerator
- Cloud People: A Who's Who of Cloud Computing
- Ulitzer Names the World's 30 Most Influential Cloud Computing Bloggers
- Web 2.0 News and Wrapping Up "Real-World AJAX" Seminar