|By Maria Spínola||
|December 7, 2009 12:30 PM EST||
Step 1- Determine the Bad and Good "Candidates" for the Cloud
First, start by taking a broad look at the applications and other IT resources and systems under your "control" (both existing ones and planned ones); categorize them into mission-critical (i.e., if it goes offline your company will not "survive") and non-mission-critical.
Both mission-critical and non-mission-critical can be further sub-categorized into core business practices (those that provide competitive differentiation) and non-core practices (typically internal activities such as HR services, etc.)
Then apply the following rules of thumb:
1. If mission-critical and non-core, then the application is a good candidate for deployment in the public clouds
2. If mission-critical and core, then definitely keep it behind the firewall (you may choose to put them in a private cloud or non-cloud)
3. If non-mission-critical and non-core, then deploy in the public clouds
4. If on-mission-critical and core, then it's a good idea to keep it behind the firewall (you may choose to put it in a private cloud or non-cloud)
With these rule of thumb in mind let's take a look at some more considerations of good and bad candidates for Public Clouds.
Good candidates for the Public Clouds:
• Applications that are used by a group of mobile workers to manage their time and activity (like sales support and field service support applications, e-mail, etc.);
- Software development environments;
- Applications that require system hardware or software not normally used by your company's IT operations (you can save money on IT infrastructures that you don't use often);
- Applications that are run infrequently but require significant computing resources when run, like test and pre-production systems;
- Companies who want to have backup for critical applications are good candidates for both public and private cloud computing;
- Companies that have distributed server locations and data centers (you may be able to make more efficient use of servers and storage, lowering equipment costs, and also support your IT investment more efficiently);
Bad candidates for the Public Clouds:
- Applications that involve extremely sensitive data, particularly where there is a regulatory or legal risk involved in any disclosure, will require special treatment if they are to be run on a public cloud (get legal advice before committing any applications of this type to public cloud computing);
• Applications that require access to very intensive data workloads (for example, loading the database onto the cloud may be costly) as well as any performance-sensitive application (i.e., one that is very likely to create performance problems if it is to run on a public cloud)
- Applications that require high customization (e.g., customized SaaS)
You should conduct a feasibility study that engages legal, risk, and compliance officers to determine if cloud computing is appropriate with respect to laws and regulations your business is subject to.
Step 2 - Prepare Your IT portfolio for the Cloud
Second, prepare your IT portfolio for the cloud (can be somewhere in between cloud services and installed applications).
This could be anything from new assets, to the redeployment of certain existing assets or a complete rewrite of some existing applications (remember not all your current applications are Cloud-enabled: Service Oriented Architecture and Virtualized applications are better candidates) taking always in account the security, audit and compliance systems requirements, as discussed earlier in the "Cloud Computing Challenges and Risks" section. And of course if you take an insecure application to the Cloud (either public or private), it won't become automatically secure!
Next you need to find a vendor that meets those security, legal, and compliance requirements.
Step 3 - Key Questions to Ask Cloud Computing Providers
While reading this section, keep in mind that the exact security measures don't need to be fully described by the Cloud Providers (nor should they, otherwise they may have security problems themselves) but the degree of security provided needs to be stated, then audited by you or by a trustworthy third party, so that you can be sure that the provider is doing what it claims to be doing.
These are some of the questions you should have answers to regarding your Cloud Computing providers, so that you can be confident that they are secure, collaboratively enabled, and compliant with applicable regulations:
- Where is my data and who has access to it? The provider's access control and authentication procedures should be reviewed, and companies should find out if third parties have access to the information
- How is data being protected? Ask to review the service provider's architecture to make sure proper data segregation is available; review their data leak prevention (DLP) deployment to prevent insider attacks; review the vendor's data protection techniques to ensure appropriate cryptography is used for both data in rest and in motion; and make sure the appropriate documentation is available for auditors.
• Will you maintain the features we contracted? And what are the penalties?
- What's customer support like?
- How can I ensure that my data and the cloud services will continue to be available, in the event of the provider's bankruptcy or change in business direction?
- What's the exit strategy?
Some links to information about Cloud Platforms, Providers and Enablers:
- List of Cloud Platforms, Providers, and Enablers: http://groups.google.ca/group/cloud-computing/web/list-of-cloud-platforms-providers-and-enablers
- An A to Z of Cloud Computing Companies in 2009: http://virtualization.sys-con.com/node/770174
- Research, Companies, Key Players and Platforms: http://www.cloudviews.org/2009/07/cloud-computing-briefings-about-research-companies-key-players-and-platforms/
Step 4 - Test, Deploy, Monitor and Measure ROI
One of the major benefits of Cloud Computing is the ability to test a concept relatively quickly and easily. Before making the final decision either to deploy or not to deploy (production phase) to the Cloud, you should perform full cloud integration tests. This may seem like a lot of work, but it's worthwhile because when you move a system into the cloud, you introduce a range of new variables that are beyond your experience and direct control, such as security, performance, etc.
Finally you should have monitoring systems so that you can measure the performance, as also continuing to measure the ROI. And remember this effort also takes extra time, capital, and human capital resources.
In the next article, I will give some more recommendations and also present a kind of summary of all the previous articles:
- Cloud Computing, in Plain English, to IT Directors, VP's, CIO's and CEO's
- Why Should IT Directors, VP's, CIO's and CEO's Care About Cloud Computing?
- Cloud Equals SaaS, Grid, Utility Computing, Hosting...?
- What Exactly is Cloud Computing?
- Why Large Public and Private Sector Organizations (not just SMB's) Are Seriously Considering Cloud Computing?
- What are the Cloud Computing Challenges and Risks? (Part 1: Cloud Security Advantages!)
- Cloud Computing Challenges and the Delicate Balance Between Risks and Benefits (Part 2 of 2)
- Real-World Cloud Computing Applications
SYS-CON Events announced today that CA Technologies has been named “Platinum Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, and the 21st International Cloud Expo®, which will take place October 31-November 2, 2017, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. CA Technologies helps customers succeed in a future where every business – from apparel to energy – is being rewritten by software. From ...
Mar. 23, 2017 04:15 AM EDT Reads: 876
Web Real-Time Communication APIs have quickly revolutionized what browsers are capable of. In addition to video and audio streams, we can now bi-directionally send arbitrary data over WebRTC's PeerConnection Data Channels. With the advent of Progressive Web Apps and new hardware APIs such as WebBluetooh and WebUSB, we can finally enable users to stitch together the Internet of Things directly from their browsers while communicating privately and securely in a decentralized way.
Mar. 23, 2017 03:00 AM EDT Reads: 5,312
SYS-CON Events announced today that HTBase will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. HTBase (Gartner 2016 Cool Vendor) delivers a Composable IT infrastructure solution architected for agility and increased efficiency. It turns compute, storage, and fabric into fluid pools of resources that are easily composed and re-composed to meet each application’s needs. With HTBase, companies can quickly prov...
Mar. 23, 2017 02:15 AM EDT Reads: 2,254
SYS-CON Events announced today that Outlyer, a monitoring service for DevOps and operations teams, has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Outlyer is a monitoring service for DevOps and Operations teams running Cloud, SaaS, Microservices and IoT deployments. Designed for today's dynamic environments that need beyond cloud-scale monitoring, we make monitoring effortless so you ...
Mar. 23, 2017 02:00 AM EDT Reads: 3,645
SYS-CON Events announced today that MobiDev, a client-oriented software development company, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, and the 21st International Cloud Expo®, which will take place October 31-November 2, 2017, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. MobiDev is a software company that develops and delivers turn-key mobile apps, websites, web services, and complex softw...
Mar. 23, 2017 01:15 AM EDT Reads: 3,287
In his General Session at 17th Cloud Expo, Bruce Swann, Senior Product Marketing Manager for Adobe Campaign, explored the key ingredients of cross-channel marketing in a digital world. Learn how the Adobe Marketing Cloud can help marketers embrace opportunities for personalized, relevant and real-time customer engagement across offline (direct mail, point of sale, call center) and digital (email, website, SMS, mobile apps, social networks, connected objects).
Mar. 22, 2017 11:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,937
With the introduction of IoT and Smart Living in every aspect of our lives, one question has become relevant: What are the security implications? To answer this, first we have to look and explore the security models of the technologies that IoT is founded upon. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Nevi Kaja, a Research Engineer at Ford Motor Company, will discuss some of the security challenges of the IoT infrastructure and relate how these aspects impact Smart Living. The material will be delivered i...
Mar. 22, 2017 10:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,705
SYS-CON Events announced today that Hitrons Solutions will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Hitrons Solutions Inc. is distributor in the North American market for unique products and services of small and medium-size businesses, including cloud services and solutions, SEO marketing platforms, and mobile applications.
Mar. 22, 2017 10:15 PM EDT Reads: 3,245
Your homes and cars can be automated and self-serviced. Why can't your storage? From simply asking questions to analyze and troubleshoot your infrastructure, to provisioning storage with snapshots, recovery and replication, your wildest sci-fi dream has come true. In his session at @DevOpsSummit at 20th Cloud Expo, Dan Florea, Director of Product Management at Tintri, will provide a ChatOps demo where you can talk to your storage and manage it from anywhere, through Slack and similar services ...
Mar. 22, 2017 06:15 PM EDT Reads: 3,936
SYS-CON Events announced today that Cloudistics, an on-premises cloud computing company, has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Cloudistics delivers a complete public cloud experience with composable on-premises infrastructures to medium and large enterprises. Its software-defined technology natively converges network, storage, compute, virtualization, and management into a ...
Mar. 22, 2017 03:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,178
Keeping pace with advancements in software delivery processes and tooling is taxing even for the most proficient organizations. Point tools, platforms, open source and the increasing adoption of private and public cloud services requires strong engineering rigor - all in the face of developer demands to use the tools of choice. As Agile has settled in as a mainstream practice, now DevOps has emerged as the next wave to improve software delivery speed and output. To make DevOps work, organization...
Mar. 22, 2017 03:30 PM EDT Reads: 820
My team embarked on building a data lake for our sales and marketing data to better understand customer journeys. This required building a hybrid data pipeline to connect our cloud CRM with the new Hadoop Data Lake. One challenge is that IT was not in a position to provide support until we proved value and marketing did not have the experience, so we embarked on the journey ourselves within the product marketing team for our line of business within Progress. In his session at @BigDataExpo, Sum...
Mar. 22, 2017 02:45 PM EDT Reads: 2,228
SYS-CON Events announced today that Ocean9will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Ocean9 provides cloud services for Backup, Disaster Recovery (DRaaS) and instant Innovation, and redefines enterprise infrastructure with its cloud native subscription offerings for mission critical SAP workloads.
Mar. 22, 2017 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,379
DevOps is often described as a combination of technology and culture. Without both, DevOps isn't complete. However, applying the culture to outdated technology is a recipe for disaster; as response times grow and connections between teams are delayed by technology, the culture will die. A Nutanix Enterprise Cloud has many benefits that provide the needed base for a true DevOps paradigm.
Mar. 22, 2017 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 928
With major technology companies and startups seriously embracing Cloud strategies, now is the perfect time to attend @CloudExpo | @ThingsExpo, June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY and October 31 - November 2, 2017, Santa Clara Convention Center, CA. Learn what is going on, contribute to the discussions, and ensure that your enterprise is on the right path to Digital Transformation.
Mar. 22, 2017 01:30 PM EDT Reads: 8,137
SYS-CON Events announced today that T-Mobile will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. As America's Un-carrier, T-Mobile US, Inc., is redefining the way consumers and businesses buy wireless services through leading product and service innovation. The Company's advanced nationwide 4G LTE network delivers outstanding wireless experiences to 67.4 million customers who are unwilling to compromise on ...
Mar. 22, 2017 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,415
SYS-CON Events announced today that SoftLayer, an IBM Company, has been named “Gold Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 18th Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York, New York. SoftLayer, an IBM Company, provides cloud infrastructure as a service from a growing number of data centers and network points of presence around the world. SoftLayer’s customers range from Web startups to global enterprises.
Mar. 22, 2017 11:45 AM EDT Reads: 654
SYS-CON Events announced today that CrowdReviews.com has been named “Media Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 6–8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. CrowdReviews.com is a transparent online platform for determining which products and services are the best based on the opinion of the crowd. The crowd consists of Internet users that have experienced products and services first-hand and have an interest in letting other potential buyers...
Mar. 22, 2017 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 3,277
The taxi industry never saw Uber coming. Startups are a threat to incumbents like never before, and a major enabler for startups is that they are instantly “cloud ready.” If innovation moves at the pace of IT, then your company is in trouble. Why? Because your data center will not keep up with frenetic pace AWS, Microsoft and Google are rolling out new capabilities In his session at 20th Cloud Expo, Don Browning, VP of Cloud Architecture at Turner, will posit that disruption is inevitable for c...
Mar. 22, 2017 10:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,590
SYS-CON Events announced today that Infranics will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Since 2000, Infranics has developed SysMaster Suite, which is required for the stable and efficient management of ICT infrastructure. The ICT management solution developed and provided by Infranics continues to add intelligence to the ICT infrastructure through the IMC (Infra Management Cycle) based on mathemat...
Mar. 22, 2017 09:15 AM EDT Reads: 2,325